Jump to content
    JMH
  • Author
  • 2,366 Words
  • 1,763 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Angels Ascending - 7. Part Seven

Chapter Fourteen

     

Chain of Command

     

As on every morning, Zophar made his way to the cupola atop the domed roof of the Federation Council building. There, he could see the entire walled city of Sol and the water surrounding it. The sun was just peaking over the horizon but already ships from the different Federation nations were swarming toward the mouth of the harbor. In the past two weeks the enemy had tried eight times to storm the harbor and each time his Centurions had been able to force a retreat but now, with half the catapults and arrow launchers destroyed and only a third of the boats left in the harbor, resources were becoming scarce. Still, with the trebuchets inside the city launching entire house walls ,with a range that could reach any ship crossing the lake, the Federation was not willing to send troop barges across until the city was under their control.

Field Marshal Lukas had wanted him to hold the city for three months, time enough for the thousands of Centurion youths in their last year of training at the dozen different Academy-like schools to reinforce his legions. So far, he had lasted only five weeks. If he had to make a guess, at the rate he was losing the means to fight, the battle for Sol would be over in another three.

The sky flared into fire as the sun rose over the horizon and the sound of loud thuds and explosions of the catapults and trebuchets could be heard as they sent their loads down upon the enemy fleet. At the same time, however, the enemy was returning fire and, with their limitless supply of dragon fire, the harbor was turning into an inferno. Even with their skin coated with burning fluid, however, Zophar could see his men manning the war machines.

"Shall we order the fleet to attack?" Aegis asked. These days he rarely left his General's side.

"What fleet we have left..." Zophar nodded.

At once, a blue flag was raised over the copula and the ships began to make their way out of the harbor.

     

"Sir, look," Aegis said, pointing at the row of barges now blocking the harbor exit.

"Fire boats! Order the swimmers to move them against the blockading fleet."

Aegis nodded while he wrote down the instructions. He then clipped the note to a rope cable that allowed the message to slide down to the harbor. From where they were, they could send messages to the gates, the harbor, and the garrisons.

Within minutes hundreds of Centurions dove into the harbor and began swimming rapidly toward the fire barges. Armed only with daggers and short swords, they were met by fully armored men. Still, the barges were soon cut loose and moved out of the path of Commander Cillis's flotilla. As the two fleets engaged it was impossible to determine what was happening, as the ships became lost in a cloud of smoke.

In the middle of the engagement, pillars of fire exploded among the boats as the dragon fire jars aboard the barges were lit. The fire spread from the lake wind and the ships began to pull away

With the attack repelled, the counting began. A tally mark was made on a clay board as each ship returned to its berth. After an hour four of the five war galleys were back and only one had a breach in its hull. A third of the arrow boats were gone, however, in addition to one of the trading barges that had been converted into a troop ship.

"Which of the war galleys is missing?" Zophar asked, after the smoke finally cleared, revealing only wreckage. Of all the ships he could afford to lose, a fully armed war galley was not one of them.

"It's Commander Cillis'," Aegis said without emotion."

"Damn!" Zophar cursed. He had not liked the way Cillis had challenged his leadership, but he had led the flotilla competently.

"I think we came out well...we certainly did more damage to the enemy than they did to us," Aegis said calmly.

"It is never good to lose an officer."

"Even one that was planning to betray you?" Aegis asked with raised eyebrows.

     

"We never had proof of that."

"I did. His leadership of the fleet had increased his popularity among the other Commanders. He was accusing you of hiding up here while sending others out to die."

"Is that how the other Commanders feel about me?"

"A few. Just be glad that Cillis is no longer an issue," Aegis said as he made his way toward the ladder.

Zophar sighed, and remained up on the roof trying to convince himself that what his lover had told him was true; that they were better off without Cillis' challenge to his command. Looking back down on the harbor, he saw Aegis's silver and blue armor, with the stripes of his rank on his billowing blue cloak. Zophar watched Aegis go to each of the swimmers and pat them on the back. It was Aegis's concern for his men that had attracted Zophar to him . Out of all the commanders, he would never question Aegis's loyalty.

For the rest of the day there were no further attacks. Zophar ordered another series of buildings torn down to be used as boulders for the war machines. He then visited the badly burned men who had manned the harbor wall. While most of them would heal, the scaring would leave many of them with slightly limited movement. That, though, was not as bad as the fact that most of the men had lost the tattoos on their backs, which was the same as losing their pride. Seeing that the issue of marks was the men's largest concern, even over their injuries, Zophar ordered the Famulus tattoo artists to re-etch the marks onto their skins.

By the time he had finished his inspection of the different units, it was time for the officer's meeting. There, Aegis handed out his plans for the remains of Cillis' men. Instead of assigning them a new commander, they were to join Commander Issa's men guarding the gate and bridge into the city. This left Aegis the senior officer in charge of the harbor with four other commanders under him.

His own men and four other units held the Federation Council Building and inner city where Zophar had set up his command. The east wall was still led by Commander Lorish and three units. Lorish did nothing to hide his hatred of both the general and his favorite commander. The west wall, under the command of Commander Kaada and three other commanders was the unknown group. They had voted for Zophar to lead them, but always remained silent during the officer's meeting. This left seven units in reserve, ready to reinforce any threatened part of the city or harbor. It was assumed that the next few days would be peaceful while the enemy licked their wounds. None of them knew that tonight was going to be one of the longest they had faced during the siege.

     

     

Chapter Fifteen

     

The Matriarch

     

"Are you sure we can trust this source?" Matriarch Bethany asked one of the Federation's spies.

