Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 4,549 Words
  • 4,533 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Are You Christian - 19. Chapter 19

Most of the day I was spared by the classes I had. In English I ignored Matt, it was usually Jonathon who started the conversations in there anyway. I was also surprised that I had missed a quiz on the book we were all supposed to be reading and listening to. The last two days, I wondered just how much I missed, I didn’t think it would be a lot in the slow moving town, but I knew I wouldn’t be able to make up the quiz. Matt didn’t want to talk to me anyway, he had opened the book as soon as he sat down and pretended to read it until the tape was started. We were starting the last two chapters and would be having the test over it by Monday. Jonathon would still be suspended, but he probably wouldn’t have listened to the tape if he was here. English was something that was wasted on him, and me especially since we were having the book read to us by a nasally woman who breathed after every sentence. It still seemed dumb to sit through it, instead of reading it for ourselves like we did in Baltimore.

The real thing I feared about my day would be at Lunch, it would be almost half an hour sitting at a table full of people that I didn’t know all that well. Lacey would be there though, and I was hoping to give most of my attention to her, even if I didn’t want to do that. It would only give her something to read into later, that maybe I really did like her a lot more than I had been letting on while Jonathon was here. Maybe I was giving her too much credit though, she seemed like the girl that would get over being ignored and move on to the next guy. With her outward beauty and overwhelming personality there probably was never a shortage of guys that would date her, I hated that she had wasted time on me, but today I would need her.

When I arrived at lunch everyone else was already there, my heart sank when I saw that Gavin had taken my usual seat, a seat away from Matt. The only open seats were directly across from Matt or right next to him. When Gavin saw me enter, I shot him a glare, he only shrugged and smiled the crooked smile I came to know from him. It meant that he wasn’t thinking anything good, and was probably hoping for more drama between Matt, Jonathon, and I since it seemed boring to him if something didn’t happen. I was thinking the other day when I saw the recognition on his face he might be different. Accepting of what had happened between Matt and I. He probably was accepting, but that still didn’t mean he couldn’t have his fun too.

I picked the seat across from Matt, knowing I wouldn’t be able to feel comfortable with him so close to me. Matt’s black eye, I hadn’t really looked at it until I sat down. It was a dark purple, swollen and I knew that Jonathon wasn’t sparing Matt at all with the punch that he had thrown, it looked painful, far more painful than mine had looked over the last few days. Jonathon was taller, and more muscular than Matt though, his punches would be worse, and I almost felt sorry for Matt, knowing I was what caused the friction between the two of them.

“Hi, Christian,” Lacey greeted and I smiled, turning to give her my attention as I had planned.

“Wow, you match Matt,” she said, “I just noticed.”

“Yeah,” I grunted not wanting to talk about it, I was hoping she’d get bored with the subject and start talking about something else. Like me taking her to prom, I would promise her something if she did her part, even if she wasn’t aware of any of it.

“So what happened?” Lacey asked her eyes darting between Matt and I, then Jonathon’s empty seat. “I mean you missed a few days, your sister too, did someone die?”

“No,” I answered feeling slightly relieved, but knew she would just ask me something else. “Stacey has a stomach flu, I think. I was taking some time off, ditching.”

“Over the eye?” She asked, “Jonathon said you fell.” I heard Gavin choke over his chocolate milk, overhearing the conversation. She shot him a look, but didn’t seem to connect the two.

“Yeah, I didn’t want people staring at it,” I answered glaring at Gavin.

“It’s not so bad,” she said examining it with her finger again like she had this morning. I let her trace her finger around my eye, but I jerked my head away when she started going lower, towards my lips. I hadn’t expected her to push the envelope here in the middle of the cafeteria, but she was flirtatious normally.

“How did it happen again?” Kate asked eyeing the two of us, smiling. I didn’t want to talk to her either, knowing she would talk to Matt, but I thought it wasn’t fair, since out of all of them she had been the most welcoming, after Jonathon.

“I fell over the end of a bleacher at the park,” I explained, I hit my face against the edge of one.”

“Do you know what was wrong with Jonathon then?” She asked and I noticed that she looped her elbow with Matt’s scooting slightly closer to him. “I mean I’ve never seen him so angry, especially with Matt.”

