Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 4,325 Words
  • 6,646 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Best Year - 13. Chapter 13

After we got home, the house had just begun to smell of overcooked food. Mom rushed into the house to see Dad fanning the oven with a dishtowel. The casserole sat neglected on the counter, the top of it a very dark brown. I watched, leaning against the wall as Mom inspected the casserole, poking at it with a spoon. From the smell, it was a chicken and broccoli concoction and I was glad I had already eaten.

“I think it is still good,” Mom commented as she spooned a couple of globs of the mess onto a plate.

“Where have you been?” Dad asked as he gave up on the oven and closed the door. He turned to study the both of us. I was still dressed in what I wore to the river, although I was mostly dry now. His eyebrow cocked and he pushed his glasses further up on his nose.

“Jackson apologized for missing work today,” Mom answered grimacing as she cooled the spoon full of food before she tentatively nibbled on it. “The chicken is dry.”

“You could have told me,” Dad countered crossing his arms. “I could have watched the casserole.”

“I know,” Mom added, “I’m sorry, it was a spur of the moment sort of thing.”

“Can I be excused?” I asked trying not to smirk or smile around them. I knew if I did, I would be sitting at the kitchen table forking down burned broccoli and dry chicken.

“Aren’t you hungry?” Dad asked eyeballing the ruined casserole. He didn’t look too enthusiastic about eating either, but he knew he had to stick around.

“He already ate,” Mom huffed glancing over at me. “Go ahead, you need a shower.”

“Thanks,” I said smiling as I turned the corner back into the living room.

After my shower I walked across the hallway into my room. I glanced at the closet door as I pulled on a pair of boxer briefs, after having two intruders I wasn’t taking any chances. I knew we all had school tomorrow and I had a little unfinished homework to do, so I walked over the the foot of the bed where I last put my school bag. I shuffled through it until I found my Calculus book. I grimaced as I walked over to my bed and sprawled out across it. I was preparing to put on some headphones, to ignore any possible summons from Mom and Dad, when I heard pebbles hitting my window.

Hearing them, my mind went back to the first time it happened. None of my friends would be as sneaky or careful. They would have barged right in after a quick knock on the door. Even if Mom or Dad didn’t want to have company, they would always accept my friends with smiles and then excuse themselves to the bedroom for peace and quiet.

I knew Mom would welcome Luke in without any hesitation. My heart seemed to quicken in my chest when another couple of small rocks tapped against my window then rolled down the roof into the gutters. If I wasn’t the one that usually cleaned them out, I would wonder how the fuck stray rocks would have gotten there. Especially since our driveway had been paved for longer than I remembered.

Crawling out of the bed I walked over to the window. It was still pretty light out and I wondered why he didn’t just knock on the door. It would be unlikely that I could sneak out of the house right now. I didn’t see him standing there though and for a moment my stomach tightened, and I held a breath. I had expected him to be looking up at me, to wave me down to meet him. I began to think I had moved too slowly, that he had lost his nerve and turned around and walked back home.

Not wanting to miss him I grabbed a pair of shorts. I had only put on my boxer briefs and didn’t think either of us needed me to show up mostly naked. When I got to the top of the stairs, I heard the living room television on. Frowning I walked down the stairs, not caring if they heard me. When I got to the bottom stair Dad and Mom broke out of their cuddling to turn their heads to look back at me.

“I…” I started grabbing hold of the handrail until my knuckles whitened. No lie came to mind when I saw them looking at me. Usually they would fall out of my mouth without much prompting. I was good at this. I didn’t know how long I would be, so a lie that would give me time would have been best.

“Is something wrong, dear?” Mom asked reaching up to rest her elbow on the back of the couch.

“No,” I answered reaching up with my other hand to scratch the back of my hand. “Can I go for a walk?”

“You’re not wearing any shoes,” Dad pointed out and I glanced down at my bare feet.

“It will be just around the yard, I’m stumped on an English paper and thought I could do better outside with uh, with the thinking,” I countered feeling my face flush. They both studied me for a moment or two, but then Dad nodded offering me a small smile. I guess they figured since I didn’t have any shoes or a shirt, I couldn’t really go too far.

“Good luck,” Mom offered as I quickly walked around the back of the couch to the front door. I didn’t wait around for anymore questions.

