Jump to content
    JMH
  • Author
  • 4,524 Words
  • 1,470 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Wedding Ring - 6. Chapter 6

"Revenge... I like it." Darren agreed as he chuckled. "So, what should we do with our picture?"

"Let's see... keep it. At least I plan to... if you don't mind that is."

"Sure... it doesn't bother me if you have it... it's other's that I don't know about."

And that is what happened. Will had the picture framed and kept it by his bedside wherever he and Darren lived. As Darren remembered this, it became obvious to him how blind he had been. Will loved the picture so much because it reminded him of the brief moment he'd shown his true feelings for Darren, despite Darren's blindness about the love he had for him.

"Can I come with you?" Darren asked as Mrs. Fist headed for the exit.

"Certainly you can come, Darren. Will's room is in the building across the street, but I think we can make it together," She smiled as she returned and took hold of Darren's wheelchair.

For a woman entering her early sixties she was in fine shape. Each time Darren would try to take over she would slap his hands back into his lap. When they reached Will's floor, she left Darren in the hall as she went in to see her son. After a good ten minutes she came back and let Darren wheel himself in.

What Darren saw this time was less disturbing than before. The bruises that had covered Will's face were for the most part gone. The only blemishes were the marks and stitches from the reconstructive surgery on Will's nose. His arm was still in a cast but the straps that had held him down were gone. His hair was growing back unevenly due to the head surgeries he'd had. Darren was saddened by how old Will now looked. His body had lost a good twenty pounds, most of it muscle and the wrinkles that used to show up when he smiled were now ever present on Will's face.

When Darren entered the room, Will's attention was completely taken by the photograph his mother had left by his bed. It was not until Darren was right next to him that Will noticed he was there.

"How ya doing buddy?" Darren asked, trying to hold back the tears.

Will looked away from the photograph and looked at Darren as if in shock before he was able to speak in a very labored fashion. "Nnnnoooooot deaaaaaad."

"That's right Will. You're not dead."

"Nooooo, Darrrrrr-ennnn nnnnnoooot deaaaaaaad."

"That's right too. I'm not dead." Darren said though his tears. The way Will was speaking was almost like a child trying to talk underwater.

Will lifted his one good hand and slowly placed it on top of Darren's shoulder. Darren could feel Will try to squeeze but he couldn't get all his fingers to make the same motion so Darren put his hand on top of Will's and held it down.

"So... when are we going to get you out of here so we can get married?"

"Marrrrrrried?" Will asked confused.

"Darren..." Will's mother began. "Will doesn't remember anything about the last few years. The doctor says he might get more of his memory back but anything in his short-term memory is gone for good. The only person he seems to remember is you and I."

"So he doesn't remember."

"No, he doesn't remember the wedding or the accident. All he knows is what I told him, that you and he were in a bad car accident but that you were all right. He seemed to not believe me when I told him you were ok."

As if on cue, Will patted Darren on the back while he looked at his mother. "Darrrr-en O-K." He said slowly.

"How soon till his speech is better?" Darren asked Mrs. Fist.

"Better? This is better. When he first awoke he wasn't able to say anything, only grunt. The doctors say his brain is trying to build new connections around the damaged portions, but it will take time and he might never be as fluent as he used to be."

"Is there anything I can do?'

"Yes there is," A woman said as she entered the room, carrying a stack of cards and a clipboard.

"Who are you?" Darren asked

"Oh Darren, this is Ms. Wilson, Will's speech therapist." Mrs. Fist explained.

"Hi." Darren replied unsure on how he should respond.

"Hello." She replied in a no nonsense-like fashion. "It's good to finally meet the "Darren" Will's been talking about. It was one of the first words he had me work on. He really wanted to be able to say it right."

"..." Darren could not reply, a little stunned.

"I kept on asking him if you're his lover but whenever I bring the subject up he clams up on me."

To these words Darren felt Will's hand leave his side as Will turned to face the empty side of the room.

"See." Miss Wilson said as if her point was just proven. "Now I really need your help if I'm going to get any work out of him."

"Sure, I'll do anything to help."

She walked over to Darren with a smile that warned Darren that he should of never have said those fatal words. "Good, I need you to go through these flash cards with Will." She said as she dropped them into Darren's lap.