“You’d probably have to ask Matt,” I stammered, as carefully as I could manage, I didn’t want to sound as nervous as I felt. Matt glared at me though, I figured he had told her a story behind what happened already, but the look told me he didn’t yet. I wanted him to just tell her the truth, I had to bite my lower lip to keep from telling her myself. She still looked like she expected one of us to explain things to her.

“I know what happened,” Gavin stated leaning back in his chair, placing his arm on the back of the open seat. I tried to kick him under the table, but I had connected with Matt, since he jumped and dropped his fork.

“You ass,” he growled scooting back in his chair, Gavin laughing, while Kate and Lacey looked confused by the sudden outburst.

“Sorry,” I mumbled looking down at my tray, “Gavin that was meant for you.”

“So Gavin knows?” Lacey asked and I looked back up, he had stopped laughing and rolled his eyes.

“Finally caught up Lacey?” Gavin asked causing her to elbow him.

“Well it’s just been a soap opera here with the three of them with Christian missing, then Jonathon coming out of nowhere and punching Matt in the face, and then Christian coming back with a swollen lip and black eye.”

“I fell,” I offered again, but she was still looking at Gavin.

“He didn’t fall,” Gavin said, “but I’m not going to tell you what happened, that’s between him and you guys. Well, some of you already know.”

“Matt, didn’t you say you hurt your hand at the park?” Lacey asked and Matt removed his wrapped hand from the table, placing it in his lap. I hadn’t really noticed his hand, since I had been staring at his deeply bruised eye.

“No Lacey, he fell walking to my house,” Kate explained, but eyed Matt after he hid his hand from view.

“It’s not what he told me,” Lacey countered crossing her arms, I noticed she pushed her boobs up with them and I wondered if that was an ingrained habit that she had picked up over the years. She was all about having the attention, but my heart was racing with the conversation taking a turn I didn’t want it to. Matt was looking across from me, hoping I would say something to save the situation, but I wasn’t about to help him, he had told two lies, and I knew from experiences with Stacey and definitely my Mother that you didn’t lie to girls. They remember them word for word, and will not let you live it down until they get to the truth.

“So what did happen to your hand?” Kate asked, her left eyebrow cocked, it looked like a face that she used on Matt a lot. An expression that would get him talking if it was something less important than the lie he found himself in the middle of now.

“I did hurt my hand at the park, I wanted some weed,” Matt lied, it caused Kate to gasp and rip her arm away from him. She didn’t look at him for a few seconds, but I stared openly at him, he didn’t return that either. He was looking at Gavin with a vicious glare and I wondered if the groups of friends would ever really recover from this.

“You said you wouldn’t try that stuff anymore,” Kate hissed finally turning to look at Matt. He turned his attention to her reaching out with his sore hand for hers, but she kept moving it away from his grasp.

“It was the first try since I promised, I swear,” he offered and Gavin snickered earning another elbow from Lacey, which he didn’t appreciate.

“Stop making fun of things that are important Gavin,” Lacey snapped crossing her arms again. “I don’t think you can take anything seriously.”

“I know that Matt is still a liar,” Gavin said turning the table’s attention back to him. I noticed that he wasn’t going to stop the game until he got what he wanted. A confession from me or Matt about what really happened. The girls were the only two that didn’t know, but for some reason I felt they were the two I didn’t want knowing the most now. I figured Lacey would be the most hurt, that I had possibly led her on since I got here. Just to keep a secret from her. I wondered how Kate would feel though, after learning that she had a gay cousin. It would be safe for her to know, but not now. Not after Matt had been the person to cause all the hitting and the fighting between the three of us.

“Gavin it is none of your damn business,” I said finally breaking my silence. “It’s none of your business really, its between Matt and Jonathon now.”

“And you,” Gavin added and I thought about trying to kick him under the table again, but I would feel bad connecting with anyone else. So I picked up my floppy, soggy piece of pizza I hadn’t touched and when it connected with his face I smiled. Lacey let out a small scream, but then burst into a fit of laughter after the pizza slowly started sliding down Gavin’s face. She clapped her hands, applauding me.

