Jump to content
    JMH
  • Author
  • 1,529 Words
  • 2,935 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Academy - 1. Part 1

Chapter One:

Bonding

MAP:

http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/gallery/image/5885-world-of-ares/

 

 

The Centurions speak of two kinds of Demons. One is a legendary creature fated to destroy the world. The other is more mundane... a traitor, or any man that represents a danger to the empire. The law, though, is the same for both... all demons must be killed.

Toran Vorr: Legatio Historian

Three days had passed since Jason had been changed by the anima given to him by Gideon and Alex, three days since Jonathan had been found dead, his body found floating in bed of reeds, half his body severely burned. Since then the party had been anxious, as Oktor has said, talking of the prophecy only brings tragedy.Over the days after the burial, the party continued their journey to the Academy at a near funereal march pace, crossing valleys filled with streams, ponds, forests, and a wide river. Famulus farms dotted the land everywhere, with the large private estates of the Legatio appearing now and then.With the anima of his two friends flowing inside him Jason spent every night nestled between them, after Jonathan’s death. No matter what Alex and Gideon try to do to sneak Jason away from Philip’s and Oktor’s guards, they were never able to obtain the kind of privacy the wanted to have with the Legatio however. Eventually the stone road began to twist and turn avoidingthe steeper portions of the now hilly terrain. After another week, they finally arrived at a large lake on the side of a mountain which was fedby a giant waterfall on the far side of the lake. As they traveled closer, the path was covered by a wooden roof, leading behind the waterfall and into a straight and rising tunnel. Traveling a mile up the tunnel, they came out near the side of the river that fed the falls.

 

There, a few hundred yards away and looking like a single massive 130 foot square block of white stone, was the Academy.A near perfect cube, supported by buttresses, the Academy stood ten stories high. Sheathed in white limestone it was a monument to the power of Domus. In the middle of each side was a gate guarded by green-cloaked Centurions, soldiers not part of any legion but specially appointed to the school. Around the cube was what appeared to be a large town made up of barracks, homes, warehouses, smithies and sparring pavilions. None however was higher than twenty feet and all looked insignificant compared to the cube itself.

“Welcome home.” Kristen, Jason’s only remaining servant, smiled... seeing his master’s mouth open wide in amazement.

While Gideon and Alex went to report to their barracks, Jason and the wagon holding all his furniture, supplies, and clothes was led to a row of apartments where he and the other Legatio lived. Still, the night before lessons were to begin, Jason tossed and turned — the emptiness of his bed leaving him feeling unprotected. When sleep would not come, Jason left his bed and snuck out of his apartment to the homes of the Centurion instructors.

The instructors’homes were two-story structures joined togetherto form one long barracks-like building, with chimneys sticking outevery twenty paces. Going from door to door, Jason read the names off the shingles hanging above each door until he found the one markedwith Philip’s name.

Hoping with all his heart that the door was unlocked, Jason pushed a hand against the wooden door and walked in. Inside, Erik, Philip’s Famulus servant, was busy preparing the day’s meals while it was still cool to avoid the late summer’s sun that made work in the kitchen unbearable. On hearing the squeak of the main door opening, Erik hurried to see who had arrived and, not to his surprise, it was Jason. “Jason what are you doing up at this hour?”

“I...” Jason’s now rich tenor voice replied

“Jason... Philip is at the lake. As a student, you are not allowed to go past the cave without a teacher.”

“But...” Jason tried to protest.

“Well, since I need to go down to the lake to pick up some supplies, I might as well take you with me,” Erik sighed.

Hidden in a wagon, Jason slipped past the guards at the cave’s mouth and was taken to the lake, where Erik left him to go fishing for the night’s supper. In the darkness of early morning, Jason could hear the sounds of splashing water and laughter coming from near the shore. Following it, he could see a pair of shadows embraced together in the act of love... From the glow of blue light of their anima Jason could see the faces of the two men... it was Philip, receiving the bond of the just elected Field Marshal Darius.

For some reason, Jason’s heart sank. He did not know why, but a creeping jealousy began to fill him. He did not suddenly hate the Field Marshal. He wanted to be him... to be a Centurion.

When Philip saw the look on Jason’s face, he knew what needed to be done... “Come, Jason.”

Jason knew that the lake was ice cold, but he did as his guardian asked, taking off his clothes. Philip then stepped out of the water and wrapped his body around Jason’s, the thin layer of cold water sending shivers down Jason’s spine until the warmth of the Centurion’s body replaced it. Walking backwards back into the lake, Philip guided Jason in with him until he was up to his shoulders in the icy water. His unprotected back now freezing, Jason’s teeth chattered, but soon Darius was behind him, sandwiching him in the warmth that only a Centurion could give him.

“Jason... are you upset that I am bonding with your guardian?” Darius whispered into the young man’s right ear.

“No... I just wish... I wish I could bond to as many people as I wanted, like you. I wish I was a Centurion.”

“ But you are a Legatio and a Legatio’s bond is very special because it can only be given once. It is not a decision you can change once you make it and so should not be made quickly... Would you pick Philip and not Alex or Gideon? Can you say for certain that you will not meet someone here that you will not love more?” Darius said calmly.

“I wish I could bond to everyone.”

“But you can’t. What you need to know and accept, however, is that you are well loved by all those people I just mentioned... including myself. That is why Philip and I are bonding... out of our common love for you, Jason.”

“Why do people hate? Why do people not love each other?” Jason asked, hot tears running down his face.

“Jason... you want to be a Centurion. One of the things a Centurion must do is live without regret. Just look at Gideon and Alex. They used to be the worst of enemies, but now they are the best of friends, all because of you. There is a fountain of love inside you... your mother could not destroy that. Every Centurion with whom you have come in contact has drunk from you and been filled with love. But Jason... you do not love yourself. One day I hope you will drink of yourself. For now though... you need to drink from me.”

Philip then kissed Jason passionately as his arms embraced the 20-year-old man tightly. There was no anima given in the kiss, but Philip put all his emotions into it.

Darius, for his part, stood aside and basked in the radiant love these two men had for each other. This was how things were meant to be... a Centurion with his Legatio. The only tragedy Darius saw with the moment was that, as far as he was aware, Philip and Jason were the only pair.

By the time the kiss ended, both men wanted to do more, but Philip, seeing the sun begin to rise knew that the eyes of others would not look well on him being with an uncircumcised youth. Philip was relieved that Jason seemed satisfied with only a kiss, for he was now content and peaceful. “Time for you to go back and get ready for school,” Philip said with a forced grin. He did not enjoy that this moment had to end. After he watched Jason leave in the wagon with Erik, Philip turned to Darius. “I know you have already given me your bond, but I can’t give you mine... Jason...”

“I understand,” Darius nodded. “You may still have my ring... there might come a time when you will need my authority to protect Jason.”

“Thank you,” Philip said as he took the Field Marshal’s gold signet ring, placing it on his hand next to the gold and sapphire one, just like the ring that Jason wore on his own hand. “May you and Jason find the happiness you both seek,” Darius said with a parting kiss.

Copyright © 2012 JMH; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This is great! i so want to know what happens when a legito bonds with a centurion! and i think he's definatly onto something about there bones... Either way!! Excited!!!

Link to comment
On 02/21/2012 03:58 PM, Mark M said:
This is great! i so want to know what happens when a legito bonds with a centurion! and i think he's definatly onto something about there bones... Either way!! Excited!!!
Thanks for the review. By the end of this book readers will finally learn the secret of the Legatio and Centurions. Enjoy
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..