As I opened the door, the warm humid air took my breath away. Looking around I jumped when I saw Luke huddled in the corner out of the light from the front windows. I quickly closed the door behind me, and he held up his finger to quiet me. I closed my mouth and nodded as he waved for me to follow him. Seeing him there dried my throat and caused my palms to clam up. I had to swallow a few times and I hoped the first time I talked that my voice didn’t crack. I hadn’t wanted to see anyone of them so soon after my embarrassing apology at the park. I saw that he didn’t seem smug or angry. I thought maybe he had wanted to talk about other things. It didn’t help calm my nerves any though, whatever we would talk about would be difficult. I still hadn’t been able to wrap my head around the kiss and wanting to hold him. I didn’t want to admit that I wanted to latch onto him and keep him there until he knew I wasn’t angry about the kiss. It had been him to break the hug in the pool, I hadn’t been ready. I didn’t know why.

“I think I’m going to be sick,” I hissed, and he glanced over his shoulder as he led me into the tree line.

“Shhh,” he whispered holding branches out of our way. He was dressed in a white t-shirt, a black pair of shorts, and sneakers. I kept stepping on sharp rocks and acorns, cursing under my breath.

“Why are you here?” I asked not liking the silence between us. We were far enough away from the house not to be overheard and I didn’t want to walk barefoot in the forest. What little light was left from the setting sun disappeared under the canopy above our heads. The forest was also eerily quiet, no birds, no crickets. There were fireflies illuminating in small clusters, their golden glow at least made me feel a little calmer.

“I wanted to talk to you,” he answered stopping in a small clearing. There was a hole in the canopy where a large tree should have been.

“I have school in the morning and homework to do,” I countered crossing my arms over my chest. My skin felt sticky from the humid air. If I stayed out here much longer I would want to take another shower.

“So do I,” he said turning to face me. His face was a mix of shadows and waning light. I couldn’t see his eyes enough to read them and I wanted to take a few steps closer to him. I stayed where I was though and when he crossed his arms too I heard him sigh. “Mom caved on letting me go to your school. I have orientation tomorrow at Noon.”

“Really?” I asked letting my arms fall to my side. “That’s great.”

“Is it?” He asked his arms still crossed. “I thought it would be, now I’m freaking out.”

“I didn’t think ole Cindy had it in her to break,” I added trying to ease some of the tension that I felt.

“She worried that I wouldn’t be ready for college if I didn’t go,” he said taking a step forward.

“I won’t bug you at school,” I offered swallowing at the shorter distance between the two of us. It was still too dark to see him so I took a step forward as well. Then another. I only stopped when he fell silent and went completely still.

“I know,” he countered, his voice a little shaky. “Look what happened in the pool the other night…”

“I don’t know what that was,” I interrupted in a rush. “I won’t tell anybody; you don’t have to worry about that.”

“I’m not,” he said, and I thought I saw him smile as he turned his head momentarily looking away. I didn’t know what he was thinking, but I didn’t have a good feeling about the way he started talking about the other night. It made my stomach drop and my heart to quicken again. I had never felt this nervous, not even before I climbed onto the starting podium and awaited the starting horn during my first swimming match. I was so sure I was over matched by the other swimmers that it had nearly psyched me out already. I finished third in the individual medley though and I hadn’t looked back.

“Then what were you going to say?” I asked looking up at the hole in the canopy. I could make out the first few stars to light the sky after it got dark enough to see them.

“I,” he started then fell silent. “Were you really with your friends?”

“Mom wouldn’t have dragged my ass out to the park if I wasn’t,” I answered turning to face him. I smiled when I heard him laugh. It seemed to ease some of the tension between us, but that only lasted until he stopped. “Why?”

“I didn’t want you to come to work,” he whispered, and I silently cursed the darkness. If it was still light out, I knew I wouldn’t be this nervous about being out here. I liked being able to read people’s faces. I was good at it or thought I was until I met Luke, he confused the fuck out of me.

“I was going to come,” I countered chewing on my bottom lip. “I wanted to see you, to see if you were freaking out as much as I was.”

“I am,” he said seeming to stand on his tip toes. “Why did you kiss me back?”

“I wanted to,” I answered the words falling out of my mouth before I could think. “I didn’t want you thinking that when you kissed me, that I…”

“That you what?” He prompted when I fell silent.

