Jump to content
    JMH
  • Author
  • 4,204 Words
  • 2,181 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Centurion - 28. Chapter 28

Chapter Fourteen:

The Weapon Smith

While the law bans the use of weapons by Famulus, nothing prevents

them from forging them. In fact, some of the finest weapons are not

made by Centurions, but by their servants. So is the balance of power maintained.

Melkior: First High Ambassador

 

Jason, drunk for the first time in his life, had to be handed down to Alex at the ladder. Together, Kristen, Alex, and Jonathan took Jason downstairs to the small bath on the first floor. The room was always kept hot and was almost as hot as any steam room. Alex and Kristen placed Jason on one of the wooden benches in the room, where they undressed him. Next they threw a bucket of hot water on Jason and started to scrub him down. Twice they had to start over as Jason spewed out the lunch he had had hours ago. They let him soak in the hot wooden tub for a while but with Jason’s drunken state, he had to be watched constantly by Alex and the two Famulus. Jonathan and Kristen then dressed Jason in a white robe and with Alex following carried him back to his room.

“I’m never going to drink again,” Jason sighed as Alex, having dismissed the Famulus, tucked him into bed.

“Oh you will have to, sometime... soon you will be celebrating your first weapon mastery, your first time with a man, then with a woman, maybe even your first kill.” Alex grinned.

“I hope I never get that mark,” Jason replied.

“Sorry, I got a little too excited...” Alex apologized, “but you should be happy. I’ve never seen a tattoo ceremony like yours. You even had a Field Marshal.”

“Who was at yours?” Jason asked Alex.

“Just three of my teachers. If my brother had not been away at the war I’m sure more would have come.”

“Next time I think I would like a smaller one. Those kisses...”

“Yes. I bet they hurt.” Alex laughed.

“Why are you laughing?” Jason asked, not understanding.

“Because you didn’t yell... you impressed everyone by not making a sound.”

“Did you make a sound?”

“The first time... yes. I was only 12 though.”

Jason’s eyes went wide on hearing that. “Twelve! What was the mark for?”

“My first weapon mastery... the quarterstaff.” “You mastered the quarterstaff before you even dueled?” Jason

asked.

“Yes.”

“Then I should not have dueled.”

“No... you were good. All the men thought you were ready for it. When you have your first duel you have to face a grown adult as they can make sure you do not get hurt. There is no way a twelve-year­old child can face a fully grown Centurion and win. You, on the other hand, did a good job against Philip. He was not expecting you to block him hard.”

“Thanks to you,” Jason smiled, as he felt sleep approach.

“You are welcome. Now get some sleep, you are going to need it. Tomorrow you will have to deal with your first hangover.”

“A hangover?” Jason asked confused.

“You’ll see.” Alex laughed as he left Jason alone. After Alex was gone, Kristen came back in and changed Jason’s bandage, putting on a fresh salve of Centurion bone.

“Goodnight, Jason.” Kristen smiled as he joined Jason under the sheets.

“’Night,” Jason sighed as his drunken weariness put him into a deep sleep.

As he slept, Jason’s dreams were filled with nightmares... of demons wandering the earth, of men with wings blocking out the sun, all moving away from the ruined city of Qul Tos. In the middle were Philip and Alex, fighting, double-bladed swords in hand.

In the background was Jason’s mother, snickering.

 

When Jason awoke he saw two men standing over him, Field Marshal Darius and Philip. Both men were stripped down to their loincloths and had their arms wrapped around each other.

“I think he’s awake.” Philip smiled as he nuzzled up against Darius.

“Good... I want to give him my gift before we finish up our business.” Darius smiled as he kissed the top of Philip’s head.

“Jason, can you sit up?” Philip asked, trying not to get too caught up in Darius’ attentions.

“Yes,” Jason said, his head hurting.

“I want to give you this,” Darius explained, as he took out a dagger in a gold sheath. “I know you are not supposed to have anything sharp, but in your father’s will he wanted you to have this.”

Jason took the dagger from Darius’ hand, not sure what to do with it.

“Take it out,” Philip encouraged.

Carefully Jason drew the blade out. Unlike the gold sheath it was in, the dagger was plain and coated with dried blood.

