Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 1,717 Words
  • 1,691 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Our Little Nest - 2. Chapter 2

Adam wants Patrick to unpack.
Patrick has a job interview.
Patrick confess to Mia.
Justin brings muffins.
Patrick has doubts.

Adam, stood showered and dressed, in his kitchen surveying, the now, disordered sight before him. It’s been seven months and most of Patrick’s things were still in boxes. The pleasant smell of French Roast filled the room as the coffee maker finished brewing. Adam glanced at the bed and noticed Patrick rousing from his deep slumber.

He grabbed two mugs and prep them with two organic sugars for his, none for Patrick and cream for both. He stirred the mixtures as he poured the coffee, making a clanking sound that seems to echo in the room.

This action disturbed Patrick, who jerked under the sheets thrusting them off him. Adam felt a sting of guilt, but since moving in, Patrick’s behavior of ignoring Adam’s requests, rubbed Adam the wrong way.

Patrick opened his eyes and stared at the ceiling for a moment. His back ached from the quality of the mattress he had to endure for the last three weeks. He, for some reason, knew Adam was staring at him. He breathed in the fragrance of coffee.

Not sure if he wanted to move, Adam appeared in his view line, holding a cup of coffee.

“Good morning,” said Adam.

“Morning.”

“I made coffee. I can make breakfast.” Patrick sat up and looked around the one room apartment, still cluttered with his things, before looking back at Adam.

“I know what you’re going to say.”

“You do?”

“There’s no room for my stuff. This place is just too small.”

“Well, maybe you can put it in storage or send it back to your parent’s house.”

“I need all of this.” Adam sighed, sitting beside him on the bed. He gave one mug to Patrick, who sipped on the hot drink,

“Pat. I understand you need all of this, but it needs to be put away.”

“Where? You only have one dresser and one closet.”

“Which, by the way, you barely used.”

“I don’t normally put my things away.”

“I gave you hangers and space. All you need to do is place your things on, and in them.”

“If you let me get Poe this can all be cleaned up.”

“Pat, you don’t need anyone. You can do this all by yourself.”

“You keep saying that.” Patrick sipped on his drink looking at the boxes and bags of his belongings. A few bags sat open only because he needed a certain item.

Adam knew Patrick had misgivings, but he had to let him see that taking care of himself was for the best. Adam placed his cup down on the nightstand. He rose and moved to the closet, grabbing an empty hanger returning to Patrick.

“Pat, watch me.” Adam grabbed one of Patrick’s tops and placed it on the hanger. “See, easy.”

He took the shirt off the hanger and grabbed a pair of his jeans looping them through. He presented them to Patrick. Patrick stared back seeming to understand. Adam placed the hanger down and walked over to Patrick crouching in front of him.

“Patrick you’re home all day. I believe you can do this.”

“Well, not all day.”

Please say you’re not going shopping?”

No,” Patrick said, taking offense. He rose his chin and set his sights on his coffee cup. “I have a job interview.”

Adam, surprised by the response, returned to Patrick’s side on the bed.

“A job interview, that’s wonderful. Where?”

“It’s not far from here.”

“You’re not going to tell me where?”

“I’ve never been on a job interview before. I don’t want to jinx it.”

“Well, what time is your interview?”

“Not until noon.”

“I’ll drive you there.”

“No. Remember, you want me to do things on my own.”

“Yeah, okay. Then I’m making you a big breakfast.”

“No, I’m a bit anxious about this. I just want something light.”

“Alright, I understand. I’ll make some oatmeal with fruit.”

“We don’t have fruit.”

“Right. Okay, I’ll take you to the diner and we’ll have oatmeal there, with fruit.”

“You don’t have to.”

“I want to. So, go shower and dress. I’ll wait for you downstairs.”

“Alright.”

Adam leaned in and kissed him on the mouth, then on the tip of his nose.

“Forget about this stuff. We’ll do it together,” said Adam.

“I have time before the interview I can do some.”

“No, I want to help.” Adam rose and grabbed both cups and carried them back to the kitchen. “We’ll get coffee at the diner.”

Patrick watched as Adam empty the mugs into the sink and placed them in the dishwasher. When he walked to the steps leading down to his office, he looked towards Patrick.

“See you in a minute. Love you.”

“Love you,” Patrick answered. Once the door closed with a clicked he fell back on the bed and groaned. “Great, now I’m a liar,” he stated to the ceiling. He rolled over to the nightstand and grabbed his cell. He raised it to his mouth and spoke. “Call Mia.” The phone obeyed and connected him.

“Hello,” said Mia, in a groggy voice.

“Mia, I’m in trouble.”

“Patrick, please tell me you didn’t lie about having a job to get out of unpacking?”

“No,” he paused. “I lied about having a job interview.”

“Patrick,” she moaned.

“Mia, I couldn’t help it. Adam was so disappointed in me.”

“What do you think he’s going to feel after he finds out?”

