Jump to content
    JMH
  • Author
  • 1,899 Words
  • 2,252 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Centurion - 19. Chapter 19

Chapter Six:

A New Home

While the Legatio lived in the grandest of mansions, the Famulus lived in what housing they could afford or find, and the Centurions lived either in the barracks outside the city or in their own quarter of the capital. There, men, based on their rank, lived in houses that were like miniature fortresses, with thick walls, food to last a year’s siege, and a cache of weapons to fight with. Living in such an environment ensured that the Centurions would never forget the ever present danger of war and the need for discipline.

A study of Domus architecture

Together with Philip’s Centurion friends, Jason and Philip left the Grand Hall and made their way to the Centurion District of the city on the opposite side of the square from the Legatio District. Perils was left to lick the wounds to his pride. The Centurion quarter also had its own walls, but unlike the Legatio section of the city, the buildings themselves had a fort-like look to them without gold or marble statues.

Philip, not able to contain his happiness on having Jason back, lifted the man off his feet and carried him from the Centurion Gate for half a mile till they arrived at a block-shaped building with a wooden gate of its own. To ring a bronze bell, Philip lowered Jason back on the ground and pulled the rope to the bell three times, sending out a loud ringing sound.

“Commander Philip!” An elderly woman wearing black said, on opening the gate.

“Hello mother.” Philip grinned as he gave the woman a hug.

“Philip... this is your mother?” Jason asked confused. She looked so warm and friendly, nothing like his own mother.

“She is as beautiful as the day my father bought her.” Philip grinned as he played with the woman’s long gray hair.

“Who is this!” the woman asked, her blue eyes sparkling at Jason.

“This, mother, is the son of Agamemnon, the King of Qul Tos, Jason the IX,” Philip grinned as he wrapped a strong arm around the young man. “He will be living with us ‘till he goes to the Academy.”

The woman laughed before scolding her elder son. “Oh good. And you did not even bother to write that we would have a guest? The house is a mess and your brother is brooding again. What am I ever going to do with you, boy?”

“I’m sure it will be better than the tower where Jason was kept

prisoner.” Philip blushed, embarrassed by his mother. “Well... you will have to tell me all about it then. Alex will enjoy your stories as well. So come on in. A roast is on the fire and I baked some of those pastries you love. I want you well fed before tomorrow’s parade to celebrate your return.”

“Yes mother,” Philip said obediently. “Follow me, Jason. I want to show you your room.”

“Alright,” Jason agreed. At first Jason had been scared on learning that Philip’s mother lived with him. Philip’s mother, however, was nothing like his own. She seemed cheerful and kind and a little funny. There had been nothing funny about his mother the Regent. “Are all Centurion mothers like yours?” Jason asked as he followed his protector.

“Hahahaha... I bet you have never met a mother like mine.” Philip grinned as he kissed the top of Jason’s head. “Many Famulus mothers are very kind... only in the rare case are they cruel. My mother lived with my father in his harem. She loved me and my brother Alex, but was hated by the other mothers because Alex was my father’s favorite. That is why when she was past her child-bearing years, she left my father to live here with me. As a commander, I live about as well as the average Legatio.

“This place is wonderful,” Jason replied as he continued to follow Philip into the house. Anything that was not another tower was fine with him.

Philip led Jason past a large courtyard, dominated by a fountain and rows of potted plants surrounding it, and up a set of stairs. From there Jason was taken to a room at the western corner of the house. Inside was a small bed, a desk, a wardrobe, a table and three slit-like windows that let beams of sunlight in.

“This used to be my room. Some of my old clothes are still in the closet if you want to change.”

“Thank you... I do not think I like wearing red, reminds me too much of blood,” Jason said as he peeled off his shirt.

“I know... but that is the reason the Legatio wear it, least they forget their fatal weakness. You, on the other hand, should have been born a Centurion.” Philip chuckled as he handed Jason a white tunic from the wardrobe.

“Thank you.” Jason smiled as he slipped the clothes on.

“You will have to get used to it though... wearing red that is,” Philip warned.

“Why?” Jason asked. He had gotten used to being able to choose what he wanted to wear during the long journey to Domus.

“You are a Legatio. Legatio have to wear red. It is tradition.”

“So I will get in trouble wearing white?” Jason asked nervously

“No...not here. Legatio almost never come to our part of the city. I am actually flattered you preferred our white over Legatio red. I am sure the other Centurions will think the same.”

“I think I like Centurions more than my own people.” Jason sighed, thinking about his experience with Perils.

“Well, you are one of the few who feel that way.” Philip said sadly.