"He did allow me into the city to see their defenses, your ladyship, and see that I returned."

"And may we ask how he accomplished such a feat?" the Jadoorian general, Darren asked.

"He swore me to secrecy."

"And why should you keep your word?" the bearded Uul noble, Raspen Vas, asked.

"I talked to him for only a short time, but I can tell you that this man is dangerous. You do not want to betray him."

"So you are scared of him, even though you are here and he is trapped inside the walls of the city," the Mathannon Matriarch laughed.

"If I remember correctly, you were not so boastful when your floating palace burned," the spy dared to laugh.

"Silence...give me this man's head," Bethany demanded of the Jadoorian general, while the spy continued to laugh.

"No...right now he is our only contact with the ‘traitor' inside Sol. He is too valuable to kill...for now." Darren smiled, seeing no problem with the disrespect his top spy was showing to her ladyship. Like most of the other Federation nations, they found the Mathannon Matriarchy to be a joke, only useful for trade. The Mathannon consumed most of the Federation's wool and cotton to weave their famous cloth, in turn clothing most of the people living in the cities and towns.

Seeing the other leaders were laughing silently at her, Bethany wanted to remove the spy from her presence before her position was worsened. "Get him out of my sight!"

"You are dismissed Richard." Darren waved, ordering the spy to leave.

"So, should we take this 'traitor's' advice?" Raspen Vas asked the other leaders once Richard was gone.

"If it is not a trap I would have to say it is a good plan," Darren replied.

"It is a man's plan...I would feel more comfortable if this came from one of their enslaved Famulus women," Bethany said, not surprising anyone. In Mathannon, men were no more than property. Long ago Mathannon had controlled the entire island they lived on, but after years of revolt, the men had gained control of the eastern portion of the island, forming the Republic of Austrola. It, too, was a member of the Federation but, since it existed in constant fear of invasion from Mathannon, it was not sending any military aid to this war.

"As you should know, the Centurions do not bring their women with them when they are at war." Darren sighed. "And even if they did, I doubt they would even think of betraying them. None of the Famulus we have captured have proved cooperative."

"Is that not proof of the level of enslavement they are under?" Raspen Vas pointed out.

"No. It just shows that they do not believe we will win. Given time, I am sure that belief will change."

"Not if we can't take a small island," Bethany laughed.

"We will, your ladyship," Darren said calmly. "Tonight the Rapa will send their canoes to the east and west walls, where they will attempt to scale them."

"Won't they just be met by the Centurion patrols?" Bethany asked.

"The walls are too narrow. A person would have problems keeping his balance, walking on it."

"Then what is the point of sending them atop it?" Bethany demanded.

"That is enough, Sister Bethany." An elderly ebony-skinned woman spoke up from the entrance of the command tent.

"Ashella!" Bethany said as she went down on her knees.

"Supreme Matriarch! What a surprise." Darren bowed.

"After receiving word of the situation, I felt my presence was needed here."

     

"Your wisdom is always welcome in council," Raspen Vas said, offering his chair.

"No, I think only one representative from Mathannon is necessary. You are dismissed Bethany."

"But you have just arrived, Matriarch. You have no idea what we are facing here."

"I am sure I will learn quickly."

"Please, let me at least stay by your side."

"No...I have another purpose for you. Austrola activity on our boarders has increased markedly. You will take your ship and a platoon of your guards and go on patrol."

"But, I'm a Matriarch, not some acolyte!"

"Then let me correct that." Ashella smiled as she lifted Bethany's black shawl from around her neck.

Feeling the fabric leave her, Bethany grabbed hold of the ends tightly.

"Let go, or I will see you serve in the breeding pits."

Bethany's face went deadly pale as the strength left her fingers. "Please forgive me, Matriarch," she begged, as she went on her knees.

"I will leave it to the will of the Mother to see what will become of you. Do well and be humble, and your star might rise again." Ashella smiled as she replaced Bethany on her chair. "Now...I think we were discussing the battle plans for tonight..." the Supreme Matriarch began as the humiliated Bethany crawled out of the tent.

"We were just discussing our plans to send the Rapa canoe men over the walls."

"Why go over when we can go through?" Ashella offered.

"And what new weapon does Mathannon have to surprise us with?" Darren chuckled. It had been his spies that kept the Supreme Matriarch informed about Bethany's poor performance.

"Just a little something we added to your shipment of dragon fire."

"What will it do?" Raspen Vas asked, curious."

     

"It will blow the thin walls of the city away, allowing your troops to invade," the Matriarch explained.

"I would like to know what this special something is you are using."

"And give away our secret?" Ashella laughed, her voice cackling.

"We are all allies here," Darren reminded the old woman.

"Yes we are and, if we win this war, we will remain so. We would never give away such an advantage to Austrola, not when we know your Jadoorian priests see us Matriarchs as heretics. So let's not say Mathannon is giving you this new weapon so much as it is loaning it to the Federation for the greater good."

"Very well then," Darren said darkly. He would have to find another way of learning the woman's secret.

"So when should we attack?" Raspen Vas asked.

"Around midnight. According to the traitor, the legion's commanders will all be gathered together for a meeting. The traitor has promised that not a single one of them will escape that meeting alive. During the chaos that will result, we will use the Supreme Matriarch's weapon to break the walls and storm the city with our troops. At the same time, our fleet will try to take over the harbor while the Dorians make one final attack at the gate. There is no way the Centurions can survive an attack from four sides. So if all works well, we will have the city, letting us finally join our armies by dawn tomorrow." Darren concluded the meeting.

Copyright © 2013 JMH; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..