Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 5,815 Words
  • 6,178 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Are You Christian - 2. Chapter 2

The bus ride wasn’t very long. If we really wanted to, Stacey and I could walk the mile or two back home everyday. I didn’t think Stacey ever would be up to doing that. When we got back home I hadn’t put back in my earrings. I didn’t want to get into trouble and they also didn’t fit in with the new life we’re living. I attempted to control the shaggy almost curly head of hair when the principal and secretary threatened to write me up, but I think I failed in the attempt. I was beginning to wish that we were back in Baltimore all over again. In Baltimore I had friends. Our friends were accepting of who we were, and what we looked like.
 
“Hey kids.” Dad greeted, he was feeding Grace in the kitchen while my mother unloaded more groceries.
 
“How was school?” Mom stopped and turned looking us over.
 
“It was ok I guess.” Stacey answered sighing. “Well, no, it sucked.”
 
“They don’t have anything but sports.” I added and that’s when she looked at me more closely.
 
“Not equestrian, not even gymnastics!”
 
“Why aren’t your earrings in?” Mom asked stepping close to me. I saw the look she was giving me. She was analyzing me. “Did you feel the need to become more like your classmates in order to assert yourself?”
 
“Oh here we go.” Stacey groaned and I frowned.
 
“No mom.” I answered shrugging. “It was against the dress code.”
 
“Dress code?” Mom asked, like it was something she had never heard of. “More like an attempt to force the children to conform to a certain idea of what normality is.”
 
“Mom, please.” Stacey muttered crossing her arms. “You’re home, time to stop working.”
 
“Put your earrings back in Christian.” Mom ordered and everyone turned to look at me. I had taken them out of my pocket and looked down at them.
 
“I don’t think I want to.” I countered rolling them around between my fingers. “They don’t go with the clothes.”
 
“Do you want to look for different clothes?” Mom asked taking hold of her purse. “I don’t want you changing to fit other peoples’ appearances, it’s not healthy.”
 
“Mom, I’m old enough to know your views on things. I’m ok with following the rules.” I said sighing slightly. Mom had always been this way. We were playing mind games and social games ever since we were little. Stacey and I are very lucky to have her though. She kept us from falling into unhealthy ways of living. She let us live the way we wanted to.
 
“As long as you’re ok with it,” Mom said looking me over again. “You do look a little cute dressed so differently.”
 
“Mom.” I groaned blushing slightly.
 
“Yeah, cute enough for some girl to throw herself on him,” Stacey added and mom laughed then turned to look at me.
 
“Stacey!” I hissed, “How about those guys in class whistling at you, huh? How about that?”
 
“What?” Dad asked. The laughter and groaning coming from me and Stacey, stopped.
 
“It was nothing Dad.” Stacey comforted walking over and offering him a smile. “It won’t happen again.”
 
“I better not hear of it happening again.” Dad said and I looked to see Stacey smiling. She had every intention of having it happening again.
 
“I’m thinking about getting a haircut.” I announced running a hand through my
 
“No!” Stacey snapped stepping closer to me. “You’re only doing that to fit in! Mom, he’s only doing that to fit in!”
 
“Christian, please honey, don’t go that road.” Mom said crossing her arms. “There are some things as a family that we can change, to make this move easier. Don’t change your hair and clothes if you honestly don’t want to.”
 
“Mom I’m okay.” I countered shifting feet. I wanted to know what kind of theory I just slipped into with her. She smiled slightly and nodded.
 
“Well after I tell you guys something we can go get a haircut.” Mom said frowning, “ I think you all should sit.”
 
“Did grandma die?” Stacey asked taking a seat beside dad. Grace had fallen asleep and I looked at her while I sat down across from them. Then mom cleared her throat, and I turned to see her smiling at me before she became serious again.
 
“No, that old hag is still alive and kicking,” Dad answered and everyone laughed. Grandma Liu didn’t like Dad. She had never liked him, and tried to break up their relationship on numerous occasions. Mom signed her up for a session with her, and it stopped.
 
“Honey, we’ll talk about your hatred of my mother tomorrow.” Mom said smiling and looking down at him. He stopped smiling after that. She straightened up and looked at each of us. She was putting it off. “I have decided that we join the local church.”
 