“Oh?” Jason asked confused. “I thought Legatio and Centurion’s were friends.”

“We are... We are just not as close as we used to be.” “Why not?” Jason asked. “I think you need to sit down before I tell you,” Philip said, a little unsure how he was going to explain the realities of Centurion life.

Jason, seeing the worry on Philip’s face, became nervous himself, but he did as he was told and laid down on the bed.

“Do you know why we Centurions are warriors?” Philip said, thinking that was a good starting point as he lay down on the small bed, wrapping an arm around Jason’s waist.

“Because you are the best?” Jason replied as he snuggled in closer to Philip.

“Yes, but do you know why we are the best.”

“No...”

“It is because we are very difficult to kill. We can sustain wounds that would be fatal to a normal man and are able to recover from them quickly. We also enjoy the act of killing.”

“I see,” Jason said, pulling away and not because of Philip’s touch.

Philip pulled Jason back to him possessively. “Yes... but there is a cost... while we are almost impossible to kill, we live a half life.”

“A half life?”

“What I am trying to say is that we don’t have many years to live and enjoy life so we make the most of them,” Philip said with great difficulty, fighting his growing urges.

“How short a life?’ Jason asked, his fear causing his heart to pound.

Philip took a deep breath before replying. “No Centurion has ever lived past the age of forty.”

“And how old are you?” Jason asked, scared to hear the answer.

“I am thirty-two.”

“Eight years...” Jason said as tears stung his eyes. What Perils had told him had been true.

“Yes, eight years,” Philip said as he too began to cry.

“But I don’t want you to die!” Jason wailed as he turned around to cling to Philip tightly.

Philip held on to Jason with his own desperate embrace. “It’s not my choice, just as it won’t be your choice that you will live many years beyond me,” Philip said.

“I don’t understand.”

“You see while we Centurions live short lives, you Legatio can live for centuries.”

“So I will live long after you have died,” Jason realized.

“Yes... that is what has caused us and the Legatio to drift apart. You see we Centurion have an attraction to you Legatio. We don’t understand why. We just do. For a long time you Legatio loved us as well, but as time passed the Legatio had to watch their Centurion lovers die. One by one the Legatio steeled their hearts against us. Why fall in love with a man who will soon be dead.”

“I see. I’m sorry, Philip.”

Philip lifted Jason’s chin up from where it rested on his chest. “Hey... why are you sorry? You are always sorry when you have no reason to be.”

Jason returned Philip’s stare. “I know. I just wish you and the Legatio still loved each other.”

“You love us Centurions... don’t you?” Philip asked with a lopsided grin.

“Yes.” Jason laughed. “I think I do”

Philip on seeing the happiness on Jason’s face wanted nothing more than to take the young man into his arms and show him how much he loved him as well. It was not the right time, however. “I don’t want you to worry about me. We still have plenty of time. General Darius has just transferred me to the Academy so I will be one of your teachers.”

Feeling more hopeful Jason smiled again. “Really... but what will I be doing at the Academy?”

“It is where you will be trained to be a senator, ambassador, historian, artist, or whatever best suits you.”

Jason still did not understand but he nodded his head anyway. “I see...”

“You will love it there, Jason. Some of the best years of my life were at the Academy. It is where you will make the friendships that will last a lifetime. My brother is a student there right now.”

“Your brother lives with you?” Jason asked, curious.

“I have dozens... most of them only half brothers. The one I am referring to is my true brother, Alex, and yes, he lives with me.”

“So do the Legatio and Centurions go to the same school?” Jason asked hopefully, wishing that Perils had told him the truth.

“Yes... it is probably the last thing that keeps us together.”

“Can I meet your brother? Will he like me?” Jason asked rapidly... if Alex was anything like Philip then Jason was sure he would soon have a new friend.

“Yes.” Philip laughed. “The Academy is on break, so he is here with us.”

“Why did he not greet you when you came home?”

“Alex is a bit of a loner. The only thing that makes him happy is practicing.”

“What weapon does he use?” Jason asked curiously.

“The double-bladed sword like me,” Philip said with pride.

“You have a place to practice?” Jason asked hopefully.

 

“Yes we do. Do you want to get out the quarterstaff?”

“Yes I would... I did not practice this morning,” Jason said a little nervously. He was afraid of getting Philip into trouble.

Philip easily guessed the source of Jason’s anxiety and so tousled his hair reassuringly. “Don’t worry about Perils... he is more of a traditionalist than most Legatio. As for my brother, he’s is going to love you. Both of you can’t go a day without practicing.” Philip grinned as he led Jason out of the room.

This work is the original creation of the writer who holds all rights to it. 2011 All rights reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..