"Isn't that your job?" Darren complained as he fingered the 300 or so cards.

"Yes, but I think we'll get better results if you do them. He likes you better then me anyway."

"Will, do you want to work on these cards." Darren asked.

"Nooooo." Will replied, not turning around to face them.

"Well, if you don't work on the cards I'll have to ask Darren to leave." Ms. Wilson said menacingly.

Will sighed and slowly turned around to face Darren but not before giving Ms. Wilson an evil stare. "See, nothing is wrong with his thinking. He knows who the villain is." Ms. Wilson smiled before taking a seat next to Darren.

Darren began to feel sorry for Will, with a therapist like this, who would look forward to her visits. But he could also see that Ms. Wilson took her job seriously and would use any means at her disposal to get Will to talk again even if that meant being a little sadistic.

It took a good hour before Darren and Will finished the cards to Ms. Wilson's approval and both had sore voices by the end of it. As she put her things away she gave Darren a hug, thanking him for his help. "That's the most work I've been able to get from him. We need to set things up so you're here more often. Now give him a kiss and leave him to his nap."

Will on hearing those words once again turned his back toward Darren. Darren though carefully lifted himself from his wheelchair and gave Will a kiss on the cheek. He thought he would of gotten a smile from Will but what he got instead was a whimper and a long, low "Nooooooo."

Darren didn't know how to take it but carefully went back to his chair and let Will's mother wheel him out.

"I'm sorry Darren. Ever since Will woke up all he's been able to think about is you but it seems he's reverted to the days when he hid his feelings about you. He still loves you but now he thinks he has to bury it again."

"I guess I have to bring it out of him again."

"No Darren... this time you get to wait. Just as it was hard for him to get you to see that you loved him it's going to be hard for him to relearn that it's ok to love you. Just be his friend and no matter what he says, don't leave him."

"I'll do that." Darren agreed.

Jacob was almost at his wits end. When the doctor came back to inform them that Darren was ok Jacob almost panicked when Darren was still gone. He had the hospital do a floor-to-floor search for him. It was only when Jacob arrived on the ICU floor that he remembered Will was also at this hospital. It then became a quest in finding Will for Jacob was sure that wherever Will was Darren had to be. It was not that he was worried that Darren would become upset on seeing Will, far from it. What Jacob feared most was that he would lose Darren to Will. For while Jacob really liked Will as a person. He hated him as a romantic rival.

Jacob felt guilty in "stealing" Darren from Will but as far as Jacob was concerned all was fair in love and war, and in Jacob's case, he was at war with Will. Why did the most perfect guy have so many other love interests? First it had been his sister and then came Will. Why couldn't Darren see him as the perfect mate, Jacob had to ask himself over and over. Jacob knew he had made an error in letting himself fall in love with Darren when he was in the hospital. He had heard of all those stories of nurses falling in love with their patients. Jacob just thought that would never happen with him. It might have been that he already had an infatuation with Darren before he entered the hospital, but now after weeks of taking care of him, Jacob was now obsessed. He wanted Darren and he was no longer willing to share him with anyone. For the first time in his life Jacob felt he had a REAL boyfriend. He never thought he would ever have one, especially with the men his sister had been picking out. But now that he one... he was afraid of losing him

Jacob was finally able to learn where Will was and so headed for the building across the street. It was while he was waiting at the crossing light that he saw Darren waiting at the opposite end. Darren also noticed him at around the same time and waved nervously as his face took on a guilty look.

Deciding he wouldn't bother to cross the street, Jacob crossed his arms and began to pout. He wasn't going to yell at Darren but he was going to make sure Darren knew he was unhappy.

"Sorry hun..." Darren said with guilt showing on his face as he wheeled up to Jacob.

"Umm hummm!" Jacob hummed in a sign of his displeasure. "The doctor came by. Your x-ray was negative."

"That's good!" Darren tried to say cheerfully in an attempt to put a positive spin on things but Jacob's glare showed that his attempt fell flat.

"Sorry for running off." Darren finally apologized as Jacob fell back to take control of the wheelchair."

"Apology accepted." He replied curtly.

"No I don't think it is." Darren pressed the issue. "Jacob... I don't want you to feel angry that I went to see Will."

