Jump to content
    Kiltie69
  • Author
  • 2,384 Words
  • 34,115 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Marcus and the Slave - 1. Chapter 1

Marcus and the Slave.

 

Part 1

 

 

Koen stood naked and chained before the crowd, in the city of Neapolis. The clothed man shouted in the alien tongue. Koen looked around him, people were standing watching, laughing pointing at him. Behind him another 10 captives, from his town, just as naked and chained.

 

He remembered back to how he came here, he had been captured in a battle, by the Romans. The battle had been for a border town just inside Belgica. He was a Gaul, he was a fierce warrior, his name meant brave one, and now he stood in chains waiting to be sold off to the highest bidder.

 

The auctioneer, while extolling his attributes, moved around him touching him, pointing out features of his body. His broad shoulders and chest, his firm stomach, his more than ample package, his fire red hair. The man said something and there was laughter from the crowd. He pointed to a table to the side of the platform.

 

Koen knew the purpose of the table he had seen with his own eyes the unmanning of his uncle after his sale to one of the Romans, minutes before. He knew he would rather die than suffer that fate.

 

He was bent and turned and shown in every aspect, he glared the whole time this happened. The people applauded and laughed at the auctioneer's comments as this was done.

 

Then he saw him!

 

The man had the bearing of a warrior, he was not tall unlike Koen, but he stood with an air of authority. He had the dark complexion and weathered skin of a man used to the elements.

 

The bidding started and Koen realised that the same man who had bought his uncle was bidding for him, panic was something he rarely felt but he felt if now, panic and fear.

 

----------------------

 

Marcus Quintilius Braxus, stood to the side of the crowd in the slave market, he was in the market for some new slaves. his lands had been expanded and he required new field hands and possibly a house slave or two. He had money, his family had been well known and rich, before the death from the Flux. Having been an only child and had been left it all.

 

As a Centurion in the 6th cohort 13th Legion, he had fought in Gaul and other far flung lands. He had gained the rank of Primus Pilus or first Centurion after a hard fought battle. Where the enemy, had overwhelmed the second, third and seventh cohorts and had surrounded the general and his bodyguard. Marcus had led the legion reserve troops in an attack which had broken the Barbarians and in turn rescued the General and his retinue. For this he had gained the First Centurion rank. His father would have been proud had he been alive.

 

Marcus saw the slave as he had been brought out, remembering many like him over his years in the Legion. Wide eyed barbarians, fierce and loyal. This one had caught his eye, he was tall, and muscular built, his body dusted with red hair his muscles softened by this, he showed the scars of many a combat old and knew, he was bearded and long haired. Marcus thought he would make an excellent field worker, and with time maybe more. He heard the auctioneer, extolling the virtue of the barbarian, his chest his shoulders his back, other areas of his body which stirred long hidden feeling inside Marcus. He favoured the Greeks it was said. In other words he liked men. In his case, men like the barbarian in front of him.

 

He moved a little closer to the platform and looked up preparing a bid, when he caught the eye of the slave, he knew he had to have this one, he would fetch a high price but Marcus had the money.

 

He stood listening to the bidding, Lucius Crassus, a weasel of a man, was bidding for the slave; he already had bought 4, outbidding everyone else. Lucius ran a marble quarry and bought strong slaves who rarely made it past a few years in his charge. He was also ;nown to be a cruel man.

 

Marcus had already seen one man taken to the table to be unmanned who bore an uncanny resemblance to the auctioneers latest offering. He would not see such a handsome specimen go the same way.

 

The bidding was with Lucius, at 20 denarii. This was more than the slave worth to be truthful but Marcus raised his hand, and called 40 denarii. The crowd gasped and looked at him.

 

----------------

 

Koen could see his future as a man slipping away the sharper faced man had been bidding at every bid made. There was silence and the man had a smug look on his face. Koen noticed the Dark man move forward slightly and then raise his hand and speak. There was a gasp from the crowd all turned and looked at him. The weasel was ,scarlet; it was suddenly obvious to Koen what had happened. The dark man had bid for him. After some time and a little discussion the auctioneer took Koen by the arm and led him towards the side of the platform, the table drawing closer.

 

Koen stiffened, he was ready to fight, but it was too late he was grabbed by two larger brutish men and pulled from the platform. He saw the dark man approach and talk to the auctioneer, who looked perplexed. The dark man smiled and pointed in the direction of the town. Had Koen understood the language he would have known the dark man had saved his balls. He believed intact slaves were better for the fields, it also gave him an advantage when it came to punishment. No man wanted to lose his balls.

