Jump to content
    K.C.
  • Author
  • 1,630 Words
  • 7,027 Views
  • 43 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shepherd's Crook - 6. Chapter 6

“B-b-but…it was an accident Daddy,” Amanda’s voice got squeakier the louder she spoke.

Anger flashed in Gibby’s eyes. “An accident? You have got to be kidding!” He raised his voice to match hers.

Principal Grady put his hands up for both of them to be quiet. He glanced from his daughter and then back to the new student, now covered in pudding. “How did this happen?” The man kept calm while both teenagers glared at each other.

“Your bitch of a daughter threw pudding--”

Amanda immediately interrupted Gibby, “Daddy, it slipped.”

“From half way across the cafeteria?” Gibby couldn’t believe what he was hearing. If Principal Grady actually believed her, then she had everyone here fooled.

“I’m sorry, it was an accident.” Amanda chewed on her bottom lip. It made her look nervous, but Gibby was willing to bet that she was trying to suppress her evil smile.

Principal Grady looked at the sticky mess covering Gibby’s clothes and winced, “I know you’re upset, Gibson, but she said she was sorry--”

“Sorry?” Gibby’s cheeks were flushing red with rage. “She’s sorry so everything will be okay?” He huffed with frustration.

“Amanda apologized,” Principle Grady focused on his daughter, “And I’m sure she promises that this will never happen again…right Amanda?”

The smile that slithered across Amanda’s face was as icy cold as her steel blue eyes. “I really am sorry Gibby and to show that there’re no hard feelings, I can take your jacket down to the Home Economic class and run it through the washer and dryer while you grab a shower in the boys’ locker room.”

It wasn’t enough that she embarrassed Gibby in front of the entire senior class, now she was trying to reveal him as the monster she believed him to be. Rage pumped through his veins. There was no way that he was going to let her get to him.

“I’m not afraid to show my scars in public,” Gibby said as he pulled his arms out of his hoodie and slipped it over his matted hair. Principle Grady gasped when he saw the thick red scars covering Gibby’s body. Amanda’s smile suddenly disappeared. “I cover them up so people like you can feel better, pretending like the fire never happened.”

Throwing his hoodie at Amanda, Gibby silently wished that a big glop of pudding would smear the front of her designer blouse. As he turned and stomped out of the principal’s office, he called over his shoulder, “I expect that to be cleaned, pressed and folded when I get back to school tomorrow and Amanda,” Gibby hesitated at the door, “Hold the starch!”

***

Pulling the big black SUV into the driveway, Jonathan noticed Gibby lounging on the front porch. His bare feet were propped up on the banister as he dozed in the late afternoon sun, settled down into one of the wooden rocking chairs. Jonathan smiled watching his son doing something so typical teenager.

Jonathan sat down in the empty chair beside his son. A warm breeze blew across the porch and ruffled Gibby’s auburn hair. When he still didn’t wake up, Jonathan slightly nudged Gibby’s leg.

Startled, Gibby’s eyes flashed open at the same time his feet slipped off the railing and hit the wooden floor of the front porch. “Oh my god!” He clutched at his vintage rock band t-shirt while trying to calm his racing heart.

“You’re not jumpy are you, kiddo?” Jonathan chuckled as Gibby pulled his earbuds out and wrapped the cord around his neck.

A car driving down the street slowed down. The elderly woman behind the wheel waved as she passed by. Jonathan glanced down at Gibby’s uncovered arms and legs. “It’s nice to see you enjoying the last rays of sunshine before the chill of autumn sets in.”

Gibby wiggled his toes, enjoying the feel before pushing up and out of the rocking chair. His wet hair had quickly dried in the afternoon sun. Lounging in fresh clean clothes, he didn’t see any reason to tell Jonathan about the incident at school.

“I saw chicken in the refrigerator. Want me make chicken-salad for dinner before I have to start my homework?”

