Jump to content
    Kiltie69
  • Author
  • 4,693 Words
  • 3,793 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Marcus and the Slave - 12. Chapter 12

sub>The penultimate chapter. Not saying anything.

Marcus and the Slave. 12

 

Marcus was pacing, dawn was still an hour or so away, the men were ready and armed. They would reach the target just after dawn, if they left soon. They all wore cloaks, to conceal the armour most wore. As trained Legionaries, they would have no trouble dealing with the rabble defending the target.

 

Orders were given and they set off. They moved quickly and quietly, keeping off the roads to aid concealment. As the sun was cresting the horizon to their right, the last men moved into position.

 

Marcus signalled the attack, the men marched forward. Then at a second command, trumpets and drums were blown. Below, in the village, panic erupted; men, women and children scattered in all directions. Some of the village warriors tried to put up a defence, but the attack had been timed perfectly. Few would be up; those that were would be groggy. Marcus and his men fought and burned as they went.

 

It was then he saw him; he was everything a barbarian should be: tall, muscular, dark haired, powerful, the scars of battle on his body. Marcus moved towards him, the warrior’s companion fell and with the distraction, he struck with the flat of the blade. The warrior went down unconscious. As he passed the unconscious man, he pointed and his men dragged him off to be added to the captives.

 

--------------------

 

Marcus watched Koen, as the men discussed the final arrangements. The day would see an end to Lucius Crassus's schemes. All that was needed now was to gather the men and head to the mine.

 

Between them Marcus, Marius, and Gracchus came up with a plan. One which would allow a small group into the presence of Lucius Crassus. At the same time another group, with Gracchus in charge, would visit the mine.

 

By day’s end, it was hoped that both groups would be safely back at Marcus's villa. Where Marcus would be waiting to host a truly Bacchanalian feast, if all went well that is.

------------------

 

Marchus had one last thing to do. He sat in his office watching the candle flicker, the flame dancing hypnotically. When Koen entered, he looked up and smiled.

"Koen, you know your place in this. I do not want you to go. If something went wrong I would.....I could lose you. The day in the market, when you were attacked, I was at a loss as I thought you dead. Now you volunteer to go into danger, to help protect my name. Why?"

 

"Dominus, if you had not bought me I would be a slave at the mines like my kin. Likely now I would be dead or close to it. You treat your slaves with kindness, firmly but fairly and in turn most of us are grateful. We had heard the tales of horror, the whispers, in the slave pens, the repeated threats of beatings and mutilations.

 

“I thank the gods for the day you placed the bid for me. I am your slave no matter what and always will be. Slave in contract and slave of heart. I do this willingly because once it is done, no further harm should befall the house of Marcus Quintilus Braxus."

 

Marcus, without thought grabbed the man before him hugging him close. As he spoke, his voice had a trembling quality to it. “I know Lucius, I only hope Marius and his men achieve their goal before his temper causes harm. It is time to go."

 

-----------

 

With the distance that was to be covered, it was decided to take a grain wagon. The men huddled on the back looked like drovers or farmers.

 

Marcus stood at the gate to the villa as the wagon pulled away. He could not be officially involved for his own sake. Deniability was paramount.

 

As the wagon moved deeper into darkness, he felt his heart get heavy. It was the same feeling he got each time he and Marcellus had woken before a battle. If all went well,the feast tonight would be the time for his own personal plan. But the day would be long; he turned and headed to his office. He felt the loss of young Lucius; at moments like these he always had something to brighten the mood.

 

Prastagus appeared to announce that he had sent an overseer and some of the field slaves to collect last minute supplies. The villa was well stocked and both the slaves and house kitchens were abuzz with activity. The feast would be held in the central section of the villa. All the curtains were drawn so from main door to garden was now one long room. His final part of his report was that last minute invites had been dispatched to various notable locals. Entertainments were also planned.

