Jump to content
    Libby Drew
  • Author
  • 3,300 Words
  • 3,252 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Gay Authors 2009 Novella Contest Entry

State of Mind - 11. Chapter 11

Handcrafted stone walls and cypress trees lined the road to Valldemossa. Such a serene setting was sure to put Graviel on edge. He no doubt expected an ambush of some sort. Roman exited the limousine when it rolled to a stop outside the restaurant and breathed in the fragrant air. He dismissed his driver with a wave. "Remember, Keev," he said as he smoothed a hand down his coat. "Vigilance."

"Do you expect Graviel to let his shields slip in front of you?" Keev mumbled. He tapped a cigarette free from a silver case.

"Yes."

The answer, he saw, gave Keev pause. "My invitation makes sense now."

"Just now? Why am I not surprised?"

They entered the restaurant side-by-side. The maitre d' himself took their coats and led them across the room through a high archway into a smaller, more intimate space. Here, tall carved screens and groupings of potted plants gave the illusion of privacy. Dim lights threw shadows onto textured stucco walls.

Graviel rose to greet them, the surprise on his face masked in a heartbeat. The old man hadn't expected to see Keev, and he well knew the depth of the boy's Gifts. His worry was justified. Few could withstand Keev's empathic probes.

As they reached the table, Graviel turned and helped a woman to her feet. She was stunning, dressed in a strapless, floor-length black gown. Hair the color of spun gold was twisted into a chignon and fastened with a pearl-encrusted comb. It matched the strand ringing her throat. Icy blue eyes studied them both. They lingered on Roman.

"Graviel, you dog," Roman said, grinning like a wolf. "What is she, half your age?"

"That might be a bit generous," Keev threw in.

Graviel puffed up like a papa bear. "May I introduce Kaye Parks, my associate."

"My pleasure, gentlemen." Kaye held out one manicured hand.

Roman brushed a kiss across her knuckles. "The pleasure's all mine."

Keev cleared his throat. "I'm sure it is." He slid Kaye's chair out, and, with a final look at Roman, she slipped back into her seat. Roman smiled his approval when Keev was the first to extend his hand to Graviel.

Graviel held it in his own for several heartbeats. "Keev. It's been a long time."

"It has. How are you?"

"Well, thank you."

Fondness softened Graviel's features. Even after all these years, the fool held out hope that Keev would defect to his side. Bristling, Roman focused his attention on Kaye. "Wine, my dear?"

"No, thank you," she demurred. "I believe in keeping a clear head."

"You shouldn't give Roman such an opening, Kaye," Graviel said as he took his seat. "He enjoys his chauvinism act a bit too much."

The choked off sound that escaped Keev's throat made Roman's grip tighten on his wine. He tipped his glass at Graviel. Your point, old man.

Niceties concluded, the conversation lagged while the waiter poured fresh water and topped off their wine. Roman waited until the he'd settled the bottle back into the bucket and disappeared. "As much as I appreciate the venue, we should attend to business." He lowered his head, schooling his features to the appropriate level of anxiety. "There have been some disturbing developments."

Graviel's jaw clenched. "I didn't suspect I was at the top of your social calendar. What's happened?"

"I fear another attack is imminent."

"You have proof?"

"Only my intuition and the chatter my people are privy to. But the information comes from all corners of the globe, and from independent sources."

Kaye pressed her fingers to her lips. "Do you have any details?"

"Few." Roman flashed Kaye a confident smile. "But I won't allow another bloodbath. Whatever our previous disagreements, we must work together." Kaye's face flushed a soft pink.

Too easy. This was the enemy he'd spent so many years fearing? It was almost disappointing. He darted a glance at Keev to find the boy watching him, eyes narrowed in speculation. He relished his next words, anticipating the pain they would bring. "There's more. Your missing agents. They've joined the splinter group."

Graviel went statue-still, as if one move would shatter him. He bled denial from every pore. Keev's reaction was similar but not as desperate, and it held a touch of amusement. Kaye, however, nodded. Lips pressed into a bloodless line, she glared at Graviel. "I told you."

Keev took a slow, deep breath, and Roman knew he was picking up every nuance, every emotion, swirling through the air between them.

"No." Graviel thumped his fist on the table. "I won't believe it."

Roman shrugged. "That's your prerogative."

"No, it isn't!" Kaye rounded on Graviel. "How much evidence do you need? Would Aleck pointing a gun at you be convincing enough? He's not the man you thought he was. Accept it."