Jonathan smiled at how easily they had fallen into a routine in their new city and home. “Sounds good,” He said as he followed his son into the house.

***

The cheerleaders practiced on the sidelines while the football players took center field. The team was divided. Half the players donned gray jerseys and the other half wore navy blue, the only similarity was the large gold numbers on each player’s chest.

The girls’ tight sweatpants displayed amusing words, like ‘Star,’ ‘Hottie,’ ‘Cutie,’ and ‘Pink,’ across their asses. Several of the players were distracted by the sight and kept stealing glances at the bouncy cheerleaders, instead of focusing on the game.

Ethan stood in the center of the field waiting for the snap from Mike. As soon as he had the ball in his hands, his eyes searched for an open man. Mark and Tanner both raced the length of the field. Tanner’s legs might not be quite as long as the other guy’s, but his powerful muscles kept him neck and neck with his taller teammate.

When Mark darted left, Tanner was right there beside him. Pushing harder, Tanner moved faster to try to step in front of his friend.

Ethan spotted that Mark was in trouble and quickly shot his eyes to the left. One step back, Ethan released the ball into the air. His long thin fingers gave it a perfect spiral as it shot across the sky.

“Good job, Conroy.” The coach called out after the ball was released. Ethan held his breath as all he could do now was watch and wait.

The cheerleaders started chanting Mark’s name. They grew louder until their voices echoed off the metal bleachers. Mark twisted his body, anticipating the ball’s trajectory. Slicing through the air, inches from Mark’s hands, Tanner swooped in for the interception.

The coach’s face beamed. “I’m glad we’re all playing for the same team,” He shouted at the stunned players, helplessly watching Tanner speed down the field to the end zone.

Tanner wasn’t the best player or the worst, he was always stuck somewhere in the middle. He wasn’t going to get a football scholarship like Ethan or the Butler Boys, so it had his heart doing somersaults that he had outplayed every other guy on the field tonight.

“Tanner, that was an awesome catch.” Coach smiled at his player like a proud father. “Good hustle everyone. You boys play like that, there’s no way that Mt. Jackson can touch us this season.”

The waterboy handed out towels as the team headed towards the showers. Ethan watched Amanda crossing the field to meet him. When she was within arm’s length, he pulled her to him for a sweaty hug.

“Oh gross, Ethan!” She screeched, shoving him away. “You stink!”

The guys chuckled at Amanda’s reaction. All of their practice jerseys were soaking wet as sweat mopped their hair and glistened their hard bodies.

Mike and Mark joined them as Sunshine and Bethany followed a few steps behind. The guys and girls flirted as they made their way towards the gymnasium. Tanner walked at a distance from the group. They were the last ones on the field. Everyone else had practically run for their chance at a hot shower.

“Hey Tanner,” Ethan called out to him when he got a few steps ahead of them.

Tanner glanced over his shoulder. His sweat soaked blond locks plastered his forehead, leaving a ring from his helmet.

Ethan tossed the football that he was carrying, which easily landed in Tanners arms. “You were great today…just keep it up when it’s time to stomp the competition.”

Tanner smiled as he turned back towards the locker room.

“Tanner, wait!” Amanda shouted at him. Clenching his jaw, Tanner’s shoulders bristled at the sound of her voice. He stopped for a moment then quickly continued walking. Frustrated, Amanda suddenly sprinted to catch him and blocked his path.

“Didn’t you hear me?” She blew an exasperated sigh as she rummaged in her backpack and pulled out a small pile of paper strips. “I have something for you.”

Noticing the tiny answer sheet, Tanner shook his head, “No, Mandy, not this year.”

As he stepped around her, anger flashed across her face.

“Don’t walk away from me,” Amanda’s tone was enraged and she grabbed for his arm, jerking him back around to face her. “You can’t just walk away, it’s not that easy.”

Tanner glared at her hand on his skin. “Watch me,” He shrugged out of her grip and stomped towards the locker room.

