Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 3,289 Words
  • 1,105 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Our Little Nest - 21. Chapter 21

Justin and Ethan arrives in WillowMoss.

Adam lies to Patrick.

When they reached the town, they parked in front of a book store. Exhausted from the long drive Justin and Ethan climbed out of the Rover. Justin tossed his head back, stretching his back. Ethan overextended his arms above his head doing the same.

“So,” stated Justin, glancing around at the well up kept town. He noticed the buildings were in their original structures. “…this is WillowMoss?” He walked over the bookstore window and glanced at the display.

“Yeah, pretty nice,” Ethan said, shutting the driver side door, and walking over to Justin.

“On the surface,” Justin said, remembering Adam told him to look for anything strange.

“Well, we’re here to find that out, right?” Ethan asked, staring at Justin’s reflection in the glass. Justin pulled out his cell phone.

“I still don’t have a signal,” Justin said, glancing at Ethan, who removed his own cell and discovered the same thing.

“That's not really unusual. Some towns just don’t want cell phones,” Ethan said.

“Or internet?” Justin asked.

“Come on, let’s walk around and find a phone.”

“And a library, I want to jump on the research, so we can get back to the city by nightfall.”

“Whatever you like.”

They took off walking towards the center of town. As they walked Justin glanced at the people he saw shopping, working, and playing with their kids at the park. He remembered his mother taking him to a similar park when he was small. She took pictures of him on the slide, in the sandbox, and swinging on the jungle gym. He also remembered hanging out in the same park after hours with his friends when he was in high school.

They drank beer, smoked weed, and munched energy bars whenever cravings hit. He would stumble home after 2 am and his father would give him a lecture that always ended with him getting the crap beaten out of him. His mother would patch him up after his father had fallen asleep and made him promise not to do it again, Justin did. But by the following weekend he would repeat the same bad decisions and end up at the end of his father’s fist.

“This town has everything. Even a diner like the one near your job,” said Ethan. Justin nodded in agreement when one building caught his eye.

“There’s the library,” Justin said.

“We should also check City Hall,” suggested Ethen.

“Why don’t you check City Hall and I’ll go to the library. We’ll meet at the diner in an hour,” Justin said.

“Sounds like a plan,” Ethan said, grabbing Justin by the waist pulling him in for a kiss. Justin was surprised by the act but didn’t protest as their lips locked. When they parted Ethan smiled, tasting his lips. “See you soon.” Ethan took off towards City Hall, Justin crossed the street at the light to the library.

*************

Adam sat and enjoyed the delectable meal set before him with Patrick’s family. Everything was fresh and imported, Adam ate everything offered to him.

Drusilla introduced Adam to Patrick’s Uncle Bernardo Valdez and his twin cousins Miguel and Reyes, whose looks rivaled Patrick’s. Adam sat in the middle of Bernardo and Reyes across from Patrick next to Miguel. Drusilla and Cyprus sat at opposite ends of the table. Drusilla also mentioned that Philip and David had arrived but wanted to sleep in after a long flight.

When their meal was over they all walked to the library to have their coffee. Patrick tried to walk with Adam, but his cousins took up station on both sides of his detective grabbing his arms. Drusilla took Patrick’s arm, calming him of his jealousy towards his cousins. Cyprus and Bernardo took up the rear.

As they all entered the majestic library Cyprus’s Gentleman stepped to him and whispered a message in his ear. Cyprus nodded his understanding and whisper something back.

Miguel and Reyes hurried Adam to a three-seater lounge with no room for Patrick, who glared at them as he sat with his mother on the couch, Bernardo walked over to a single chair near Adam who, he noticed exchanged glances at Patrick and not at his flirtatious sons.

“So, Adam,” Bernardo said, “Patrick told us you are a private detective and owns your own business.”

“Yes, that’s correct.”

“That line of work has a high risk, does it not?”

“Well, you can say that about a baker,” Adam respond, causing a chuckle from the two males beside him.

“You do have a gun?” Bernardo continued, unaffected by Adam’s comment. Adam looked at Bernardo.

“I do.”

“My nephew doesn’t like guns.”

“Uncle,” said Patrick, not expecting him to interrogate Adam.

“I assure you, Patrick’s safety is my priority.”

“You don’t allow him to join you when you investigate a case?”

“Never.”

“I see. Please forgive me for prying. I am overprotective of my love ones.”

“I understand. I love your nephew and would never internally put him in harm’s way.” Adam looked at Patrick again and saw a big grin on his face as his mother squeezed his hand.