 

-------------

 

Marcus smiled as the auctioneer proclaimed his winning bid; he looked over at Lucius to see the look of hatred on his face. The auctioneer asked him forward to check his purchase and if he wanted any other services performed before the slave was taken. Marcus so the slaves face up close at last and so how white it was as he was grabbed, by the Slave markets enforcers, and march towards the table.

 

Marcus held up his hand and told the auctioneer the slave was to be left intact, but could they mark him and deliver him to his villa at the edge of town, he would pay the extra. He called over his bodyguard, a large Gaul, called Gracchus.

 

"Gracchus, tell this slave who I am and what is to happen."

 

Gracchus bowed "yes Dominus." he then turned toward Koen.

 

"Dog, I am Gracchus, body guard to Marcus Quintillius Braxus. You have just been bought by him. You will address him as Dominus if spoken to. You are to be taken to his villa to work, the fields, do well and the Dominus will be kind, do poorly you will be punished. The Dominus is a kind and generous man. Please him and you may gain position. I started as a field slave, at the age of 16; I am now his personal body guard. Now you have been warned, what is it that you are called?

 

"Koen"

 

"Well Koen you are lucky the master bought you. Look what has befallen the other slaves."

 

Koen turned to see the slaves Lucius had purchase being shackled and loaded onto a cart. Blood and burn marks obvious where their wounds were.

 

-----------------

 

Koen saw the large man approach, he was surprise when he spoke to him in his native tongue. He learned that the Dark mans name was Marcus and that for now he would be treated fairly. Then Gracchus pointed out the fate of some of the other slaves.

 

Koen felt lucky, but also sorrow as he saw some of his friends and family shackled and taken away.

 

He thanked the gods he was not them.

 

"I will do as you tell me."

 

With this said Gracchus nodded to the two men holding him and he was taken off to a holding pen for transport.

 

-------------------

 

Marcus purchased two more slaves after Koen, and like Koen they were spoken to by Gracchus. His day finished Marcus headed home. He would head through the market and see what he could find on his way, Gracchus always followed close behind. He reached his villa satisfied that he had increased his stock and also picked up a number of bargains as well. He had purchased wine, two amphors he had brought straight home the rest, another 22 were delivered that evening.

 

He sat in his study near the heart of his villa, sipping the wine, house slaves, mostly young men, moving here and there on various tasks. Marcus smiled at the thought of his latest purchases, particularly one.

 

He stood and headed through the reception area, a large open area in the heart of the villa used to entertain, the centre of which was a fountain, which was open to the sky. At one end was a door the led to a corridor which in turn led to the outside. At the other was a smaller reception room used for private meetings. To either side we're guest rooms and a large bath. Near the rear of the room was a large wooden door, this led to Marcus's private suites. Opposite this a door that led to the gardens. This was where they heading, as always followed by Gracchus.

 

"Gracchus my loyal man, I have a task for you. I wish you to bring the new slaves to me in the morning, they will be bathed and have their hair cut, before being presented to me in the court yard."

 

"As you wish Dominus".

 

With this Marcus moved through the gardens and in through a door that led to his private suite.

 

--------------

 

Koen did not know what to expect. He and two other men, from his town, where shackled together and marched, naked, through the streets, they were led to a large villa at the very edge of city.

 

As they approach he noticed the fields and the slave working them. He was amazed at how big the home for the Romans were, this one was one of the biggest he had scene. The villa was white and sprawling, there were a number of out buildings and barns, all surrounding a yard, into which he and his fellow slaves were led. They were marched to the centre of the yard and halted. The delivery men handed there tablets of sale to someone who although well dressed, was obviously a slave. Koen would find out that was the senior house slave in charge of running all things domestic.

 

He was looking around when he noticed Gracchus approach. His companions noticed Gracchus approach and shuffled uneasily.

 

"Welcome to the villa of Marcus Braxus,your new Dominus" he said with a feral smile.

 

"There are a few rules you require to know, firstly never speak unless spoken to except to one another when in your quarters. If the Dominus is about carry on with your task but do not look at him. If you are spoken to look down and always use his title. If you are given an order by an overseer or myself you will respond with sir."

 

"Right the Dominus wants to see you before you are assigned duties. You are to go with these slaves to be cleaned and prepped for meeting him. You will do as they say or you will be punished."