“He won’t find out, I’ll—just have to get a job.”

“Really, where?”

“Not sure yet.”

“Where did you tell Adam the job interview was?”

“I didn’t tell him.”

“Patrick, you know this is not right. You need to be honest with Adam. He’ll understand.”

“All I need to do is find a job and Adam will never have to know.”

“Patrick, why did you call me if you already decided that?”

“To vent.” Another pause between them.

“Patrick, good luck. And I hear they’re hiring at…”

“No, Mia. I’m going to do this on my own. And I will tell Adam.”

“I know you will. Love you, and good luck.”

“Love you too. And thanks.” He tossed his cell on the bed and headed for the shower.

Downstairs, Adam was looking over some files at his desk when he heard a knock at his office door.

“Come in.” The door open and Justin peeked in.

“Good morning boss,”

“Come on in Justin.”

Justin stepped in holding a white box and a cup tray with two coffees.

“Justin, you didn’t have to get me coffee.”

“Well, I got muffins, so I thought they went well together.”

“Yeah, but I’m taking Patrick out for breakfast to celebrate.”

“Celebrate for what?”

“He’s going on a job interview.”

Justin almost burst out laughing, but swallowed it, not wanting to anger Adam.

“Well, that’s—great. Where’s his interview?”

“He won’t tell me.”

“Why not?”

“He doesn’t want to jinx it.”

“I bet,” he murmured.

“What?” asked Adam, but before Justin could say anything Adam’s apartment door opened and Patrick stepped out. Adam stood and walked over to him embracing him. Justin waited until they parted catching Patrick’s eye.

“Congratulations on your job interview Patrick,” said Justin, forcing a smile. Patrick didn’t seem to notice as his mind seemed to be on something else. Adam wondered why Patrick didn’t answer Justin.

“Pat, did you hear Justin?” Patrick looked at Adam confused by his comment.

“What, no I didn’t hear him.”

“He was congratulating you on your interview.” Patrick looked at Justin who was still smiling and holding the food and drink.

“Thank you,” said Patrick.

“You’re welcome. I’m sure you’ll do great,” said Justin.”

Patrick only nodded to Justin as he glanced at Adam who noticed Patrick’s uneasiness.

“You're going to do great.” Adam cupped Patrick’s face.” Even if you don’t get the job at least you tried,” said Adam kissing him again. Patrick reached up and grasped Adam’s wrists.

“You really mean that?”

“Of course. There’ll be other interviews.”

“Other interviews?”

“Sure, you don’t stop at one,” Justin cut in. “You keep going until you land one.” Patrick grew tenser in Adam’s hold.

“Let’s just focus on this one, for now. Okay, Pat?” Adam said.

“Yeah.”

“Come on, let’s get breakfast.”

“I can’t,” said Patrick, stepping back from Adam.

“Pat you need to eat.”

“I—don’t know if I can do this.” Adam pulled him into his arms and hugged him.

“Come on Pat, calm down. It’s no big deal. I shouldn’t have made such an issue of this. This is my fault.” Patrick pushed gently away.

“No, Adam, it isn’t. None of this is your fault.”

“Pat, sit down. You're shaking.”

“I can’t.”

Adam pulling Patrick onto his lap.

“Justin, can you excuse us?” Justin turned and left the office with the food, closing the door behind him, wondering why Patrick was getting upset.

“Patrick, look at me,” Patrick shook his head refusing Adam. “Come on baby, look at me.” Adam grabbed Patrick’s chin and gently turned Patrick’s face to his. “I know what’s wrong?”

“You do?”

“Yeah.”

“Adam, I can explain…”

“There’s no need to.”

“But Adam…” A tender kiss quite Patrick. When they parted Patrick relaxed in Adam’s hold.

“I’m asking too much of you.”

“No, Adam…”

“Yes, I am. I wanted you to leave your world behind and manage in mine. Now you’re overwhelmed and I’m not making it any better. It’s going to ruin your interview.”

Patrick realized Adam didn’t know the truth, yet. He considered confessing, but to see Adam so concerned with him, he knew he couldn’t let him down. Patrick hugged Adam and kissed his cheek.

“Thanks,” Patrick said.

“For what?” Patrick sat up smiling at Adam.

“For giving me my confidence back.”

“Is that what I did?”

“Damn right you did.”

“So, you’re going to go through with the interview?”

“I’m going to get the job.”

“You sure are.” They kissed again, deeper this time.

In the reception room, Justin listened to the conversation in Adam’s office as he pretended to do work. When Adam’s door opened Patrick walked out and Adam followed.

“Justin we’ll be back after breakfast, hold down the fort.”

“Will do, boss.” When they left, Justin sat back in his chair in a huff.

“Job interview, my ass,” Justin said to no one. “I’ll be the judge of that.”

Justin and Patrick still aren't getting alone.
Copyright © 2017 keyisfake; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..