“I had to do it,” I said, when the pizza fell into the tray, I crossed my arms when he kept glaring at me. I had to look away to keep from laughing. He only picked up his half eaten piece of pizza and tried to smack me in the face with it, but I ducked and it landed on the back of the girl that was seated behind me.

“Oh my god!” She gasped when she realized what was clinging to her back.

“Oh shit,” Gavin hissed as he stood and started to walk in her direction. “Amy I am so sorry, I was trying to hit the idiot sitting behind you.”

“But you missed you retard!” She countered trying to look at the damage done to her pink shirt. She ended up looking like a dog trying to catch its’ tail, which caused Lacey to laugh, apparently Amy was one of her rivals.

“I’ll give you the money to get it dry cleaned or something,” Gavin offered fishing out his wallet as one of her friends handed her a spare shirt from her backpack, shooting a nasty glare at Gavin as well. Gavin turned to give me another angry look, but I only shrugged turning back to the table.

I should’ve kept my eyes on him though, the next thing I knew a cold liquid had been poured over my head. It caused me to shudder and stand, sending the milk splashing all over everyone at our table. Lacey roared, cussing Gavin, taking her can of lemonade and splashing it over the front of his shirt. Matt only stood and started walking backwards as Kate went to hide under the table to keep out of danger. Lacey didn’t stop at her lemonade, when the can was empty she picked up my chocolate milk, Gavin cussed and started running, but was cut off by a line of teachers, already eyeing people, to keep them from adding to the small food fight.

Lacey, Gavin, and I were escorted to the Principal’s office after we stopped dripping on the floor. My hair and face had already started feeling sticky as my shirt clung to my chest and stomach. Lacey had gotten more of the milk and Lemonade on herself, which made her bright orange bra stand out through the wet fabric, she didn’t seem concerned about that either.

Principal Lambert sat across from us, his desk littered with papers. He seemed unorganized, but he only twiddled his thumbs, knowing exactly why we were there, sitting in his office. I thought he was just waiting for us to feel nervous, he would be waiting for awhile, I didn’t feel the least bit sorry for what I had done, Gavin only smirked when I looked at him and Lacey had finally pulled her shirt away from her chest, hiding her bra color. She wasn’t going to try and flirt her way out of her punishment, I was surprised she didn’t have that in her.

“Well I know a food fight is what you’re in for,” he finally stated and I felt like rolling my eyes. The last time I was in his office he was wondering just how much of a trouble maker I really was. Now the proof is in front of him and I wondered if I had developed a reputation yet. “What I don’t know though, is how it started?” Gavin and Lacey both turned to me, which caused Lambert’s eyes to narrow on me as well. I couldn’t think of a way to explain myself, since I had started the fight, but it had achieved the goal I had wanted it to. The secret was still kept, although I didn’t know how long that will last now. Matt still had to deal with Kate.

“I threw a piece of pizza at Gavin and it hit him in the face,” I explained and Lambert looked at Gavin, the dried pizza sauce still on his face mixed with my chocolate milk Lacey had splashed on him.

“I see that,” Principal Lambert stated still absently twiddling his thumbs, but his face had become more strained with anger. He already knew what our punishment is going to be, he was hoping we would be crying or squirming.

“Then Gavin threw his piece at Christian, but he ducked and it Amy Panner,” Lacey explained trying to fight back a smile when I watched her. She failed and had to look down at her hands, Gavin rolled his eyes letting out a long sigh.

“Then Gavin poured Amy’s milk on me,” I added, “I think it was her milk anyway.”

“It was,” Gavin confirmed, “what’s our punishment?”

“Please let it be detention,” Lacey stammered leaning forward, and I noticed that her shirt was weighed down by the wet milk, exposing the top of her orange bra and cleavage. I felt the urge to pull her shirt up, since she didn’t seem to notice, but I kept my hand to myself. Maybe her boobs were powerful weapons and would get us out of the worst punishments he had in mind. He dismissed her completely though and looked down at three pieces of paper that he had filled out.

