Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 5,585 Words
  • 8,300 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Are You Christian - 1. Chapter 1

There I was on my way to hell. I didn’t know where Landfalls North Carolina was. I couldn’t locate the town on a map and now my family and I were well on our way. Our way to hell. The move was strange. After my father got shot in Baltimore for losing a case, my mom thought it best to leave the big city life to the more lucky people of the world and move us into the country close to where she grew up. I was losing everything I knew. I looked over at my little sister, still a baby. She could start now and this new world will be the only world she’d know. She was lucky. She didn’t have to change like I knew I would. My other sister Stacey wasn’t talking to my mother or father. She hadn’t ever since they announced this move two weeks ago. Here we were though moving.
 
“Stacey, Christian, please stop acting like you hate me.” Mom said as she put her hand on my dad’s shoulder then turned around to look at us. “You need to know that this is for the best.”
 
“Kids.” Dad said in an unreadable tone. “Enough is enough; we’re moving we’re a few minutes away from the house and I want to see smiles on those faces or you’ll start this new experience grounded.”
 
“Yeah?” Stacey asked, “What exactly would actually make us fear that?”
 
“Really!” I added, “Ground us! It isn’t like there would be stuff to do anyway.”
 
“Fine!” My father snapped, “You two are grounded indefinitely.”
 
Honey, please.” Mom countered softly. “We need to let them express themselves so we can move on.”
 
“Ok, dear.” Dad sighed giving in like he always did with her. “You’re the psychologist.”
 
“Honey, sarcasm.” She warned, shaking her short red hair then turned back around. “This family needs a complete reconstruction.”
 
“Is this the address?” Dad asked slowing down so that mom could read off the address.
 
“I believe it is.” She said and dad turned into the driveway. “This is more beautiful than I imagined.”
 
“Where are all the other houses and stores?” Stacey asked while unbuckling her seatbelt.
 
“Stacey, this is what’s called the country.” I answered and she rolled her eyes.
 
“This is gonna suck.” She mumbled getting out of the minivan. After mom grabbed Grace we all moved to the front of the van to look at the house. It was small compared to an apartment building. It was a two story house with a garage. It was white with blue shudders and was decorated in flowers. We also actually had a lawn and a forest behind our hose. There was a small in-ground swimming pool and a basketball court in the back. Like I needed either of those. I couldn’t swim nor did I want to play basketball. I was a painter; the top artist of my class. I also played the piano. I didn’t look like the typical artsy type though. I wouldn’t dare ever look like that where we used to live.
 
“It’s so hot down here.” I sighed taking off my baggy jacket. “My clothes aren’t right for the weather down here.”
 
“Well, once we get unpacked we can go shopping.” Mom said smiling and nudged me towards the house.
 
“We better have air conditioning.” Stacey said as we walked to the door and waited until dad unlocked it. The inside was nice, clean, and smelled of various cleaning liquids.
 
“This place looks like a television show set.” I mused, looking around.
 
“Do you like it?” Mom asked hopefully.
 
“No.” I answered, and then walked up the stairs to put my bag down in a room that I claimed. Stacey walked past me to what was to be her room. There were only two rooms upstairs other than a bathroom that obviously I and my sister were to be sharing. There were also two bedrooms as well as two bathrooms downstairs for Grace and my parents. Everything was fully furbished since we couldn’t take our furniture with us. My room was blue and it had baseball wallpaper on the walls and I grimaced.
 
“Oh no!” I heard Stacey shriek which made me run to her. I found her in her room turning around it. “No, no, no!”
 
“Oh holy shi….” I started.
 
“Watch it mister.” Mom chided then walked past me to see what was wrong with Stacey. “What’s wrong honey?”
 
“My little ponies.” She grumbled. “On my walls!”
 
“We can obviously change that.” Dad said shaking his head. “Just calm down.”
 
“You don’t tell me to calm down.” Stacey snapped shaking her head. “I am seventeen years old I shouldn’t have to move at that age. I had a life and not to mention a college picked out before this, but now all that’s ruined.”
 
“Stacey!” Mom yelled, “That is quite enough.”
 
“What was that?” Dad asked causing all of us to stop. “I heard something.”
 
“Well what was it dear?” Mom asked as she adjusted Grace in her arms.
 