 

Marcus barely took the information in. But still had the presence, to thank Prastagus for his efforts. The feast would be unforgettable one way or the other. All he could do now was worry. He sat, the plan running through his head. The two groups separating; the one led by Gracchus and Marius heading towards mines, walking. The smaller group of Varus and one called Cato, travelling on the wagon to the villa. The now dressed body of Titus on the back. Along with the one piece of precious cargo: Koen.

 

---------------

 

On leaving the villa, Koen watched the men as they talked; he sat, as yet unfettered on the flat bed of the wagon. Gracchus and Marius were up front. He knew Gracchus was watching him, he could feel his eyes on him. He had also caught him staring, a strange expression on his face. Turning his attention back to the men, he noticed Varus, watching him closely.

 

Not before long they were sitting side by side.

 

"So you are Koen, the great warrior I have heard so much of."

 

Koen sat, a little stunned by this. "Yes, I am Koen"

 

Varus's tone changed, eased a little. "I know who you are, no one here would not, but only a few have seen you fight and fewer yet know of your previous exploits in saving your Dominus. Young Lucius, dearly departed, liked to talk, amongst other things."

 

His tone was of a soldier talking of a close comrade. No malice, just information. Koen looked at Varus and could see the wetness of the man’s eyes. He was close to tears, but held back. "He was a good friend, I will miss him greatly. If we succeed, he will be avenged tenfold."

 

Varus just nodded and let his head hang. Koen was uncertain but he thought he heard him speak. It was barely audible over the rumble of the cart wheels. "Had I only kept him in my bed."

 

Koen knew what would have been the result of that. Young Lucius had sacrificed himself and in doing so, saved Marcus. “Had he not given the alert things would be different."

 

This said they slipped into silence again.

 

----------

 

Gracchus had heard the exchange; he knew what the consequences would have been. His thoughts even surprised himself: had Koen died, things would have ended.

 

Gracchus had seen one thing that had changed his mind during the night. When the alarm had been raised and he entered Marcus's chamber it was Koen who was wrapped protectively around Marcus. The second before they woke and wrestled to untangle themselves, he saw Marcus as a child asleep, not a fear in the world.

 

He may have prefered women, but he knew love; it was just unwise, given his trade. He had one love and that was Marcus. He had loved, cared, and protected him since childhood. He knew his very moods just from a look. He had been afraid Marcus was being used, but on seeing the men asleep, he knew there was mutuality to the relationship.

 

This changed his view of Koen. Yes, he could be as fickle as any woman. Worse sometimes, but in matters of Marcus, his son. He would always protect him and he would never know.

 

----------------

 

Aurelia lay on the bed, her divine body draped, in silk, almost transparent. The outline of her breasts, the curve of her hips, clearly visible.

 

Gracchus stood watching; at 18 he was still not fully developed. Quintillus, enjoyed watching when his wife bedded the house slaves, especially the younger ones. Quintillus and Aurelia had been trying for children for years, and the only time she had come close was when she was bedded by a slave. This night was like the rest: first the slave then Quintillus bedded her.

 

Weeks passed and Aurelia was certain she was pregnant. She spoke to the family medicus, and after some more time it was confirmed. She was indeed pregnant and she knew for certain it was Gracchus’s. Quintillus had failed to spill his seed that night.

 

Years later, during a drunken conversation, Aurelia confided her secret to Gracchus.

 

-----------

 

The plan was simple: Koen was a captive. Marius's men were to take him to Lucius along with the body of Titus. Once there, they would kidnap Lucius. While this was happening, the rest would be starting a riot at the mine, hopefully drawing men away from Lucius's villa. Once this was done, Koen and the men would easily handle the remaining guards and take Lucius. Like all plans, few survive contact with the enemy.

 

----------

 

Gracchus trusted Marius's men; they were well trained and skilled beyond your average soldier. They were at the mine now Gracchus was crouched on a ledge above the slave barns. To his right were the small set of buildings that made up the quarters for the overseers. There was shuffling and groaning coming from the barns as the slaves woke, the sun now over the horizon behind Gracchus.

 

He saw a group of overseers moving across the yard towards the barns, batons and whips ready for use.

