Jump to content
    Kiltie69
  • Author
  • 4,548 Words
  • 4,707 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Marcus and the Slave - 8. Chapter 8

Koen has healed after the assault. Marcus is seeking information and revenge.
The issue with page breaks has been sorted.

Marcus and the Slave

It had been some weeks since the incident at the slave pens. Koen had been treated by the medicus and then told to rest. This period was over and now he was assigned light duties, he moved about the villa. His wound, covered in a bandage and healing well, caused him to favour his side on occasion but otherwise he was able to assist his master in many tasks.

During this time Marcus had pondered how to make Lucius pay for his attempt on the slaves. Lucius's attack had been a slight on Marcus and he had to take action. Marcus was new to the intrigues of the city, but a quick study, the legion had taught him that much. One lesson was that force was not necessarily required.

He knew Lucius would be looking for slaves, so one way would be to try buying the better ones for his properties. But that would only be a short term method. It could be interesting to upset Lucius again, maybe provoke a stronger reaction but he would need to be ready.

While relaxing in the bath being ministered to by Koen he had a thought. The 13th legion were returning to Rome, for a triumph, there would be legionnaires mustering out and looking for work. He would write to his friend Remus Augustus his second, now First Spear of the Thirteenth. An invite to a meal and a visit would be well received, he was sure.

He sat at his desk and quickly penned a message to his friend, inviting him to Neapolis to visit after the triumph. Calling Gracchus he related his idea to invite his friend and asked him to take the message to Rome, a round trip of roughly a day. The legion would be camped out on the fields of Mars outside the city, till long after the triumph then would no doubt be sent off again to some barbarian land.

Once Gracchus had departed on his errand Marcus called for Koen to attend him.

"Koen, how are your wounds, are you fit to join me on a tour of the farm."

Koen was a little taken aback at his masters’ request after his health.

"Dominus, I have had worse and I'm still here, thank you for enquiring. When would you like to view the farm?"

"After lunch, I want to check the new slaves. Prastagus says the youngest has been talking about the slave that saved him. How he killed an armed man with his bare hands. I wish to hear more of the story myself at some time."

Koen felt pride at the fact that Marcus wanted him to act as escort, another chance to be close to his Dominus.

So after lunch Koen found himself following slightly behind Marcus, touring the vineyards with Prastagus. All looked well Marcus's slaves were naked but well fed which given the manual nature of the tasks meant they were kept fit and well-muscled.

Koen found himself comparing the various slaves, to each other, and to his Dominus. There were men of all types and one or two women, in whom he had no interest. Marcus watched with interest all the goings on as he moved through his estate, he could see the slaves were in good health, even the ones that were recently punished showed signs of being treated.

Marcus noted the small group of men resting at the side of a field first, their overseer sitting under an olive tree a short way off. He recognised the five slaves he recently bought. All looked fit and well the middle brother had the look much like Koen but with a lesser build. Marcus looked but found he had no real interest. Koen was in his heart now. He smiled inwardly at the thought. Stopping next to the olive tree, he spoke to the overseer. The slaves realising who was standing there started shuffling uncomfortably, wondering what was happening.

The overseer, having finished his talk with Marcus moved off and gathered his charges to continue their work.

Marcus admired the slaves as they moved off, heading away from him it gave him a chance to watch the play of their muscles as the moved, he admired good form and given the work these men did they were in good form.

Koen, too was watching the bodies of the men, he especially noticed the oldest of the five brothers, a man that could rival Prastagus in build, almost. The youngest brother kept looking at him over his shoulder as he worked digging the field making it ready for planting.

Marcus smiled as he recognised the looks the boy was giving Koen. He had seen it many times in the legion. Hero worship of young recruits towards the veterans was a common thing. This in some cases led to trouble when the veterans took advantage of it.

"Koen, you may speak to the young man. He has been asking after your health. Prastagus and I will continue the tour."

All Koen could do was acknowledge his Dominus and watch him leave. The overseer, who had heard the conversation shouted.

"Thor."

Koen watched as the overseer stood waiting for the young slave to approach.

Koen admired the young man’s physique, he watch as the sunlight played over the sweat moist flesh, he admired the physique of the young man, in all its aspects.