“It is the weapon your father drew his first blood with. Even though he knew you were a Legatio, he wanted you to have it,” Darius explained.

“Do you remember my father?” Jason asked, his eyes glued to the knife, looking for any clues about his father’s past.

“I do, but I was only a student at the Academy when he was alive. He was a good man and a great general. Only three other generals have had more poems and songs written about them.”

“Can I read them?”

“You will be studying them at the Academy and will most likely have to recite a few of them for class. I hope you can sing,” Darius teased.

“I don’t know. I have never tried,” Jason said as he put the knife back into its sheath.

“Jonathan has a very good voice. I will have him help you,” Philip offered.

“Thank you.” Jason yawned, sending a sharp pain up his skull.

“I will also ask Erik to see to you.” Philip laughed, seeing that Jason was very much hung over.

While Philip and Darius went off to be with each other, Erik came in with his black bag. “Now what seems to be the problem?”

“My head feels like a knife is stabbing it,” Jason complained.

“That should teach you to drink too much.”

“They didn’t give me much of a choice,” Jason insisted.

“I know. That is why I am going to treat you, otherwise I would just let you deal with your hangover as a lesson,” Erik warned, but smiled at the same time.

“What are you going to do?” Jason asked worried. He did not know what Erik could do, but was afraid it would take opening his skull.

Erik opened up his case, took out a stained glass jar and pulled out a small round pill. “Swallow this... it will take care of your headache.”

“Thank you...” Jason said as he swallowed the pill.

“Now get up out of bed... Kristen needs to take you shopping for school.”

“When do I go to the Academy?” Jason asked.

“In two weeks,” Erik told him

“Is the Academy inside the city?”

“No, it is about 60 miles away, closer to the mountains. We will have to get you some warmer clothes for it, your school books, and a few other things.”

Jason hopped out of bed, and hurried to relieve himself in a small closet-like room down the hall. When he came back, Kristen was there waiting for him, red shirt and pants in his hands.

“I prefer white,” Jason said with a pleading look.

“You are a Legatio... you have to wear red,” Kristen insisted, shaking the red pants at Jason.

“Why? Philip does not mind me wearing white.”

“Inside the Centurion quarter you can wear white, but we are going to the market today. I can’t have you running around in white. My own honor is at stake.”

Seeing that Kristen was not going to let him leave unless he wore red, Jason gave up. “Fine...”

After getting dressed, Jason went downstairs to have breakfast. Caleb was busy stirring a pot of oatmeal while Alex sat at the table with a peculiar look on his face. Caleb smiled at Jason and handed him a large bowl of oatmeal covered with raisins, honey and pecans.

“How do you feel?” Alex asked, not taking his eyes off his food.

“I still feel a little sick to my stomach but my headache is going away.”

“Good,” Alex sighed.

“Did you sleep?”

“I was barely able too... Caleb snores like a bear,” Alex complained.

“I told you, Alex, that I only snore when I sleep by myself,” Caleb laughed.

“You are just making that up,” Alex accused.

“No, it’s true. When I sleep alone I tend to sleep on my back, but when I have some one to snuggle up to I always sleep on my side,” Caleb explained.

“Then how about you do both of us a favor and just sleep on your side all the time.”

“I would but unless I have someone to hold I can never stay on my side.”

“You are not getting in bed with me, Caleb,” Alex insisted.

“Then you will just have to put up with my snoring,” Caleb laughed.

“I’m starting to think switching body servants was a mistake,” Alex whispered to Jason.

“I can tell you that Kristen doesn’t snore.” Jason grinned.

“Then after I’m sure that Caleb is not going to kill you do you think we can switch back?”

“You could always ask Gerick to be your body servant.” Jason laughed.

“He looks like he could break me in two just dressing me,” Alex replied.

“I would not!” Gerick’s voice boomed as he came in. “I made you this, master Jason,” the large man said as he handed Jason a dark polished wooden flute.

“How do I play it?” Jason asked as he took the delicate instrument in his hands.

“You blow across the large opening here.” The man pointed with one of his massive fingers.

“Alright...” Jason said. He blew across it, making an airy whistle.

Gerick gave Jason a hearty pat on the back. “Good... I will make a musician out of you yet.”

“Thank you, Gerick.”