“Come back here!” She shouted at his retreating back.

When he didn’t stop, her voice rose with her growing anger. “Tanner, I mean it…You! Come! Back!”

Tanner froze where he was. The rest of their friends nervously watched Amanda tapping her foot on the ground waiting for him to obey her demand.

“Or what? Are you going to throw something at me while I’m not looking, too, like you did with the new kid?” Tanner forced the words through his clenched teeth.

Amanda growled when the twins burst into laughter. Bethany and Sunshine were useless to control her anger. She pivoted on her heels, grabbed Ethan, and pushed him towards his black Camaro parked behind the gymnasium.

“Take me home,” She ordered him.

Ethan glanced from Amanda to Mike then Mark and back to her. “B-b-but I haven’t showered yet--”

“Oh shut up, you can shower when you get home. I want to go, now!” Amanda barked, making Ethan jump as he scrambled to do exactly as he was told.

I'm sorry for the delay, thank so much for being so understanding guys!
KC :hug: 
Copyright © 2012 K.C.; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Angry 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Hm. Now Gibby has no faith at all in the principal. I would have lodged a full complaint with the school board myself. Amanda is such a bitch. I wonder why her father believed her?

Link to comment

The principal is a dick.. just because Amanda his daughter she can get away

from what she done to Gibby. Hi five for Tanner for refuse to fallow Amanda

order. Now Amanda move to top of my top 3 hate list.. way up tongue.png

Thxs KC great as always

specool.gif

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

... more of Gibby & Tanner please

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment

Amanda, Amanda! The vindictive part of me wants her to have

a very 'Carrie' public moment, but really that wouldn't do any

good for her badditude or overinflated self image. People like

her only learn through really hard knocks. So hit 'er with your

best!

Link to comment

Ugh I HATE Amanda! mad.gif ...but I LOVE this story (even though this was another short chapter :P ) I'm glad Tanner is standing up against Amanda, she needs to learn that the world doesn't revolve around her. I hope we'll see more interactions between Gibby and Tanner soon. Keep up the great work KC! :)

Link to comment

Oh, KC, this was short but sweet! It must have been all those glistening hard bodies that made it so.thumbsup.gif

 

(Don’t worry about the delay – important thing is: are you OK? Are your family? hug.gif )

 

Despite its shortness this chapter had a lot to tell. The interaction between Amanda and her father/the principal revealed quite a lot about their father-daughter relationship. I guess Amanda has him wrapped around her little finger (it’s a Swedish expression, do you have it in English?). The scene gives a glimpse of an explanation as to why she is the way she is. It’s obvious her father is trying to avoid a scene either directly in the cafeteria, or when they get home. Was she a terrible three year old throwing tantrums her parents gave into? And then they just never stopped giving her what she wanted/wants. Also I think it’s understandable if a parent doesn’t want to see their children’s faults, but if that’s the case here it has benefited none, only made matters worse.

 

But what happened to Tanner in this scene? He disappeared, did he just keep reading his book? Too bad, I would have liked a reaction from him, but he’ll make up for it another time. Right?

 

The football practice scene also gave a better picture of a few of the characters: Ethan, Tanner and Amanda – well done! It looks as if Tanner is getting ready to stand up against Amanda. But Ethan walks in her leash. Guess she likes men who she can control with her temper moods (makes me wonder what her mother is like). I can’t help but feel a little sorry for Ethan, but at the same time I feel a little bad about how Amanda gets to represent the female side of world population. Sure, women often have a reputation of being scheming, manipulative, not covering each other’s backs and being irrationally temperamental, but don’t let her stand as the only female representative. Or at least give her some redeeming characteristics.

 

Toward the end Amanda is trying to give Tanner a small paper strip of some kind. I don’t get it. Is it some cultural reference I’m missing – if so please explain it to me - or is it something that will be given an explanation later on – if so I’ll be patient.

