Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 3,590 Words
  • 4,036 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Good Guys Finish Last - 2. Chapter 2

When I signed in I was greeted by the boss. She was an older woman that had belonged to my mother’s social group until my mother became ill. It was hard working here with all the questions about mom always being thrown at me, but this was the best paying job in town that a high school kid could come up with.

 

“You’re still dressed in what you had on for graduation. I mean you should have at least took the gown off before coming in.” She announced and I rolled my eyes.

 

“Kathy I just got back into town.” I countered pulling the gown over my head not bothering to just unzip it. Then I walked to my desk and sat down. It was an electronics and a movie rental store and I was the cashier. It always was ran by three employees at a time including Kathy who lived right next door.

 

“How was she looking tonight?” Kathy asked and I had prepared myself to answer her questions before walking through the door.

 

“She was tired when I got there. They said that she couldn’t come home like they had promised either.” I filled her in and she patted my hand like she always did.

 

“Well I bet she was proud of you.” Kathy offered and I nodded.

 

“She still hates that I’m not going to Duke though.” I announced and Kathy crossed her arms.

 

“Now just why aren’t you?” Kathy huffed and I rolled my eyes.

 

“Because I can’t. If I joined the team; which is the only way I could get into Duke and be able to pay for it then I’d be away from here and I want to be here.” I explained and Kathy shook her head.

 

“If only that no good asshole would have left you guys some options none of this would have..” Kathy started then trailed off when I started laughing. It was better than crying like a baby in front of her.

 

“Don’t ever talk about him like that in front of mom.” I warned and she nodded then left me to go turn on the electricity in the movie part of the store while I checked my e-mail on the computer. This place would be alive in a couple of hours and I was just waiting for that phone call from a very hung over Julie calling in sick this morning, but the bell sounded and in she walked shocking me.

 

“Well I was just thinking about you.” I announced and she rolled her eyes plopping down in the seat next to mine.

 

“Lets just say that I don’t know what you saw in Mel and Sara when you dated them. They’re air-heads and I know now that you didn’t have sex with them.” Julie groaned rubbing her temples.

 

“It’s called being in the closet.” I whispered and she shook her head.

 

“So you had to pick the two most dumbest girls in school? Why not me?” She asked amused.

 

“Because they’d no something was up if I dated you.” I joked and her jaws flew apart.

 

“Excuse me I think I am very pretty. I just have a brain that I use on other things besides which shade of lipstick looks best with what type of toenail polish.” Julie snapped putting her hair up into a ponytail.

 

“Well I think I actually had more fun visiting my mom than you did celebrating.” I announced and she cocked her eyebrows.

 

“So did you get good news then?” She asked and I shook my head. “Did the Doctor fill you up or what? Don’t leave me hanging out on a limb.” Julie blabbed and I shook my head.

 

“Well when you stop and catch your breath I will.” I countered and she was going to say something else, but I smirked so she shut up.

 

“I just met a future classmate of yours and mine and we talked some. That’s why I’m here early.” I announced and Julie rolled her eyes.

 

“So you were just talking to some hot girl that doesn’t know that you’re gay and was trying to get into your pants the entire time?” Julie asked un-phased.

 

“Well no, his name is Derek and I took him to eat a late night snack.” I whispered and Julie’s facial expression was hard to read. “What?”

 

“I’m trying to decide whether to ask about your late night snack since my perverted thinking is amusing me at the moment.” Julie shrugged and I started blushing.

 

“No, god, what do you think I am?” I asked and she shook her head acting innocent.

 

“Well you were the one that said late night snack and I don’t know what that means to you, but what I do with..” She trailed off blushing.

 

“I don’t even want to know about any of what you just was fixing to say.” I quipped.

 

“Julie you’re here, well since you’re here I have a lot of things for you to be doing and talking isn’t one of them.” Kathy announced after walking into the room seeing Julie sitting around.

 

“Ok, slave driver I’m coming.” Julie groaned and left me to my thoughts. Which of course was about Derek. I looked down at my hand where he had written his number down on it. The ink was a little bit smeared so I put the number into my cell phone smiling goofily at the number. I thought briefly if I should call him, but I don’t think he would have appreciated it seeing that the sun was just now shining through the windows.

 

“So where we headed for lunch?” Julie asked finishing up the last thing Kathy told her to do this morning.