“You’re welcome.” Gerick smiled as he ruffled Jason’s hair. He was just leaving when he turned his attention to Alex. “I could sleep with Caleb and keep him in line for you.”

“Won’t the cot get crowded?” Alex asked.

“I can make a new bed. I am a carpenter, you know.”

“Anything to let me get a good night’s sleep.” Alex sighed.

“Don’t I get a say in any of this!” Caleb complained.

“No...” Alex cut him off.

“Want to arm wrestle to see who gets the outside spot on the bed?” Gerick laughed as he pulled up his sleeve, showing off one of his

massive biceps. “No... I know when I can’t win,” Caleb sighed.

“Come, Jason, let us leave the two of them settle this on their own,” Alex said as he finished off his porridge.

“Alright...” Jason agreed, rushing to finish up.

Leaving the kitchen for the courtyard, Jason and Alex ran into Erik and Kristen. “Are the two of you ready to go shopping!” Erik asked eagerly.

“Yes!” Alex said excitedly.

“I guess so,” Jason said nervously. With his mother’s obsession over taxes, money was something he understood all too well.

“What’s wrong?” Erik asked.

“I don’t know how I can pay for my school things. I don’t think it would be right for me to ask Philip.”

“Philip would have been more than happy to pay for you, but don’t worry, as King of Qul Tos you inherited the country’s wealth, minus the Centurion pillage tax of twenty percent of course.”

“I don’t understand,” Jason said confused. “From what my mother had told me, the whole country was burned and looted.”

“Yes... most of the rest of the world does not understand as well, but it is the way the Centurions do things. When they invade a land, they collect all of its wealth, but once the war is over they return all but a fifth of it... a sort of tax. It is sort of like having your meat without killing the calf. Since you are the only person left who can receive the

wealth of Qul Tos, you have inherited it all.” “How much money does Jason have?” Alex asked, curious.

“Three million, two hundred sixty three thousand, five hundred and twenty three gold standards.”

“What! That must make him the richest man in Domus,” Alex shouted.

“Almost... Qul Tos is famous for its silver and gem mines, making it one of the richest kingdoms in the world. Senator Perils’ family, as a whole, has more wealth, but it is divided among several people. There are also the Field Marshals who control the Centurion treasury, which is several times larger than what Jason has.”

“So he is the second wealthiest man in all of Domus.”

“Yes.” Erik nodded.

“Jason... why are you living with us... I mean you could build yourself a palace in the Legatio quarter if you wanted to,” Alex asked.

“He already has one.” Erik laughed,

“I didn’t know I had so much money and a house, but if you let me I would like to stay. Your home is the nicest place I’ve ever lived.”

Alex raised his eyebrows on that. “You do know you could do a lot better.”

“I don’t think so... you can’t buy friends. I couldn’t pay Philip and you to like me.”

“Well, I wouldn’t mind getting paid.” Alex laughed. “But you’re right; a true Centurion would see that as an insult.”

“Then can I keep living with you and Philip?” Jason asked nervously.

“Yes you can.” Alex grinned as he hugged Jason. “Just remember that I turn twenty-one soon...”

“A birthday gift?” Jason laughed.

“Yes,” Alex blushed.

“Come, young masters, it is time we arrived at the market.” Erik nudged them along.

“Don’t I still need some money?” Jason asked.

“I already took care of that for you.” Erik smiled, taking out what looked like two necklaces. They were made up of hundreds of identical gold coins, one side with the letter L stamped on it the other with a C. “I think 500 gold standards will be enough for Master Jason.”

“500...! Alex exclaimed. “How much did Philip give you for me!”

“60 gold standards and 20 silver pence,” Erik said as he took out two smaller necklaces.

“I’m sorry, Alex,” Jason said embarrassed.

“Sorry! Philip is giving me 10 more standards than last year. He must have already received his victory pay.”

“Victory pay?”

“Yes... a portion of what is looted during a war is paid to the Centurions who fought it as soon as the war is ended. Philip was a commander so his victory pay must have been high.”

“I see,” Jason said still embarrassed by the amount of money he had compared to Alex. “Do I really need to spend that much money?” he asked Erik.