"I will not." His words, whisper-soft, carried enough power to rattle their silverware and spin the water in their goblets into tiny whirlpools. Kaye, used to such displays, Roman imagined, fell quiet, but her resentment was palpable. Disgraceful. Had Graviel's people no control?

"Suit yourself," Kaye said. "But the next time we cross paths, he won't get the benefit of my doubt. And I won't miss my next shot at Crist either."

Keev's reaction was a tightened grip on his napkin. Roman shot him a warning look. Murdering Graviel's new favorite pet would certainly strain relations. His temper tantrum would have to wait.

Keev swallowed once, twice, then made a show of straightening his place setting. "Moving on?"

Roman lifted his glass in a toast of agreement. "I believe it's time for a public show of our alliance. Hear me out," he implored when Graviel shook his head. "This group believes themselves to have two enemies. More importantly, two enemies who, well, let's not mince words, are enemies themselves. We must send a message." Roman shifted his attention to Kaye. "Together, we are stronger than they are. Do you not agree this could be a powerful deterrent to any further terrorism?"

"It would give them pause," Kaye said.

"And what have we to lose?" Roman asked. "I'll admit, I did not want to accept this partnership, but accept it I have." He leaned forward. "Let's make the most of our resources."

Graviel stroked his beard. His eyes bore into Roman. "What do you propose?"

"We bring our players together. Who knows how much serendipity we may create? How many of our people are already…friends?"

Graviel's eyes darted to Keev. "True."

"We cannot continue to circle each other in the dark and still hope to emerge the victors." This last he directed at Kaye, adding subdued desperation to his voice.

"He's right." Kaye laid a hand over Graviel's. A lock of hair slipped from her comb and swept her chest. It made her look, Roman thought, very young. Young enough to crave leadership for herself? The night was bearing unexpected fruit.

In the stillness that followed, Keev picked up his wine and held it to his lips. "I agree." He took a sip then set it down with a decisive plunk. "My father is right. We must work together."

Oh, well-played, son. Roman sensed victory close at hand. A den of lions wouldn't keep Graviel from his chance to take the elusive Keev under his wing. Sure enough…

"Very well." Graviel turned his palm in Kaye's and squeezed her fingers. "But I name the time and place."

Roman spread his hands in supplication. "I have no arguments." He raised his glass. "To a fresh start." Kaye beamed as she clinked her glass against his. Her blush had spread across the top of her breasts, and Roman made sure she noticed him take it in.

The first course arrived, and, as though their cooperation was already an art, all talk of business ceased until the dessert plates were cleared. Roman was watching Kaye when she went still and her eyes lost focus. So the child was hosting a Monitor. Forty years in the business and Graviel still played things too safe.

"I'm sorry," she said a moment later. "I'm afraid I have to leave."

Roman and Keev rose when she did. Graviel nodded.

Never one to let an opportunity pass, Roman took a gentle hold of her arm. "Allow me to escort you. Do you require a taxi?"

"Yes, thank you."

"Keev, play nice with our new friend," Roman purred as he led Kaye away. A glance over his shoulder confirmed that Graviel had already pounced on the boy. Stroke of genius, bringing him. And here, on his arm, the opportunity for another. "Kaye," he said, as he helped her slip into her wrap. "Please be careful. You and I know the truth. Aleck is dangerous. Crist even more so." He squeezed her shoulders in a loose embrace. "Keep yourself safe."

She shook his hand. "I will," she said, adding after a short pause, "You do the same."

"Until we meet again." He helped her into the car and shut the door.

*~*~*

Graviel had wooed Keev Petrova for two years, to no avail. Roman's lies corrupted the Organization's reputation beyond repair, and Keev never gave him a chance. Graviel still grieved for the boy; his empathic skills were unparalleled, and to have had his confidence and loyalty in this situation…

Useless fantasies. He watched Keev walk ahead of them on the path, unbothered by the veiled tension sparking between Roman and himself. Unbothered, but not unaware. And listening. Always listening.

Roman walked beside him, hands behind his back. At ease, but for thirty years of history between them. Still not so trusting, but who could blame him? The bench-lined path curved around a fountain, and even at this time of the evening it was busy, filled with people pouring out of the restaurant to enjoy the mild weather. "So strange," Graviel murmured.

"Strange?" Roman echoed.

