Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 2,841 Words
  • 1,315 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Our Little Nest - 4. Chapter 4

Patrick has a bad day, and Adam gets a new client.

The catastrophe in the kitchen was huge, but for some reason was not, Patrick’s fault. A waiter had slipped and fell against one of the dishwashers holding a stack of plates. He dropped the porcelains at the foot of an approaching employee. Who in turn screamed and backed into yet another waiter carrying a tray of food. Who fell forward losing control of the platter that slammed into the chest of the chef.

Patrick looked on amazed that he hadn’t caused the mess for once.

“Maybe? The jinx is lifted,” he thought. “Maybe I’m not inept in the kitchen.” He turned to the coffee maker with full confidence in himself.

***********

The fire started small then it just expelled outward. Everyone got out safely as the firefighters managed to stifle the fire without much damage to the dining room.

Patrick sat in his father’s chauffeur-driven town car with his head down. Cyprus paid for the damage his son caused. Now jobless Patrick feels he failed again.

“I’m hopeless, aren’t I?” Patrick asked his father, not looking at him.

“Why are you talking like that? This isn’t how I and your mother raised you.” Patrick raised his head and turned his gaze to his father who was viewing him with nonjudging expression.

“I told Adam I had an interview. I got the job and lost it in a few hours.”

“So?”

“How am I supposed to prove to Adam that I can be responsible with money if I can’t hold a job?”

Why do you need to prove anything to him?”

“Because I love him, father.” Patrick’s voice cracked as he released his sorrow. “I love him.” Cyprus gathered his son into his arms and held him.

“Why are you putting so much work into this relationship?” Patrick pushed away.

“I just told you,” he cried.

“Yes, yes, you love him. But you loved several before him.”

“All but one took care of me.” He referred to Gavin, his boyfriend before Adam. Who abused him physically and emotionally. “They gave me anything I wanted.”

“What’s wrong with that? You should be cared for.”

“Adam wants me to be able to take care of myself.”

“You have been. You had your own condo.”

“He doesn’t want me to depend on my wealth to save me.”

“He shames you for being wealthy?”

“No. He just—thinks I would benefit from cleaning up my own mistakes instead of using my money.”

Cyprus didn’t want to argue. Adam Potter had some sick hold on his son that he needed to break, but it had to be Patrick’s decision.

“I don’t want to fight with you, Patrick. Would you like to go home?”

“Yes.”

“Driver, we’re taking my son home.”

“Yes, Mr. Valdez.” The female driver performed her duty starting the car and maneuvering through traffic.

“Thanks for taking care of the damages father.”

“I’d do anything for you Patrick, you know that.” Patrick leaned over and rest his head on his father’s shoulder. Cyprus kissed the top of Patrick’s head tasting sweetness. “Why does your hair taste like sugar?”

“When the fire started a bag of sugar kind of exploded above me.”

“I see. Maybe I can get you a position at my company.”

“No, I need to fix this on my own father. If that’s all right?”

“If you wish. You do remember it’s your mother’s and I wedding anniversary this weekend?” Patrick sat up turning to him.

“I forgot.”

“Well, you have a lot on your mind. We’re having a party this weekend we would love for you to be there and Adam is welcomed.”

“Really, Adam can come?”

“I believe they were my words.” Patrick lunged at his father, hugging him sideways. “Thank you.”

“For what?”

“For trying.”

They reached Patrick’s destination and the driver climbed out opening the door for him.”

Patrick exited the car just as Justin was walking up to the door. They locked eyes and Patrick just ignored him as he turned back to the car.

“Patrick the party is formal, and you don’t have to give us a gift. All we want is to see you enjoy yourself.”

“And Adam?”

“Of course.” Patrick leaned down and kissed his father goodbye. He stepped back as the chauffeur closed the car door and climbed back into the driver seat pulling off.

Patrick’s spirit was uplifted thinking that his father made the first step in accepting Adam. He turned and saw Justin smiling as he held the door opened for him. Patrick just raised his head and without a word walked into the building taking the stairs. He’d hoped Justin would use the elevator, but Justin chose to follow Patrick up the stairs.

At first, their journey was in silence, which was fine with Patrick, that is until Justin couldn’t contain himself.

“So, how was your interview?” he asked from behind. Patrick stopped at the landing and turned to him with a smug expression.

“It’s none of the helps business how my day went.”

“You didn’t get the job, did you?” Patrick wanted to throw back, that he did land the job, but also didn’t want to confess that he lost it in a few hours. He turned heel and went through the door not holding it for Justin. He walked down the hall and into Adam’s place of business. Through the reception room to Adam’s office and opening their apartment door, making sure it closed behind him.

He swore under his breath that if Justin followed him he would push him back down the stairs. When he reached the top of the stairway, he stared at his still unpacked things and wanted to scream his anger out. But instead, he walked over to the closet and grabbed a handful of hangers.

************

Justin walked into the office, leaving the door opened. He moved towards his desk when he heard the door buzzer. Adam had installed a camera with a door buzzer, on Justin’s desk so no unwanted visitors came into the building.