 

Gracchus watched, and then heard the men, motivating the slaves to get up. There was no activity to the rear of one of the buildings and, as he watched, he could see men ladling gruel into bowls from a large cauldron.

 

Soon there was a stream of naked, chained figures, shuffling from the barns. They were led to the kitchen where the gruel sat and made to eat. Eventually the overseers saw them all to the mine.

 

-------

 

While the final preparations were concluded at the mine, Koen with Varus and Cato drove the wagon into the main villa’s courtyard. With Titus indisposed, Lucius had Flavius, Titus's nephew, act in his stead.

 

He heard the approaching cart and left the villa to check who it was. Flavius saw the two men up front and two bundles on the flat bed at the back.

 

"Hail there. What brings you to the Villa of Lucius Crassus?

 

"We have business with Dominus Crassus. His man, Titus, hired us to assist in a job. The task was completed, but not without misfortune. We have a gift for him as well as news of Titus.

 

Flavius stood while the men dismounted and uncovered the bundles. The first was Koen, bound hand and foot. The second....the second was his Uncle. Flavius, on seeing the body, turned and headed to find Lucius. The grief at his uncle’s loss boiling up and bringing tears to him.

 

-------

 

Lucius had just woken he had heard the cart and voices. As he dressed, his thoughts went to what had happened the previous day. As he was ordering his slaves to their daily tasks, he was interrupted by a distressed Flavius.

 

"Dominus, two men have arrived by cart. They claim to have been hired by Titus to assist in dealing with Marcus. They have my uncle’s dead body with them. They also have the slave, Koen."

 

Lucius snapped round to face Flavius at the mention of Titus, then a feral grin spread on his face at the mention of Koen.

 

"I will come and see for myself. We must find out how Titus died. Once I hear their tale, we will be able to reward them appropriately."

 

Lucius strode off with Flavius in tow. His personal slave followed on as did his three bodyguards. Arriving in the yard, he found the two men sitting on the cart.

 

"Dominus Crassus, my name is Varus, my companion here is Cato. We were hired by Titus, yesterday, to assist in the capture of the body slave of Marcus Braxus."

 

"Before we move on, tell me how Titus died?"

 

"We do not know, all I can say is that we found this slave carrying his body towards the cess pit at the rear of the slave quarters. That was just before dawn this morning. We managed to take him and save the body of Titus."

 

"Hmmmmmm, you take the body to the medicus and have him prepped for cremation." He indicated for the house slave to take the body with a guard. "Varus, right, bring that with you and follow me." Varus and Cato lifted the "sleeping" Koen from the cart.

 

Just as they started to move into the villa, a cry was heard. Lucius turned his head, swiveling to locate where the cry had come from.

 

 

"Dominus, Dominus, the mines are being attacked, raiders!"

 

Lucius looked at the overseer who had now appeared through some trees. Then turning to the remaining guard, said "Gather some men and go assist." Turning to Varus, "You, did Titus pay you. I need you to go with this man and help defend my mine. I will pay additional fees."

 

As the conversation was going on, men went rushing past in the direction of the mines. Screams and shouts could now be heard from that direction. Lucius had been raided before. The attackers were usually desperate beggars and thieves. This should be over soon enough.

 

--------

 

Koen was fully aware of what was happening: Varus talking to Lucius, the removal of Titus and Varus and Cato lifting him. Yes he was tied, but loosely. He hung loosely between Varus and Cato, waiting.

 

---------

 

Gracchus watched as Marius and three of his men slipped behind one of the slave barns.

 

It was time. he watched as the slaves were fed, and then stood, moving towards the waiting horses. Mounting, he grasped the reins and was off. He headed to a small track that led to the road. He was followed by Tyrannus, a large bear of a man. They reached the road and turned towards the mine. As they draw nearer, they saw the overseers beating a few of the slower slaves.

 

"What you wanting stranger?" This from a man dressed in leather and carrying a whip.

 

"I am Agrippa, I'm here to purchase a slave or two. Our camp needs a warm......"