"Be quick, the Dominus wants work not talk…". The overseer growled and then moved of a little still within hearing distance.

"You are the Dominus's body slave?" Thor asked, his voice a mellow but clear tenor, rich for someone his years.

Koen nodded.

He felt weird standing clothed as this young man stood naked, as he had done not so long ago. He was a fellow slave, a lucky one but still a slave.

Thor continued to talk.

"I wish to thank you for saving my brothers and I, had you not been there I'm sure one or more of us would not be here now."

Koen looked at the young man, his smile was warm, and he had filled out in the few weeks since the incident.

"It was the least I could do since the Dominus wanted to save you from the mines, you are lucky to have him as your master. He is a good man, I started much as you in the fields but luck brought me to his attention and I ended as his house slave."

The young slave watched him closely noting his build, hidden by his clothing; he also noticed the scars that showed on his arms. After what he did in the slave market it was clear to him that Koen had been a warrior of some skill.

As he was about to speak again they heard a shout, it was one of the overseers. Koen reacted turning in his direction, away from Thor, he listened and glancing over his shoulder, spoke.

"I must go I will no doubt speak with you again, luck and health Thor, do as you are told and you will survive this place. It is not too bad, you may even get lucky as I did."

Saying this Koen smiled, turned and trotted off.

He saw in the distance a group of men near the boundary of the vineyard. They were gesturing towards the fields edge and pacing, as they parted he spotted the Dominus at their heart, kneeling.

Koen kept up his pace, even with his life in the villa he barely broke sweat, his breathing was deep but had not increased any. He arrived to find a man, a slave, on the ground bleeding from a wound on the head. The overseer and Prastagus were kneeling next to him.

"Dominus, he is dead.”

The overseer returning to the fresh corpse shook his head.

Koen watched as the Dominus, his hand drawing down across his face, paced.

"He was next to me when it happened. I know how he died, slingshot, he was struck by one of those rocks."

Prastagus and Koen exchanged looks, then spoke at the same time.

"Dominus it is not safe out here you must return to the villa."

Marcus nodded and turning towards the villa started to walk. As he started away Koen heard the slight whirling sound, instantly recognised it for the reason of his fellow slave's death.

"Get down!"

His cry enough to elicit a response from all around, as he brought his master to the ground, slave and overseer alike dropped to the ground. A rock the size of a hen's egg hurtled through the same space that Marcus had occupied shortly before. Koen was up and running in the direction it had come from seconds after its passing. He was followed by the field overseer. Prastagus was trying to get Marcus behind the wagon used to transport the bundles of wheat.

As Koen ran he scanned for the attacker, always aware a rock could be launched in his direction at any time. He made the field edge a good 10 feet ahead of the overseer. As he moved he became aware of the whirling sound again but this time located it.

There at the edge of a copse of trees was a smallish man, his sling whirring. He loosed a shot at Koen only to miss. Koen for all his size was fast and his warrior skills let him close on the slinger. One more shot and the slinger broke and ran.

It was too late as Koen crashed into him bringing him down in a jumble of limbs, the smaller man hadn't a chance. Koen soon had him held one arm locked behind him the other hanging at his side, pinned by Koen's bulk. The overseer arriving as Koen stood the slinger up took the hanging arm. Marching him between them they made their way towards the gathering crowd.

Prastagus seeing them with the man turned to the wagon rummaged and was soon heading towards them with a length of stout rope. On meeting them the small man was secured tightly then searched for concealed weapons. The excitement over the overseer shouted to the slaves to get back to work. Marcus, Koen and Prastugus were left, the tied man on his knees, now stripped to the waist.

"Tell me why you tried to kill me?"

Marcus moved to stand in front of the kneeling man as he spoke his voice calm, his face blank.

Koen watched him thinking that it would have been better to have beaten the man before he asked the questions.

"I am a patient man, tell me what is your name, least we can be civil then. I am Marcus Quintillus Braxus but I'm sure you already know that. Given your skill with a sling I would hazard you have spent time with the legion auxilia."

Marcus paused to await an answer, he watched the man closely and so the slight jerk of his head at the last question.

"So you served then, Yes?"

A slight nod was all he got.

"See that wasn't so hard. Which legion, where did you serve? I served with the Thirteenth."