“It sounded like a few music notes.” Dad answered and then we heard it again.
 
“It’s the doorbell.” I said and I looked out the window to see another car parked out front. Then Dad ushered us all down the stairs to the front door then he put on this overly fake smile before opening it.
 
“Hello y’all welcome to our town.” The mother of the family greeted then shoved a fruit basket practically into my sister’s face which she dodged before accepting it.
 
“Well thank you.” My sister muttered then set the basket aside.
 
“Y’all?” I asked then felt my father’s hand slam down on my shoulder then he squeezed slightly. “Y’all come on in and make yourselves cozy.”
 
“Oh no, we really have to get going.” She declined politely. “I have to take the kids school shopping, school starts tomorrow you know.”
 
“Tomorrow?” My sister and I asked at the same time.
 
“Why, yes.” She answered smiling. “Orientation was last night.”
 
“Miss…” My mother started then trailed off.
 
“Oh call me Gloria we’re practically neighbors now.” Gloria stated. The woman always smiled.
 
“Oh, Gloria.” My mother said as politely as I had ever heard her speak. “Could you point me in the direction of the town so we could also get prepared for school?”
 
“Sure.” She answered immediately. “You go down this road; it’s the main road anywhere. Then you come to train tracks and you cross them then you’re in town.”
 
“So you have a subway?” Stacey asked and that’s the first time Gloria stopped smiling.
 
“Oh no dear.” She answered lightly. “A train.”
 
“For passengers?” She asked and I was about to start laughing.
 
“Not unless you’re a hobo.” Gloria answered raising an eyebrow. I could tell my sister was about to ask what a hobo was and I think my mother did too and decided to save her.
 
“Well stop back in and see us, kids let’s go shopping.” Mom ordered offering Gloria another quick smile before she handed Grace over to dad and she grabbed her purse and stepped outside. Gloria waved as she was backing out of the driveway and I was thankful they all left. The two young kids that looked to be not much older than seven were always staring at us like we were freaks on display. Gloria and my mother differed completely. My mom was in a boring green business suit and Gloria was in a bright yellow dress and white shoes. My mom’s hair was done up in a tight bun with no hair out of place and Gloria’s hair was blowing in the breeze. She had to keep pushing it out of her face. She was a younger woman and she seemed nice enough. Her husband wasn’t there and my mother took notice to that right away.
 
“You don’t know what a hobo is, do you Stacey?” I asked as mom drove down the road.
 
“Shut up!” Stacey snapped from the front seat. “I do too.”
 
“Oh and the train takes passengers?” I continued sarcastically.
 
“Mom.” Stacey hissed and mom gave me a warning glare.
 
“Ok, I’m finished.” I said then turned to look out the windows until the passing trees made me car sick.
 
“You know, I bet her husband is nonexistent.” Mom said thoughtfully. “That poor dear didn’t look old enough to have kids that old either.”
 
“Mom, stop.” Stacey ordered. “You always analyze everybody.”
 
“It’s my job, honey.” Mom countered authoritatively.
 
“Your job is to analyze the people who actually want to be analyzed.” Stacey said crossing her arms. “She didn’t ask to be judged.”
 
“You’re one to talk.” I said then the next thing I knew we were going over the tracks. The town was actually buzzing.
 
“I don’t see anything Prada,” Stacey sighed shaking her head. “Or Abercrombie for that matter.”
 
“Oh, there’s a Wal-Mart.” I pointed out.
 
“No!” Stacey groaned. “Mom what are you doing stopping here?”
 
“We’re here to buy school supplies and groceries,” Mom answered getting out of the van.
 
“I’m sure there are other places that have school supplies.” Stacey argued stepping out with me to follow mom. We were greeted at the entrance and I thought that Stacey was going to stay outside when an old man walked past her, looking her over, then she hurried through the quickly closing automatic door. I thought I wasn’t going to fit in here, but I knew my sister wasn’t. We picked out notebooks and pens and everything we thought we’d need then Mom made us double what we had before we followed her and suffered through her grocery shopping. She was a health freak so we ended up skipping most of the aisles.
 
“They just don’t have no where near the selection you’d find in Baltimore, do they?” My mom asked as she looked around. “I was going to cook a lobster tonight, but it doesn’t look like that’ll be happening.”
 