 

"We have none for sale."

 

"Who said they had to be for sale?"

 

Pulling a bag of money from his belt, Gracchus/Agrippa drew a few golden coins from it.

"For your trouble."

 

The head overseer took the proffered coins, and then called over a second overseer, “Bring me 20 slaves. You know the ones to choose from.”

 

The younger man moved off and soon had a group of slaves in tow. They were emaciated and near death, it was hard to tell men from women, unless you looked at the groin. Few had much life left.

 

"You can have 4. All I can spare. It's a gold Aurius a slave.” The overseer held out his hand, waiting.

 

Gracchus moved along the slaves, showing an interest, checking them over, he selected the ones he wanted and moved to pay.

 

"These are not worth an As, you try to trick me. I will pay good coin for good slaves; these are pox ridden and dying."

 

The overseer just laughed and turned to leave. "You can have your pick of these or none at all. Take them back to their duties.”

 

This was what Gracchus had hoped for. He drew his dagger and grabbed the Overseer. "You try to cheat me, I give you gold and you repay me this way? Here, accept my payment."

With this he plunged his blade into the overseer. Tyrannus was also on the move, heading towards the second man who had led the slaves away. As he struck, the slaves screamed and panicked.

 

It was like a ripple on calm waters, their attack sparked a panic amount slave and overseer alike.

 

"Raiders, sound the alarm.”

 

This was the sign the rest of the men had waited for. Gracchus and Tyrannus forged through the overseers that tried to stop them. They were like some elemental force. Bodies fell around them as they moved through the area around the mines. Meanwhile Marius and the rest of his men were creating as much havoc. As they worked their way across the mine they left the Overseers for dead and the slaves cowering in their bonds.

 

Gracchus turned to see one man racing from the mine pit, in the direction of the villa.

 

-----------

 

Marchus had kept busy, while waiting for news, he had written out some papers in preparation of the raiders return. He sat at his desk now; his mind adrift in the ether. What would happen if the plan failed? How would he cope if Koen was hurt? Many such questions passed through his mind.

 

It would soon be noon, Marius and his men should be returning, anytime.

 

--------

 

Koen felt himself be carried down a flight of stairs and shortly after felt cold stone under him. Little had been said during this time, other than Lucius's command of, "Follow me." Cato had carried him, limp, over his shoulder after Varus was sent away.

 

"Place him there, I want to see what Marcus see's in this scum." Koen felt hands grab at him, pulling him about, positioning him as best they could with his limbs tied. He felt his subligar loosen and fall, the sudden coolness on his crotch, then a vice like grip as Lucius inspected his wares.

 

"Marcus always did like his meat. Not to my liking, but I will have fun with this one. Anything I do to harm him will harm Marcus."

 

Koen felt anger and rage boil inside; this vermin needed to be taught a lesson.

 

"I think I will display him at the roadside, naked. But first let us turn him into a true slave of the mines. You fetch me that knife on the table there. Time to geld this beast."

 

Cato watched as the last guard moved to collect the gelding blade. Waiting till he was past[,] he struck. The guard hadn't a chance. He sank to the ground, striking his head on the table as he fell. Blood spilled on the floor as he lay there.

 

Lucius Crassus suddenly felt scared he moved around the table trying to put distance between himself and the attacker. At this Cato, shouted, "Now!"

 

Koen's eyes shot open. In the blink of an eye he was free of his bonds and on the move to intercept Lucius.

 

Lucius, for all his soft living, was fast. Sadly for him, Koen was faster. As Lucius was screaming for help, Koen caught him and flung him back towards the now waiting Cato.

 

Cato had the gelding blade in his hand. "Time to make you pay, you bastard. All the slaves you have killed demand revenge."

 

Lucius tried to run again, this time, for the stairs. Again, he failed and was flung into the room centre. He hit the stone slab; Koen had been on and crumpled to the ground.

 

Cato moved towards him. Lucius seeing a chance, grabbed for the blade and missed.