“That I, fuck I don’t know,” I hissed crossing my arms. “I don’t know.”

“I’m sorry,” he said, and I stiffened when he placed his hand on my crossed arms.

“About what?” I asked feeling a knot form at the back of my throat. I swallowed hard trying to calm myself down so that I could talk.

“For kissing you,” he answered letting his hand fall back to his side. I watched him look around, I could almost sense that he was about to leave me standing there in the middle of the forest.

“No you’re not,” I countered taking a step forward.

“Why can’t I be?” He asked reaching up to scratch the back of his head. “Do you know what it means for me to want to kiss you? To have liked it?”

“What?” I asked my face getting hot. Now that the sun had set some of the mugginess had left the air.

“That I’m gay,” he answered his voice barely a whisper.

“Is that a surprise to you?” I asked reaching out, I grabbed his shoulder to keep him from turning away or leaving.

“Don’t,” he hissed pulling his shoulder out of my grasp. “I am so scared of you.”

“Don’t be,” I whispered grabbing his shoulder again. “Don’t be scared of me.”

When I went to pull him into a hug, he stepped out of it, shaking his head. I let my arms fall back to my sides. He was breathing heavily, and I wanted to be anywhere else but here facing him while he fell apart. I had hoped he would have already done that, like I had, before this night between us happened.

“I can’t be gay,” he hissed still shaking his head. “This is not what I want.”

“What do you want then?” I asked trying to calm him down and get his mind off things.

“I want,” he started then let out a violent sigh. “I don’t know.”

“Name anything,” I countered wanting to close the distance he created between us.

“I want to get a tattoo,” he answered throwing his arms into the air. “I want to graduate at a normal high school, I want to go to prom.”

“You can do all that,” I said shrugging my shoulders. “Unless you fuck up pretty bad you’ll graduate for sure, right?”

“I want to go see the Grand Canyon,” he continued turning to look at me. He no longer seemed to be shrinking away from me, so I took a small step towards him. “I want to own a puppy, to go horseback riding, to swim with sharks, to shoot a gun.”

“Why haven’t you?” I asked when he stopped talking.

“I don’t want to do that alone,” he said his voice cracking and this time he did let me wrap him into a hug.

“I’ll do them with you, I promise,” I offered feeling him begin to cry into my shoulder. He smelled of shampoo and deodorant. A hint of mint toothpaste and his hair was damp from a shower or from sweating.

“Sky diving?” He asked and I felt his eyelashes flutter against my neck. It sent a shiver down my spine, but I smiled.

“Maybe not that,” I answered, and he laughed. “Bungee jumping?”

“Yeah, sure,” he said breaking the embrace. I watched him wipe his face with his hands and then rub his hands on his shorts. “What about you?”

“I’m thinking you better not swim with sharks,” I said trying not to laugh. “They might mistake you for a drowning seal.”

“Shut up,” he said shaking his head. “What do you want?”

“I’ve already gotten what I want,” I answered shrugging. “I’ve gotten into a good college with a swimming scholarship. I’m getting out of this shithole town someday, that’s what I want.”

“Isn’t there something?” He asked his voice stronger now. “It would be sad to have everything you want already.”

“I don’t know,” I answered shaking my head. I didn’t want to tell him that what I wanted, was to not leave this forest without kissing him goodnight. I didn’t want to think about what that meant either, I knew if I did, it would ruin everything. As long as I wasn’t thinking, then everything I felt made sense. It made sense that he was the one person standing in front of me that I was ever really afraid of. He threatened to shatter everything I’ve built my entire life. If I kissed him again it would only prove that he was the one thing that could.

“Yes, you do,” Luke countered no longer hiding his frustration with me. “For someone that likes to talk, you don’t say much.”

“I don’t know what I want!” I yelled taking a step back breathing heavily. When he didn’t look away, I wanted to punch him, I wanted to push him away. I didn’t want him to witness the lie that I knew my body would give away if he didn’t turn around and leave. “Okay?”

“Sure,” he countered shrugging.

“Why can’t you be gay?” I asked trying to get the pressure off me and back onto him where it was easier.

“I just can’t,” he answered crossing his arms.

“But you are, aren’t you?” I asked squinting against the darkness of the forest.

“You kissed me,” he said finally looking away. “What does that make you?”