Link to comment

Good one Tanner, yeah she is a bitch but as I have said before I kind of like her.

So chuffed Gibby could take off his shirt like that. I dont think I could in a crowded place. My back is scarred too.

I love Gibby's dad too. :)

Amazing as always KC :hug: This is my favourite story :)

Link to comment

KC, I think Amanda's gonna win villainess (doesn't look like it's spelled right, but it is, lol) of the year in the next GA contest! :) What a BITCH! Good for Gibby for telling the principal something he already knows. And the principal; what a wuss. Amanda has him wrapped around her fingers also, along with Ethan and probably her female entourage.

 

I think Daddy Dearest is afraid of his little terror. She must be horrible at home. She obviously had no discipline growing up and got everything handed to her on a sliver platter. She expects everyone to bow down to her. Incredible.

 

Good for Tanner for not giving in to her demands. And what were on the strips of paper? Some game and he has to choose a strip of paper and do what's it says?

 

I also like the way Gibby sent in his laundry demands for her. I bet she does something to the jacket though.

 

And Ethan.....Christ, grow a pair! Tell that bitch she can damn well wait for him and when he's good and ready he'll take her home. If not, her legs still work, don't they? Shit, talk about pussy-whipped!

 

Another great chapter KC; too short though! :(

Link to comment
On 05/09/2012 09:21 AM, Daddydavek said:
Amanda is a piece of work and very easy to want to punch out.
Wow, hide under the covers for a few days and look at all the reviews :P Yeah, i would so punch Miss Amanda if she was a guy (better yet I'll let my kid do if for me :D ) Thanks for reading, Dave!
Link to comment
On 05/09/2012 01:15 PM, Rebelghost85 said:
Hm. Now Gibby has no faith at all in the principal. I would have lodged a full complaint with the school board myself. Amanda is such a bitch. I wonder why her father believed her?
I'm totally not speaking from experience but doesn't every father think his daughter is perfect? 0:) But everyone will see her for who she is...in due time! :P
Link to comment
On 05/09/2012 01:49 PM, unlikelyu said:

The principal is a dick.. just because Amanda his daughter she can get away

from what she done to Gibby. Hi five for Tanner for refuse to fallow Amanda

order. Now Amanda move to top of my top 3 hate list.. way up tongue.png

Thxs KC great as always

specool.gif

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

... more of Gibby & Tanner please

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Amanda is so evil that I think I love her :P (jk) She is not a nice person! She's not the kind of girl to cross :whistle:
Link to comment
On 05/09/2012 02:16 PM, Stephen said:
Amanda, Amanda! The vindictive part of me wants her to have

a very 'Carrie' public moment, but really that wouldn't do any

good for her badditude or overinflated self image. People like

her only learn through really hard knocks. So hit 'er with your

best!

Ooooh I never thought of having a "Carrie" moment...might have to send that idea to my editor. If that makes it in I will deff give you a shout out :P Thanks for reading!
Link to comment
On 05/09/2012 05:01 PM, EmDee said:
Ugh I HATE Amanda! mad.gif ...but I LOVE this story (even though this was another short chapter :P ) I'm glad Tanner is standing up against Amanda, she needs to learn that the world doesn't revolve around her. I hope we'll see more interactions between Gibby and Tanner soon. Keep up the great work KC! :)
I know it's another shortie...sorry :( But I hope the quality of the content makes up for the lack of lenght :P Gibby & Tanner :whistle: ...we'll see!
Link to comment
On 05/09/2012 06:33 PM, sorgbarn said:
Oh, KC, this was short but sweet! It must have been all those glistening hard bodies that made it so.thumbsup.gif

 

(Don’t worry about the delay – important thing is: are you OK? Are your family? hug.gif )

 

Despite its shortness this chapter had a lot to tell. The interaction between Amanda and her father/the principal revealed quite a lot about their father-daughter relationship. I guess Amanda has him wrapped around her little finger (it’s a Swedish expression, do you have it in English?). The scene gives a glimpse of an explanation as to why she is the way she is. It’s obvious her father is trying to avoid a scene either directly in the cafeteria, or when they get home. Was she a terrible three year old throwing tantrums her parents gave into? And then they just never stopped giving her what she wanted/wants. Also I think it’s understandable if a parent doesn’t want to see their children’s faults, but if that’s the case here it has benefited none, only made matters worse.