He tried again and soon Cato and he were fighting for control of the weapon. Cato screamed as Lucius somehow plunged the blade into him.

 

"Now for you. Time to die slave." Lucius, the dripping blade, now in his hand, moved towards Koen. Koen had crouched ready to fend off any attack by Lucius, still unarmed, but more than able to fight.

 

Lucius warily approached, an able fighter; he had fought briefly with the legions. He moved with a little skill, lunging to test Koen's defences. On one of the lunges he caught Koen's hand while it was held out-spread, ready to grab at or block and attack.

 

Koen felt the searing pain as his hand was opened along his life line, from mound of Venus to just below his pinkie. He clenched the wounded hand into a fist, just in time as Lucius followed with a reverse attack. Koen knew this was a fight for life or death, He could see Cato lying, blood pooling round him from the gut wound.

 

Lucius, seeing he had injured the slave, pressed his attack. He saw a chance and lunged. He realised his mistake as he felt a hand grip his weapon wrist. He was suddenly spinning across the room. This time when he struck the slab there was an audible crack. Lucius felt the searing pain of broken bones. He tried to breathe but found he had trouble, on a second breath, red froth appeared on his lips. He sank to the ground, more froth and blood appearing with each laboured breath.

 

Koen moved towards him, still wary. He kicked at the knife hand, causing the blade to be dropped and Lucius to cry in pain. He watched as blood seemed to flow freely from Lucius Crassus's mouth. He knew Crassus was dying, his lungs filling with fluid from the puncture of broken ribs. Koen stood watching the man before him die.

 

"Help me, slave, fetch......." A bout of wet coughing interrupted Lucius, blood spraying across his body. "Fetch help."

 

Koen looked at Lucius and laughed.

 

"Why? Why help you? You ordered my death, to hurt Marcus. Look at you: gasping for life, I should help you on your way." He picked up the knife and stepped closer to the pathetic figure that was Lucius. "I can end your suffering. Beg for death."

 

Lucius coughed again, "Never, you are a slave you are beneath me."

 

Koen looked down. "Haa, beneath you, a lowly slave has just bested you, the same slave that bested all your attempts to kill him. You are not worth the effort of a quick death. "

 

Koen turned and moved to the fallen Cato, there were still signs of life in him, but not for long. As he lifted him into his arms, the door to the room, they were in, flew open;

Varus blocked it. Behind him stood Gracchus and Marius.

 

"Where is Lucius?"

 

Koen nodded in the direction of the stone slab. He handed the unconscious Cato to Gracchus and Marius. "He is over there, almost dead."

 

Varus moved into the room and saw the, now unconscious, Lucius slumped on the ground. Blood and spit trickling from his mouth with each breath.

 

By now Marius and Gracchus had done what they could to help Cato, and then moved to see Lucius.

 

As they leant in to him Koen spoke.

 

"Leave him to die. Because of him, young Lucius was murdered, many others have died in his mine. My uncle and cousins likely among them."

 

Gracchus stared at Koen, then at Marius who was checking out Lucius Crassus.

 

"Well can he be saved?"

 

Marius looked up and just shook his head. They left him to his fate.

 

Koen grabbed his discarded subligar, only now realising he had been nude all this time.

 

---------

 

They left, the now near deserted Villa, and headed back towards the mine. Marius had the cart loaded with Cato, who was unconscious, but still alive. Gracchus had taken a horse and headed off towards Neapolis.

 

Koen was now dressed in a truncated tunic, the garment only just coming below his subligar. He was loosely bound again. As a slave taken from the villa, it was required, to keep up the pretence of Marius being a raider. When they arrived, they found many of the slaves still at the mine, some too sick to move, some too scared to. It was death for a slave to abscond, if they were caught. Many of those still sitting around cowered back as they approached. Being thought as raiders had been their plan and it seemed to have worked.

 

All the time looking from under his bowed head, glancing at those around him. As Koen walked, he noticed a small knot of men huddled at the side. They were all of a similar build; they showed signs of being strong once. He had passed them when he realised he knew them; they were the men who had stood on the block the day he had been purchased. They were the remains of his friends and family.

