Jump to content
    JujuTheDruid
  • Author
  • 3,363 Words
  • 1,157 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Currently in the works to edit this story before starting the newest book :) apologies for my beginner writing where I didn't believe in spacing my sentences.

Star Crossed: On the Line - 3. Orders are to be followed

Enyod has to stick to Tanner’s side during most of the day. I usually just stay in my room. I don’t really want to but at the same time, I don’t want to deal with them. They have become more hostile towards me recently. Alicia has even been ignoring me and staying away. The only time I feel at least a little bit welcome is when Enyod and I are in our room.

However, tonight we are going into town. He managed to convince Tanner that it is ok. Here we are in the lower regions of town to find a bead for Lucain. I have a mission tomorrow so Enyod is trying to rush me to get at least some sleep tonight. I doubt I will sleep honestly. Last night was nice I guess, but there was something wrong about it. I didn’t want his warmth. I want to slap myself for even wanting something more. I should know by now to be grateful for whatever I can get.

We walk by a bunch of stalls in the middle of the city. The marketplace is crowded with many of the slaves. Most should be just getting off their work. They try their hardest to keep away from Enyod. Mostly likely because of his height. It tends to scare them.

I decided to steal some sandwiches from the kitchens. I know many of these people must be working on very little food. I want to help them when I can. Enyod said I could get in trouble but I don’t care. I prioritize any kids that I see and then give them to anyone that asks or looks as if they need it desperately. Sadly a lot of them do. Good thing I had Enyod carry a giant basket on his back. Should be plenty for this small trip. Well...at least I hope so.

We find a nice small table that is topped with many necklaces, bracelets, and other various jewelry. They even have a small pile of beads that they have made. Perfect! I look through until I find a nice bright red one that has little stripes of gold. It’s kind of small, but I guess I can put it near the tips of my hair.

I go to give the seller money and a sandwich but she quickly shakes her head no. “You take.” She says with a smile. “It’s only small bead.” I give a smile and reach for one of her hands. I place the sandwich and money in her hand.

“Please take it. From one slave to another.” Her eyes widen a little at that but she nods. Pretty sure her bottom lip was starting to tremble. She still smiles. I say my goodbye and pass the last of the sandwiches out before we head back to our room.

Enyod lays in bed while I place the bead in my hair, right under my mother’s. I haven’t seen her in so long. I haven’t even used my stone to talk to her. I’m not even entirely sure where I left my stone actually. I remember Aileta giving it to me before I left but then...nothing. I frown and turn to lay down next to Enyod. Where could it have gone? It’s disappeared from my memory, and I know I would always know where it is. It’s missing. This isn’t right. Have I gotten dumb enough to forget where it is? I start to panic a little inside.

“What are you thinking about?” Enyod says behind me.

“Nothing.” I say, “Just thinking of how I am going to handle the mission tomorrow.” I shrug and pull the blanket higher. “I should be fine. Don’t worry.”

He gives a hum of understanding and I think I feel him nod. Soon he starts snoring.

~~
~~

The team and I are standing on one of the highest buildings in one of the many cities on Earth. Lights of cars and streetlamps are the only things that light up from below. The building we are on is the home of a Director from U.U.P.P. Apparently he isn’t smart enough to have a camera or guard up here. Lucky for us, I guess.

“Ready everyone?” Tony says. With a nod, Dozer and Tony turn to the doorway that leads downstairs. I tug on the rope attached to the device hanging a little over the edge. I tested this thing earlier so I should be fine, but it’s always best to check just in case. I take a deep breath and reach my arms out before tipping over the edge.

I start falling headfirst and the air just flows through my hair and past my arms. I can't help but smile wide. It feels amazing and I'm pretty sure it’s the closest I’ll be to flying. After a few more seconds of falling, I push the button on the middle of the device on my hip. The rope starts to slow me down until I reach a stop. I rest my feet onto the stone next to glass. I peek over and see the target is on his monitor. Oh god...he’s watching...an interesting video. Let's just say he likes multiple large female aliens.

I press on the button that turns my headset on. “I’m outside his window.” I wait for a reply but get nothing. I guess they are busy. I turn my back to the building and look down below at the cars driving around like little insects. I don’t really know why we need to get this man. I know he is U.U.P.P. and they don’t exactly like Firelight, but why risk coming here to capture him? It’s a bigger organization than ours. If they find us then we are all dead or set for prison. I don’t exactly want to be in a cage again. They are Tanner’s orders though. I'm too scared to say no to him honestly.

I peek again and see the man cleaning himself up. I wrinkle my nose and turn back. What a disgusting man. I’d hate to be whoever has to clean up his office. I sigh and drum my fingers on my knee. It’s gotten colder since I've been hanging here for so long. I hope they are ok. It’s been awhile now. They should have given me the go ahead to break in by now.

“Everything ok?” I ask.