“Great.” I sighed. “I was looking forward to lobster.”
 
“We’ll find some.” Mom encouraged as we used one of those self-service check outs and left Wal-Mart. I heard Stacey breathe a sigh of relief when we pulled out and started looking for a place to go shopping.
 
“Oh, look.” Stacey said ecstatically. “A mall!”
 
“See? I told you not to worry.” Mom said as we parked the car and went in. “We can’t shop long because we have groceries.”
 
“Why don’t you go home and come back?” Stacey asked and my mom smiled.
 
“Sure, just be careful.” Mom answered handing us her credit cards. “We’re on a budget for a little while until your father and I find suitable jobs.”
 
“Ok.” Stacey shrugged. “Come on, Chris.”
 
“What if the natives attack?” I asked sarcastically. Stacey laughed then we were left as Mom pulled out of the parking lot and started home. I looked over at Stacey who turned to look at me and smile.
 
“Let’s go shopping little brother.” She said, waving the credit card in my face, then took off walking. We entered the mall and it wasn’t like any mall I had seen before. There was a small ancient arcade that I would have no use for. “Where are the stores?”
 
“There’s a book store,” I answered, pointing, “a pet shop, and I guess that’s the food court.”
 
“That, dear, is a vender. Food courts have restaurants, not a pop corn machine.” Stacey corrected while shaking her head.
 
“I don’t see any boys, either.”
 
“Well let’s go.” I said and we both turned and walked out of the mall. “We have to hurry.”
 
“I don’t see any cabs.” Stacey said stopping me.
 
“No cabs.” I sighed, sitting down on a bench. “What kind of place is this?”
 
“It’s the shittiest place I’ve ever been to.” Stacey answered sitting down beside me. She put Mom’s credit card into her back pocket and leaned up against me. “At least you have to live through this with me.”
 
“Oh yeah. A real treat there.” I said, and she elbowed me in the side.
 
“Where’s your mom?” Gloria asked as she walked up to us. She had two little boys with her.
 
“Oh she went home because she had groceries to put away. We thought that stores were in here, so we told her to leave us and come back.” I answered and she laughed slightly.
 
"No the clothing stores are on the other side of town.” Gloria countered smiling. “Here, I’ll take you.”
 
“Can we trust you?” I asked looking her over.
 
“Well yes dear.” She answered shaking her head. “If not me, then who?”
 
“I guess no one.” I answered and we followed her out to her car. It was a tight squeeze with me in the back with her two children and Stacey riding in the passenger’s seat with her.
 
“Where do you want to shop?” She asked then laughed at her own question. “Name a few places and we’ll see if we have those here.”
 
“Abercrombie?” Stacey asked and Gloria nodded. “Yes, there is a God!”
 
“Of course there is a God, dear.” Gloria said in an cheerfully then parked the car a few stores away from the Mall. “Here we are.”
 
Stacey and I got out of the car and entered the store with Gloria and her two children following behind her. They were touching things and she had to keep grabbing their hands and placing them firmly to their sides. I didn’t really like Abercrombie I normally just wore what I found when I scanned stores, but I was stuck here with Stacey and decided that my clothes that I wore in Baltimore just wouldn’t fit in here. Stacey picked out a lot for herself and for me to try and after we got all that we wanted Stacey paid for it and we left the store with Gloria who returned us to the mall. Mom was there already and she frowned when we got out of the car and got our clothes out of the trunk.
 
“I was worried sick.” Mom stated flatly. “I checked the four stores that were in there and when I didn’t find either of you I almost called the cops.”
 
“It’s ok mom.” Stacey offered, “Gloria took us to Abercrombie.”
 
“Ok, but why didn’t you call me?” Mom asked shaking her head. “I thought I taught you not to get into cars with strangers years ago.”
 
“Mom, we have no service here.” Stacey said then showed mom her cell phone.
 
“Do you have any service with your phone Christian?” Mom asked impatiently.
 
“No. I lost signal once we got into this town.” I answered her and I knew we were in for a lecture when we got home. Mom had trust issues.
 