“Nothing,” I answered, and he shot me a glare.

“Then why must I be gay?” He asked letting his hands fall to his sides. “If you can be nothing and kiss me and feel something for me, why do I have to be gay?”

“Why can’t you be gay?” I asked as he started pacing. “What’s so bad…”

“Don’t,” he said stopping his pacing to glare at me. “You know why I can’t be gay, just look around. We’re here standing in a forest because I can’t bring you home. I can’t bring you home because I’m afraid my parents would know why I wanted you there. I can’t go home with you because I…”

“Because you what?” I asked feeling my heart hammering in my chest.

“Because I don’t even know if you want me,” he answered his voice trailing to a whisper. “I thought that kiss in the pool might have cleared that up for you, for me.”

“And it hasn’t,” I added shaking my head. “So, what now?”

I looked at him, he seemed to be shrinking away from me. Ready to run back home. I doubted he would even want to see me after tonight and I hated that my legs wanted to close the distance. That I wanted to wrap him into a hug that would give him some comfort. That I wanted to kiss him, to smell him, to admit to myself that I might have finally woke up to what I really wanted. That everything else would just be icing on my fucking cake if I could feel like this for a while longer. That maybe I had been fooling myself my entire life and I had done such a good job at it that I let one kiss in a pool derail everything I had planned. And I still was too afraid to think about whether I wanted it to or not.

“I need to get home,” he said glancing up at the stars through the hole of the canopy. “They will start to wonder where I’ve gone.”

“Yeah,” I said, “I told my Mom that I was going for a walk to help with an English paper.”

“Well, goodnight,” he said not turning to leave me in the small clearing.

“Kiss me,” I whispered feeling myself take an involuntary step towards him.

“What?” He asked, but I could see him weighing his options as he slowly shifted his weight on his feet. His left towards home and his right towards me.

“I told you to kiss me,” I answered through the dryness of my throat. I swallowed a few times then tried to even out my breathing.

“What would that do?” He asked waving his hand between us. “I already told you that I can’t be…”

“Just shut the fuck up and kiss me,” I hissed my hands balling up into fists at my sides.

Then before I could think he closed the distance and I felt the tension leave my body when he wrapped his hands around me. Our arms jostled as I tried to free them from his embrace so I could return the hug and in the darkness our foreheads crashed together as we searched for one another’s lips. Instead of hugging him, I guided his face to mine with my hands and when our lips touched the entire day went away. The worrying about the park and what Luke was thinking. What Cindy would see through her sharp-eyed glare. That embarrassing as fuck apology Mom made me suffer through. I knew what I wanted as soon as I had him back in my arms and when I felt him relax into the kiss, I heard myself moan.

Which ended the kiss as he took a step back. When he laughed, I saw him shaking his head, but his eyes seemed brighter, even in the darkness. More focused and less strained than they were when I remembered him hiding behind his mother’s shoulder.

“What was that?” He asked his amusement made my face flush.

“I don’t know, shut up,” I answered, and he laughed loud enough to scare some birds from their roosts in the trees around us.

“I can’t be gay,” he said falling silent. “I can’t be.”

“Just be Luke,” I said reaching out for him. “Be Luke and I’ll be Jackson.”

“So you’ll continue to be a privileged butt?” He asked stepping into my arms.

“If you’ll continue to be an annoying bible boy, that sneaks R-rated movies,” I countered feeling him laughing against me. “I’ll guess I’ll give it a shot.”

“What if we’re caught,” he said, and I felt his eyelashes flutter across my neck as he looked up towards my jawline. I felt my jaws clench and my arms loosen. I didn’t have an answer for him, I had never had to hide anything from anyone.

“We’re not gonna talk about that,” I said tightening my grip again. “Okay?”

“Okay,” he said, and I broke the hug.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” I said offering him a small smile.

“I guess you will,” he said frowning.

I would see him tomorrow. From across the cafeteria as he entered for a quick lunch before he would finish up with his orientation. Cindy would be there, likely hoping I would show my ass again and give her another reason to keep him at home or ship him off to another bible school in a different county that actually had enough students to keep the doors open. I tried to reassure him with a smile, but he only managed a smirk as he turned and left me standing in the small clearing. I knew that everything that happened tonight was now on my shoulders to screw up and now that I wasn’t holding him or looking at him, I didn’t know whether or not to try. Luke seemed to realize that the ball was firmly in my court too and he had every right to doubt me. I doubted myself as I made my way back to the house. I just didn’t see this playing out good for either of us, not when it relied on me.