 

But what happened to Tanner in this scene? He disappeared, did he just keep reading his book? Too bad, I would have liked a reaction from him, but he’ll make up for it another time. Right?

 

The football practice scene also gave a better picture of a few of the characters: Ethan, Tanner and Amanda – well done! It looks as if Tanner is getting ready to stand up against Amanda. But Ethan walks in her leash. Guess she likes men who she can control with her temper moods (makes me wonder what her mother is like). I can’t help but feel a little sorry for Ethan, but at the same time I feel a little bad about how Amanda gets to represent the female side of world population. Sure, women often have a reputation of being scheming, manipulative, not covering each other’s backs and being irrationally temperamental, but don’t let her stand as the only female representative. Or at least give her some redeeming characteristics.

 

Toward the end Amanda is trying to give Tanner a small paper strip of some kind. I don’t get it. Is it some cultural reference I’m missing – if so please explain it to me - or is it something that will be given an explanation later on – if so I’ll be patient.

Thanks Sorgbarn :hug: we are making it, there was an unexpected death in my husband's family.

 

Yes we have the same expression "wrapped around his little finger"...just ask my daughter. But she would never act like Amanda! Parents can be blind to their kids faults and make things go from bad to worse.

 

I like that we are now starting to see the other characters personalities and learning more about them since they will play a big part of what is to come.

 

"The strip of paper"...we will find out what is on it really soon!! I promise ;) Thanks for reading! As always, I love your reviews!

Link to comment
On 05/09/2012 06:33 PM, Mark92 said:
Good one Tanner, yeah she is a bitch but as I have said before I kind of like her.

So chuffed Gibby could take off his shirt like that. I dont think I could in a crowded place. My back is scarred too.

I love Gibby's dad too. :)

Amazing as always KC :hug: This is my favourite story :)

Marky, I think you are the only reader that actually likes Amanda :o (JK)

 

Gibby's scars are part of who he is, he hides to make other feel comfortable. He;s such a tough kid, I love him! Thanks for all your encouragment!

Link to comment
On 05/10/2012 03:26 AM, Lisa said:
KC, I think Amanda's gonna win villainess (doesn't look like it's spelled right, but it is, lol) of the year in the next GA contest! :) What a BITCH! Good for Gibby for telling the principal something he already knows. And the principal; what a wuss. Amanda has him wrapped around her fingers also, along with Ethan and probably her female entourage.

 

I think Daddy Dearest is afraid of his little terror. She must be horrible at home. She obviously had no discipline growing up and got everything handed to her on a sliver platter. She expects everyone to bow down to her. Incredible.

 

Good for Tanner for not giving in to her demands. And what were on the strips of paper? Some game and he has to choose a strip of paper and do what's it says?

 

I also like the way Gibby sent in his laundry demands for her. I bet she does something to the jacket though.

 

And Ethan.....Christ, grow a pair! Tell that bitch she can damn well wait for him and when he's good and ready he'll take her home. If not, her legs still work, don't they? Shit, talk about pussy-whipped!

 

Another great chapter KC; too short though! :(

We Parents make the little monsters that we will one day turn loose on the world...just not my angel :devil:
Link to comment

Ohh please write more!!! :) I'm loving it so far, wanna know what is the paper strip and if Tanner is gay :P lol please longer chapters! Can't have enough!