"I don't know how you got that idea." Jacob said as he began to pick up speed.

"Well I think the way you try to stop me from seeing him is a big enough of a clue."

"Do you think I'm stopping you? If that's the case you can leave." Jacob said before he knew it, wishing he could take back the words.

"I won't do that, Jacob. I know you don't want me to."

"...." Jacob remained silent, afraid that anything he said would cause Darren to leave him. Instead he picked up the pace so that they were nearly flying through the hospital.

Darren, getting nervous but wanting to have this conversation with Jacob, grabbed the brakes and forced the chair to a halt. Jacob was so unprepared for the sudden lurch that he fell forward, down into the chair, knocking Darren to the floor.

"Darren!" Jacob shouted in panic bring the attention of hospital staff.

"It's ok. I'm all right." Darren said, more embarrassed then in pain. A staff member came over and tried to help Darren up but Darren waved him off. Grabbing the nearby handrail, Darren slowly lifted himself back up and walked slowly and carefully back to his chair. Jacob was so surprised that Darren was able to walk without his walker that he was still collapsed in the chair when Darren reached it.

"Can I have my seat back?" Darren asked in a soft voice.

Jacob blushed and disentangled himself letting Darren sit down. After Darren released the brakes, Jacob had them on the move again at a much slower pace. The fact that Darren had been able to get up and walk on his own made Jacob feel useless. While Darren had been in the hospital and unable to walk on his own Jacob had thought that Darren really needed him. Now that he knew that Darren was more capable then Jacob had thought he didn't know why Darren was still with him...unless it was to humor him.

"You don't really need me." Jacob said as more of a statement of fact then a question. "You've been playing a joke on me."

"Jacob..." Darren started, all of the sudden feeling very tired. "I do need you."

"You can fall, get up, and walk on your own. Why do you need me?"

"If I need to answer that question I think we've been wasting each others time." Darren replied sadly.

When they finally got back to the ER, Tara was pacing around waiting for them. As soon as she saw both their faces, she knew something was wrong. She tried to ask both of them what happened but she was unable to get anything from Jacob and all Darren would say was he was sorry for going off to see Will without telling them. During the drive home Tara couldn't stand the silence and so turned on her CD player and went right to the track "Don't Worry Be Happy" which turned out to be a very bad choice. The song so agitated Jacob that he popped the CD and threw it out the window.

"Hey!" Tara yelled at her brother. "That was my favorite song!"

"Well I don't want to feel happy." Jacob pouted.

"I don't care! You're going to buy me a new one!"

"Here's twenty dollars, go knock yourself out." Jacob said bitterly as he threw the money on the dashboard.

Tara knew better then to try to continue this conversation with her brother so they rode in silence. As soon as the van reached the parking lot, Darren surprised her by opening the door and slowly walking out on his own heading for the elevators. Tara's mouth fell open and she looked at her brother in disbelief.

"See, he doesn't need me!" Jacob cried. He then ran out to his own car and drove off.

Now getting some idea of what was going on, Tara sighed and began heading home. It was when she was half way to her apartment on the second floor that she saw Darren crumpled on the floor, trying to get back up.

"Men... why do they try so hard to show off." Tara exhaled as she went over to help.

"Hey..." Darren called out when he felt Tara wrap her arms around his waist. "I guess I look pretty foolish right now."

"Yes, and it didn't help things with Jacob." She agreed as she lifted Darren back to his feet. "Want to tell me what's wrong?"

"It's Jacob." Darren replied.

"Oh it's all my brother's fault?" She said half jokingly.

"Well I didn't tell him I've been practicing walking and getting up when he wasn't around. He was always warning me not to while he was not there."

"I guessed that. What does that have to do with my brother being upset?" She said as they slowly started again to the apartment.

"He thinks... he thinks the only reason I'm with him is because he is helping me walk again. He thinks I'm playing a cruel game."

"Oh dear... you're right; this is all my brother's fault." Tara replied sadly as she unlocked the door.

As soon as they got inside Darren made straight for the sofa and laid down. Tara went to the kitchen, poured two glasses of water and brought them over, giving one to him. "I want you to forgive him." She said as she handed him the glass.