“What?” I asked looking up at her. “Are you serious?”
 
“You are so against church mom.” Stacey said, “I’m not going to any church.”
 
“Kids please,” Mom calmly sat down at the table. “Listen to my point of view for
a few minutes.”
 
“Mom, no, what happened to not changing!” Stacey argued standing up. Dad raised his bandaged arm and grabbed hold of Stacey’s hand. She sat back down and looked disinterested.
 
“Today my first patient wanted to pray after the session.” Mom started then looked at us, probably waiting for my outburst, but I didn’t want to interrupt her. I had plenty of time to voice my opinion afterwards. “He said that he couldn’t see a person that didn’t belong to a church.”
 
“We don’t belong to a church,” Dad said making me smirk. Dad wasn’t one with an over abundance of common sense.
 
“That’s why I lied. I told them that I was looking for a church to join, and would soon be a member,” Mom said and I heard Stacey sigh.
 
“I thought we weren’t supposed to change to fit other people?” I looked over at her. “I think being a hypocrite is worse than changing.”
 
“Honey, this is for our well-being. You don’t have to listen to what the preacher says or believe it,” Mom replied, shrugging it off like it was something small.
 
“So we’re just going to become the Brady Bunch,” Stacey said shaking her head.
 
“That’s not a good example,” I countered laughing slightly. “They had gay people playing characters, and it was based in the hippy years.”
 
“Whatever,” Stacey said standing up. “You three can go, I will be the outcast.”
 
“Honey please, just for a little while,” Mom pleaded as she rose from the table.
 
“Why can’t you tell them you are part of one?” Stacey asked leaning forward and placed her hands on the table.
 
“Because, I don’t want to keep lying to my patients,” Mom’s stern voice pretty much told us that we were going to do what she wanted, that, or face the grim consequences.
 
“How about that haircut?” I asked interrupting the tension in the kitchen.
 
“No!” Stacey yelled causing Grace to wake and start crying. Dad took her into the other room to get her back to sleep.
 
“Ok then, haircut it is,” Mom said grabbing her purse, “Come on.”
 
With that, we left Stacey fuming in the kitchen. We asked someone in town where a hair stylist was. When we got there, we found out that she only cut women’s hair, and were directed to the barber down the street.
 
“A barber mom?” I asked a little unsure of myself.
 
“I’m pretty sure they’re just people who work strictly on males,” Mom answered confidently. I had never heard of a barber. Everyone I knew went to a stylist. Even the guys who thought they were manly, had a favorite person to go see. I hadn’t really done anything with my hair for a few years now. Stacey did some trimming to keep it a certain length, and that was it.
 
“Mom, he practically sheared me sheep,” I said rubbing my head after we left.
 
“Well honey, it looks good,” She offered looking me over. I grimaced and scratched the loose hair off my scalp.
 
“I said I wanted it short,” I said looking across the car at her. “Can I at least work with this?” Mom looked at me for a moment, and smiled.
 
“Hair grows honey,” She opened the car door and got in.
 
I knew then that it was really short. There were no mirrors in that place so I couldn’t see. He just did his job and told me he was finished. Mom paid and we left. I was never going back there. I would find me a stylist, even if I had to go to a different state.
 
I was dreading Stacey when we got back home. She didn’t want me getting this done and it seemed that everything was stacking up against her here. I was really starting to worry about her and me. What caused me to change my clothes and hairstyle? I would like to think that it was the environmental change. It was muggy and warm here.
 
In Baltimore it was warm, but a drier heat. I didn’t really want to get out of the car. Stacey was sitting in the swing on the front deck, waiting for me.
 
“Well you got it all cut off,” She said as I got out of the car. “Loser!”
 
“Stacey, please,” Mom sighed. She was always poised for anything that she had to deal with. I wondered where she got that from. “Your attitude may get you grounded.”
 
“Mom,” Stacey hissed standing up, “I finished cooking dinner.”
 
“Oh, dear, I’m so sorry,” Mom said realizing that she left without finishing dinner.
 
“It’s ok, it’s still warm,” Stacey said ducking into the house. I rubbed my short hair a few more times not believing that I had gone through with it.
 