“Gloria thank you for your generosity.” Mom said. Gloria nodded and smiled then ushered her kids into the mall. Once we were home and all set we did get that lecture. Then we suffered through sandwiches for dinner. Our phones were hooked up later in the day and Mom took the opportunity to look for work. She didn’t have that hard of a time finding a job as a psychologist. There were many openings for her to choose from. Dad was still recuperating from being shot by his client after he lost. Grace just has started eating stuff other than being on the bottle before we moved. Stacey slept in the living room after protesting her room and how it looked last night. I did as well and Dad was going to get the rooms repainted while we were in school tomorrow. School tomorrow was going to suck. We didn’t have any time to adjust. Things were too different down here. I looked too different from this place. My hair was dark and shaggy. I had both of my ears pierced and the only thing that kept my body in shape was working out for Dressage and Show Jumping. Mom wanted both me and Stacey to be involved with equestrian training and we did it ever since we were both small. Our school had a competitive program and other than art and piano that’s what else I was into.
 
“Christian.” Mom said and I groaned. It couldn’t be morning already I thought. I didn’t sleep all that well last night. “Time for you to get ready for school.”
 
“Ok.” I sighed, sitting up in the bed. She left me to get ready and as I was walking to the bathroom Stacey jetted past me and closed the door in my face. “Stacey!”
 
“You lost little brother.” Stacey countered lightly then I heard the shower start. I then grabbed my clothes frowning and walked downstairs in my boxer shorts to the other bathroom to find that it was in use as well.
 
“This is not going to work.” I hissed sitting down on the couch in the living room. A half an hour later I heard Stacey come out of the bathroom and I looked at the clock on the wall and saw that I only had a few minutes. “Damn it!” When I was halfway through my shower Mom pounded on the door and told me that I had only a few minutes left until we had to leave in order to be at school to meet the principal for a short orientation and tour of the school.
 
“Do you know where the school is?” I asked as Mom stopped at a stop sign and looked down at a map.
 
“No.” She answered shaking her head. “I don’t know and I’m sorry.” Then once we came to a small store Mom got out and walked into it. We were already late for school by more than fifteen minutes.
 
“She’s lost, we’ll go in and be ready for a class right in the middle of it.” Stacey said growing frustrated. “So on top of being new we’ll be the center of attention because we’re late, too.”
 
“What’s the difference?” I asked tiredly.
 
“That’s two reasons for everyone to look at us!” Stacey answered shaking her head. “We might as well skip school.”
 
“Ok.” Mom said getting into the car. “I know where it is now.” With that she drove a few yards to a road then turned left and parked the car in front of a long two story building with Landfalls High School on a sign in the front.
 
“It’s small.” I said looking if over as Mom rushed us into the building.
 
“It’s clean.” Stacey said smiling slightly. “And not once did I see any graffiti.”
 
“That’s a step up in the right direction now isn’t it kids?” Mom asked as we stood in the doorway. “Now, kids, I have to go or I’ll be late for work.”
 
“You’re leaving?” I asked, unsure of myself.
 
“Yes.” She said shrugging. “It’s high school, not prison go find the principal’s office.”
 
“Ok.” Stacey said and waved mom off. When Mom walked through the doors Stacey turned to me and smiled. “Being scared is less embarrassing than having your mommy here in school taking a tour with you.”
 
“Yeah.” I agreed shrugging.
 
“Are you Christian?” Someone asked, making Stacey and I turn to look at who it was.
 
“Yes, I am.” I answered and the boy nodded
 
“And are you Stacey?” He asked my sister, who nodded. “Follow me to the office then.” We walked with him, and I noticed he looked to be about my age. He had short black hair spiked up stylishly and he was slightly taller than me. He stopped us right outside the office. “Here you go.”
 
“Thanks.” I offered quickly then knocked on the door. I heard someone say ‘come in’ so Stacey and I entered, leaving the boy.
 
“Ah, Stacey and Christian Edwards! I’ve been expecting you.” He greeted, “Take a seat so we can get you started.”
 
“Ok.” Stacey offered smiling as she sat down. She was wearing a skirt and she smoothed out her clothes when she sat. I just slumped down in the chair.
 
“Christian and Stacey, I’m not sure you’re aware of our dress code policies.” He said looking us both over.
 
“Mr. Lambert, right?” I asked and he nodded. “What’s wrong with what I’m wearing?”
 
“Male piercings aren’t permitted.” He answered pointing to my ears. “You can remove those now if you like.”
 