“Don’t worry Jason... unlike Alex, Legatio students’ school expenses are not paid for by the Domus treasury. All that Alex needs to buy are some extra clothes, his writing materials, and a few other things. You, on the other hand, have to buy your uniform, your winter clothing, and all your books. You will also need to buy the furniture for your apartment, a supply of paper and ink, as well as a few other things that a normal Legatio would need to have to be comfortable.

“What other things?” Jason asked curious.

“Well, Philip sent a message to the Commandant asking permission for you to continue training with the quarterstaff. He wants me to find the best weapon smith and have one commissioned for you. We will also see a tanner about getting you perfectly fitted for a set of armor... so you’d better not grow on us any more, young master.”

“I grew a lot on the trip here.” Jason laughed.

“Yes, you did, but you were given Centurion anima... it has the effect of not only stimulating growth but also speeds up physical maturity. When you arrive at school most of the other Legatio will look younger than you as most of them don’t finish growing till their mid­ twenties.”

“So I might be mistaken as a Centurion!” Jason laughed. “You just might.” Erik grinned.

While on their shopping expedition Jason was stopped several times to receive the thanks of several Famulus. A few of them even claimed to have eaten the bread that Jason had thrown over the wall, more than he remembered ever baking. At the shops, however, it was completely business, for while the Famulus shop clerks were very friendly and polite, pricing was strictly controlled by their Legatio masters. Very quickly the gold started to come off their chains as the purchases mounted. Erik even had to rent a mule and wagon to carry it all.

The last stop was the weapon smith. Alex still had 12 gold standards left and was eager to see what he could get for them.

“Hello, masters.” The shop clerk bowed.

“Is weapon smith Logan available,” Erik asked.

“He is working in the smithy right now, shall I tell him he has customers?”

“Yes... but do not let it interrupt his work.” Erik smiled.

As they waited for the weapon smith, Alex went over to a stand of double-bladed swords, lifting each one in his hands to test their balance. On a separate stand another sword caught his eye. It was a double sword but with the curved blades of a scimitar. Alex took it into his hands, and felt its perfect balance. Then, as if afraid to be caught with the weapon, he put it back on the stand.

“Go ahead... do a few exercises with it,” a deep voice came from the back room.

Alex almost jumped on seeing he had been caught.

“Go see how smoothly it swings in your hands,” the gray-haired weapon smith encouraged.

Slowly at first, but then faster, Alex went through all one hundred exercises of the double-bladed sword. Alex could hear a whistle as the sword cut its way through the air. The weapon felt so perfect in his hand that when finished with the final exercise he found he could not relax his grip from the handle. “Beautiful...” the master weapon smith cheered. “That sword has been waiting for a master to take hold of it for three years.”

“You mean no one has ever used it?” Alex said amazed.

“No,” Logan replied.

Alex found he could not take his eyes off the perfect weapon. “Why... the sword is a piece of art.”

“Yes, but how many double-blade masters do you know?”

“My brother would love this sword,” Alex replied.

“But could he afford it.” Logan grinned.

“How much?” Alex asked, knowing it had to be way out of his reach.

“200 gold standards.”

“200 gold standards!” Alex said in disbelief. “No one would buy a sword for 200 gold standards.”

“No Centurion would,” Logan agreed.

“Why did you make it then?”

“I wanted to see if I could. It was a challenge... something I think a Centurion could appreciate.”

“I will never be able to afford it.” Alex sighed as he put the sword back in its stand.

“How much money do you have?” Logan asked curious.

“12 gold standard and 32 silver pence,” Alex replied glumly.

“Then may I recommend this?” Logan said as he went to where the other double-bladed swords were kept. He selected one with a blood-red handle and copper hilt. “Try this one out.”

Alex took the sword in his hands and did a few exercises with it. “It has almost the same feel.” Alex grinned.

“It should, it was one of my failed attempts at making my masterpiece.”

“A failure? It is near perfect,” Alex exclaimed.

“Almost, but not perfect,” Logan sighed as he took the sword back from Alex. “Let me show you.”

Alex handed the sword back to Logan. Logan put a single finger under the hilt of the sword, letting it balance. It swung up and down a few times but eventually settled nearly balanced with only a small dip to one side. “See?” Logan said with a disappointed look.

