Jump to content
    JTRandall
  • Author
  • 2,529 Words
  • 1,078 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Secret in Salem - 3. Chapter 3

“Toby! Hey wait up!” Sean ran to catch up to the shorter boy before he went into his first class of the day. He pulled him over to the side of the door, so that students could get by, and rifled through his backpack. Finally, he pulled out the black tee that Toby had let him borrow the day before.

“Thanks again for letting me borrow it.” Sean smiled as he handed the shirt over. Toby let it rest on top of the stack of books he was carrying and turned around. Looking over his shoulder he said,

“Front pocket. Near the bottom. Should be all nice and clean now.” He said and laughed as Sean dug through the front pocket.

“Got it! Thanks man, you really didn’t have to do that. I appreciate it though.”

“No worries, I’m used to it by now. If you hadn’t noticed I am kind of a klutz.” Toby smirked and turned to face Sean. There was a white piece of fuzz sitting on top of Sean’s wavy auburn hair. Toby reached up to grab it.

“You’ve got fuzz on your head…” Toby said and held out his hand to show Sean the culprit.

“Hey thanks, I never really look in the mirror early in the morning. Too traumatic.” Sean laughed and blew the fuzz off of Toby’s hand with a quick breath.

“As if you need to. You probably roll out of bed looking good.” Toby grabbed a chunk of his straight black hair. “Now this… this takes work… A lot of work.” He tossed it back over his shoulder.

“Well, at least it looks good.” Sean reached across Toby’s shoulder and took his hair between his fingers. Toby stiffened. He wasn’t used to people touching his hair. Well, he wasn’t used to people touching him at all.

“Jesus Christ! Get a room guys!” One of the girls in Toby’s first period said with a smile as she made her way into the classroom.

“Yeah, for real. Sean, you better be careful. Toby might turn you.” This came from one of Toby’s least favorite classmates, Grant. Grant was on the football team. Of course. Grant also didn’t keep it a secret that he didn’t like gay people… at all.

Grant just stood there in the doorway watching Sean and giving him this meaningful look, as if to say, ‘You better let go of his hair now, or by the next bell, you will be a fag.’

Toby just rolled his eyes and shrugged his shoulders so that his hair escaped Sean’s grip.

Sean, on the other hand, was a little bit irritated by Grant’s off color statement.

“You know what? Fuck it.” Sean leaned in and gripped Toby’s jaw in his hand and kissed him. Toby was stunned. He couldn’t move. Sean had just kissed him in front of nearly his entire class. He was straight! Right? He was expecting Sean to stop after a moment, and when he didn’t Toby decided to enjoy the moment because it was bound to end sooner than he would like. He closed his eyes and took his free hand and placed it gently on the back of Sean’s head.

When Sean felt the delicate fingers stroking his hair, he dropped the white tee and placed his free hand on the small of Toby’s back, underneath the heavy backpack. His lips parted slightly and his tongue found its way into Toby’s mouth. For a moment, they let their tongues slide against each other, and then Sean broke the kiss.

“Fucking sick, dude…” Grant pushed past the crowd that had accumulated in the doorway.

Toby cheeks were flushed, his heart was racing, and his brain was going ninety miles an hour. A few whistles and some clapping greeted their spontaneous kiss and Toby found himself blushing more than he ever could have thought possible.

“I’ll see you in History.” Sean smiled down at Toby’s bewildered expression with a twinkle in his hazel eyes and gave him a quick peck on the cheek before picking up his shirt and walking away down the hall. Toby still couldn’t move. Only when his friend Sarah grabbed his arm and dragged him to his seat did he start to breathe again.

“Hey! Toby… Focus… Ok?” Sarah giggled as he sat down. The teacher, who had been ignoring the whole spectacle, decided that it was a perfect time to start the lesson. Toby didn’t have time to ponder what any of this meant. He was knee deep in calculus equations as soon as he sat down.