We ate dinner in silence. Everyone was still thinking about the bombshell that mom had dropped on us. I wondered what exactly would come of it. What else were we supposed to be to fit in here? I thought things weren’t that different from place to place. It wasn’t like we left the country. We had only moved a few states south, and we were already making big changes. The school year started in the middle of the week. There would be two more days before the weekend, and I was looking forward to a break. I wasn’t too sure I wanted Sunday to roll around.
 
“So Christian,” Mom said trying to get my attention. “Want to go church hunting tomorrow?”
 
“I don’t think I do,” I shrugged while looking at her. It was just the two of us at the dinner table.
 
“Why not?” She frowned while stacking my finished plate on top of hers. She rose from the table and moved across the kitchen. She stacked our plates into the dishwasher a little too loudly.
 
“Because I don’t think I want to,” I answered flatly. I turned to leave the room as she placed her hand on my shoulder, and I stopped.
 
“Church isn’t that scary of a place, I went to a church when I was a little girl,” Mom offered in a soothing voice.
 
“Mom, I am not going to be a problem for you over this,” I said turning to look at her. “I’m not going to like it. I’ll deal with it like everyone else, but I will not, for a second, agree with the decision.”
 
“Now that’s no way to speak to your mother,” Dad’s voice scolded from behind. I had heard him enter the kitchen.
 
“No, it’s the truth dad,” I countered, shrugging Mom’s hand off my shoulder. I didn’t like being in here with the two of them. I always felt cornered, wrong and stupid afterwards.
 
“We’re still going to church Sunday. I would think you’d want to pick which church we went to,” Dad said pointedly.
 
“Well I wouldn’t think there would be a wide selection. Just pick one,” I answered. I turned and left to find Stacey. She was probably still up in her room, pissed! The upstairs stunk of paint. I was starting to get a headache from the fumes as I knocked on her door.
 
“Mom, please, enough is enough,” Stacey grumbled as I heard her walking to the door before opening it.
 
“Should you really be in here with the door closed?” I asked looking around.
 
The room was now a light green. The My Little Pony wallpaper had been removed and it looked a lot like Stacey’s old room. The room was blanketed in plastic. She still had the bright pink carpeting though and it looked strange. I hadn’t been into my room yet.
 
“If it kills me, it kills me,” Stacey answered shrugging. “I’m already in hell anyway.”
 
“Yeah, really,” I agreed, this wasn’t the best place in the world for either of us.
 
“Why the hell did dad have to get himself shot?” Stacey asked crossing her arms and I looked at her.
 
“It isn’t like he had a choice,” I countered seeing her smile.
 
“I was just saying,” Stacey sat down, making a rattling noise, on her plastic covered computer chair.
 
“I know,” I said rubbing my feet across the fuzzy pink carpet. “Where the hell are we gonna sleep tonight?”
 
“I call the couch again,” Stacey said raising her hand. I stuck my tongue out.
 
“Fine.” I sighed then grinned at her. “I have first shower.”
 
“Freak!” She hissed crossing her arms. “Do you want the couch?”
 
“Nope,” I smiled, “I’d sleep in the van if it meant first shower.”
 
“I didn’t take that long you know. Mom just didn’t wake us up in time,” Stacey countered scratching her head. “I’m a little dizzy.”
 
“Well, then let’s go outside,” I offered. We would be away from our parents. They were still ‘discussing’ the church issue as we walked past. Mom was feeding Grace. I hadn’t heard her usual cries of hunger. When we got outside, we sat in the seat and started to gently swing. My sister and I were close, and had always gotten along well. I hoped that this was one thing our move would not change.
 
“It’s so quiet here,” Stacey said as we listened to the rustling of the branches in the trees planted closest to our house. There were birds chirping between them as if they were having a conversation.
 
“Yeah,” I agreed, “It’s nice in that sense.”
 
“Are you kidding?” Stacey asked looking over at me as if she didn’t know me. “You know how hard it is for me to sleep when I’m so used to hearing things at night?”
 
“I didn’t have any trouble last night,” I shrugged.
 
We stayed outside watching the purples and pinks of sunset. After the sun was gone, we went back inside. Dad told me that I could sleep in the guest room. I hadn’t yet checked on the paint job in my room. As long as the baseball stuff was gone, I’d be happy. I hated sports. The next morning was harder for me than the first. When I had hair I knew there would be no way of controlling it. I stared at my short hair for a few minutes wondering what the hell to do with it. It kept sticking up no matter how I styled it. I let Stacey into the bathroom with me and she beat down my stubborn hair with some gel.
 
