Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 3,354 Words
  • 2,752 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Good Guys Finish Last - 13. Chapter 13

When I woke up shivering I looked back and saw that Matt had hogged all the sheets and was now rolled up in them on the other side of the bed. It was still a dim blue outside and I looked down at the floor to see everyone else still sleeping. So I stood and as carefully as I could I stepped over Brian then grimaced. I was trapped by the air mattress. I didn’t want to wake anyone up - especially not Derek. I looked around the room then I saw the window that stepped out onto the deck so I stepped back over Brian and opened the window then crawled out of it. It was foggy and the sand was damp when I stepped off the porch. When I got to the surf I let it hit me on the ankles and shivered. Then when Julie appeared I glanced at her and laughed when she danced backwards to miss the surf.

 

“Good morning Jules,” I greeted then she nuzzled up against me.

 

“Good morning honey,” she responded and I rested my head on hers. I liked that we were close.

 

“Do you think Brian will forgive you for attacking him?” I asked and she laughed.

 

“I doubt it. I think he about pissed himself,” Julie answered and I shook my head. Julie definitely was unique.

 

“Do you think Rick will really leave Becky and Matt alone?” I asked and Julie stepped away from me.

 

“Yeah,” Julie replied then she grabbed my shoulder to get my attention. It was a cloudy day and I hated that none of us had enjoyed the ocean yet. “Have you talked to Derek?”

 

“Not after I came back to the house,” I answered not really wanting to think about it. We’ve already had a lot of fights and I was starting to doubt things. Sometimes people just weren’t meant to be together.

 

“Well I’m pretty sure everything’s ok,” Julie offered then we both turned to see someone else appearing from the thick fog.

 

“Hey Sara,” I greeted then nudged Julie when I heard her sigh.

 

“Hey guys,” she said offering me a smile and Julie a quick glance.

 

“How’d you sleep?” I asked after a silence fell over us.

 

“Not well,” Sara answered and Julie laughed slightly.

 

“Becky snores,” Julie whispered and for once the two of them laughed together. When they realized it they stopped. Them two were never going to change. It’d actually be weird if it did.

 

“Well Matt is a cover hog,” I pointed out, “Them two are destined to be sleeping in separate rooms.”

 

“Yeah.” Julie agreed, “I still can’t believe the smart relaxed boy fell in love with the tag along princess.”

 

“Julie it was bound to happen,” I countered lightly, “Who else would he have to pick from?”

 

“Um, me,” Julie answered looking surprised.

 

“I would think it’s pretty difficult to fall for someone that always chased us around with sticks,” I countered, “You were a mean kid.”

 

“Well I was out numbered really, Becky wasn’t much help,” Julie remarked and we both started laughing. Remembering when everything was good and simple was relaxing.

 

“You guys have a lot of stories I bet,” Sara said getting my attention. She had looked hurt.

 

“Yeah we do,” Julie, replied, “I need hot chocolate, excuse me.”

 

“Alright,” I offered and she stepped past Sara to walk back into the house, “Sara I’m…”

 

“It’s fine,” Sara interrupted, “We can make up for lost time.”

 

“Yeah,” I agreed if I had known how much she and my mom talked I would have made more of an effort. I knew that I wanted to be Sara’s friend back in high school, but I didn’t know she wanted to be mine.

 

“Derek and I talked about you last night,” Sara revealed and I looked at her. Then I looked down at my feet partially buried in the sand. I took a few steps back so that the water couldn’t reach me. Then I sat down and patted the sand next to me. When she walked to where I was sitting and sat down she rested her head on my shoulder.

 

“Are you going to tell me about it?” I asked when felt her arm hooking under mine.

 

“We talked about you and him, but I don’t want to repeat it,” Sara answered and I frowned, “He told me a lot of things that he should be telling you.”

 

“Ok,” I offered, “I wouldn’t want you to piss him off too.”

 

“He’s not mad,” Sara sighed, “Just make sure you two are fixed before you leave.”

 

“Why?” I asked fearing what she may have found out now.

 

“Well I think Derek may like to run from problems,” Sara answered, “And he can’t if he’s trapped here.”

 

“Thanks, I’ll definitely trap him into staying with me,” I countered and she lifted her head off my shoulder.

 

“Look, he likes you, you’re both good for one another,” Sara remarked seriously. “I think I want some hot chocolate too.”