Link to comment

Public (or is that GA) enemy number one - Amanda! Number two - The principal --Sheesh what an idiot!thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I absolutely love Gibby's dadthumbsupsmileyanim.gif , wish my dad was as cool...!!!

Why was Amanda interested in talking to Tanner? What's in that paper strip? And when will Ethan grow a pair?tongue.pngLove the story!

Sorry for your losssad.png

Link to comment

Another good chapter KC. I look forward to more, when you can.

I'm very sad to hear about the lost your family had recently. Please tell your husband we are thinking of him and his family :hug:

Link to comment
On 05/10/2012 08:09 PM, Manu said:
Ohh please write more!!! :) I'm loving it so far, wanna know what is the paper strip and if Tanner is gay :P lol please longer chapters! Can't have enough!
I'm writing as we speak :P I looked at the next chapter and it is a bit longer, hope that will make everyone happy :D

 

Tanner gay? :whistle: we will have to wait and see!

 

Thanks for reading!

Link to comment
On 05/10/2012 09:41 PM, Gulab Jamun said:
Public (or is that GA) enemy number one - Amanda! Number two - The principal --Sheesh what an idiot!thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I absolutely love Gibby's dadthumbsupsmileyanim.gif , wish my dad was as cool...!!!

Why was Amanda interested in talking to Tanner? What's in that paper strip? And when will Ethan grow a pair?tongue.pngLove the story!

Sorry for your losssad.png

People really hate her don't they? :lol: If I had a dad I would so what him to be Gibby's dad.

 

Thank you for your condolences. That is very thoughtful of you :hug:

Link to comment
On 05/10/2012 11:12 PM, Billy Martin said:
Another good chapter KC. I look forward to more, when you can.

I'm very sad to hear about the lost your family had recently. Please tell your husband we are thinking of him and his family :hug:

Thanks Billy, Since my husband had to go out of town, I'm trying to keep my mind busy and do some writing. I plan on keeping to my posting schedule. Rustle has been great keeping me on track (and begging for more :P ) Thanks again :hug:
Link to comment

YAY!!! I'm all caught up and enjoying every minute of it. I'm so loving this story, again your writing style is wonderful. I feel as if I'm right in the middle of it all. Gibby, his father and all the students, you bring them to life so well. I can't want to see what's up with Tanner and what was up with the tiny pieces of paper? What happened last year that Tanner refused to do this year? Enquiring minds what to know... And Amandaangry.png I can't stand the ground she walks on. Here's to hoping she gets her just dessert and I don't mean pudding either.

So far it appears Gibby is settling in okay,but i'm not naive either, I know we haveblush1.gif ...I mean they, him and his father still have so much healing to do. I echo the seniments of the others..can't wait for more.thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Link to comment

enjoyed reading. but i've decided, just to be different, to be on amanda's side. she's misunderstood. people keep blaming for things that were just accidents. it's tough being the principal's kid. and she's a closet lesbian. or am i making my own story up now? seriously, good job KC. sorry to hear you've had troubles to deal with.

Link to comment
On 05/11/2012 11:53 PM, Naptowngirl said:
YAY!!! I'm all caught up and enjoying every minute of it. I'm so loving this story, again your writing style is wonderful. I feel as if I'm right in the middle of it all. Gibby, his father and all the students, you bring them to life so well. I can't want to see what's up with Tanner and what was up with the tiny pieces of paper? What happened last year that Tanner refused to do this year? Enquiring minds what to know... And Amandaangry.png I can't stand the ground she walks on. Here's to hoping she gets her just dessert and I don't mean pudding either.

So far it appears Gibby is settling in okay,but i'm not naive either, I know we haveblush1.gif ...I mean they, him and his father still have so much healing to do. I echo the seniments of the others..can't wait for more.thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'm glad that you still like it. :D I know that with each question answered 3 more pop up! The paper will be explained next chapter. Amanda...she can't be summed up in just one chapter. LOL. Thank for reading.
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..