 

He stopped. Marius, feeling the rope go tight, turned.

 

Koen started to move again. Marius, in character, spoke, "Stop again slave and you shall be beaten." Moving off again, he tugged the rope and Koen followed. They headed to one of the overseer buildings and once the building had been checked, spoke. "Marius, those men huddled together are of my town. I'm not sure, but my uncle and cousins were among them. We cannot leave them here."

 

Marius looked at Koen, then spoke to one of the men. "Gather that group and a few of the fitter slaves, ensure a few women. We will take them with us. Varus, myself and Cato will take Koen to Marcus and gather our payment. Tyrannus, you take the rest and head south. You know where to wait. The slaves are not to be hurt. We are not Lucius Crassus, we are Men of the 13th."

 

The orders given, men moved off. Soon there was a line of slaves loosely bound ready to be moved. Tyrannus had found a second cart and with some help had loaded it with a few supplies.

 

All too soon, Koen stood watching as the cart; bearing Tyrannus and Marius's men trundled off, the train of slaves, including his relatives, shambling along behind.

 

--------

 

Marcus heard the rumble of a cart and even before Prastagus arrived to inform him, he was up and moving. As he reached the door, Prastagus entered to inform him that the cart was Marius and Varus.

 

He strode swiftly to the main villa door, and stopped. There stood Koen at the side of the cart, a body in his arms.

 

Marcus turned to Prastagus, "Quick fetch the medicus." Prastagus vanished; for a man of his stature he could move. Koen carried Cato into the villa, laying him on a seat. As he stood to turn, he felt the presence of Marcus.

 

"You live; I take it the plan worked well?" Marcus's voice was quiet, gentle; not at all his usual.

 

"Yes, we did well. Marius took the mine. Varus, Cato and I dealt with the villa."

 

"What of Lucius?"

 

"He was close to death when we left. He was breathing, blood coming from his mouth. His death would have been slow." With this reported, Koen's whole body seemed to slump.

 

"Koen, wait for me in my chambers. Go, I’ll be with you shortly." Marcus watched as Koen moved off, he then turned to Marius.

span style="font-size:1em;line-height:1.3em;"> I just want to thank Myiege, for her work in editing and bringing Marcus to you.
One more chapter to go, Then it is over.
If you enjoyed the tory please leave a review.
Copyright © 2013 Kiltie69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

First you annouce only one chapter to go (sadness), then we find out Gracchus is the father of Marcus. This is / was a great story. However, I don't know how you are going to end it, but will enjoy whatever last minute twist you add to it. Thank you.

Link to comment
On 08/06/2013 10:10 AM, sandrewn said:
First you annouce only one chapter to go (sadness), then we find out Gracchus is the father of Marcus. This is / was a great story. However, I don't know how you are going to end it, but will enjoy whatever last minute twist you add to it. Thank you.
Like all good tales there will be something Sandrew. it may be happy it may be sad. I will say its been great fun so far. Gracchus was fun to play with the whole hatred thing had people asking who is Marcus going to deal with it...little did we know. :) Glad you have enjoyed.
Link to comment

I for one would like for Marcus to somehow find out about his true parentage - or announce he already knows somehow.

And no ending the thing off in a way that would prevent another visit to the villa of Marcus Quintillius Braxus!

Link to comment
On 08/07/2013 01:40 AM, Kitt said:
I for one would like for Marcus to somehow find out about his true parentage - or announce he already knows somehow.

And no ending the thing off in a way that would prevent another visit to the villa of Marcus Quintillius Braxus!

Last bit first, we will be returning to the Villa at some point. As for Marcus finding out. That's in book 2. ;). We shall just have to wait to see though. :)
Link to comment
On 08/07/2013 01:40 AM, Kitt said:
I for one would like for Marcus to somehow find out about his true parentage - or announce he already knows somehow.

And no ending the thing off in a way that would prevent another visit to the villa of Marcus Quintillius Braxus!