“I hate your hair,” She grumbled sleepily, “This is the best I can do. Now get out so I can get started.”
 
“Ok,” I shrugged. I was finished anyway. I walked down stairs to the living room and waited for everyone else to get ready.
 
“You two are catching the bus today,” Mom said walking into the living room. She was putting in her earrings. She had already fixed her red hair into a tight bun. She was wearing this peach business skirt that looked terrible on her, but I didn’t say anything. Mom was a pretty woman, she just dressed terribly. She grabbed Grace and placed her in the car seat.
 
“Where are you taking Grace?” I asked watching her walk to the door.
 
“My office has a day care. Your dad needs to get back to work,” Mom answered with a quick smile. “You’re going to be late if you don’t leave now honey!” She said looking past me.
 
“I’m trying,” Dad bellowed from the other side of the house and mom shook her head and laughed.
 
“Bye Christian, love you,” Mom said walking out the door with Grace. At least we were all working and going to school again. When Stacey was dressed, we went outside to see the bus starting to pull away. We both ran and seeing us, the bus driver stopped and backed up a little.
 
“I’m sorry,” I said climbing onto the bus. “I don’t really know what time you get
 
“That’s fine for today, try to be outside waiting tomorrow,” The driver said flatly. He didn’t look like that nice of a person. I’m sure if we weren’t out there tomorrow, we’d be left to walk. I saw Matt and his friend sitting together, so I found an empty seat and Stacey sat beside me. She was wearing a skirt that looked shorter than the one she had on yesterday, and I rolled my eyes.
 
“What?” She asked catching me.
 
“You,” I answered pointing at her skirt.
 
“Is my fly unzipped?” She asked in a hushed voice.
 
“No, well yeah it is actually,” I answered noticing it. “But you’re only doing this to get whistled at again.”
 
“And why did you cut your hair?” She asked. She had made her point.
 
“Fine,” I said. “You win like always.”
 
“I know,” She smiled.
 
I turned to look out the window. A few more people boarded the bus before we reached the school. We were one of the later buses to arrive, and the lunch room was pretty packed. We were sent there before the bell rang. We didn’t really know where our early classes were, because we only attended a few on the first day.
 
“Christian,” Matt said walking up to me, “I’m here to show you to your classes today.”
 
“Well aren’t you just the little helper,” Stacey said earning annoyed looks from both of us.
 
“There’s someone around here that’s supposed to help you, too,” Matt said
 
looking around. “It’s someone that shares all your classes with you, so no one will end up late for class.”
 
“I didn’t notice you in my other classes,” I blurted without thinking.
 
“That’s because you didn’t look around at all,” Matt chuckled. “You were a wreck yesterday.”
 
“Oh right,” I said rolling my eyes. “I guess I was.”
 
“Aww,” Stacey said as a tall toned guy appeared beside her.
 
“Oh, this is Adam,” Matt said, “Stacey’s guide for the day.”
 
“Oh hello, Adam,” Stacey greeted cheerfully. “How are you this morning?”
 
“I’m fine, I guess,” Adam said taking Stacey’s outstretched hand after looking at if for a second. I was amused at Stacey’s change of mood with the appearance of Adam. We hadn’t even sat at a table when the bell rang, causing Stacey to jump. She was lost in babbling about her life with Adam, and hadn’t been expecting it. I was standing there with Matt not really looking at him. I was studying the various social clicks to see where I might belong. I didn’t seem I would fit anywhere, and that worried me. Like mom warned, everyone looked the same. This must have been a pretty strict dress code, or there weren’t that many different personalities. Stacey stood out in her short and revealing shirt. Adam couldn’t keep from gawking. A few guys had already whistled, or called out things in her direction. I wasn’t paying attention enough to keep count. Stacey was a senior. I was a sophomore. She would be leaving me in this hell hole to return home for college. I would be alone, so I knew I had to find friends and become close with them fast. When we separated, I followed Matt, as Stacey walked beside Adam still talking to him. He was nodding and I saw him laugh a few times. They acted like they had known one other for years instead of minutes. Maybe Stacey is a good adjuster. Maybe I am the one unable to cope.
 