 

“I don’t know. You pick.” I shrugged and she smiled.

 

“Hamburgers it is then, lets get out of here before Kathy hunts me down.” Julie pushed me out the door.

 

“Your car or mine?” I asked amused that she was pushing me.

 

“Mine I want to live.” I rolled my eyes earning a punch.

 

“I’ll have you know that I have only gotten three tickets this year.” Julie argued and I shook my head.

 

“Well then we should celebrate your achievements.” I quipped.

 

“Look right here, what is this?” Julie asked waving the ticket I got last night.

 

“I wasn’t speeding he was just an asshole.” I announced attempting to grab the ticket from her hands, but she yanked it away.

 

“Don’t I remember you complaining a couple of days ago for getting a ticket?” Julie asked looking over the ticket.

 

“It wasn’t my fault at all.” I attempted to explain, but Julie just shook her head.

 

“You were clocked going 75 in a 45 mile an hour zone my lord you were in a hurry to go see your momma.” Julie joked and I rolled my eyes.

 

“Hey, she would like it if you come see her. I mean you haven’t been up there and you know she loves you.” I turned around and started in the direction of the nearest restaurant that served hamburgers.

 

“Well the next time you go swing by and get me. You know I’m not allowed to have a life and all.” Julie responded and I smiled. Her parents belonged to a strongly religious family so Julie couldn’t get out as much as she wanted to. She also was the only person our age to still have a 10 o’clock curfew.

 

“Did that Derek guy leave a number?” Julie asked and I nodded.

 

“It’s in my cell why?” I asked glancing over at her for a brief second.

 

“Well I think he needs to come to lunch with us.” Julie announced grabbing at my cell that was in my lap.

 

“Watch yourself and no I don’t even know where he lives.” I objected smacking her hand away as she went in for a second attempt.

 

“If he wanted to see you he’d find us.” Julie countered smiling evilly.

 

“Yes, but he hasn’t been down here very long so..” I made a weak attempt to get her to stop.

 

“Shut up, we’re calling him once we get stopped and that’s that.” Julie ordered and I rolled my eyes.

 

“We’ll see about that.” I smirked pulling into the parking lot and parking. Kathy didn’t care how long we took on our lunch break as long as we made it back before the afternoon swarm. This was also the weekend so the movie part of the store was going to be a buzz.

 

“Give me the cell phone.” Julie ordered and I grabbed the cell protecting it.

 

“No, get your own.” I countered sticking out my tongue.

 

“Well then you have two seconds to be handing me that phone or I’ll have to take it by force.” Julie threatened and I opened my car.

 

“Let’s get at it then.” I growled stepping out. I was a little less than a foot taller than her so I held the phone above my head laughing at her poor attempts to jump and get it.

 

“Good lord it’s just a phone call to a guy.” Julie groaned crossing her arms. People were watching us from the inside of the store. We both knew everyone in our town and they had talked about us hooking up and why we hadn’t, only Julie and I knowing the truth behind the reason. When Julie finally gave up we stood there standing on the sidewalk staring at one another smiling.

 

“Do you know what’s funny about guys?” Julie asked evilly and I knew she had thought of a way to get the phone.

 

“What is that?” I asked skeptically.

 

“That they don’t protect their assets.” She countered slyly and I was confused until her foot almost connected with my balls and I lowered my arms instinctively then she took the chance to grab the phone tucking it into her pocket.

 

“Bitch you fight dirty.” I grimaced thankful that she hadn’t put force behind that kick.

 

“Oh and you holding the phone over your head being a giant wasn’t? I have to use what I have and that’s brains.” Julie quipped and I shook my head.

 

“You might still have the phone, but you won’t call him.” I stated evenly.

 

“Oh well I have to pee.” Julie announced and I frowned.

 

“You wouldn’t..” I trailed off knowing that she would. She knew I couldn’t follow her into the restrooms.

 

“I am.” She beamed then walked around me into the restaurant.

 

“Oh, and I want a burger and fries with a salad.” She announced and walked into the restroom and I nodded defeated.

 

“Looks like she got the best of you Charlie.” Linda the manager of the restaurant announced as I walked up to the bar to order.

 

“You saw?” I asked blushing slightly.