“Such valiant words, Mr. Potter,” Cyprus said, standing by the window looking out. Drusilla quickly jumped in, in Adam’s defense.

“Yes, they were,” she said, smiling at Adam who smiled back. Cyprus sighed at the window and turned to his guest.

“How about we all have a swim in the heated pool later. To unwind before the party,” Cyprus suggested.

Patrick’s cousins grinned in unisex as they both glanced at Adam.

“You’ll come swim with us, won’t you Adam?” Reyes asked. Adam looked at the greens eyes that matched his brother’s and smiled.

“Only if Patrick wants to,” Adam said. Patrick’s smile brightened when he saw the look on his cousins' faces.

“That’s a wonderful idea Cyprus,” said Drusilla, standing, when suddenly her legs buckled, and she fell forward. Adam leaped forward, catching her. Everyone rushed to help as Cyprus hurried to his wife.

“Drusilla,” he said, in a panic, taking her from Adam and picking her up into his arms.

“It’s—all right Cyprus, I’m—fine,” she stammered, still feeling dizzy.

“I’m putting her to bed and calling the doctor.”

Patrick leaned back against Adam and watched as his father carried his mother away.

“Pat, if you need to be with your mother go on, I’ll wait here.” Patrick turned to Adam thanking him with a kiss as he rushed off after his parents.

Bernardo walked up to Adam and placed his hand on his shoulder.

“You’re a good man Adam.” Adam turned to him and smile his thanks.

“Miguel, Reyes, instead of swimming let’s go for a walk around the garden,” Bernardo said.

“Why don’t you come with us, Adam,” suggested Reyes.

“Adam is worried about Patrick. Let’s leave him alone for now,” Bernardo said.

“Thank you, Mr. Valdez,” Adam said.

“Please, call me Bernardo.”

“Thank you, Bernardo.”

***********

In the library, Justin kept running into road blocks researching the town’s history. They either said he had to wait for clearness or the books were locked away and the person with the key was off until tomorrow. He did manage to get some information that was in the young adult section. He gathered what he could and left, he needed to get to the diner to meet Ethan.

He hurried across the street and once inside the diner he was awestruck. The servers of the diner were young, handsome males. Justin looked at the splendor before him when he saw the familiar face of Ethan waving to him from a booth by the window.

“Welcome to WillowMoss Diner,” said a male with braided dark hair that draped across his shoulder, wearing a tie, a clean white shirt, with slacks. His face was smooth and fresh, his eyes sparkled a dark and light brown tone.

“Hello,” said Justin, seeing the host name tag. “Shawn.”

“Table for one?” Justin almost said yes when he remembered Ethan.

“No, actually, my friend is waiting for me at a booth.” Justin pointed towards Ethan. Shawn turned and looked to see him smiling. Shawn smiled back, turning back to Justin.

“Oh, so, you’re the friend Ethan said he was waiting for, Justin.”

“Yep, that's me.”

“Well, all right, follow me.” Shawn stepped from behind his podium and took the lead. Justin followed, noticing Shawn had a seductive sway in his hips as he walked. They arrived at the table that already had two menus on it. “Here we are.” Justin took a seat just across from Ethan. “Please enjoy your stay,” Shawn said just before leaving.”

“Amazing,” said Justin, watching Shawn walk away.

“I have to agree with you on that,” said Ethan, watching the host as well. “The others are just as amazing.”

“And they’re all males?”

“It seems that way.”

“Why?”

“Not sure, I figure I wait until you get here before I asked.”

A moment later their waiter arrived. Brown wavy hair, with pucker lips, and blue eyes. He flashed both males a winning smile.

“Hi, my name is Cole, and I’ll be your waiter.” He removed utensils wrapped in a paper napkin from the front pocket of his apron and placed them on both men’s right side. “Our specials for today is Shepherd’s pie. Grill Cheese with or without tomato with soup of the day, which is baked potato, and Caesar salad with soup of the day.”

“Hi, Cole,” began Ethan. “I’ll have the Grill Cheese with tomato, with the soup.”

“Great and to drink?”

“A beer would be nice.”

“Okay and for your friend?” Cole asked, turning to Justin.

“The same as him, including the beer.”

“Okay,” Cole said writing quickly. “Be back with your drinks.” A smile and a wink before Cole walked off.

“Wow, we are going to get lucky today,” said Ethan.

“We’re not here to get lucky,” Justin said, not believing the words came out of his mouth. “We’re leaving after we eat.”