“There doesn’t seem to be that many different people here,” I said causing Matt to look back at me. He slowed down so that we were side by side, making it easier for us to talk.
 
“There are a lot of different people that go here,” Matt countered looking around briefly. “It’s just that you have to know them, to see the differences.”
 
“Well people don’t really know how to make statements here,” He looked at me strangely before stopping and ushering me into the class.
 
I was going to leave him to sit somewhere else, but he pointed to an empty seat beside him. I saw his friend waiting, and since I didn’t know anyone else, I took my seat across from him. Matt'’s friend took the seat to the front.
 
“Christian, this is Jonathon,” Matt introduced us and Jonathon nodded in my direction.
 
“Hey,” I offered with a weak smile before looking forward as the class started.
 
After the class was over we stepped out into the hallway. Students were gathering into small groups again. I missed my clique of friends back home. I wasn’t really close to any of them, we just had similar interests. I wasn’t really expecting any of them to call me or anything like that. I was always afraid of not finding those few individuals that I would be friends with for the rest of my life. I know I would always have Stacey, and in the future, Grace.
 
“You’re quiet,” Jonathon stated loudly as we walked down the hall to our next
 
“Well… it isn’t like I know either of you,” I said glancing at him. Jonathon was taller than Matt and I. He had broad shoulders and he was goofy in the way he acted. Almost to the point of annoyance and I had only just met him.
 
“Where are you from?” Jonathon asked curiously. I was glad that he was making an effort to get to know me, even if I was trying to escape him.
 
“Baltimore,” I answered shortly before Matt ushered me into my second class of the day. We only had to attend five classes a day with lunch in the middle of the third. This made it the longest period of the day.
 
“Why’d ya move?” He asked as we all sat together.
 
“Dad got shot,” I answered and I saw that his eyes widened slightly.
 
“What does he do?” Matt asked and the question surprised me since he hadn’t made that much of an effort.
 
“He’s a lawyer,” I answered.
 
He had a thoughtful look on his face which soon disappeared. Matt intrigued me.I had never met someone who acted the way he does. He seemed social, but withdrawn as well. Matt possessed an almost quiet confidence. I thought he would be more outgoing, being Jonathon thought I was quiet. In actuality, I had talking more that Matt.
 
“Is he ok?” Jonathon asked, “I mean, my dad’s a preacher, nothing happens to
 
“Yeah. He’s fine, has a pretty messy injury on his arm though,” I shrugged. “What’s the name of your church?”
 
“Ah, it’s Landfalls COG,” Jonathon answered handing me a card. The COG stood for Church of God and I wondered why it had a card. I stuck it into my pocket knowing that mom would want to see it.
 
 
“What kinds of things are you into?” Matt asked. We were completely ignoring the teacher and I guess that was ok since she continued teaching. We were being quiet, and were sitting in the back row of the class, the farthest away from her.
 
“Painting, playing piano, and equestrian,” I answered before they turned to look at one another.
 
“Why?” Jonathon asked looking me over. “You don’t look like you’d be into any of those.”
 
“Well I’m not into sports,” I shrugged. I didn’t really like being examined by the two of them.
 
“You’re a guy, how can you not be into sports?” Jonathon asked before looking at Matt with a smirked. “These northern guys are weird.”
 
“Excuse me,” I stated flatly then turned to ignore him.
 
I didn’t want to be judged. Athletics held none of my interest. I hated the attitude that came with being good in sports. This had been the very reason I got into painting and playing piano. There was no attitude there, just talent. Good painters and pianists were rare at my age, and I was one of them.
 
“Jon’s church needs a better piano player,” Matt said snapping me out of my mental rant.
 
“That’s too bad,” I responded shortly.
 
“You have to excuse him,” Matt said offering me a short smile.
 
“I don’t have to do anything,” I countered shaking my head.
 
“Football is the only thing that’s on his brain,” Matt continued ignoring what I was saying. “He doesn’t understand how people can’t like it and all that.”
 
“Can’t see how it would be difficult to understand that,” I said looking back at Jonathon who was obviously hanging on my every word. “Bunch of nasty dumb asses, knocking each other into the mud.” I wished I could take it back as soon as I said it though. They both looked at me like I was Satan or something.
 