“These are your suspension forms,” he said, “you are all suspended from school Monday,” he explained and Lacey let out a sigh leaning back finally noticing her shirt, she pulled it back up to her collarbones. “I also expect you all to write complete and formal apologies to the kitchen staff for making a mess of the cafeteria.”

“Fine,” Gavin said, “can we be excused now, I really want to shower in the locker room.”

“Yes, you are excused and try not to get into trouble for your final two classes,” Principal Lambert said his eyes falling on me. I had expected my punishment to be worse, since he seemed to have his eye on me, but he didn’t say anything more as we all stood and walked out of the room. Lacey was laughing, walking between us.

“We’re naughty,” she whispered looping her arm with ours as we walked towards the gym to the locker rooms.

“I don’t have clothes to change into, so I’m just going to ditch,” I said, “call my mom or something.”

“I have extra clothes,” Gavin offered as we got to the gym door. Gavin held them open for Lacey and I and Lacey just waved as she jogged to the girl’s locker rooms on the other side of the gym. The gym was empty, I had expected a class to be taking place in here to add to the bad day I was having, but I’m sure everyone already knew about the mini food fight in the cafeteria anyway.

“So you’re finally being helpful?” I asked as we both started walking again.

“I’m always helpful,” he answered, “in my own way.”

“Yeah, trying to out me and Jonathon is really helpful,” I argued when he held the door to the locker room open for me. I wondered where the manners came from, maybe he just didn’t want to get into anymore trouble, even if the suspension didn’t seem to bother him at all.

“I know that it will be better if it was at least in the open,” Gavin said, “what Matt did to you anyway.”

“Why do you even care?” I asked when he rummaged through his locker for his extra clothes. He fished out a pair of shorts and a shirt for me, then he went back and found his own clothes.

“Sorry you’ll have to free ball,” he commented and I didn’t care as long as I wasn’t sticky anymore.

“You didn’t answer my question,” I said when he started to ignore me and started the water to his shower. It was an open shower and I hesitated, not wanting to be naked in front of him. I wasn’t used to these types of things, like he was being part of the football team. There were only a handful of people that had seen me naked. Matt being one of them, and I regretted that.

“It will tear us apart,” he answered stepping into the shower as the steam started to rise. I watched him as he washed the milk out of his hair. He had brought shampoo and body wash with him. I started stripping when his back was to me and I didn’t want to look at his body, it was tan from head to toe. I couldn’t help wonder where he tanned naked and his body was well developed, not as defined as Jonathon’s muscles, but close. There was also a dusting of black hair on his stomach. I didn’t allow my eyes to go lower, I was already jealous of his tan, but I closed my eyes and started the water. It was cold when I first stepped into the spray, causing me to sigh and dance around until it became hot.

“Why does it matter that everyone know?” I asked hating that he was afraid it will break up the group of friends.

“Matt and Jonathon will not talk it out unless you and Kate force them to,” Gavin explained, handing me the shampoo when he started rinsing. I took it, it smelled sweeter, more like flowers, than what I had expected from him. Then I looked down and saw that it was Herbal Essence. The same stuff that Stacey used.

“We already know how Matt feels about it all,” I explained, “he pretty much answered that when he punched me in the face.”

“You know it surprised the hell out of me when I realized Jonathon was a fag,” Gavin stated and I shot him a glare. He only rolled his eyes and glanced down my body, making me turn my back to him. “Sorry, I don’t mean fag in a bad way, I’ll say gay from now on.”

“Thanks,” I mumbled glancing back at him still not wanting to have this talk with him. “What makes you think Jonathon will do what I say?”

“Because he cared enough about you to lay Matt out in the middle of the cafeteria,” Gavin answered smiling. “Knowing he would have to go home and deal with his smothering father and overly emotional mother.”

“Right,” I said agreeing with him, but I also knew that Jonathon didn’t think things through sometimes, it was what I liked about him. That he lived without the hang-ups and boundaries that most people had for themselves. That I had for myself, a part that he was trying to break down so that I could live as carelessly as he did.

“Look,” Gavin said turning the water off and grabbing a towel, folded up in a cubby that was marked for football use only. When I turned the water off, feeling clean he threw me a towel and I wrapped it around me. “I don’t give a shit that you and him are gay and together. I’m smart enough to figure out its not a choice, who would choose to give up women for dirty men?”