 

“Bring me out a cup?” I asked and she nodded then stood and left me alone. I knew a lot has happened already. Julie made me braver than I ever thought I would be by myself. She did out me to Derek, but I never really thought anything about it. I thought Derek had me figured before then anyway. If I didn’t have them two I don’t know where I’d be. My mom was dead now. She was the one person that I discussed many of my fears with. Other than me being gay, I never let her know that part of me. It wasn’t that I thought that she’d be accepting. I wanted to tell her many times, but after she got sick it was forgotten. When she was dying I started thinking about it again, but I really didn’t want to tell her now. I hated how things changed from month the month. It’s been like this ever since my dad left.

 

“Here’s your chocolate,” Derek stated and I jumped not expecting him there. I didn’t look up at him I just held up my hand and he placed the cup in it. Things were silent then. All that I heard was the birds starting to get active and the ocean surf roaring. It didn’t look like the clouds were going to break apart either. This trip was everything, but enjoyable. “Charlie?”

 

“Yeah,” I answered still looking ahead.

 

“What’s wrong?” Derek asked still standing behind me.

 

“You tell me,” I answered shrugging.

 

“Don’t fight with me,” he sighed walking around me to sit beside me.

 

“I don’t know if we should be together anymore Derek,” I revealed glancing to look at him out of the corner of my eye.

 

“What?” Derek asked sounding surprised by it. I didn’t think he’d be surprised at all. He was the one that dismissed me yesterday when I tried telling him what happened with Brian. I would have at least though he would see something like this coming.

 

“You know, I think we fight too much,” I answered shifting myself around so that I was looking at him.

 

“About Brian I’m sorry about that,” Derek apologized placing his hands on my knees.

 

“You shouldn’t have had a reason to overreact Derek,” I countered frowning. “You should have had a reason to trust me.”

 

“Well you shouldn’t have been in a bathroom with him either,” Derek remarked and I sat my hot chocolate down in the sand.

 

“I told you last night and I’m not repeating it,” I snapped.

 

“Don’t get mad,” Derek whined he still had his hands on my knees. His thumbs had started rubbing across them.

 

“Do you want to break up?” I asked and he looked thoughtful.

 

“Do you think we should?” He asked and I leaned back holding myself up with my hands.

 

“I asked you a question first,” I said trying not to sound mad.

 

“No I don’t want to break up,” Derek answered then we heard Julie ushering everyone back into the house.

 

“Then learn to trust me,” I responded and he offered me an awkward smile.

 

“I do trust you, I just don’t trust other people,” Derek countered and I could feel myself growing frustrated.

 

“Then you’re not really trusting me then are you?” I asked sitting up straighter.

 

“Yes I do,” Derek replied.

 

“No you don’t or it wouldn’t matter who the fuck I was with!” I snapped standing up. I dusted myself up and poured out my hot chocolate the now had sand it in. “Derek if you want to be with me you better prove it.”

 

“Charlie, sit back down,” Derek ordered looking up at me. He was shading his eyes even if it wasn’t bright out.

 

“I can trust you and I care for you a lot,” I stammered not sitting, “If you can’t return that then after we get home you need to leave.”

 

“I can, damn it,” Derek sighed standing up and faced me. I didn’t want to kick him out. I didn’t want to break up with him. I did need him to let me know that he can trust me.

 

“Do you think I’m using you?” I asked and he bit his lower lip.

 

“If I thought that I would have left you,” Derek answered and I smiled slightly. It was the first answer that I actually liked.

 

“Do you think I’m going to leave you?” I interrogated crossing my arms. I was starting to feel awkward standing out here in shorts. It was the beach so I knew it would be normal. The cloud cover and fog made it feel unnatural to me though.

 

“No,” Derek answered in a low voice. He smiled then and I stared at him for a few moments. He hadn’t shaved in a few days so there was stubble dotted across his face contrasting against his tan. His hair was a mess as well. He was dressed though, but I doubt that he had a shower.

 

“Good,” I said, “That’s all we need to know.”

 

“So are ya’ll done fighting yet?” Matt yelled from the porch.

 

“Yeah,” I answered glancing back to see them all. Well almost all of them. Brian wasn’t visible. I would think he felt trapped here with people that he fucked with. Julie won’t be having anything to do with him. I didn’t really want to either. Derek didn’t trust him at all either.