“You cussed,” Jonathon stammered looking at me. “In front of me.”
 
“It isn’t like it’s a bad thing, I’m sure everyone cusses,” I shrugged looking at him.
 
“I’m sure they do, but not in front of me,” Jonathon said studying me. “It’s a first actually.”
 
“Oh, well,” I said with a slight smile. “Glad to be the first then.”
 
“I guess,” Jonathon offered.
 
It seemed he had to reply to anything another person said, as though drilled into his brain. I didn’t like that about him. It annoyed me. I put a stop to it when I turned back around to gather up my things. It was almost time for class to end, and I hadn’t heard a word said by the teacher. I wasn’t even sure what class I was in. I hadn’t received a book for it yet.
 
“Well see ya after school Matt,” Jonathon stood as the bell rang. I was glad it would be the last class I had with him. I’m sure he could turn out to be a good enough person, but right now he was just an annoyance to me. I didn’t click with him at all, and Matt was still a stranger to me. The two of them were weird. I wondered how they became friends. They seemed to be two very different people.
 
“Yeah, roller hockey in the park,” Matt said. Jonathon gave a nod, and a wide smile before walking off. I followed him up the hall. It was only two doors down from the class we had just come from. We sat down, the teacher took attendance, and then she told us to go to lunch. I had gave her my name and she handed me a thick math book which made me frowned. Math wasn’t my subject at all.
 
“Are the lunches good?” I asked curiously as we waited in line to get a tray.
 
“It’s ok I guess,” Matt answered as we moved few steps up in line. “Do you want to play roller hockey with us later?”
 
“No,” I answered without thinking about it. “I can’t skate.”
 
“Oh, well, I can teach you,” Matt responded, “It’s not that hard.”
 
“Maybe later,” I shrugged as we were handed trays.
 
I stopped, watching Matt pay for his lunch and I groaned. I didn’t realize that this was a public school. We had meal plans that were pre-paid at the beginning of the school year at my old school. We just punched in a pin number.
 
 
“You have to pay for that,” The woman said as I attempted to walk past her.
 
“I’ll pay for two lunches tomorrow,” I responded looking at her.
 
“Here, I got it,” Matt said handing her the money. I frowned and followed him
 
“Don’t ever do that again,” I said looking down at my food.
 
“Oh, well you wouldn’t eat if I didn’t,” Matt said smiling at me. “She would have taken your tray away from you.”
 
“Really?” I asked as he sat down at an empty table. I looked around for Stacey, but when I didn’t see her, I sat with a seat separating us. The tables were round and barely sat six people.
 
“Yeah., Matt answered taking a drink from his milk. I hated milk. I got up and went to a machine for a bottle of water. When I returned, there was a full table. My tray had been scooted to the seat right next to Matt’s.
 
“I’ll go find another seat,” I said in a hushed voice.
 
“Why?” Matt asked pulling my chair back. “Sit down, that seat is always open anyway.”
 
“Well ok,” I said and I felt my face getting hot. I hated meeting new people, especially ones that were probably going to be just as brainless and annoying as Jonathon.
 
“This is Kate, Lacey, and Gavin,” Matt introduced as they all smiled. “Everyone, this is Christian.”
 
“The new kid,” Gavin said reaching across the table offering his hand. I shook it and the girls just smiled and waved shortly.
 
“Yeah,” I said, “The new kid.”
 
“Are you single?” Lacey asked curiously.
 
“If you are, then you won’t be for long,” Matt said rolling his eyes. “Now that Lacey is over Jon.”
 
“Shut up Matt,” Lacey groaned. She sat beside Gavin. Kate was on the other
side of Matt. “It’s not like I ever really dated him. He’s not allowed to date.”
 
“Why not?” I asked curiously.
 
“Uh, because his dad’s a preacher,” Lacey answered like it was everyday knowledge.
 
“Yeah. He’s not allowed to date until after college,” Matt added with a little laugh. “I don’t think Jon minds anyway.”
 
“He’s gay?” I asked and everyone busted out laughing.
 
“No, he’s just stupid,” Gavin countered still laughing.
 
“Matt are you gonna play hockey after school again?” Kate asked causing me to look at her.
 