Again the pause to see the reaction,

"I was Primus Pilus for 4 years. I'm sure you know that also. Did your master tell you everything or just enough I wonder."

Marcus turned to Prastagus.

"Have him taken to the punishment barn treat him as you would a runaway slave. I will be along after dinner. Have him watched though." turning back to the man. "I'm sure you have been told I am a weak man who treats his slaves well and never punishes them. I just do not punish my slaves unjustly, you are about to be taken to my villa were I'm sure our next talk will bring responses from you."

Marcus stood as Prastagus shouted over two of the overseers giving them order to escort the prisoner to the villa. He then quickly spoke to a third overseer and headed of following the three men.

Marcus stood watching for a short time, his back to Koen.

"Koen had it not been for you I would likely be dead or near to it, thank you. We will find out who is being this although I already have a suspicion. I wish to return to the villa freshen up then dine. Once this is done we will attend to our guest."

Koen stood his Dominus's last words sent a chill through him; he had never heard his master like this.

They were back in the villa a short time later, Marcus in his quarters Koen told to freshen and eat then return which he did.

Just before dusk he entered Marcus's quarters to find him dressed in Uniform. He was in awe, he knew his master was a powerful man but seeing him like this, he felt the sweat start to run down his back. He was an image of authority and power, a handsome man.

"I am amazed this thing still fits me, let's go see our guest."

He turned lifting a crested helm and marched off, Koen in his wake.

Koen memories of the barn flooded back as he approached it, it only had been a few months but it had changed his life.

He entered behind Marcus, now fully dressed in his Centurion uniform. The prisoner had been secured, naked and fully spread, his feet barely on the ground his body made to lean forward slightly by the way his hands had been secured above and to the front of him.

His back was to the door of the barn but on hearing them enter he tried turning. Marcus stopped directly behind the hanging man, he indicated to Koen to move to the front of the man. As he did the man followed him with his eyes, a look of fear and apprehension on his face. As he was watching Koen, Marcus moved round from the other side.

As Marcus moved into the peripheral vision of the captive, he coughed, watching the man turn his head. His eyes bulging as he took in the uniform of a cohort commander.

"As you see I do not lie, as a Centurion I was taught certain.... skills... I may be a little rusty but I am sure you will tell me what I want to know. I will ask only one question for now. Who sent you to kill me?"

Marcus moved to a table set in front of the prisoner, as he moved he removed his helmet and sword placing them on the table. This done, he turned.

"I will ask again. Who sent you to kill me?"

The man looked at him but remained quiet, he eyes moving between Marcus, and Koen. Marcus took a few steps closing on the captive and stopped.

"Who sent you? I will ask you one more time then I will see what I remember from my training. Koen open that cupboard please, I will require you to bring me the items requested."

As commanded Koen moved to the cupboard opening the double doors inside he found an array of items some he knew some not. His eyes scanned over the various implements of torture a shiver escaped him, which did not go unnoticed by Marcus. Koen stood back letting the prisoner see the cupboard seeing the man blanch as he took in the contents.

"As you can see I am quite versed in methods of information gathering. If you talk I will go kindly, if not we will see how long you last. You have 5 minutes to make up your mind. Koen while we wait can you set the brazier just there and light it." Marcus pointed at a point about 4 feet to the side of the hanging man. Marcus again turned to the prisoner.

"What is your name by the way? We can at least be civil can we not?" The man raised his head looking into Marcus's face. He saw only that Marcus meant what he said. After some time thinking he spoke in whispered words.

"Trajan, my name is Trajan."

Marcus, smiled this may be easier than he had thought it would.

"Well Trajan your time will soon be up, do you have an answer for me, I hope not, it's been so long since I tried out my skills."

Koen stared at his Dominus, he saw the glint in his eyes, the same glint he had the day he was "punished" along with Lucranos. Koen knew his Dominus had certain tastes but had never seen him punish a slave in all his time here, except once. He didn't consider what happened to him as punishment, really. No marks had been left except on his heart. But he would never let Marcus know this, it was easy to be a respectful slave who had to care for your Dominus.

"Times up Trajan, do you have something to tell me? Koen can you bring me the flayer and the four brands. Place the brands in the coals please." Koen turned to the cupboard and found the items; he put the four brands into the fire. Then moved to hand Marcus the flayer, as he did he noticed the discolouration from the blood of its previous victims.