Even after all these months, the sound of Roman's distinct voice at his elbow was startling. "To be here with you." Graviel motioned at the fountain. "At this place, celebrating a truce."

"Let's not go overboard," Roman said, and Graviel chuckled. That was the Roman Petrova he knew.

"Perhaps it's presumptuous. But I'd hoped, once the current crisis passes," Graviel stopped and waited for Roman to turn. He did, gaze wary. "I'd hoped we could continue what is so obviously a beneficial arrangement for us both."

Roman titled his head. "Let's see this through. When the time comes, I'd be willing to listen."

A twinge of distaste penetrated the wall Roman kept around his mind. At odds with his words, it derailed Graviel's reply. He pressed his mouth shut and nodded. A few steps later, he said, "Your son."

Roman's eyes rose from the ground to drill into Keev's back. "Yes?"

"Seems nothing like you."

"I imagine you're complimenting one of us," Roman said with a tight smile. "I just don't know who."

Graviel too watched Keev, but didn't comment. The boy's hands were slung into the pockets of his suit trousers. His jacket was unbuttoned, his tie loose. His attention shifted with lightning speed, from a child splashing in the fountain, to a couple kissing on a bench, to a baby crying in his mother's arms. "Unable to focus," Roman had described him months ago when Graviel had asked after his welfare. "And still happy to have turned you down."

Perhaps, but Roman saw what he wanted to – one of the major downfalls of always getting what one desired. Graviel, however, knew the truth: Keev didn't miss a trick.

"It pains me to say, but Keev is," Roman sighed, frowning at the ground, "a spoiled, privileged weakling whose primary concern is his next fuck."

As Graviel was still watching the spoiled weakling in question, he saw Keev's shoulders tense and his step falter. The boy was too far ahead to have heard the words, but not so far as to have missed the emotion behind them. A thrill raced through him at Roman's misstep. It wasn't much, perhaps, but an advantage it was. "Forgive me if I disagree."

"You're free to do as you like." The words masked a touch of impatience. A tactical retreat was in order. Graviel turned and held out his hand.

"I'll leave you now."

Never one to appreciate the moral high road, Roman nodded, but kept his arm at his side. The man hadn't an ounce of honor, Graviel decided. He dropped his hand, tipping his head in a curt farewell. "I'll be in contact about the arrangements."

He turned back up the path, leaving Roman and Keev to themselves.

*~*~*

Keev watched Graviel walk out of sight, his gait uneven, not as sure as it had been at the beginning of the night. Smirking, he chose a bench, lit a cigarette, and waited for his father. Roman took his time meandering up the path.

"Couldn't help baiting the old man, could you?" Keev asked, smoke leaking through his lips as he spoke. "Your new best friend." Said out loud, it sounded ridiculous. He choked on a laugh.

"What did you learn?" Roman took the seat beside him.

"Graviel is scared. Your accusation terrified him. He's losing control."

"And Ms. Parks?"

"Frustrated. Resentful. Her faith in Graviel is fading. And," Keev blew a ring of smoke into the air, "you captivate her."

"Excellent," Roman said, drawing the word out. He studied the people walking past, his semblance transmitting enough pretension that even those who noticed the scrutiny hurried by without challenging him. "Remember what I've taught you about weakness? Graviel's about to discover just how crippling it can be."

Keev rolled the cigarette between his fingers. "You don't sound very sympathetic."

This made Roman laugh out loud, a bitter, boisterous sound that startled those nearby. He met their eyes one by one until each scurried away. On the bench across the path, a nosy young woman looked longer than she should've. Keev felt her confusion as his father ripped into her thoughts. He gritted his teeth, averted his gaze, but movement in the corner of his eye drew his attention back. The girl dropped her book into her shoulder bag, walked across the path, and slid onto the bench beside Roman. When she put her hand on his knee, Roman sighed.

Keev's stomach roiled. "Must you?" he bit out.

"Weakness," Roman continued, "is what brings everyone down. Sooner or later." He kissed the girl's temple. She smiled at him with blank eyes. "A lesson you'd do well to remember."

"Meaning?"

Again his father ignored him. "Graviel is obsessed with Aleck Devlin."

"Your point?"

"Only this." Roman took the girl's hand and placed it in his lap. "It's what Graviel didn't say tonight that revealed the most. Especially as it's common knowledge that his young protégé is in hiding with your best friend." He sneered as the last two words left his mouth.