The next morning, I grimaced and slapped my alarm clock. Rolling over I scratched the back of my head and blinked until my eyes no longer felt heavy. After last night’s talk with Luke, I didn’t sleep well. That and I had homework that kept me up later than I expected it to. I had been lucky, Mom and Dad decided that I wasn’t going to bolt to some party and went to bed. I didn’t want to face any barrage of questions after returning home. I knew I would look more keyed up coming home than I did when I left for my walk in the first place.

I took a quick shower and dressed. I grabbed both my sports bag and my school bag and walked down the stairs. Like every morning, the smell of coffee burned my nostrils and made my stomach growl. Even if I did like the smell of the stuff, I didn’t like the bitter taste at all. Mom needed it to wake up in the mornings and I scanned the living room until I saw her sitting in Dad’s recliner drinking what had to be her first cup. She was usually more put together after her first one.

“Did you get your paper sorted out?” Mom asked offering me a small smile.

“Yeah,” I answered shrugging my shoulders. “I guess it will do.”

“Have some faith in yourself, Jackson,” she said waving the hand that wasn’t holding her cup of coffee. “You’re a great student.”

“Thanks,” I offered smiling as she pushed down the footrest of the recliner and awkwardly stood.

“Have a good day at school,” she said, and she kissed me on the cheek as she walked by me to head up the stairs to get dressed. “Straight home after practice, okay?”

“Yeah,” I answered and when she disappeared up the stairs I sighed and walked to the front door. I quickly unlocked it and swung it open. The nights were beginning to cool off a little, but it was still muggy, and a heavy dew made it look like it had rained sometime through the night. It was difficult to step down the stairs to my car knowing today could suck, and that I was the only person that could keep it from sucking. I just hoped I was enough. That the day would be okay if I remembered what I wanted and the promises that I made. If I did that, I could get through today and hope that the rest of them until I’m out of this shit hole town fell into place and be easier. This was supposed to be the best fucking year of my life, it was time to officially start it.

Copyright © 2017 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 65
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter, Krista! :D

 

The tension continues from last chapter - the wrecked casserole, the retreat upstairs only to be thwarted by homework, and the interaction with Luke. You've made Jackson quite a bit more self-knowing in this chapter. He's wise enough to tell Luke to just be himself and he'd do the same, but at the same time knowing it probably won't be enough. They both need to change to get to where they truly want to be. With a second kiss and a push towards perseverance and optimism, you seem to have ended the first arc. I am absolutely certain you are going to take us on quite the ride before it all ends, with all the problems they have left up in the air - problems that are going to cause heartache and ongoing issues with friends, family and probably the swim coach as well... :) Cheers!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I liked the fact that Luke also didn't want Jackson to be working at the park that day. They both know they have things to sort out and things to experience, but they're also both scared. Luke is probably more scared than Jackson, but Jackson isn't comfortable, either. As he said, he's never had to keep a secret before, at least not from his friends.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Great chapter! Finally I see Jackson with a heart! I feel bad for Luke's situation...I could only imagine how horrible his coming out would go with his mother. Have a feeling his father would react totally different...I think maybe he already knows. Jackson's advice to "just be Luke" was great advice. I'm just as afraid as Jackson is to have the ball in his court! I don't think he's at the point where he's mature enough not to fuck it up. Have a feeling there are gonna be A LOT of bumps ahead.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

It was interesting seeing Luke being unsure and insecure. He's been the most open to vulnerability of the two, but mostly because he seemed the most confident in who he really was. Maybe that's why Jackson was so afraid of him--he knew (or thought he knew) that Luke already had this whole game figured out and was light years ahead of him. I think this puts them on even ground.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I really enjoyed this chapter a lot.

 

Others have done a good job covering a lot of the same points I liked. What stood out for me the most was Jackson becoming more aware of how he feels about Luke. He actually does care about Luke's feelings, and he's also recognizing that he wants to have Luke in his life. He hasn't accepted the capacity in which he wants him but the feelings are there.