The rest of his classes passed in a sort of haze. Toby found himself dreading and sweetly anticipating History at the end of the day. Sean was already in his chair by the time he stepped in the classroom. The teacher had given the student’s free reign of the period for the rest of the year, since this project was basically their final grade. Sean was looking out the window again and Toby hesitated before walking over to sit in the seat next to him. His heart was pounding but he wasn’t going to let that stop him from finding out what was going on.

“Alright, what the HELL was that this morning?” He asked Sean with a raised eyebrow. Crossing his arms over his chest, he leaned back and waited for the answer.

“What? You didn’t like it?” Sean grinned and turned away from the window. He saw Toby blush at his words and grinned even wider. “Or maybe the problem is that you REALLY liked it…”

“Oh come on Sean. Yes I liked it! A lot! But what the hell was that all about?” He said heaving an exasperated sigh and tucking his hair behind his ear. Sean lost his grin and took a deep breath.

“Look, I’m sorry if I made you uncomfortable, but I can’t stand it when guys like Grant say shit like that. And you heard everyone clapping. Now he looks like the idiot instead of you and me.”

“So you only kissed me to make Grant look like a fool?” Sean’s heart sank. He had a feeling that this would happen. He knew it was silly to keep hope that Sean actually liked him a little, but he still did.

“Well, that was a huge plus, but I don’t think that was the only reason…” Sean looked into Toby’s eyes. “I have never been with a guy, but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t. You’re… well, you’re just fucking adorable.” He laughed and sat back, placing both hands behind his head.

“Adorable? Did you really just call me adorable?” Toby looked at Sean as if he were an alien. “Alright, let’s get one thing straight. I am NOT adorable. I wear black, I cast spells, and I like dark things. Ghosts, vampires, and shit like that. This…” he gestured to his black nails, wrist cuffs and several piercings in his ears, “is NOT adorable.”

“Guess what? You saying that, right there, THAT is adorable.” Sean leaned toward Toby who was almost huffing in aggravation. “So, to me, you are adorable. Deal with it.” He ruffled Toby’s long locks and laughed.

Toby growled low in his throat and he tried his hardest to straighten out his hair. Even after a minute it still felt out of place, so he grumbled to himself as he pulled a brush and a mini mirror from his backpack. Sean was holding back laughter as he watched. When Toby was finally satisfied, he turned to Sean and pointed at him with the brush.

“You, Sir, are an asshole.” He threw the brush back into his backpack and kept checking himself in the mirror. Sean stood up and quickly snuck behind him.
Looking at Toby’s reflection in the mirror, he said, “And you… are adorable.” A soft smile played around his eyes. He took the mirror gently from Toby’s hand and set it on the desk in front of him. He let his lips brush Toby’s cheek and went back to his chair to plop into it unceremoniously.

“Gods, I do NOT get you.” Toby shrugged his shoulders. “Two days ago you were this complete enigma. A straight boy fantasy. And now you are practically seducing me! What the hell, man? What is going on?”

“I’m tired of being labeled. Everyone thinks they know me, know where I am going, and know what I am going to do with my life. And their idea is boring.” Sean sighed. “You, at least, are exciting. Passionate about things. And cute too. There’s something about you that draws me in and won’t let go. For once, I think I am going to do the exact opposite of what people expect of me.”

“So am I just an experiment? Just the guy that gets to be your ‘phase’?” Toby glared at him.

“NO! No. Oh shit, that came out wrong. Look, I am attracted to you. Physically and mentally. You are engaging, not boring like most of the people here. You wouldn’t be just a ‘phase’ for me. You would be my boyfriend.” Sean looked at Toby, pleading with his eyes for him to understand.

Toby still wasn’t sure if this was all bullshit or not, but he decided not to let a good thing pass by, even if it was short lived.

“Alright.” He said smugly. “Then you have to ask me on a proper date. In public. I don’t play that game of, ‘Oh I pretend to be normal in public, but screw boys on the side.’ I won’t lie, I really do like you. You just have to work for it.” Toby grinned.

“Alright. That I can do. But you have to give me a chance. Don’t just write me off completely. I may surprise you.” Sean rested his hand on Toby’s knee and Toby raised his eyebrows.

“Well, I guess we already decided that public displays of affection are ok. With that kiss this morning.” He scoffed and shook his head. “This is insane.”