 

“Honey, the whole restaurant saw that. When are you going to get with that girl anyway?” She asked and I shook my head.

 

“When I lose my insanity.” I joked and she rung up my orders and I paid her then I found a table so that we could share. When Julie had returned from the restroom she had a large smile on her face.

 

“You evil whore.” I whispered and she rolled her eyes.

 

“Well I told him where we worked and he said that he wanted to rent some movies.” She replied in a sexy voice.

 

“So?” I stated still embarrassed that everyone saw us.

           

“Well he said that he wanted to see you.” Julie stated and I knew it was too soon to become hopeful.

 

“Yes, to be his friend.” I countered taking a bite of my hamburger.

 

“Well you know that very popular saying you can only fail if you try.” Julie stated seriously.

 

“Thank you Yoda.” I joked and she kicked me underneath the table.

 

“You just need to get out of that closet of yours.” She instructed and I shook my head.

 

“Well thank you, but I don’t want to date anyone yet.” I frowned looking down at my food.

 

“Why not?” She asked and I looked at my watch.

 

“We better get back to work don’t you think?” I asked trying to change the subject.

 

“Oh, to see Derek?” She asked elbowing me and winking.

 

“No, to get back to work. I run the electronics store not the move rental one. So the only person he’s going to need to see is you.” I whispered and I started to stand but she grabbed my arm making me sit back down.

 

“Then we’re just sit here for a little while until you’re ready to tell me the real reason why you don’t want to try.” Julie stated and I could see that I was going to lose this argument too.

 

“You are the most stubborn outspoken girl I’ve ever met.” I snapped and she smiled.

 

“You still love me though.” She joked rubbing my arm seductively.

 

“Well of course, but you’re low on my list right now.” I rolled my eyes and she left her hand on my arm.

 

“You don’t have much of a list since you started shutting people out of your life.” She stated evenly and I knew where this talk was going. We had these discussions from time to time and I just wanted out, but I knew if I didn’t sit through it now then she’d get me with it later.

 

“I’m not shutting people out or I’d do that with you.” I offered shrugging like I didn’t care so maybe she’d drop it.

 

“Then why haven’t you called Matt, Becky, or Rick?” She asked fuming.

 

“Because they stopped calling me.” I groaned, I had lost a lot of friends over my parents messy divorce.

 

“They asked about you last night.” Julie stated sternly and I could tell she was getting frustrated.

 

“They know where I am. They haven’t come to see mom either.” I snapped gathering up our trash.

 

“Well it’s hard to go see someone that’s in that condition. You can’t stop living just because of this.” Julie countered crossing her arms.

 

“I’m not going to discuss this here with you.” I growled standing and she stood too.

 

“See you later kids.” Linda announced and we waved tossing our trash on the way out.

 

“Your mother wouldn’t want you..” Julie started but I turned to look at her.

 

“Don’t go there.” I ordered yanking my keys out of my pocket. “Give me back my phone.”

 

“Come on Charlie you have to come to terms that..” She started but I got in shutting the door my mood ruined.

 

“You know what Charlie I give up.” Julie groaned getting in slamming my phone into my hand.

 

“Good.” I snapped and she crossed her arms.

 

“You know what you’re not the only one that gave up things.” She whispered and I slammed the car in gear and sped off.

 

“I thought you were giving up.” I huffed switching gears.

 

“I’m not going to tell you how to run your life, but when you find yourself alone at a point in your life when you need someone to pick your ugly ass off the ground there won’t be anyone.” Julie explained in a voice I never personally heard from her. It was a mixture of anger and worry that she had never used when talking to me and I felt like shit, but I wasn’t ready to break down and let her know she was right. I wanted to be stubborn and still have hope that things will some how turn out to be better than what they are right now.

 

“Well um, I’m sorry that we had to fight.” I apologized not knowing that to say after what she had just told me.

 

“We didn’t fight.” She forced a smile and she patted me on the leg.

 

“Then I’m sorry that I’m a pain in the ass.” I offered and she smiled.

 

“Stop apologizing.” She ordered and I parked the car then I turned to look at her.

 

“Did they really ask about me?” I asked curiously.

 

“They do every time they see me.” Julie answered and I nodded.

 

“Well I guess I could make an attempt to call them some time.” I compromised and she smiled.

 

“Well there is still Derek that said he’d be here.” Julie stated and I nodded.