“Yeah,” Matt answered as Kate gave a small groan.
 
“You’re always playing hockey,” Kate whined. I realized then that the two of them were dating. Gavin wasn’t dating Lacey and wondered whether or not he had a girlfriend. At least I knew that Matt had similar friends. It was Jonathon that was the weird one now.
 
“How did you and Jonathon become friends?” I asked snapping Matt’s attention away from Kate.
 
“We’re cousins,” Matt said shortly, “It’s kind of easy to be friends with your
cousin.”
 
“Are ya comin to the park Chris?” Gavin asked and I noticed how easily they accepted me into their group. I wondered if everyone was just abnormally kind, or if they were faking it.
 
“No,” I answered shrugging, “And it’s Christian.”
 
“Oh, sorry,” Gavin said and I saw Lacey’s eyes flutter.
 
“That’s is a great name,” She swooned.
 
I knew I was going to have to stop that whole thing before she got too attached. When lunch ended I noticed I hadn’t really eaten. I looked around and saw that nearly everyone else hadn’t either. I wondered why they went through the trouble of buying food. The rest of the day Kate had classes with Matt and she kept his attention. I would see him trying to include me, but she’d always ask him a question that he’d have to answer. She was definitely needing his attention and his opinion on everything she did. Matt and Jonathon weren’t on the bus, so I knew that the park was probably close to school and within walking distance.
 
“My day was weird,” Stacey said as she sat down beside me. “I have a date this weekend.”
 
“Really?” I asked looking her over. “Dad probably won’t let you go.”
 
“Yeah he will,” Stacey smiled, “He always gives in.”
 
“You’re too spoiled,” I joked, poking her in the side. “My day was weird too.”
 
“Yeah?” She asked, “People overly nice to you too then.”
 
“Exactly,” I said looking at her. “I would think it would be normal to run into at least one person that would pick on me.”
 
“Well, less people for me to kill then,” Stacey added still smiling, “Take your blessings as they come.”
 
“Ok, grandma,” I said. It was the one thing she always said, and Stacey liked mocking her
 
When we got home, I handed Mom the card and told her about Jonathon. She decided that we would go to that church. She smiled and I wondered if that meant she thought I had made an effort to find a church for us to go to. I knew at least, that this church, would have people that I actually knew, even if I didn’t really like Jonathon. I knew that everything was set now. Our new lives and changes were all settling in. We had to accept them for what they were, whether we were ready or not. What a change it was turning out to be, too.
 
Copyright © 2011 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This was a rather strange chapter compared with chapter one. :huh:

Initially, I was surprised at the marked improvement in grammar, punctuation, etc. but then some sentences are definitely incomplete, with a few minor typos. At places it was difficult to understand who said what and to whom. :/

However disregarding these icky kind of stuff, well done, again ;) because:

It was cute to read Christian’s account from where he decided by himself not wear his earrings again, not even out of school – our lil hero is typically teen, wanting to fit in with his peers. I found the conversation between the family about this and the haircut, well, touching. But then the cut-off sentences started. With some imagination I could catch the drift. 0:)

Had a good chuckle at the “Is my fly unzipped?” paragraphs, though. :gikkle:

Overall, the tone of this whole chapter was rather "Goth-like", especially with the interactions between Christopher, Matt, and Jonathan. The kids buying food but left it uneaten, and that they all appear to be so cool towards the Brother and Sister... :unsure2:

And yes, sorry to say, when I saw COG it all added to the uneasy atmosphere for the rest of this chapter. :blink:

Right, that said, on to chapter 3 :music:

Link to comment

Ok, yeah it does seem like mom is a hypocrite by telling her kids not to conform but then lying about being a Christian as well as looking to join a church despite not believing in such things just to appease clients. I mean in her case money is on the line if most of her clients feel the same way but still she’s confirming to make other people happy. I’m a little bit sad that Christian(the person not the religion 😂) is conforming to fit in with his peers as on one hand he didn’t seem pressured into it but it didn’t really seem like he would have done it if no one had suggested it so it’s definitely linked to a desire to fit in. Hanging around a preachers son who’s so uptight is going to get uncomfortable in the long run and I’m worried they’ll end up preaching against the LGBTQ+ community at some point which will be an emotional moment for our main character.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..