As Marcus ran the flayer thought his hand Koen watched Trajan. He knew Marcus was skilled in the use of the flog, he pitied Trajan for what was about to happen.

"Well?"

Marcus move round to the side of Trajan the flayer playing through his fingers. He waited for an answer. He could see by the look Trajan was giving him he would have to make good on his promise. Drawing back his arm he let fly at the man’s back.

Koen watched his master hit the prisoner again and again, watching the man's face. He saw the pain etched across it, the teeth gritted to prevent any sign of pain. Marcus worked steadily pausing ever so often to ask his question. After 5 minutes the man’s back was criss crossed with bleeding scores and welts. Marcus paused, he was impressed at Trajan's resilience, many men would not have taken the punishment he had given so far.

He moved round Trajan looking him up and down, for, for all his short stature he was powerfully built. Again he asked the question, and still no reply. Moving back round he released the flayer again, this time aiming at the man thighs. The first strike made Trajan scream, Marcus paused to see if he would get his answer, but all he got was a rasping breath that showed Marcus he would need to continue.

Again the flayer raised and fell, each time it landed Trajan yelled or screamed. Marcus worked steadily up and down the man’s thighs. Again after five minutes or so he paused.

"Trajan I can do this all day I am expending little energy at the moment. Shall I continue?"

With a whimpering sob Trajan raised his hung head, looking at Marcus.

"I cannot tell you. He would kill me as surely as you will if I don't speak."

Marcus moved in close to Trajan's side, leaning in to his ear. In a voice that made the prisoner shiver he said.

"I would worry more for how you die, some methods can be quick. some can be…” He breathed heavily on Trajan’s ear. “slow.”

Koen who barely heard what was said shivered, he had never heard his Dominus like this he was seeing a side of him that both fascinated him and scared him. Trajan who had looked up at the comment now looked to the large man to his fore, Koen stood impassive, but as he caught Trajan looking at him, he smiled, the smile feral. Trajan blanched and looked to the ground.

"Tell me who hired you and I will stop, you have proven strong, most would not be able to stand as you have, if you speak I will consider sparing you, the longer you take the less likely that will be."

Marcus had been moving round Trajan as he spoke, as a big cat prowls round a cornered and injured prey. He did admire this man but to attempt to take his life was something he could not leave unanswered. He moved to the brazier and lifted one of the brands, its tip glowing yellow darkening to red and black around half way down the shaft.

Marcus moved toward Trajan, Koen watched in fascination as Marcus moved the brand close to the left side of the hanging man, as it drew close the man tried to pull away, but failed due to his bonds.

"Please, no." he whimpered.

"Tell me then."

"I can't!"

Marcus let the brand touch flesh, the scream that broke the air was deafening. Koen had watched as Marcus touched flesh with the brand, the sickening smell of flesh burning assailing him. Marcus withdrew the brand, moving and placing it in the brazier. Drawing another, he approached Trajan again.

"Please no, I'll talk, I'll talk." his breaths laboured, gasping.

Marcus paused and waited, he stood the brand out to the side slightly.

Trajan's head dropped, his shoulders slumped and he started to talk. He told Marcus who had hired him, he then went on to tell him who had been his target and why. Marcus looked on as Trajan spilled his story, whimpering and gasping as he did.

When he was done Marcus dropped the now quite cool brand and move to him, he lifted the man’s chin with surprising gentleness bring his eyes up to look at them.

"Thank you for that. I will send someone to deal with you."

Turning he gathered his helm and sword and swept round Trajan, Koen followed. He was unsure what would happen next, given the revelations they had just heard. Marcus headed straight to his rooms, pausing only long enough to have a whispered conversation with Prastagus, Koen wondered what fate awaited Trajan.

As they walked to the villa a scream was heard suddenly cut short.

------------------

 

On reaching his suite Marcus stopped and all life seemed to drain from him, his shoulders slumping and his limbs becoming heavy. Removing his helm he held it out to Koen.

"Koen help me undress, I wish to bathe."

Koen took the helm placing it on a table and then helped Marcus unfasten his breastplate and other pieces of armour. Soon Marcus was before him in a red under tunic. The armour was laid neatly out on the table ready to be placed back in storage.