“You should probably go in.” Alicia answers, she’s parked on some another rooftop somewhere in the city waiting for us. She sounds as bored as me.

“No!” Tony practically screams into the mic. A shout comes off from his mic and then more shouting. “Great. Now they heard me. Thanks Alien.” Oh...um...ok. His mic cuts off and then it's just an awkward silence. I peek into the window and see the man is packing his things in a hurry and shouting into his phone. I could care less if they get mad at me now, I’m not letting him get away. I move so that I am standing on the glass then push with my legs to send myself far enough away to swing. I brace myself as I am brought back onto the glass and it creates a web of cracks under my weight. The man jumps and turns quickly to look at me. He has dropped his phone. I jump again and use magic to add some power to my feet.

The glass shatters and I unhook myself from the rope. I roll on the ground and pounce over the desk and bring my knees onto the man’s chest. We fall and land on his back. He tries to gasp for air but I bring my fist up, filling it with energy, and punch him hard on the side of the head. He gets knocked out instantly.

“I’ve got him, Alicia. Tony and Dozer, you should make your way back now.” I mute Tony as soon as I hear him start shouting at me. I don’t really want to know what rude things he is going to say.

“On my way, be there in five minutes.” Alicia calls out.

I walk over to the window, dragging the man by the collar of his suit. He's a little on the heavy side which makes this a little hard for me. I wrap the rope around his waist and tie a knot that should be fine to hold him. I push him out the window with my foot and he swings out in front of me. He doesn't slip from the rope nor break it. Perfect!

I jump out the window onto his body. I flop down and sit with the rope between my legs and push the button to bring us up. It’s a lot slower than going down sadly. Not to mention this man adds more weight for it to lift up. I swing my legs in the air, just enjoying the ride.

Maybe I should ask Tanner if I can do solo missions. Pretty sure this could have been a lot easier if I did this on my own. I know I was the backup in case the man made a run for it. I mean I did my job right. Obviously Tony and Dozer will think otherwise. I don’t need a team. I could have done this myself. I pretty much did this by myself. They didn’t even see the target. Only I did. Tanner will probably say that I should know my place and just ignore my wishes.

Finally reached the top. Alicia is there in her aircraft. I sigh and stand to hop onto the building. I grab the rope and pull the man towards me and try and lift his weight onto the building. Ok maybe I need a team for this part. I groan as I try again but he’s just too heavy. Another set of hands comes and grabs the other man’s arm. We pull and until he is laying flat on the roof. I huff and look up at Dozer. He sure doesn’t look happy. He doesn’t look too mad either though.

He picks the guy up easily and before he turns to Alicia, he says, “Nice one...I guess.” I smile and walk behind him. My smile vanishes as Tony looks at me with the most evil glare I have ever seen. He doesn’t say anything however, he just turns and goes to his seat. I sigh and go to mine.

~~
~~

“Why would he do this?” Remelia asks behind me.

We just watched the footage of Firelight trying to sneak into the building. Two human men, one was from the video that Mekaias talked to, were knocking down anyone that was on the top five floors. Even the working staff. Anyone that was in their sights were knocked down. Thankfully nobody got hurt. That is, until one of them seemed to shout out of nowhere. It led to them killing anyone that got close to them. They were running down the floor trying to get somewhere but then they immediately turned around halfway through.

Somewhere else in the building, the Director of the city was knocked out and taken by Mekaias. Mekaias had come in through the his window and then he just took the man. Seeing him leave was very strange to see. Something isn’t right. Well clearly something isn’t right but I know for a fact that Mekaias wouldn’t go so far as to help Firelight with their missions. This is pretty much the most successful mission they’ve ever done against us. Capturing a Director in U.U.P.P. That’s a little terrifying to say the least.

“I don’t know.” I say. I think I know. Actually never mind. Pretty sure Mekaias wouldn’t want to side with Tanner. It’s why he joined us after all. I mean I’d like to think I was a small part on why he stayed but I know better. He wanted to avenge his mother, but he would go so far as to work alongside the killer of his mother? I doubt it. Something else is happening to him. That’s when I remembered something.

“Wait, I think I know what’s happening now.” I stand up and start to leave. “I’ll tell you when I tell the Director. I’ll be back.” Remy and Remelia call for me to tell them but I really need to tell the Director first. The sooner he knows, the sooner he can hopefully do something about it. I don’t know what but the more he knows the better.

I don’t even bother to check if he is in a meeting, though thankfully he isn’t. I burst right through his door.

“He’s being mind controlled.” I say with a huff in between breaths, I may or may not have ran all the way over here.

The Director looks up with noodles inches from his mouth. He sets it down before speaking, “That would make a lot of sense but how do we know for sure?”

“He didn’t recognize Remelia’s drone the night he flew off with Firelight.” I say. Saying it now makes me realize just how little evidence this is. I know I’m pretty much guessing but I just have a feeling this is what’s happening to him.