“It wouldn’t be as fun if it wasn’t.” Sean smiled.

“No… no it wouldn’t.” Toby smiled back and Sean for the first time, felt that it was genuine and didn’t have any hidden meaning behind it.

“Alright then. Time to switch gears. Let’s do this Salem thing. I brought a copy of The Crucible so we can decide which scenes to use.”

They picked out the 3 scenes that they both agreed were relevant. The scene where Abigail is in the courtroom, making up things that Mary Warren was doing to her, the scene where John Procter is telling Abigail to confess, and the scene where the accused women are urged to accuse more people to spare their own lives.

The teacher, having overheard their plans, let them know that while a theatrical piece would be wonderful, he wouldn’t be able to allow them to perform it in the classroom. He did mention that a video presentation would be perfectly acceptable provided that it is under 30 minutes in length. Sean and Toby both agreed to go ahead with their plan and videotape it.

“It’ll be more fun that way anyway. And then I won’t be so embarrassed about acting in front of the whole class.” Sean laughed. The bell rang and the school day was over.

“So… Its spring break now.” Toby said and looked at Sean.

“Yep. Give me your cell number and I’ll call you to set something up.” Sean smiled a mischievous smile. Toby wrote down his number on a slip of paper and Sean tucked it into his pocket. “How bout I give you a ride home?”

“Ok. Sure.” Toby gathered his things and followed Sean to his car. The drive back to Toby’s house was quiet. Toby wasn’t sure what to say and didn’t want to make things any stranger. Finally, they pulled up in front of the average looking blue house.

“You’re right. It would be so much cooler to live in a castle.” Toby sighed and opened the door. Sean caught his wrist as he was stepping out of the car.

“I didn’t forget about our proper date. I promise I’ll call you when I figure out where I’m going to take you.” Sean pulled him back into the car and kissed him again.

Toby was relieved that he hadn’t had to be the one to start the kiss. He had wanted to incredibly, but he just didn’t have it in him. Now that Sean had done it he let himself get lost in it. He brought his hand up to Sean’s cheek and caressed it. Their tongues did battle, first in Toby’s mouth, then in Sean’s. Taking a chance, Toby moved his hand to Sean’s chest and stroked it. It was incredibly firm underneath the loose shirt. Sean let out a slight moan when Toby’s hand brushed against his nipple.
Toby pulled back slowly, staring up into Sean’s eyes. They were half lidded and Sean still hadn’t let go of his wrist. Sean could feel Toby’s heart racing under his fingers.

“Sean… What kind of girl do you take me for? I have to keep it classy. You still owe me a date. Slow down tiger.” Toby gently regained his wrist and gave Sean a half cocked smile.

Sean let his head fall back against the headrest and pouted. Toby tucked his hair behind his ear in the normal way of his nervous habit.

“Don’t pout at me, mister. And it’s not fair to take advantage of the fact that I want you so bad. Meanie!” He grinned and shut the door. Sean flashed his most charming smile and held up his hand to his ear, in the international ‘I’ll call you’ sign. Toby simply waved and stood there watching as he drove away.

Sean decided to take the long way home to give himself time to calm down. It wouldn’t do to walk inside when he was obviously so excited. His parents would ask and then he would have to explain more than he’d like to at the moment.

‘What a day…’ He thought. ‘Who would’ve thought that I’d come home today out of the closet and with a boyfriend.’ He chuckled to himself as he thought of the look on everyone’s faces when he brought Toby home for dinner with the parents. They wouldn’t care so much that he was a guy… His uncle was out and proud, which is why he was so comfortable with it. They would wonder at all the black and all the hair.

“No mom, I am not turning into a Goth.” He said to the empty car and giggled.

Toby walked into the house, up to his room, and immediately flopped himself on his bed. Hugging his pillow, he ran through the events of the day.

‘I almost LET him have me right there in the car.’ He thought and laughed to himself. It had taken all the will he had to step out of that car.

He couldn’t wait until the next time Sean looked at him with his eyes full of lust.

Copyright © 2011 JTRandall; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..