 

“Kiss and show us then,” Julie said after we walked up the beach to where they were.

 

“No, don’t,” Rick, groaned causing everyone to laugh. I felt my face getting hot. I don’t think I’ve ever been too affectionate with Derek in front of people. I didn’t think that waitress counted as she just thought that we were playing around.

 

“There’s a time and place for that anyway,” Derek responded and I looked to see Julie opening her mouth.

 

“No Jules,” I ordered pointing in her direction.

 

“What?” She asked shrugging. She didn’t like being caught.

 

“I know what you were about to say,” I answered rolling my eyes.

 

“I was just going to say that you two need to go get your asses into some swimming trunks so we can get out on the jet skis,” Julie replied and I glanced at Derek who was blushing.

 

“Alright let’s go change,” I said taking hold of Derek’s hand. We were about through the screen door when Julie grabbed my shoulder.

 

“Besides I already told them,” Julie stated winking at me. I looked past her to see everyone looking at me.

 

“Shit,” I mumbled it caused everyone to laugh and when I turned around I saw Brian sitting in the living room by himself. Derek was looking at him as well and the two looked to be having a staring contest.

 

“You can have the bathroom first,” Derek said letting go of my hand.

 

“No Derek…”

 

“Just go change I won’t do anything,” Derek interrupted and I looked over at Brian again before I went to change. If Derek confronted Brian I could at least hear it. Part of me wanted Derek to let Brian know how wrong he was. How much he really almost fucked up Derek and me. I didn’t know how bad Derek’s temper was though. I also didn’t want Brian to become alienated anymore than what he already was from the people here. One kiss really could do a lot of things in a short amount of time. After changing I stepped back out into the hallway and Derek was standing off to the side.

 

“What’d you do?” I asked looking him over. He had already changed into his shorts.

 

“Me and Brian had a talk,” Derek answered then he kissed me on the cheek. “He’s coming with us now.”

 

“Well what did you say?” I asked as I was being pushed gently down the hall.

 

“Not to ever fuck with you again and everything will be alright,” Derek answered and I looked back at him.

 

“You didn’t really did you?” I asked sighing.

 

“No,” Derek answered sounding amused, “Take a joke Williams.”

 

“Learn how to tell jokes,” I countered elbowing him in the stomach. We then joined everyone else out on the porch. Julie and Brian were still keeping their distance from one another though. I didn’t blame Brian for that. Not after the lashing she gave him last night. I knew Julie was fiery but I didn’t ever imagine her attacking someone especially someone that was her boyfriend.

 

“Alright we’re gonna have to pair up some,” Matt said looking at everyone. There were only two couples in the group.

 

“Oh shit,” Julie groaned looking around, “Rick the reckless fucker that failed his driver’s test eight times is what I’m stuck with.”

 

“Julie I’m not riding with you,” Rick countered crossing his arms, “Come on Brian.”

 

“What!” Julie screeched, “No you’re not.”

 

“I am,” Rick responded laughing. He knew what he was doing.

 

“Well ok I can take Sara,” Julie caved smiling, “But Brian is gay.”

 

“Damn,” Rick hissed as Julie walked past him holding Sara’s hand. It shocked everyone else to see them two holding hands. It looked more like Julie dragging Sara down the beach though.

 

“I could always ride with Brian,” Matt offered then Rick looked at him.

 

“Being all close to my sister like that is a lot worse,” Rick, countered, “It’s fine, we’ll have fun. Won’t we Brian?”

 

“I don’t know?” Brian asked looking nervous. “Did you really fail your driver’s test eight times?”

 

“Yeah,” Rick answered shrugging, “This isn’t a road though.”

 

“You guys are wasting daylight!” Julie yelled then Sara and her pushed the Jet Ski out into the wave. Then Sara got on first and Julie held on. The surf looked rough. We all then walked to the remaining jets and pushed them into the ocean and we all started them up. It was difficult, but the water calmed down after we got further out. You could hear the girls screaming. Derek was driving and I was sitting behind him. It was still cloudy out and the water felt almost uncomfortably cold when we were splashed.

 

“Are you alright back there?” Derek asked yelling over the roar of the engine.

 

“Yeah!” I answered squeezing him tighter.

 

“Wanna go faster?” He asked glancing back to look at me.