“I am not removing them.” I countered looking at him. He frowned and leaned back in his chair.
 
“You’ll get into a lot of trouble if you can’t follow rules, Mr. Edwards.” He warned then looked over at Stacey. “Skirts cannot be that short, and I don’t want to see your stomach, Ms. Edwards.”
 
“Well don’t look.” She said, pulling down her shirt. “I have a nice stomach.”
 
“You may not be accustomed to our policies here, but you’ll have to change some things if you want to continue coming here.” He lectured standing and walking to the door. “Or you can always try home schooling.”
 
“Well I’m sure our education wouldn’t suffer much.” Stacey hissed standing before she walked out. I got up and Mr. Lambert coughed, stopping me.
 
“Earrings, take them out.” He ordered, “Try to keep that hair managed too.”
 
“At least I have hair.” I countered looking up at his balding head before I walked out to join Stacey who was waiting with a woman who was to give us our tour. I wasn’t going to take my earrings out until she looked at them and whipped out a slip of paper. “I’m taking them out.”
 
“You shouldn’t have to.” Stacey said crossing her arms. “It isn’t like this is some private school and stuff.”
 
“This school pretty much slams equality, doesn’t it?” I concluded as we sat there and talked.
 
“Are you two finished belittling this school?” A woman asked, she was short, old, and looked like she was two minutes away from death. The only thing that looked stern about her was her facial expression. “So can we can start the tour?”
 
“Sure.” I answered and she took off walking. She didn’t say much she just let us walk around.
 
“Do you have a ballet program?” Stacey asked curiously.
 
“No.” She answered shortly.
 
“Gymnastics?” Stacey asked quickly. “You have to have gymnastics.”
 
“We have Cheerleading, Ms. Edwards.” She answered, glancing back at Stacey.
 
“Do you have equestrian?” I asked and Stacey looked at me like I had asked a stupid question.
 
“No.” She answered like she didn’t know what I was talking about.
 
“I could have told you that.” Stacey whispered sighing. “What kind of school is this?”
 
“Obviously learning is top priority here.” I answered.
 
“Or lack thereof.” Stacey added and we both laughed until the woman stopped and turned to look at us. We shut up quickly.
 
“Your snobby attitude will do nothing for you in this place.” She said in a hushed tone. “So I suggest you stop counting your misfortunes and try to get into our many open programs.”
 
“Like what?” I asked and she looked me over.
 
“Drama would fit you perfectly.” She answered then Stacey looked me over.
 
“He doesn’t look like a drama type.” Stacey countered, “Do you have orchestra? He can play piano really well.”
 
“No, we don’t have an orchestra.” She responded then we both stopped. What in the hell were we supposed to do with ourselves? Stacey and I had always done as many things as we could to keep us away from home and the analyzing mind of our mother. Don’t get me wrong we both love our mother, but the woman is also as pushy and wordy as they come. It’s better to be active than to become her lab rats.
 
“Are you finished with the tour?” She asked curiously, turning around.
 
“Yes.” Stacey and I both answered and she pointed us both into the direction of our classes. I waved bye to Stacey as I went up the stairs. I found the door to the classroom she told me and I knocked on it. An older man opened the door, and then got the class’s attention clearing his voice.
 
“Everyone, here is a new student, Christian Edwards.” He announced then let me enter the classroom. I was automatically the center of attention so I looked around and quickly found the only open seat. It was in the front row by the window on the other side of the classroom so I nodded and walked over to it sitting down.
 
“Not so fast Mr. Edwards, tell us a little about yourself.” The teacher announced taking a seat on his desk and waited.
 
“Uhh, I’m from Baltimore, I’m into art, equestrian, and the piano.” I started then I heard some whispering in the back and I turned to see a small group back in the back corner of the class. “And that’s about it.”
 
“Ok then.” He said standing. “Here’s a book we’re on page 240.” Then he went back to teaching. I couldn’t concentrate. Nothing over the top happened and I had expected it to. I thought they’d take one look at me and laugh. I wasn’t unattractive or anything like that. I had no oddities like a sixth finger. I was just different than what they were. My hair was shaggy, and until I changed my wardrobe my clothes were almost grungy. I wasn’t pressed or styled like the people here were, that was for certain. I hoped Stacey was fairing ok, too. I knew this probably wasn’t the worst of all to come. In this small of a school word is probably already all over the school of a couple of out of town kids moving in. When the class ended I stood and immediately left to look for Stacey finding her at the top of the stairs she walked right over to me.
 