“Funny,” I grunted, “but you didn’t seem like the accepting type.”

“I’m all talk,” Gavin explained, “I’ve said that before.”

“It has to make Jonathon feel like shit when his friends talk about it being nasty,” I started, but Gavin was already smirking so I started drying myself off preparing to dress as quickly as I could and leave.

“I know where Jonathon went that one summer, so I know the importance of the secret,” Gavin stated in almost a whisper. I wondered how he knew and how everyone else seemed not to. I wondered if secrets really couldn’t be kept here either. “I got him high once and he told me, it wasn’t a pretty sight.”

“You shouldn’t have done that,” I said feeling defensive. I wanted to know what he went through, but I wasn’t going to push him.

“I didn’t expect him to tell me things like that, it was a real shock,” he said as he started getting dressed. “It almost made me give up weed, but I like it too much.”

“You do know it will be worse for Jonathon this time,” I said, “when his father realizes that the conversion treatment didn’t take.”

“Yeah I know,” he said, “but he also needs the only friends he has so.”

“So the secret needs to be told to more people, do you really think Lacey could keep a secret?” I asked not liking the idea of her knowing for that reason too. She just seemed like the sort of person to not shy away from good gossip.

“She knows things about me that she’s kept private,” he shrugged, “she may be a ditzy slut, but she’s a loyal one.”

“I guess,” I shrugged not wanting to laugh, their weird friendship still breaking through even with her not here. I could imagine her calling him a perverted pot head if I was talking to her about this and not Gavin.

“Kate is open minded,” Gavin added when we both fell silent. “The only one to be afraid of is Matt and he’s smart enough to know when to keep his mouth shut, I mean he lied for you and him already.”

“He was covering his own ass,” I countered rolling my eyes, “he was caught in two lies, one more wouldn’t have hurt.”

“Kate’s real dad died from drug abuse,” Gavin responded and my heart skipped into my throat. “So Matt lying about pot was something she wouldn’t take lightly.”

“Wow,” I stammered not knowing what to say. Gavin only walked around me, leaving me in the locker room. I got dressed, the shorts were too loose and the shirt clung to my chest revealing my modest, but slightly developed chest. I slipped my socks and shoes on and left the locker room with a lot on my mind. I knew that Gavin would tell, eventually. He wanted this whole mess to be in the past so we could start working towards a resolution. It was a good idea, but I didn’t know if we could end up all being friends over something like this. It was nice though, knowing that Matt after all his threats and anger would protect Jonathon from his father when it came the secret. That would probably help me convince Jonathon to at least think about talking to Matt again, but I dreaded that conversation already.

After hearing the bell ring, I realized that I had inadvertently skipped a class, but the last class I did have, I shared with Kate and Matt. So I walked out of the gym, the main exit being right beside me so I looked around and stepped outside. I didn’t look back when I started jogging through the front lawn towards the sidewalk that would lead me home, but I knew someone had to be looking out the window in time to see me. Not everyone paid attention in class and windows always seemed to be the most popular place to look before slipping into daydreams.

It wasn’t long until I was out of breath, but in the small town, it would only be just another curve down the road before I could see my house come into view. What I didn’t expect to see though, was both of my parents cars parked in the driveway. They weren’t supposed to be home until school ended for the evening. I knew they couldn’t have been told that I skipped my last two classes and had time to come home. When I reached my door, I was stopped by Jonathon appearing from the side of the house.

“Don’t go in there,” he whispered, with my hand on the door handle ready to turn it.

“Why not?” I asked trying not to be embarrassed that he scared me. He only frowned causing my heart to accelerate. I forced my hand to open the door, but I was shocked at what I found waiting for me in the living room, with Jonathon hovering right behind me I fumbled over him trying to step away from the door, but it was too late.

Copyright © 2011 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 1
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Uh oh. This is either a conversation with Stacey about her being pregnant or considering Jonathan’s presence pushy mom & dad may have invited the preacher over for a little chat. I hope they don’t make things worse.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..