“Yes,” said Justin.

“Hello,” said the man. His English was perfect.

“Yes?” asked Justin, seeing a well-dressed male.

“Is this the office of Adam Potter, the detective?”

“Yes.”

“Well, is your employer in?”

“No, but, he’ll be back soon. Would you like to come up and wait, Mr.?”

“Yuri Jin, and yes.”

“Second floor,” Justin said when a loud buzz sounded and the lock to the door released allowing Yuri to open it and enter.

The ding of the elevator alerted Justin. He turned to the door just as a well-groomed male with crescent eyes walked into the office. An astonished Justin became captivated by the man’s flawless appearance.

“Well Mr. Jin, if you would take a seat I can get you a beverage while you wait.”

“Thank you.” Yuri walked over to the couch and sat down, crossing his legs. The man knew he was affecting Justin. He noticed a nameplate on his desk. “I would like a green tea, no sugar, Justin.”

“Of course, right away.” Justin hurried to make the drink, all the while Yuri watched the lovely young secretary making him anxious.

Adam returned home an hour later holding a bag of assorted berries that were Patrick’s favorites. His mind was swimming with thoughts on the house he toured and wondered if making an offer was a sensible idea.

He entered the reception area not noticing someone besides Justin, was there.

“Justin, I need to put these upstairs, I’ll be back down.”

“Boss, wait…”

“I’ll just be a moment of your time.” The unfamiliar voice caught Adam’s attention as he turned and eyed Yuri Jin. Yuri rose from the couch, after he placed his cup of tea, that Justin made him down, half finished.

Justin walked over and took Adam’s bag.

“Adam this is Yuri Jin. Mr. Jin this is Detective Adam Potter.”

“Mr. Jin please step into my office.”

“Thank you.” Yuri glanced at Justin and smiled. “And thank you for the tea.” He walked into Adam’s office first and Adam followed. Yuri sat in the comfortable armchair in front of the desk. Adam took his own seat and pulled out a notepad.

“Okay, what can I do for you Mr. Jin?”

“I need you to bodyguard, someone.”

“That shouldn’t be a problem. Can I ask why?”

“I believe his life is in danger.”

“Have you sought the police help?”

“I need to keep this low-key.”

“Do you know anyone who might want to do him harm?”

“No idea.”

“I can investigate that for you?”

“That won’t be necessary.” Adam sat back and thought over Yuri’s request. “Your services will be well paid for, detective. With an incentive of ten thousand dollars once he leaves for his studies abroad.”

“How long will that be?”

“Two weeks. I’ll also pay you double your daily fee.”

“Well, that’s not necessary.”

“Oh, but I insist.”

“Fine.” Yuri reached into the inside pocket of his suit and removed a brown envelope handing it to Adam.

“All the information is inside this with your expenses. Come to my penthouse tomorrow so you can meet Jamie. Tomorrow morning around eight?”

“All right, I’ll be there.” Yuri stood first and Adam copied holding out his hand. Yuri met Adam’s firm shake and smiled.

“Goodbye Detective Potter.”

“Goodbye, Mr. Jin.” Adam walked Yuri out and started to feel a bit optimistic as he returned to his office.

“So, is he a client?” asked Justin.

“Yeah, I think so.” Adam saw his bag on Justin’s desk. He walked over and grabbed it. “I’ll be back, I’m taking these upstairs.”

“Okay, Patrick’s up there.”

“He is? Did he get the job?”

“He didn’t say.”

Adam turned and headed up to his apartment where he walked in on Patrick pushing clothes into a drawer. Empty suitcases and boxes sat against the wall. The closet space he gave Patrick, had his clothes hanging neatly on hangers.

“Pat,” said Adam, setting his bag on the counter. Patrick turned to Adam tired, and sore. At first, Patrick smiled at him than his expression broke down and he openly sobbed. Adam rushed to him, wrapping his arms around him. “Patrick, what happened. Is it your mother? Is she in the hospital again?”

Patrick only shook his head as he cried against, Adam’s chest.

“Was it your interview? It’s ok you didn’t get it this time.”

“No,” Patrick said, pushing back on Adam who didn’t release him. “I did get the job. Then I got fired.”

“Why?”

“I caused a fire.”

“What? Are you, all right?” Adam moved Patrick to the bed and sat him down.

“Didn’t you hear me?” said Patrick. “I lost my job.”

“Yes, I heard you. But you also said there was a fire.”

“That I caused.”

“But you didn’t get hurt. And that’s all I care about. So, you lost the job, you at least tried.”

“You’re not—disappointed in me?”

“Patrick, I love you. I have no right to judge you. I want to support you.” Adam kissed his lips and Patrick stopped crying. Adam wiped his wet cheeks with his thumbs and stared at his glinting eyes. “No more tears Pat.” Patrick sniffed and allowed Adam to lay him back on the bed. “You unpacked.”

“Yeah, I thought I could do something right for once.”

“This deserves a reward.”

“I’d like a shower.”