“How was it?” I asked quickly and she rolled her eyes.
 
“They whistled at me.” Stacey answered shaking her head. “The dogs.”
 
“Really?!” I hissed growing angry. “Point them out to me, I’ll kick their asses.”
 
“Calm down Chris.” Stacey ordered lightly. “They just liked my outfit.”
 
“Oh really.” I said quickly. “So if that old hag wore that outfit do you think they’d whistle at her?”
 
“So what if I’m good looking.” She said pushing her hair back. Her long slightly curly brown hair and green eyes were appealing. Our hair and eyes matched one another and many thought we were twins since I finally caught up and slightly passed my sister’s height.
 
“Hello.” A girl greeted stepping in front of Stacey. “I’m Brianna.”
 
“Hi, Brianna.” I greeted and looked past her to see Stacey fuming.
 
“Don't you know that you are cute?” She asked looking me over. “All you need is a good hair cut.”
 
“I happen to like his hair like that.” Stacey countered causing Brianna to turn around.
 
“Who asked you?” Brianna asked crossing her arms.
 
“I’m his sister I do think my opinion counts more than a slut that just pops into my conversation with my brother.” Stacey answered, “Now if you don’t mind back off and keep your pants on.”
 
“Well ok.” Brianna said then turned to ignore Stacey. “So what are you doing after school?”
 
“Um, homework?” I answered shrugging. “I may practice the piano a bit.”
 
“You can play an instrument? That is so hot.” Brianna stated stepping closer to me.
 
“Brianna! What the hell do you think you’re doing?” Some guy asked walking up to her. “Stay the fuck away from her, new boy!”
 
“Oh Glenn, I was just meeting the new boy.” Brianna said innocently. “Calm down, baby.”
 
“Let’s go Bri.” Glenn ordered flatly. “If I see you talkin’ to her again I’ll kick your artsy ass.”
 
“Excuse me.” Stacey butted in. “Your little slut of a girlfriend approached Christian, so drag her away and cool her off, but if you touch my brother then you won’t have anything to cool her off with.”
 
“What the hell are you talking about?” Glenn asked, squinting his eyes.
 
“I’m talking about this!” Stacey hissed grabbing his balls and squeezing until his face turned red and his eyes closed tight. Brianna was trying to get the two of them apart. “Understand me now Glenn?”
 
“Yes.” He shrieked in a tight voice. “I’m sorry man.”
 
“Ms. Edwards and Mr. Edwards, in my office, immediately!” Mr. Lambert ordered and we followed him to his office.
 
“I’m sorry.” Stacey apologized, sitting down in the seat she sat in just an hour and a half ago.
 
“I didn’t do anything.” I offered shrugging. “I was just there.”
 
“Getting into trouble on the first day, first part of the day.” He said sternly ignoring us. “If you can get through the rest of the day without getting sent back into this room then I’ll forget about it.”
 
“Fine.” I sighed looking over at Stacey. “Thank you for protecting me, but I really can take care of myself.”
 
“Ok.” She said looking at me smiling slightly. “Are we through?”
 
“Yes.” Mr. Lambert answered and we stood and walked our separate ways to our next class. The buzz about us hadn’t died down and now everyone was talking about how the new girl about ripped Glenn’s balls off. No one gave me a hard time and I wondered why that was. I was expecting as much, but everyone else seemed self-absorbed and unwilling to make a scene. I wasn’t paranoid anymore by the end of the last class and I met Stacey by the door and we were ready to go outside look for the bus that was to take us home.
 
“Have fun today?” I asked walking with her as we both looked around.
 
“Tons, did you?” She responded nudging me with her elbow.
 
“Eh, I could do for a little more.” I responded, “So I’d know if I was going to get into trouble a lot or be left alone.”
 
“Well a good hair cut and you’ll fit right in.” Stacey said rolling her eyes. “You’d sure make Brianna happy.”
 
“Yeah.” I said shaking my head. “You could put some clothes on and make Mr. Lambert happy as well.”
 