“It’s just a little off,” Alex said, not seeing the problem.

Logan sighed again, seeing that the boy was too young to understand the true meaning of the word ‘masterpiece’. “Yes... just a little off... still too much for me.”

“How much is this sword?” Alex asked, still expecting it to be high.

“For you, 12 gold standards.”

“What... why so little.” Alex said in surprise.

“You are a double-sword master, I always give a discount to a weapon master.”

“It must be a large discount.” Alex laughed.

“Not at all... I priced this sword at 15 gold standards.”

“Why?” Alex said, still surprised.

“Well, the handle is made of wood and the hilts are made of copper. And yes, the blades are made of iron, not the fine steel of my masterpiece. My masterpiece has a steel grip and gold hilts... that adds a lot to the cost.”

“I see.” Alex smiled. “Only a Legatio would care for such a frivolous decoration .”

“Yes.” Logan smiled knowingly. “But what Legatio would buy a weapon in the first place. So I think I’m stuck with it for now.”

“I guess so.” Alex grinned. “Will you be purchasing the sword?” Erik asked.

“Yes... most definitely yes,” Alex said eagerly.

“Then here you go, weapon master.” Erik smiled as he tossed Alex’s remaining gold coins over to the weapon master.

“Thank you for your business.” Logan bowed as he pocketed the money and started to head back to his smithy.

Seeing that Logan was leaving without Jason taken care of, Erik called after him. “We have more business with you, weapon master.”

“Oh...” Logan smiled broadly, turning back to face his customers.

“We need a quarterstaff for the young master here.” Erik pointed to Jason.

On seeing the red-dressed youth, Logan burst into laughter. “A Legatio! Hahahahahahaha... what you want is a walking stick. I know a good carver who can make you one.”

While Alex did chuckle, Erik’s face took on a serious look. “No, weapon master, you are very much mistaken. The son of Agamemnon wishes to learn the quarterstaff... as a weapon.”

“The son of Agamemnon... I think I understand now, but still I don’t believe it. Show me what exercises you know,” Logan insisted, pointing to where several iron-clad staves rested.”

“Let me help you with your shirt,” Kristen offered, lifting the red fabric off Jason’s body.

“By the demon!” Logan exclaimed as he saw the tattoos on Jason’s back. “Never mind... I believe you now.”

“Still, you need to see how the boy holds a staff if you are going to make him one.” Erik snickered... enjoying the weapon master’s surprise.

“Go ahead!” Logan said, eagerly wanting to see how a Legatio handled a weapon.

Nervously, Jason went through the four-dozen exercises he knew. The iron-clad staff was a lot heavier than the pure wood ones he was used to, but then his swings now had some real power to them. When he finally finished, his arms were tired and a sheen of sweat covered his body.

Logan did not say a word for a long moment, but all could see the wheels in his mind were turning. Finally though he gave his opinion. “I think I will need to make two staves... a wooden one for him to practice with and another, heavier one for dueling. I must say he does have talent though... more than I expected from a Legatio.”

“Good... how long till the weapons can be ready.” Erik asked.

“The practice staff I can have done in a week, his dueling staff I want to spend some real time with. I will need a month for it.”

“Fine, I don’t expect Jason to be dueling in his first few months at school. What of the cost?” Erik chuckled.

“Sixty,” Logan said with a straight face.

“Sixty!” Alex said in disbelief.

“Yes... I will need to have special wood brought in from Aquanos, but it is not so simple as having a single piece of wood brought over and that being that. I will have to buy at least a dozen logs before I find one with just the right wood. Then I will want to clad the staff in thin steel instead of iron, protected from rust with gold leafing. All of that costs money.”

“Sound’s like a very heavy weapon,” Erik said concerned.

“It will be heavy... at least forty pounds. I am not making a staff that I expect him to be able to use from the start but the one he will use when he is stronger and a master.”

“Looks like you will be spending a lot of time at the gymnasium.” Alex laughed.

“Will I ever be able to use it?” Jason asked Logan nervously.

“If you work hard, one day you will, and with it you will be almost invincible in a duel. Not even Alex’s sword will be able to block your staff.”

“I hope he never has to!” Erik sighed.

This work is the original creation of the writer who holds all rights to it. 2011 All rights reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..