Keev shrugged. He pinched the butt between his fingers, then flicked it to the ground.

Roman's nostrils flared as he took a deep breath. "Graviel's world is crumbling. His lies are coming back to haunt him. The Organization is faltering, the Directorate scared."

"Good times," Keev replied. His urge to fidget was overpowering. Rather than light a second cigarette, he clasped his hands in his lap. "At least in the past you would've thought so."

"Oh, I don't know." Roman grinned. At his side, the girl fumbled at his trousers, openly fondling him now. "I rather like it."

"I'm sure," Keev muttered. "Yet it lends little stability to your situation."

"Doesn't it?"

There was so much unsaid in those two words. Disquiet niggled at Keev. "You want the Organization weakened?" he guessed.

"Oh Keev." Roman dislodged the girl's hand. She didn't make a sound, but sat staring into the distance. "There's so much you don't know. The question is, can I trust you?"

        

The questioning of his loyalty, while sudden, didn't startle Keev. He'd been expecting it just marginally longer than he'd been preparing his answer. Years. A lifetime. He couldn't help lamenting the loss of his freedom, though. Perhaps that was what his father was counting on.

"You ask this now?" he answered, following the script of their little game.

"You are my weakness, Keev. I haven't asked because there are answers I have no desire to hear."

Pensive, Keev tapped his fingers on the bench, pretending to mull his father's ridiculous words. He doubted Roman would miss him any more than he would one of his thousand pairs of shoes. He kept his voice light. "I often say I trust no one. A lie, of course."

Roman tilted his head in acknowledgment. No man was an island. No successful one, at least. He'd preached as much to Keev since childhood.

"It may be trite, but blood is thicker than water." Despite his father's substantial shields, Keev felt the pride that emanated from Roman. "But why now? Why are you asking me to choose sides when you've been content to let me play the neutral party for so long?"

"Fair question. If I answer, may I ask one of my own?"

Absolutely not, Keev ached to say. Roman had been conciliatory so far, but that wouldn't last. And lying to the man was suicide. He pursed his lips, but nodded.

Roman turned to the girl and whispered in her ear. Brow furrowed, she rose and went back to her bench, where she pulled out a cell phone and began punching numbers. Keev watched with interest. "What did you tell her to do?"

Roman's smile didn't reach his eyes. "Never you mind. Now, my answer." He looped an arm over the back of the bench and slid close. Keev forced himself to stay relaxed. "There's a battle coming. I hope to keep it bloodless, but fate often takes these decisions from us, doesn't she?"

Keev watched and waited.

"In the end, there will be no Organization. No agents. No Monitors." He leaned close. "Only me. And you, I hope." His eyelids drooped, heavy with promised pleasure. "I've grown tired of Graviel's interference these past few years."

The truth hit Keev like a physical blow to the stomach, pushing the air from his lungs. The puzzle piece he'd been missing clicked into place. He couldn't keep the surprise off his face. "There is no rebel faction of Gifteds."

Roman licked his lips. "My turn?"

"Yes," Keev said, despising the fine tremor in his voice.

"When push comes to shove, will your loyalty be with me or with Grier?" He tilted his head. "Do you care for him?"

"That's two questions."

Roman's mouth split into a wide, toothy grin. His eyes rolled back like a crocodile and he chuckled. "So it is. Well, then. Pick which one you want to answer."

Clever bastard. To buy time, Keev turned his eyes back to the girl. Silent tears poured down her cheeks. The phone was still pressed to her ear.

"I'll answer both," Keev said, turning to meet his father's startled gaze. "I suppose I care for him. He's magnificent in bed."

Roman's eyes flashed. Keev braced himself, but continued. "And that's about all he's good for, to be frank. My emotional connection stems from his cock sucking skills. I'm man enough to admit it."

He stood, brushing loose cigarette ash from his suit. "I don't appreciate having to choose sides, Father. But if it's necessary, then I stand with you. I always have.

Roman's rage ebbed, leaving Keev limp with relief. Roman stroked his chin with a leather-gloved hand. "Thank you, son. That's all I needed to know."

Which could mean a host of things. The most dangerous of which was You can't fool me. For his sake, Keev prayed it meant something else altogether.

Copyright © 2010 Libby Drew; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Gay Authors 2009 Novella Contest Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I don't think Aleck and Grier (and Keev) will be safe unless Graviel, Kaye, and Roman are dead.

Edited by CincyKris
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..