“What, why?” protested Ethan.

“First tell me what you found at City Hall.” Ethan looked at Justin and saw the seriousness on his face.

“Will, nothing. They wouldn’t let me see the archives, but they did give me brochures about the historic sights.”

“The library was a bust too.”

“Well, maybe we should go on some of these tours to get information.”

“I have a better idea,” Justin said, stopping when he saw the waiter coming back. Cole returned with the beers and sat the two tall glasses down one in front of each of them.

“I’ll be back with your food in a moment, it's almost ready,” Cole said, starting to turn to leave when Justin stopped him.

“Cole, can I ask you a question?” Justin asked. Cole turned back to Justin his smile not wavering.

“Yes?”

“We need to find out about the town's history and we were wondering if you knew a good place to start?”

“Well the library is a good place.”

“Yeah, they didn’t have the information I’m looking for.”

“Well, you can always go ask the sheriff.”

“What’s his name?”

“Sheriff Huge.”

“Where is his office?”

“You can find it at the edge of town going east. You can’t miss it.”

“Thanks, we’ll try there.”

“You’re welcome.” Cole turned and walked off.

“So, we’re going to the sheriff now?”

“I’m not sure, I need to call Adam first to see what he wants me to do.”

“What’s the big deal?”

“The big deal is I’m supposed to do only research not interview anyone,” Justin said annoyed.

Ethan was catching glimpses from the other young male staff. Justin noticed and even he got winks, but something else caught his attention.

“Ethan,” Justin said, but Ethan’s focus was on a young redhead male talking to an older man at a nearby table. “Ethan,” he said, in a sharp tone. Ethan reluctantly turned his attention back to Justin. “Sorry for disturbing you.”

“What? Is the, I’ll never have a boyfriend, jealous?” Ethan teased, taking a long sip of his beer. Justin clinched his back teeth as he stared Ethan down.

“Ethan, look around. There are no women in here. Not one.” Ethan glanced and saw mostly single men.

“Well, maybe this place only caters to men. Women have places like that.”

“Okay, what about this?” Justin held up his napkin showing the number 34 written in red ink up in the corner. Ethan wasn’t sure how to respond. He opened his napkin and saw the same number.

“I don’t know what this is. Why don’t we ask Cole?”

“Because I promised Adam I wouldn’t interview anyone. I’m only to research.”

“I didn’t promise anyone.”

“Ethan don’t.” Ethan smiled as he saw Cole coming to their table with their food.

“Sorry for the wait, but I know you’re going to love it,” said Cole with a smile. Ethan waited until Cole placed the dishes down. “There, enjoy and if you need anything I’ll be right over there.” He pointed at the counter where two other splendor males talk to one another.

“Well Cole I do have one question,” said Ethan, holding up the napkin. “What does this number mean?” Cole stared at the number almost losing his smile.

“Oh, that. Well, it’s my number.”

“Your number?”

“Yes, are you interested?” asked Cole. Justin kicked Ethan’s foot who knew Justin wanted him to say no.

“Why yes, yes, we are,” said Ethan, ignoring the blonde.

“Okay, well, here.” Cole reached into his apron again and removed a white card and handed it to Ethan.

“What’s this?” asked Ethan.

“Where you can find me.” Cole walked away. Ethan held up the card and saw guest pass on one side and flipped it over and saw an address. He handed it to Justin.

“Do you know what this is?” asked Justin.

“I know you do,” smile Ethan.

“Is this his side job?”

“Whatever, want to go?” Justin thought it over.

“No, I’m working.”

“Wow, you sound like your crush.”

“Shut up.”

“Adam doesn’t want you Justin. But Cole and I do.” Justin considered it and took a deep sigh. Adam didn’t want him, he knew that. He just hoped Patrick would screw up where Adam wanted someone he could trust to console him in his hour of need.

“Fine, we’ll check it out. But you’re paying.”

“My pleasure,” Ethan said, eating his food.

They finished their meals and Cole gave them their check thanking them again, but not saying anything about the invite he gave them. They left him a nice tip and went to the host to pay their bill.

Shawn stood talking to a blonde-haired, broad shoulder, male fire fighter wearing his issued blue tee with logo, over-trousers and issued boots. Shawn’s smile was gone as he seemed to be in a daze. When they saw Justin and Ethan approach, Shawn’s smile returned as the fire fighter walked away.

“Well, all finished?” asked Shawn.

“Yes,” Justin said.

“I hope you enjoyed your meals.”