 

Also I guess it was for the best that Jackson didn't go to the park that day. Before I had been critical of that, partly cause I thought it would hurt Luke's feelings. But, since it turns out that Luke was just as hesitant as Jackson about seeing each other after the kiss, it turned out okay. I'm just glad Jackson didn't let him walk away this time.

 

There's definitely tension as Jackson realizes this thing building between them is largely hinging on his actions. What will he do? Hope it doesn't involve stringing the girl along as cover. I guess we'll find out.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Just be Luke and Jackson. That's a good start. Just remember they way you kiss each other. Just take the time to realize what good friends you could become, what experiences you can share. Just live into what could easily be the year you both grow into who you were meant to be. The best year. What an excellent chapter, and a setup for the inevitable changes to come.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I was not prepared for how awesome this chapter was, and it was so awesome!
That its Jackson who says 'Just be Luke and I'll be Jackson.' thrills me to no end. I mean, this is great development of a character whom we had no faith in at first. Look how far he's come, not that he isn't still prone to foolishness.. And Luke! Both boys are being so vulnerable. Honestly admitting to how unsure and scared they feel, Jackson reassuring Luke. I was kind of glad that Luke didn't have a better handle on how he was feeling. This sort of puts them on a more even keel with each other.
All that aside, it's just them now. I am so worried how things will go once school starts and the friends are in the mix. Buckle in?
Well done Krista!
ps: will be back with a like.....

  • Like 3
Link to comment

JUST found the story. Red the whole bunch in one day. Amazing!!!! I am so thankful!!! Thanks for a slow and very well constructed journey. I'm looking so so so much forward to the next chapter!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 07/11/2016 08:26 AM, janus said:

JUST found the story. Red the whole bunch in one day. Amazing!!!! I am so thankful!!! Thanks for a slow and very well constructed journey. I'm looking so so so much forward to the next chapter!

Hey! Thanks for reading, I'm glad you found the story and like it so far. :) Hopefully the next chapter will be out soon.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/08/2016 02:02 AM, Defiance19 said:

I was not prepared for how awesome this chapter was, and it was so awesome!

That its Jackson who says 'Just be Luke and I'll be Jackson.' thrills me to no end. I mean, this is great development of a character whom we had no faith in at first. Look how far he's come, not that he isn't still prone to foolishness.. And Luke! Both boys are being so vulnerable. Honestly admitting to how unsure and scared they feel, Jackson reassuring Luke. I was kind of glad that Luke didn't have a better handle on how he was feeling. This sort of puts them on a more even keel with each other.

All that aside, it's just them now. I am so worried how things will go once school starts and the friends are in the mix. Buckle in?

Well done Krista!

ps: will be back with a like.....

Thanks for reading! Starting out I was sincerely worried about this chapter. It was the anticipatory chapter after the cliffhanger in the pool... lol. I felt like I fumbled my way through it too, so it is nice that you like it. I was expecting the worst!

 

This is new territory for the both of them, or it seems new to them both, so I can see why they're both vulnerable. :) I'm glad you see them more evened out now as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/05/2016 10:06 PM, Parker Owens said:

Just be Luke and Jackson. That's a good start. Just remember they way you kiss each other. Just take the time to realize what good friends you could become, what experiences you can share. Just live into what could easily be the year you both grow into who you were meant to be. The best year. What an excellent chapter, and a setup for the inevitable changes to come.

Hey! What a lovely review. So much optimism for them both in the future made me smile and feel all... mushy inside. Almost makes me not want to be the eeeevil author that I can be.. lol.

 

Change isn't easy though and they have a lot of changing to do... well not changing, just.. shaping the world in which they want to live in. So that is definitely in their future. :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/05/2016 08:19 AM, spikey582 said:

I really enjoyed this chapter a lot.

 

Others have done a good job covering a lot of the same points I liked. What stood out for me the most was Jackson becoming more aware of how he feels about Luke. He actually does care about Luke's feelings, and he's also recognizing that he wants to have Luke in his life. He hasn't accepted the capacity in which he wants him but the feelings are there.

 

Also I guess it was for the best that Jackson didn't go to the park that day. Before I had been critical of that, partly cause I thought it would hurt Luke's feelings. But, since it turns out that Luke was just as hesitant as Jackson about seeing each other after the kiss, it turned out okay. I'm just glad Jackson didn't let him walk away this time.