 

On saying this he pointed at 5 boys, all in their late teens, waiting to the side. Leon and his companions were led to a large building behind the main house, this was the slave quarters and housed bedrooms and kitchen facilities, for all the villas slaves it also housed a bath.

 

The young slave, unshackled Koen and the others then pointed into the the water, Koen, like many of his people had a distrust of water. But when the five boys stripped off their tunics and entered the water, he held back his fear and followed. Almost as one two of the boys started to bathe him, he didn't know what to do as they rubbed and scrubbed him. Even taking care to clean his intimate areas. He became aware that the other two new slaves had joined him.

 

Soon one of the boys took him by the arm and led him out of the pool to a rough wooden seat, indicating he should sit. Koen did this, feeling a little cold as the water dripped from his body. The boy moved to a table at the side and picked up a metal item, a set of clippers, that looked like two knifes joined. He spoke to Koen as he did.

 

"The Dominus wants your hair cut and beard removed, I will do this for you now. Do not fear I will not hurt you."

 

Koen smiled at this. The lad was on the small side with little muscle. Koen could easily beat him if needed. Soon the lad was clipping away at his hair. Clumps falling to the ground. His red hair which was down below his shoulders was soon no longer than the nap of his neck. Next went his beard between the clippers and a knife the lad made light work of his facial hair. Soon he was clean shaven, and clean. His fellow slaves the same. During the process he had learned their names. The heavy set dark haired and eyed, bull, was Bratranix and the shorter muscular blonde was Lucranos.

 

When all three were bathed and shaved they were handed a simple tunic to put on then led back to the yard. Gracchus and the head of the house staff stood waiting for them.

Copyright © 2013 Kiltie69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Masters and slaves, oh my Tom what have you wrought? :whistle:

 

Well I'm always up for a bit of master action err. . . Roman bath action err.... historical fiction - yeah that's it historical fiction, so sign me up. 0:)

Link to comment
On 02/26/2012 07:34 AM, Andy78 said:
A good start Tom. Looking forward to reading more.
More soon, and thanks.
Link to comment
On 02/26/2012 10:16 AM, Rebelghost85 said:
Good start. This story has a lot of promise.
Hoping to make this an epic. Thanks

 

Link to comment
On 02/26/2012 10:20 AM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
Masters and slaves, oh my Tom what have you wrought? :whistle:

 

Well I'm always up for a bit of master action err. . . Roman bath action err.... historical fiction - yeah that's it historical fiction, so sign me up. 0:)

Oh it's a little bath action lots of slave action and a few scare moments. Thanks Andy.

 

Link to comment
On 02/28/2012 03:40 AM, Conner said:
I just know I'm going to like this story! thumbsup.gif As others have said, great start!
I sure hope so Conner. And thanks,
Link to comment
On 03/03/2012 11:35 PM, Billy Martin said:
Awesome start! I can't wait to read more :)
Well I plan to build it slowly if I can..

 

Link to comment

I was once told that in every facet of every relationship there is a master and a slave... but just who is who?

YAY I love this effort and I will carry on reading darlin. GO ALL RED HEARDS YAY!

 

Love from Joey~

Link to comment
On 03/20/2012 09:42 AM, said:
I was once told that in every facet of every relationship there is a master and a slave... but just who is who?

YAY I love this effort and I will carry on reading darlin. GO ALL RED HEARDS YAY!

 

Love from Joey~

Thank you Joey hope you enjoy the rest.
Link to comment

Hey, one thing I noted as I went back to read the first chapter again is the fact that Gracchus says he started in the fields 6 yrs past. That can't be given the later revelation. He'd have to have been with the family for much longer...dating to before Marcus' birth. Just in case you attempt to publish it someday.

Link to comment
On 08/11/2013 07:00 PM, Cannd said:
Hey, one thing I noted as I went back to read the first chapter again is the fact that Gracchus says he started in the fields 6 yrs past. That can't be given the later revelation. He'd have to have been with the family for much longer...dating to before Marcus' birth. Just in case you attempt to publish it someday.
Thanks Cannd, that little continuity error has been addressed I hope. :). Glad you like it.
Link to comment

I think if I was Koen, where ever he was now, was better than the fate of those, who went to the table like his uncle. Great start, thank you.

Link to comment
On 08/30/2013 09:11 AM, sandrewn said:
I think if I was Koen, where ever he was now, was better than the fate of those, who went to the table like his uncle. Great start, thank you.
Thanks Sandrewn:)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..