"I will but I don't know if he's going to accept it. Something tells me this has happened before.'

"Yes it has, several times in fact." Tara confessed.

"Want to tell me about it?"

"I think I should. You know the scar on Jacob's lip?"

"Yes."

"It was given to him by an ex boyfriend of mine. He found out Jacob was gay and beat him. I blame myself for it and so I blame myself for what is happening now."

"Why?"

"Because I dated the bastard. I let him get close to Jacob."

"Not that. Why does it still affect him?"

"Oh... I guess that is the bigger question. After the incident Jacob became reclusive. Except for me he wouldn't let anyone get close to him. When we went to college together he grew out of it some but he still held back. You see... he just couldn't believe that someone loved him as a person. He was always trying to come for a reason, other then love, for a person to like him. This let a lot of people to take advantage of him. Guys would flirt with him just so he would do their research papers or buy beer for them when he was underage, using a fake ID.He got caught twice and I had to bail him out. In the end he felt used and taken advantage of so he stopped dating. That's when I started picking out blind dates for him, and while many of them turned into disasters none of them left him feeling used."

"I feel bad now. I was a little harsh with him when he didn't know that I'm with him cause I love him."

"Thank you for telling me that, Darren. You're the first guy Jacob has let himself fall in love with since college, but you're the only one who has said that you love him."

"I wish I could get him to see that."

"Don't worry, that's my job. It's the role of an older sister to knock some sense into her younger brother. All I ask is you give him some time that and tell me what is going to happen between you and Will."

"I don't know. Seeing Will today and seeing him so much better raised my hopes. I'm not going to dump Jacob but I am going to dump Will either.

"Does "taking care of him" include sexually?" She asked with arched eyebrows.

"...Yes. I owe it to him. He waited so long for me."

"Then I guess that it will be something Jacob will have to learn to accept. Just as long as he knows he still has you it can work." Tara said in an attempt to sidestep the issue. She didn't know if Jacob would accept such conditions. While she did not doubt Darren loved Will it had never been in the romantic sense. If it had been they would have become lovers well before she and Jacob entered their lives. With Jacob it was clearly different With him the love between them was deeply romantic. Tara would have to ensure it did not turn tragic.

"Well I'm beat so I guess I'll take a nap." Darren excused himself.

"Do you need my help getting into bed?"

"No... I only let Jacob do that because I could usually drag him into bed with me." Darren lightly chuckled as he stood up.

"My brother is really lucky to have you." Tara said sincerely.

"And I'm lucky to have him. I just wish I could get him to see that."

"Don't worry, I think everything will work out for the best."

As soon as she was sure Darren was asleep, Tara picked up the phone and sent Jacob a 911 call to his pager to come home. She then took her seat in the living room and waited. In less then five minutes the phone began to ring but Tara ignored it. She heard the answering machine go off but didn't bother to go check. This patterned continued for a good 30 minutes. The phone would ring, the answering machine would go off and Tara remained in her chair. Finally the ringing stop and Tara stood up. She went to the front door and waited till she could hear the sound of running feet. At the exact moment she felt that Jacob was right at the door she opened it, pushed Jacob back, stepped out of the apartment and grabbed her brother by the ear as she continued to walk away.

"Ouch!" Jacob yelped in pain.

"Stop whining!" Tara ordered as she took him toward the elevator.

"Why are you yelling at me? I came as fast as I could. Why didn't you answer the phone you had me scared shitless."

"I didn't answer it because I need to get you here so I can beat some sense into you."

"You mean there is no emergency?" Jacob said a little peeved.

"Oh there is one and you are in the middle of it." Tara corrected.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Jacob said as they exited the elevator on to the parking lot.

"Well if you don't that just proves how clueless you are." Tara said as she took out her car keys and used the remote to unlock her car.

"Where are we going?" Jacob demanded.

"We're going to the hospital so you can talk to Will."

"No I'm not." Jacob insisted as he tried to walk away only to add to the pain his ear was in.

"Yes you are, Jacob Henry Hiller." Tara said using his full name.

Jacob slumped his shoulders and gave up. He let her push him into the back seat where she flipped the switch to turn on the child safety locks trapping him inside. She then made her way around to the driver seat, checked her hair in the mirror and started the ignition.