 

There's definitely tension as Jackson realizes this thing building between them is largely hinging on his actions. What will he do? Hope it doesn't involve stringing the girl along as cover. I guess we'll find out.

Thanks for reading! It was my plan to have them rush into a kiss then have distance. I think it is normal for something shocking to put a bit of.. distance between two people. Especially two people scared to death of what happens next...

 

And as the author.. I knew this chapter was coming up next, lol. :D The forest scene was supposed to be at the end of chapter 12, but chapter 12 ran too long and I didn't want to drag it out with that scene. So I decided towards the middle of chapter twelve to just breathe and let the story flow... and it just happened that forest scene didn't fit anymore. :)

 

Luke is just as scared, but for now they are willing to be in the same boat at least. :D Let's hope it doesn't sink.. lol.

 

Ally will become more central in the next few chapters, not going to lie.. I'm confused about what I want from her.. what the story needs her to be... and how central I want her to be.

 

Hopefully I'll get that ironed out.. :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/05/2016 03:01 AM, Dayne Mora said:

It was interesting seeing Luke being unsure and insecure. He's been the most open to vulnerability of the two, but mostly because he seemed the most confident in who he really was. Maybe that's why Jackson was so afraid of him--he knew (or thought he knew) that Luke already had this whole game figured out and was light years ahead of him. I think this puts them on even ground.

Thanks for reading! I think Luke is more stable at where he is than Jackson... but neither of them expected to be where they are now. I think they're both reeling right now - as a person, I would either fight for normalcy or dive into the change..

 

I think they're still on the fence where that is concerned... but they definitely are on even ground with this new development between them, I agree. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/05/2016 12:38 AM, jaysalmn said:

Great chapter! Finally I see Jackson with a heart! I feel bad for Luke's situation...I could only imagine how horrible his coming out would go with his mother. Have a feeling his father would react totally different...I think maybe he already knows. Jackson's advice to "just be Luke" was great advice. I'm just as afraid as Jackson is to have the ball in his court! I don't think he's at the point where he's mature enough not to fuck it up. Have a feeling there are gonna be A LOT of bumps ahead.

Thanks for reading! I think Jackson is just as scared to have the ball in his court too.. lol. :D He certainly doesn't have a good record with Luke so far. Maybe that will change some... but it will definitely take a lot of effort on his part.

 

I'm glad you see him in a slightly better light. :) Maybe he'll keep that light and maybe he won't.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/04/2016 05:10 PM, Graeme said:

I liked the fact that Luke also didn't want Jackson to be working at the park that day. They both know they have things to sort out and things to experience, but they're also both scared. Luke is probably more scared than Jackson, but Jackson isn't comfortable, either. As he said, he's never had to keep a secret before, at least not from his friends.

Thanks for reading!

 

I think it is safe to say that something has to give or the entire thing will shatter around all the characters. Or maybe I'm seeing it differently, but I think the turning point happened in this chapter... that whatever happens after these scenes determines what the story is..

 

Shew lots of pressure I just put on myself.. lol.

 

Like I said in a different review, I felt like I fumbled my way through this chapter. Definitely thought the reviews were going to be a wee bit different, not going to lie. lol.

 

I just hope the characters keep their strengths and don't crumble. Jackson is supposed to be willing to dive in head first and be stubborn to a fault.. Luke is supposed to be self-assured and have this calm intelligence about his situations... etc.

 

That's how I see them anyway.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/04/2016 02:29 PM, Lux Apollo said:

Great chapter, Krista! :D

 

The tension continues from last chapter - the wrecked casserole, the retreat upstairs only to be thwarted by homework, and the interaction with Luke. You've made Jackson quite a bit more self-knowing in this chapter. He's wise enough to tell Luke to just be himself and he'd do the same, but at the same time knowing it probably won't be enough. They both need to change to get to where they truly want to be. With a second kiss and a push towards perseverance and optimism, you seem to have ended the first arc. I am absolutely certain you are going to take us on quite the ride before it all ends, with all the problems they have left up in the air - problems that are going to cause heartache and ongoing issues with friends, family and probably the swim coach as well... :) Cheers!

Thanks for reading!

 

Wrecked casseroles are a sin! lol.