“I see. I actually don’t doubt it at all. However, we still need to keep our minds open to the fact that he might not be mind controlled, and that he may have simply changed sides.” He says that with a deep sadness in his eyes. Sometimes I forget he knew Mekaias before. It must be strange to see your old friend with the enemy. This is my soulmates however. Pretty sure I have a one up on that. Plus there is also the fact that Mekaias changing sides is ridiculous, even if it is looking like that right now.

“He went to kill George for joining Firelight. I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t just join them after that.” I say with my arms crossed.

He pushes back in his chair. “What do you think we do then? I’ve been trying to think of things and nothing comes to mind.” He frowns up at me.

“I-I don’t know.” I scratch the back of my head. How does he expect me to come up with something on the spot?

“If I may, I need to eat and have some peace and quiet. This has been a rather stressful few days.” He picks up his bowl of noodles again. I just bite my tongue and leave. It hasn't only been stressful for him.

Maybe I shouldn’t tell the squad. I wouldn’t want to give them false hope even if I’m pretty sure I’m right. Maybe we should look for a new pilot while we are doing this. I hope they don't mind a intense background check.

~~
~~

“Anything you wish to say?" No answer. "Do I have to take it from you?” Tanner looks down at the U.U.P.P Director. He is on his knees with his hands chained behind him. They are in between the two buildings that are the living areas. This middle area is used for torture and executions. The two buildings open up to this area with bridges in the upper floors. There are balconies all over both buildings that are used to watch everything. They don’t exactly hide it from everyone. It’s just full of everything that is wrong. The fact the floor the I live on is the second floor of one of the buildings, isn’t so great. I sometimes hear the screams of whoever is being tortured or killed. It makes my stomach twist up inside.

Tony has forced me to watch this one because I ignored his orders. Alicia tried to stop him but he ignored her. Now here I am chained to our balcony's edge, watching Tanner beat up on some poor man that I brought in. I wish I could just kill the people I bring in so that they don’t have to go through this slow death. They always die in the end. I think I’ll make it a silent rule to kill them on ‘accident’ and say they tried to kill me. They wouldn’t know it but it would be better than this.

Enyod is down there with Tanner. He’s always there for these things. He has to unfortunately. He has to stick by Tanner at all times except for when he needs sleep. I would hate to have to do that. Tanner is scary and mean.

“Enyod.” Tanner says and turns away from the prisoner. Enyod walks forward with...his life stone? I frown and keep my eyes on him. He starts chanting in words I don’t understand. I’m pretty sure it’s the Alentian language. His one eye starts to glow a bright yellow and then the prisoner stops moving, his mouth begins drooling. Enyod starts naming stuff off to Tanner. It’s a bunch of addresses I think. He is naming off cities from Earth so I’m pretty sure he is naming off places where U.U.P.P. bases are. He can read minds? It's a little too gross to watch honestly.

“Find the Star Squad.” Tanner says to Enyod. He nods and after a few moments he calls out a city and a place called Green Neighborhood. Tanner gives a creepy grin and he looks up and straight at me. I try and step back to hide from his gaze but I am chained to the balcony. I look back at Tanner in confusion and maybe a little fear but he has already turned back to the prisoner.

Enyod has turned back to his place with his head ducked down. Tanner walks in front of the prisoner and places his hands on top and below the poor man’s head. I can hear the man start asking for freedom and his whimpers for help. I close my eyes and turn my head. It doesn’t stop the cracking noise I hear.

The door behind me swipes open not even a second after. Alicia looks at me with a sad smile and frees me from the chains. I look at her for a second before walking past her and going straight for my room. I curl up and push myself into the corner of the bed that's against the corner of the wall.

Why am I here? This all doesn’t add up as to why I am here. My painted memories don’t tell me why I decided to join Firelight. Why I decided that things like that were still ok to be around. I frown and hug a pillow to my chest. Why did Tanner look at me like that? Like he had a wicked plan made. I shiver remembering his face. Apparently Enyod can read memories. I didn’t know that till now. I wonder why he never told me. He knows I can do a lot of things too. I wonder what else he can do. He had used his life stone in front of everyone. That’s scary. Does he trust Tanner? Enough to even have it out in the open like that for anyone to see? Why would you ever trust him or anyone in this place? I don't even trust him entirely.

Enyod walks into the room finally. I practically pull him onto the bed with me. I may not trust him but I know we are both stuck here.

“They chained me to the balcony to watch.” I simply say. I feel him freeze at that.

“Y-you saw me use my magic?” He asks. I just nod. “I’m sorry.” He whispers. I don’t really know understand why he said that honestly. It’s not like it’s his fault I was chained to the balcony. He’s stuck in this as much as I am.

He soon falls to sleep. I don’t sleep at all that night sadly. All I see is Tanner’s evil grin in red light. What is he planning? I know it has to do with me. I just hope I don’t have to kill anyone.

Copyright © 2018 JujuTheDruid; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 4
  • Angry 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..