Last bit first, we will be returning to the Villa at some point. As for Marcus finding out. That's in book 2. ;). We shall just have to wait to see though. :)
Link to comment
On 08/07/2013 01:40 AM, Kitt said:
I for one would like for Marcus to somehow find out about his true parentage - or announce he already knows somehow.

And no ending the thing off in a way that would prevent another visit to the villa of Marcus Quintillius Braxus!

Last bit first, we will be returning to the Villa at some point. As for Marcus finding out. That's in book 2. ;). We shall just have to wait to see though. :)
Link to comment

WOW great chapter. I love the revelation about Gracchus. That explains a lot. I am sure Marcus doesn't know of his true parentage, as he'd act differently if he did. I loved the whole take-over and am glad Koen got to deal what would be the death blow to Lucius. I am also glad you didn't do as I expected and have Gracchus save Koen's life after revealing his being Marcus' father and his realization that Koen loves Marcus in return. I do believe Marcus can never know the truth, as he'd not let Gracchus continue to work for him and Gracchus wouldn't accept not protecting his son for the remainder of his life. I am glad Gracchus got to see what he did and has the peace of mind that his son is truly loved and happy. I am not sure what the plan is for the rest of the legion that took the slaves off to wait for something. Will they claim to have stopped the take-over? If so, the slaves would have seen the others who acted as raiders. Does Marcus get the mine? I'll be interested to see how it ends. Esp. how their relationship is worked out. I know how badly Marcus wants Koen as his partner, an equal one. I know he mentioned his being a Gladiator allowing for the best chance, but I can't see his risking Koen's life for it. I guess if he is freed, he still isn't worthy of being a partrician's mate? I am still wondering about the dreams they both had of the past. I thought Marcus was retired from the legion a bit before Koen was captured. I am assuming he wasn't the one who cut down Koen's love, right? I hope Cato makes it and am only surprised Varus wasn't the one to go with Koen to kill Lucius, given his need for revenge for slave Lucius' death. I've loved this story and will be sad to see it end.

Link to comment
On 08/11/2013 06:44 PM, Cannd said:
WOW great chapter. I love the revelation about Gracchus. That explains a lot. I am sure Marcus doesn't know of his true parentage, as he'd act differently if he did. I loved the whole take-over and am glad Koen got to deal what would be the death blow to Lucius. I am also glad you didn't do as I expected and have Gracchus save Koen's life after revealing his being Marcus' father and his realization that Koen loves Marcus in return. I do believe Marcus can never know the truth, as he'd not let Gracchus continue to work for him and Gracchus wouldn't accept not protecting his son for the remainder of his life. I am glad Gracchus got to see what he did and has the peace of mind that his son is truly loved and happy. I am not sure what the plan is for the rest of the legion that took the slaves off to wait for something. Will they claim to have stopped the take-over? If so, the slaves would have seen the others who acted as raiders. Does Marcus get the mine? I'll be interested to see how it ends. Esp. how their relationship is worked out. I know how badly Marcus wants Koen as his partner, an equal one. I know he mentioned his being a Gladiator allowing for the best chance, but I can't see his risking Koen's life for it. I guess if he is freed, he still isn't worthy of being a partrician's mate? I am still wondering about the dreams they both had of the past. I thought Marcus was retired from the legion a bit before Koen was captured. I am assuming he wasn't the one who cut down Koen's love, right? I hope Cato makes it and am only surprised Varus wasn't the one to go with Koen to kill Lucius, given his need for revenge for slave Lucius' death. I've loved this story and will be sad to see it end.
Wow Cannd you got it all in lol. All ill say is we will see. I will clear up one thing. The rest of Marius's men are heading away with slaves that think them raiders. To our knowledge no one recognised Koen. :) I do plan a return to Villa Braxus. Had Lucius not sent Varus off he would have dealt the blow. Varus being of the legion will find another. I'm sure. :).

 

Thank you again for following The tale. I will miss them but only for a bit. :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..