"Jacob I know you've had bad luck with men but this time it is you who is really screwing things up."

"You got it into your head again that the only reason Darren was with you was because you were taking care of him and Will was too crippled to do anything to stop you. The fact is that Darren does love you and he does need you but not to help him walk."

"Then why does he need me?" Jacob spat out.

"He needs you just like any person needs the one they love. He needs you because he is in love with you but like always you just can't accept that."

"He doesn't love me. He loves Will."

"Yes Jacob he loves Will but can't you see that he also loves you."

"But I don't know why." Jacob began to cry.

"Jacob... how many times have I told you that you a really great person and that people like you for who you are and not for what you can do for them?"

"A lot, but you are my sister."

"Well Darren is your lover and he is trying to tell you the same thing."

"... I did bad, didn't I?" Jacob said as reality began to set in.

"Yes Jacob, as I said, you screwed up. That's why I'm taking you to see Will."

"Why?" Jacob said still not understanding.

"The only way you're going to feel secure in keeping Darren is if you and Will reach an understanding."

"He's going to hate me."

"No he won't. From what I understand he can't even remember you. He doesn't even remember that he told Darren he's gay."

"Then how can he understand what's between Darren and me?"

"That is what you're going to do. Jacob, if you want to keep Darren, one thing you're going to have to accept is that Will is always going to be a part of Darren's life. You're going to have to accept what I had to; accept I can't have Darren as my husband but he will be the father of my child. You might one day become Darren's husband, but you have to accept the friendship Darren has with Will even if that means Darren might sleep with him."

"Why do things have to be so complicated?"

"Bro, love is never simple. I'll admit this is not the easiest situation, but I think you've finally have found the one. If Darren can't make you happy no one will."

After they signed in, Tara took Jacob to Will's room. Jacob had wanted to talk alone with him but Tara wanted to make sure her brother got things right and so insisted in staying. Jacob was nervous when he saw Will. He was sure that he would jump out of bed and kill him. Instead Will just turned his attention from the photograph by his bed, smiled and returned to his gaze back to where it had been.

"Hi Will." Jacob greeted as he took a seat next to the bed.

"Hi, I no reeemember." Will replied his eyes not leaving the photograph.

"I'm Jacob Hiller. I was your friend... and Darren's," he reintroduced himself.

"Sooorrry, can't reeemember."

"That's ok."

"You Darrrrren's friennnnd?"

"Yes." Jacob nervously smiled.

"I missss Darrrrren." Will said sadly as he turned his eyes toward Jacob.

"Darren misses you too. Will... I have to confession to make to you." Jacob said with tears running down his face.

"Don't beee sad." Will replied as he clumsily tried to wipe Jacob's tears away.

Jacob took the hand and kissed it before continuing. "I'm in love with Darren."

Will broke eye contact from Jacob and looked back at the photo, his lip trembling. Jacob was sure Will was furious with him. It took all his courage to wait for Will's response. "I looove Darreeen toooooo."

"And Darren loves you." Jacob replied.

"Noooo, Darreeen not gaaaay. Can't looove meee."

How could Jacob get Will to understand that Darren was gay and could love him the way he always wanted. All he could think to say was repeat what he said before. "Darren loves you Will."

"I tooo weak. Nooo can hellllp Darreeen. You loooove Darrren. Take care of Darreeen for meee."

"I will." Jacob cried.

"Donnnn't cry. Darreeen take care of meee. Darreeen take care of youuu."

"I know." Jacob wept.

"Meee tired. Neeeed to ressssst. Youuu go noooow. Coooome back when betterrrr.

"I will." Jacob said, letting go of Will's hand.

As Jacob and Tara left the room Jacob though he heard one last sentence from Will... "Nooo cry."

Copyright © 2013 JMH; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Shit, now you made me cry!

 

This was a great chapter. i'm glad to see Will doing a bit better. Hopefully he'll get his memory back and put on some weight.

 

He was so sweet with Jacob. Even if he didn't fully understand what exactly Jacob was talking about as it relates to him.

 

Looking forward to more! :) Glad you updated!

Link to comment

Sad, sad, sad, chapter. If I'd cried, I don't think I would really know who the tears were for. So much heartache and love here.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..