 

“That we aren’t getting into again.” I shook my head when I saw her eyes narrow.

 

“Then maybe you two just need a little push.” She whispered and I locked the doors not letting her out.

 

“Don’t touch that lock.” I ordered and she giggled slightly.

 

“A little push is all people need he won’t even..” She started but I put my hand over her mouth shutting her up.

 

“That is where you’re going to change your mind right now. You will let him rent movies. Take his money and then tell him to have them back in three days and that’s it.” I ordered and she rolled her eyes. “Say yes.” She then crossed her arms and I took my hand off her mouth laughing at my stupidity. She then unlocked the door and rushed out.

 

“Never!” She screamed then ran into the store me after her. We both stopped as soon as we seen Kathy standing with a customer who both looked amused.

 

“Back from lunch, well you have some things to attend to in there Julie.” Kathy stated pointing to the door that led to the movie part.

 

“Sorry that we disturbed you.” Julie apologized quickly then stuck her tongue out at me leaving the room. I tried to mouth to her that I would kill her if she tried anything, but stopped when Kathy narrowed her eyes in my direction then nodded to the desk where some one had brought in their computer for me to work on.

 

“How can I help you Miss?” I asked sitting down.

 

“Charlie, my computer just crashed and I don’t know what happened.” She responded and I filled out the report. I then gave her the date in which I would start working on the problem there was a long line of things ahead of this one that I needed to work on and she smiled and left.

 

“So, how was lunch?” Kathy asked after she waved at the person she had been talking to when we had interrupted them.

 

“It was lunch.” I answered and she nodded.

 

“Um, Charlie there is someone in here to see you.” Julie said at the door after clearing her throat.

 

“Well then tell them that he’s in here Julie then get back to your desk.” Kathy ordered lightly. She was used to Julie not being where she was supposed to be and I had to force myself to calm down when Derek entered the room looking confused.

 

“Hey Derek come in.” I greeted as he didn’t move after walking through the door.

 

“Hi Charlie.” He greeted and walked over to my desk and smiled politely. Then I looked over at Kathy who was looking at us both and she then excused herself and went into the movie part to go bother Julie.

 

“So I see that Julie really did call you.” I announced and he laughed.

 

“Yeah she did.” He answered and then we fell into a short pause.

 

“Well uh, I’m sorry she bothered you.” I apologized thinking that I had to do that a lot today.

 

“Don’t I was bored anyway.” Derek shook his hand and I smirked.

 

“So you came here for entertainment?” I asked looking around at this place.

 

“Well and to rent some movies.” Derek stated and I looked down at the bag he held up. He had three D.V.D’s and I offered him a seat and he took it. We were both sitting behind my desk.

 

“How’s your friend?” I asked and he started laughing.

 

“Well he’s a little sore from his flushing out.” Derek responded and I grimaced and started laughing until our eyes met and I couldn’t force myself to look away and he had made no attempt to look away from me either.

 

“Well I need to be getting back to work.” I announced after I forced myself to stop staring at him blushing.

 

“Yeah I need to get back to the hotel to watch these.” Derek responded and I snapped my head around to look at him.

 

“You’re staying at a hotel?” I asked looking at him. “I thought you were staying at a friends house?”

 

“Well when I got that friend drunk off his ass they sort of kicked me out.” He frowned and I shook my head.

 

“Well um, I’m all by myself at home since my mom is at the hospital.” I stated not knowing why I had.

 

“How is your mom?” He asked immediately.

 

“She’s not going to get to come home.” I answered and he frowned briefly and then scratched his head with his free hand.

 

“Well I’m sorry to hear that.” He announced and I shook my head.

 

“Well how about you go pack your things and come stay with me instead of having to pay to stay in a hotel.” I offered and she smiled.

 

“I don’t want to be a problem for you.” He countered and I shook my head.

 

“You won’t be.” I offered and he smiled.

 

“Well then I’ll meet you back here in a couple of hours then. I need to go get packing back up again.” He announced and I waved bye to him as he walked out the door.

 

“See I didn’t even need to give you a push in the right direction you dog.” Julie coyly stated from the door.

 

“Julie back to your desk.” Kathy announced from behind her and she rolled her eyes then winked at me leaving me to work for the first time today.

Copyright © 2010 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..