 

I think the characters needed to see one another in a different light. They were doing a bit of dancing around so far, so this second private interaction may have did them in as far as the awkward dancing is concerned. :P

 

And yes, I wouldn't be an evil entity we called "authors" if I didn't take you guys on a bit of a ride towards the conclusion of the story. :D Have faith in me a little bit though, I don't foresee anything too too too bad. lol.

 

There actually is a lot that goes on in the next chapter.. and I think Jackson's world is about to be a bit more messed up than what he expected. ;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I was pleased that Jackson was the one who wanted the kiss when they were in the forest by his house. That surprised me It also surprised me when Luke said, "I can't be gay." (not sure if that was his exact words) I really thought he knew he was, and he was comfortable with it.

 

I agree with Jay; I think Luke's dad will be fine with Luke's sexuality, but of course Cindy will freak out. Stupid bitch. lol

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 7/13/2016 at 11:12 PM, Krista said:

I think it is safe to say that something has to give or the entire thing will shatter around all the characters. Or maybe I'm seeing it differently, but I think the turning point happened in this chapter... that whatever happens after these scenes determines what the story is..

Shew lots of pressure I just put on myself.. lol.

Like I said in a different review, I felt like I fumbled my way through this chapter. Definitely thought the reviews were going to be a wee bit different, not going to lie. lol.

I just hope the characters keep their strengths and don't crumble. Jackson is supposed to be willing to dive in head first and be stubborn to a fault.. Luke is supposed to be self-assured and have this calm intelligence about his situations... etc.

That's how I see them anyway.

This chapter (maybe in combo with 12) are totally the turning points.   Somehow,  you knew!  (oh  wait,  this is your story,  maybe you  read ahead.)

I hope your characters don't crumble too!  I feel they do better as sticky and tough than crumbly. 

Edited by Mattyboy
  • Like 1
Link to comment

For 65,000 to 70,000 words, Jackson is the dumbest mudderfudger I've ever seen in my life and then he busts out with this:

“I can’t be gay,” he said falling silent. “I can’t be.”  “Just be Luke,” I said reaching out for him. “Be Luke and I’ll be Jackson.”

Yes! Why can't it be that simple? Why does everyone need labels so badly? In two of my favorite stories, It Started With Brian and Crosscurrents, both based on true events, men who are not gay, allow themselves to fall in love with and be with a gay man.

Apropos of nothing specific in this story, but some hints of maybe, but are staples of gay fiction, here are my three biggest pet peeves.

1) Christians (church people) are virulently anti-gay, sometimes violently so - I've been a Christian and church goer my whole life and still attend church with my partner to whom I am legally married. We are intimately involved in the church and welcomed.

2) Two boys in love are incapable of hiding their love for each other and everyone will know - No one in middle school or high school ever suspected I was anything but the straightest boy in the school and the same went for the many boys I'd been with and shared feelings with.

3) A gay/bi boy can't shower with other naked boys 'cuz he'll pop wood - I started playing skin flute with neighbor boys and a cousin when I was 12 and none of us ever popped wood in the showers despite the fact that we looked.

Edited by PrivateTim
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I sympathize with Luke here. He’s scared of his sexuality. As a teen a while back, I started having feelings for guys in my middle/high school and it scared me because in church they’ve always said it’s sinful. I’d assume Luke’s church and parents have a similar mindset. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, RichardWrites said:

I sympathize with Luke here. He’s scared of his sexuality. As a teen a while back, I started having feelings for guys in my middle/high school and it scared me because in church they’ve always said it’s sinful. I’d assume Luke’s church and parents have a similar mindset. 

One of the things both of my gay friends have said, they never really felt the pressure from Religious people. They were never all that religious to begin with and belonged to families that at most.. did Easter and Christmas. What they told me was, they put so much pressure on themselves,  and most of the fear came from failing the expectations that were placed on them. They are both male, they were more scared of not hitting milestones, marriage to a woman, having kids, being in a stable home that they own, etc. Saying that... those expectations, especially from family is what scared them more than the blatant homophobia. To them that was all secondary, still a cause of fear and stress, but the different expectations for their lives dominated their minds more.

They both had terrible coming out stories though. They were right to be afraid, as it turned out. That is mostly why I'm here.

Thank you for sharing bits of yourself here though. :) We all hope for the days where there isn't fear of that nature. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..