“I’d like to see you naked and wet.”

“Well then come join me.”

“I want that so bad, but I still have some work to do downstairs.”

“Okay, but first I have news.”

“What is it.” Patrick took a deep breath before answering.

“My parents are having their anniversary party this weekend and my father said you’re welcome to come.”

“A party?”

“Will you go with me?” Adam closed his eyes and thought it over then came to his decision.

“Of course, I’ll go with you.” Patrick hugged him.

“Thank you, you won’t regret it.”

“Okay. Let me get back to work. I’ll order dinner when I’m done.” Patrick noticed the brown envelope in Adam’s back pocket.

“What’s in that envelope?” asked Patrick. Adam pulled it out and held it up.

“This? Nothing but work. Don’t worry yourself.”

“Then I’m going to take a shower and a nap.”

“I’ll wake you when the food arrives.”

Adam kissed Patrick one last time before climbing off the bed and returning to his office.

Sitting at his desk, Adam opened the envelope, Yuri gave him and found a considerable amount of cash, a key card, with a pin number and directions to, Yuri’s penthouse. He was feeling sure that his reputation would excel once he completed this case. And the thought of buying a house might be a wise investment.

A knock on his door caused him to glance up.

“Come in.” Justin opened the door and walked in.

“If there’s nothing else you need from me boss I’d like to knock off early.”

“Got a date?”

“Some friends invited me to a club tonight.”

“Will you be able to make it in tomorrow?”

“Of course.”

“Okay, but keep your cell on and handy, I might need you.”

“So, what’s the case?”

“Crazy stalker and bodyguarding.”

Bodyguarding who?”

“I believe it’s Mr. Jin’s lover, but he only referred to him as someone he cared for.”

“Crap, why do the hot ones always have boyfriends.” Adam smiled and didn’t bother to ask if he was one of the hot ones.

“I’m meeting him tomorrow morning. Also, he paid cash, so, if you don’t mind before you leave can you put this in the safe and log the amount?”

“Sure.” Adam tossed the envelope to Justin. Once he caught it, he saw several bill's nothing smaller than a twenty. “Wow, is this your pay?”

“That’s for expenses, once the job’s complete, we receive a windfall of ten thousand.”

“We?” Justin beamed.

“Calm down, go do as I said. I’ll lock up. I’m going to order food.”

“Will do, boss.”

************

Yuri left Adam’s building holding his cell phone. He pressed the pound key triggering his high-end sports car alarm to go off and the driver door unlocked. Patrick barely spoke to Yuri at the restaurant. He seemed indifferent to him. Yuri typed out a message on his cell to, Cyprus Valdez, pressing send. He climbed behind the wheel and rev the motor driving back to his penthouse.

“Was he still angry with their break up?” he wondered. He so wanted to call him, but he promised Cyprus not to talk to Patrick, until the party. He drove up to the front door of the hotel where he rented the penthouse. The valet opened his car door. As he climbed out, he handed his car keys over to the young male who took control of the vehicle and drove off. He walked into the hotel as if he owned it. Staff welcomed him back as he walked to an elevator that a bellhop opened for him.

Welcome back, Mr. Jin,” the young woman said with a smile. Jin’s only acknowledgment was a head nod, which was enough for her. Jin rode alone in the lift as it took him to his second home. A bi-level six-bedroom penthouse with an in-ground pool/sauna, a library, a gourmet kitchen, separate living room, dining room, plus a sitting room, a library, and a landing pad on the roof for Yuri’s private helicopter.

The door opened, and he’s greeted by an excitable young barefooted male, wearing a tee shirt, and sweatpants. Yuri had to catch him as he leaped to embrace him.

“You’re back,” said Jamie Steward, Yuri’s eighteen-year-old lover, smiling as he kissed Yuri, who reciprocated the affection.

“I said I would be,” Yuri said, as they parted.

They stepped out of the elevator and walked down the hall to the sitting room. Where, a young, elegant woman in her thirties with long black locks, moved about pouring three cups of tea. She wore a simple black dress with long sleeves and low neckline. White slippers were on her feet as she moved about.

“Penny and I, made you tea and cookies.”

“You didn’t have to do that Penny,” said Yuri, accepting the hot drink from her and noticing she placed two cookies on the saucer.

“Jamie wanted to, and I didn’t mind. Besides, you love my cookies.”

“That is true,” he smiled. “But I have told you to hire a full-time staff to do these things. You are much too important for this.”

“This makes me happy Yuri, knowing you and Jamie are taken care of, properly.”

Jamie sat on the couch with a handful of cookies, while Yuri and Penny sat beside him. Penny grabbed her cup of tea.

“So, did you manage to find Jamie a bodyguard?” asked Penny.

“That and more.”

“What does that mean?” asked Jamie.

Yuri looked at him and saw his future staring back at him.

“Nothing,” answered Yuri, taking a sip of his tea. “Detective Potter will be here in the morning,” he added before biting into a cookie.

Thanks for reading and please leave a comment below.
Copyright © 2017 keyisfake; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..