Koen was aware of his master weariness something he had never seen in him. He helped him to the bathing room, removing the tunic as he stood next to the bath.

"Dominus are you well? Is something wrong? Can I assist you?"

Marcus, having slipped into the warm waters and submerged to his shoulder blades, turned looking at him, a tired smile played over his face.

"I am fine Koen; I forgot how much you lose gaining information through torture. I never enjoyed it, I could play the part but I always suffered afterwards. Your concern touches me especially with the information Trajan gave us."

Koen knodded as he slipped into the water to help bath Marcus.

"To think all along you were the target, that Crassus wanted you dead. You humiliated him by killing his men, barehanded. It was a fluke that Trajan nearly killed me, had you not knocked me down I would have been dead, thank you."

Koen could feel the weariness take his Dominus. He felt the limbs he was cleaning grow heavy, soon his master was asleep. He gathered him in his arms and called for assistance. Lucius always nearby, appeared and as Koen lifted Marcus Lucius wrapped a towel round him. Koen made it to the bedroom without incident, gently placing Marcus on the bed, covering him. He moved to the small shared sleeping room off to the side of the main room and sat.

To think that he could have lost his Dominus today all because he was a target. He would kill the man who organised this himself. He stood and started to pace, every time he passed the doorway he looked at Marcus lying on the bed. His heart beating faster each time he did this, he knew Marcus cared for him, he never would have been made house slave if Marcus did not want him, sexually, but he now sensed something more. Did Marcus love him. He knew he loved Marcus, but could a slave actually be with his Master in that way, he was there to obey every whim of his Dominus. He gladly would.

He stopped at the door his gaze again on Marcus, he watched as he became restless, he watched as Marcus started to toss and turn, his arms starting to flail. Koen moved to the bedside as he got closer he heard the voice, it was pleading but the words were difficult to catch.

"Dominus, Dominus, wake up, Dominus."

Koen gently shook the thrashing man to wake him, in the process he was struck by the flailing man.

"Why, would you kill him, why.........Koen why do you touch me so."

Koen shot back at this comment, he then realised that Marcus had stopped moving and was looking at him.

"Koen what happened?"

"Dominus, you fell asleep in the bath. I carried you to bed and watched you. You had a dream, an evil one. I tried to rouse you."

"Oh....I dreamt......I dreamt of your death at the hands of Trajan."

With this Marcus sat up and made to leave the bed, Koen gently stopped him mindful of his position.

"Dominus you need rest. Try to sleep I will wake you for supper. I will have cook prepare something light. Some roast songbirds, maybe?"

Marcus didn't know what to think, he was tired and needed rest, the day had been mentally exhausting, and the dream; why did he feel so sick in his stomach. It had been a dream, he had them before but only a few had left them like this. He was glad Koen had taken over, that he had been there during the dream, Gracchus may have thought him weak, Lucius would have gossiped, he knew Koen would hold his peace.

As he settled back down his thoughts ran to what Trajan had told him. Koen had been the target, because his nemesis knew that hurting Koen in some way hurt him. The question he now had is how Crassus know about how he felt… Someone had to have spoken…

He thought back to that day in the slave market he had been open about how he felt but only when he thought he was alone. Who had seen them? Who had spoken of it to Lucius Crassus, he would need to find out, but first he had to rest. Gracchus would be returning tomorrow and plans could be made to seek revenge.

He settled back and soon was asleep; dreams this time were of a different nature. But equally confusing.

Chapter nine is in edit and should be up soon all being well

If you like my tale please hit like and leave a review.

Copyright © 2013 Kiltie69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

To me, historical fiction becomes fun to read when I want to know more about the characters. This is the case for me with Marcus and Koen. As I see more of each, I get the sense that they have more to share.

 

Enjoying the pacing and plot, having a great time, and looking forward to more!

Link to comment
On 04/29/2013 12:18 PM, Randomness said:
To me, historical fiction becomes fun to read when I want to know more about the characters. This is the case for me with Marcus and Koen. As I see more of each, I get the sense that they have more to share.

 

Enjoying the pacing and plot, having a great time, and looking forward to more!

Glad your enjoying it Randomness :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..