 

“Fuck yeah!” I screeched then I kissed him on the cheek as he accelerated it. I liked being this close. If I always felt this way about Derek then there was nothing wrong with my life anymore. He was no longer just filling voids; he had become a part of me.

 

“What the hell is that noise?” I asked then I started looking around.

 

“What?” He asked not hearing me. When I saw flashing lights on a boat I knew nothing good was going to come from this.

 

“It’s the beach patrol kill the engine!” I yelled and he stopped the jet. Everyone else had as well and we were all scattered out around the boat.

 

“Kids get them back on the beach,” The officer ordered through a loud speaker. Derek then started the ski back up and we went back and when everyone had their jet-skis in the ocean where Matt had them put for our visit the officer stepped off his boat after anchoring it.

 

“What were we doing wrong?” Matt asked getting the officer’s attention.

 

“Those aren’t allowed in this part of the beach,” The officer answered standing in front of us. We had all lined up and he was looking us over.

 

“Since when?” Matt asked a bit too defensively than what I would have expected from Matt.

 

“Since someone drowned on them last year,” The officer answered, “That will be a five hundred dollar fine per person.”

 

“Per person!” Julie huffed, “There was only four skis.”

 

“I am aware of that little lady,” The officer answered, “The law is the law.”

 

“Well what if we don’t have the money to pay for that?” Matt asked and the officer looked down the line at everyone one of us. At first I thought he was going to let us go with a warning. Then he just smiled and grabbed his radio out of its holder on his belt.

 

“I have a bunch of kids down here that can’t pay their fines,” he said then let off the button and waited.

 

“Bring them in,” The voice on the other end ordered.

 

“Radio in for backup,” The officer said, “I’m at Plinki Point.”

 

“Can’t you just let this slide?” Sara asked stepping forward slightly. “For us?” I looked and saw both Sara and Julie crossing their arms and pushing up their breasts. I can’t believe this.

 

“No,” he answered, “Do you guys have a condo down here anywhere?”

 

“Yeah,” Matt answered, “Right this way.” We all followed Matt back up to the house and we all walked in and crammed into the kitchen.

 

“Do you have id’s?” The officer asked placing his clipboard on the kitchen counter.

 

“Yeah,” I answered after no one offered him an answer. He was looking pissed when no one had.

 

“Can I call my friend to come get his skis back?” Matt asked taking hold of the phone.

 

“Sure,” he answered and then Matt stepped into the living room.

 

“We honestly didn’t know there were laws against this officer,” Derek said getting his attention.

 

“Go get your Id’s,” The officer, ordered pulling off his sunglasses. Didn’t know why he needed them. It was cloudy. After we all returned we all handed our driver’s licenses to him and he sat down in a stool and took them all down. No one said anything except Matt who was still talking on the phone. This wasn’t what I had in mind to do today at all. A half an hour later police vehicles were parked out back of the house and we were actually cuffed and put into the car.

 

“I can’t believe we’re being arrested,” I whispered, I was in the car with Matt, Rick, and Sara. We were all going to the same place and we didn’t really have time to be picky about which car to get into.

 

“Dad is gonna kill me,” Matt whispered and I frowned.

 

“I’m sorry we’re so much trouble,” I apologized and he smiled.

 

“This Charlie is living,” Matt, said then he patted me on the arm our cuffs clinking together. “I’m just getting that bastard Shane back for not telling me.”

 

“Why didn’t he?” I asked curiously. I didn’t know who Shane was. It must’ve been someone that lived down here that Matt used to know when they vacationed down here.

 

“He thought we were taking them to Jones Lake,” Matt answered rolling his eyes. “Shane isn’t the smartest of people.”

 

“Well neither are we now,” Rick countered overhearing Matt and I talking.

 

“How the hell are we getting out of this?” Sara asked it was a tight squeeze in the back seat of this car. With the cage and the windows being rolled up I felt smothered. I didn’t ever want to be in the back seat of a cop car again.

 

“We’ll think of something Sara,” I offered and she leaned back, “This really sucks.” I didn’t know how we were going to get our asses out of this.

Copyright © 2010 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Were there signs posted? You can’t expect people to know about a law for a specific area if they aren’t from there and there are no visible signs indicating that jet-skis are forbidden. People aren’t psychic and he seemed to get enjoyment out of fining & arresting them. Sadly some members of law enforcement do get off on such things.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..