“And disappoint the guys in this school?” She asked lightly. “I don’t think so.”
 
“I know you like being the center of attention.” I said as we found the bus and we got on. We found two empty seats and we both took one.
 
“If anyone sits with me then I’m going to move to sit with you.” Stacey said and I nodded.
 
“Same goes for me.” I said then I turned around to look as the people got onto the bus. It was filling up pretty quick and then I saw that boy who took us to the office and he smiled at me briefly, then walked to where my seat was.
 
“Can I sit?” He asked and I moved my bag.
 
“Is this your regular seat or something?” I asked, “I’m going to sit with Stacey.”
 
“Oh, you don’t have to.” He answered quickly. “I just like being friendly.”
 
“Oh.” I said and then glanced at Stacey who just shrugged. I didn’t want to completely blow him off and sit with Stacey. I mean he didn’t just plop his ass down into the seat he asked and I answered by moving my bag for him to sit. He finally did sit though and Stacey ended up sitting with his friend.
 
“I’m Matt.” He greeted extending his hand for me to shake.
 
“Um, Christian.” I responded shaking his hand briefly.
 
“Christian or Chris?” Matt asked looking me over.
 
“Christian.” I answered flatly. “I don’t like when people shorten their names.”
 
“Oh.” Matt said. “In that case you better call me Matthew.”
 
“Yeah.” I shrugged, “I don’t like it, but other people do so I’ll get over it.”
 
“Ok.” Matt said lightly. Then I realized that this year may not be as terribly uninteresting as I thought. Maybe these people aren’t really that different even if they don’t have anything other than jock sports. I’m sure Stacey and I could find other things to get into. If not, then there’s always one another. Friends, that’s another thing to think about. How was I supposed to fit in here?
Copyright © 2011 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I’ve enjoyed this first chapter tremendously :) From the word start you have caught my attention with colorful, descriptive, and engaging characterization. This Edwards family seems quite something. The bickering fits well with the reason they had to move. Hilarity abounds and contrasts well with each family member’s discontent and frustration they individually experience because of this unfortunate move. You’ve succeeded in me being able from the very start to paint mind-pics of each and everyone. The scène describing Christian’s encounter with his baseball bedroom wallpaper and Stacey’s shrieking about her My Little Pony room. The encounter with Gloria and her welcoming fruit basket...The trip to school with their Mother, and the way the two teens are dressed :D (I kind of like Christian's description with saggy hair and “almost” grungy way of dressing with both ears pierced – cool :boy: .)

Just one thing, though: The abundant use of the word THEN and some longwinded sentences, lacking proper punctuation...But I got quickly over that initial lil obstacle :P – I’m a translator and proofreader and cannot help but to notice these “oversights” whenever, and whatever I read.

Oh, and Christian and Matthew’s interaction on the school bus...what a way to end the first chapter – very interesting and almost like some kind of cliffhanger hehehe. Without wasting more of your time, suffice to say that I’m very impressed with this first chapter. It’s not often that an author grabs my attention so quickly...and to think I’m only at page 10 of a whopping 327 :read: Some of my other fave authors stories waiting in my inbox just have to wait for a while :P ; this one needs my attention at this point in time (a new author has arrived on my block :rolleyes:

Well done :great:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Ok, being from the south and a rural area I find these two snobby as we don’t have things they’re used to like cabs here even in the larger cities but honestly I sometimes wish we had some of the conveniences they are used to...though I’d be broke 😂 so I get the cultural shock they’re going through. Moving is hard enough but moving to a place that’s so different than you’re used to has got to be rough. The only gripe of theirs that I agree with is the whole school dress code thing as I get the visible skin issue of Stacy’s outfit but the no earrings/pierced ears on men is just ridiculous as it’s not like girls aren’t allowed to wear earrings. Have a mom that analyzes everyone has got to be tough plus her excuse for judging a stranger because it’s quote her job is just that an excuse to be judgemental. I’m not saying she’s a bad person just a typical one as we all have a habit of judging people even though we should know better. At the start of this story their dad irritated me as I get they were being bratty but the whole you’re grounding if you don’t put on a fake smile thing is ridiculous though I’m sure his attitude was just because they were getting on his nerves.

Edited by NimirRaj
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..