“We, did,” Ethan said, smiling. Shawn blush as he rang up their order and Ethan stopped Justin from paying as he pulled out his own wallet. “I got this.”

“Okay, I’ll meet you outside.”

“Okay,” responded Ethan.

Justin left the diner and remembered he needed a phone. He turned to go back in when Ethan came out.

“Hey, I forgot to ask about a phone,” Justin said.

“I didn’t. Shawn said there’s a pay phone in the garage on Bakers road.”

“The diner doesn’t have one?”

“Nope.”

“That’s weird.”

“Not as weird as this.” Ethan showed Justin the receipt from the diner. In the top corner the number 2 in red ink.

“Okay, I need to call Adam, now.”

“Then let’s walk. Shawn said it was five blocks away.”

“No, let’s get the Rover, just in case we need it.”

*************

Adam returned to Patrick’s bedroom to wait for him. He continued to call Justin’s cell, but still no answer. It was driving him crazy.

“Where can he be?” he said out loud. He walked over to the French door that led to a balcony over-looking an enchanting garden. The balcony was large enough to have two double lounges, a round steel table, padded chairs, with room to move around, and staircase leading down to the garden.

If Drusilla’s health wasn’t the issue, he would leave Patrick a note promising him he’d return by the party. A knock came to the door. Adam wasn’t sure what to do so, he approached it and opened it. One of the twins, Miguel stood beaming at him.

Hola, Adam,” he said with his hands behind his back.

“Hello, Miguel,”

“I wanted to check on you.”

“Why?”

“I was worried about you.”

“Well, shouldn’t that worry be for your aunt?”

“She has my uncle and cousin to look after her. I know she is in good hands.”

“So, you thought you should check in on your cousin’s boyfriend?”

“Aren’t you going to invite me in?”

“I’m not sure that’s a good…” Miguel didn’t give him time to finish as he slipped past him and entered the bedroom. Adam stood by the opened door not wanting to close it. The same sexual heat that radiated from Patrick seem to come from Miguel. “Was it a family trait?” he wondered. Leaving the door opened, he moved to the bedroom entrance. Miguel sat on the bench at the foot of the bed. He glanced at Adam patting at the seat beside him.

“Don’t be shy Adam, come sit with me.”

“I rather stand.”

“Okay, suit yourself.”

“Miguel, why are you really here?”

“Like I said, I was worried about you.”

“Well, as you can see, I’m fine.”

“Yes, you are.” Adam heard the seductive tone in his voice and knew he had to shut it down.

“Miguel…” but Adam’s cell ringing interrupted him. He looked at the caller ID and saw unknown. He answered anyway. “Hello?”

“Adam,” Justin’s cracking voice rang in his ear.

“Justin,” Adam said, relieved.

“Adam, I—can—hardly…”

“Damnit,” Adam said, hearing Justin’s voice dropping in and out.

“Who’s Justin?” Miguel asked. Adam forgot he was in the room.

“Miguel, you have to leave, this is a private call.” Adam grabbed Miguel’s hand and hurried him out of the room closing the door on the baffled male.

Miguel stood staring at the door fuming. He has competed with his cousin Patrick over the attention of men. And every time they preferred Patrick. He wanted to kick his foot through the door but decided it would only hurt him more than the door. He stormed off heading for the stairs when another bedroom door opened presenting someone Miguel recognized right away.

“I didn’t know you’d be here,” Miguel glowed as he’s invited inside.

Adam pressed his cell close to his ear as he shoved his finger into his other ear.

“Justin, where are you?”

“I’m—at—Moss…”

“What? Did you say Moss, where’s that?”

“Adam, I can’t---any---what….” This time the call dropped. Adam tried calling him back, but the line was busy. He kept trying but kept failing.

“Fuck,” he snapped. “What did he say? Moss? Could he have meant—WillowMoss? No, no, he can’t be, he can’t be there.” Again, he called but still a busy signal. He knew he had to find Justin. He found a piece of paper and a pen and wrote a note to Patrick, not telling him he was looking for Justin but that there was a problem with the alarm in his building. Lying was the only way for now, with Drusilla taken to her bed. He didn’t want to upset Patrick anymore. He grabbed his coat, made sure he had his car keys and left the back way that Patrick showed him.

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter things are going to get dark so hang on.
As always thanks for reading. Please leave a like or comment if you enjoyed. If not tell me why you didn't like it. I love criticism good or bad.:ph34r::2thumbs: 
Copyright © 2017 keyisfake; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..