Jump to content
    Libby Drew
  • Author
  • 4,048 Words
  • 3,010 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Gay Authors 2009 Novella Contest Entry

State of Mind - 14. Chapter 14

With Keev's steadying hand on her elbow, Nora was able to look the guard in the eye and not flinch. The slight weight of the syringe in her pocket was a constant reminder of her mission – one she'd have to bury deep if she didn't want Kaye or Graviel to see it.

"What are you waiting for?" Keev snapped at the guard. "Open the door. I’m late enough."

"Yes sir, Mr. Petrova."

When the guard turned away, Keev winked at her. More nervous giggles bubbled up her throat. She swallowed them back. The door swung open to the room beyond and in a flash, the terror returned.

Keev squeezed her arm. "You're doing fine," he said from the corner of his mouth as he guided her inside. "Father," he said, louder. "My apologies."

Graviel left his seat, shaking off Kaye's hand as he rushed forward. "Nora," he said, taking her from Keev. "Kaye said you weren't well."

"I was feeling ill, and then got lost trying to find my way back. Mr. Petrova was kind enough to help me." She turned to flash a thankful smile at Keev, but he'd already retreated to his father's side. The father and son shared a look she couldn't decipher.

"This place is a maze. Come and sit." Graviel pulled out a chair next to Kaye. So far, so good. Nora ducked her head, ignoring Kaye's piercing gaze, but dared to raise her eyes to Roman. "I'm very sorry for interrupting."

Roman inclined his head. "How fortunate that my son was in the right place at the right time."

"Yes." She forced a smile onto her face, hoping it didn't look as much like a grimace as it felt. Free of Kaye's bond, she could feel the tension and distrust radiating from every corner of the room.

Roman continued to stare, and Nora dropped her eyes, fingering the weapon in her pocket.

*~*~*

 

Sending Nora into danger hadn't been Aleck's first choice. He watched Keev lead her inside before turning to Grier. "Okay, time to kill the lights. Which way?"

Side by side, they crept through the reception area, at times passing within feet of Roman's men. Complacent, the guards were scanning for the Gifted, not for anyone else. Aleck and Grier evaded them easily.

Grier ducked into an alcove at the far end of the lobby, and Aleck followed. Coat racks lined the walls, and hangers littered the floor. "How much farther?" Aleck whispered.

"Not much. The electrical main is two flights down. The stairs are across this hall." Grier looked around the doorframe, then ducked back. "Two guards," he whispered.

Aleck shrugged. "Even odds."

Grier shook his head, guided Aleck to the archway, and pointed. On the balcony overhead, another two guards stood watch. "We can't take these two without those noticing," Grier breathed in his ear. "And any noise will carry. We need to neutralize all four at once."

Aleck mouthed a curse. They could, of course. But not without alerting every other guard in the building, and Roman as well. Using their Gifts would be like lighting a signal fire. "We're running out of time."

"We can circle outside the building and look for another way in." Grier eased out of the alcove, but Aleck caught the collar of his shirt and shook his head. No time.

He lunged forward, catching Grier off-guard with a quick, rough kiss. "Be careful," he said against his lips. Grier's eyes widened with understanding, but too late. Aleck sprinted into the open.

He opened his mind, revealing himself, and Grier's fury speared into his head like a hot poker. A moment later, running feet approached from two directions. Aleck couldn't help grinning when all four guards appeared out of the gloom, guns trained on him. He lifted his hands when prompted. In his peripheral vision, he saw a low shadow dash across the floor and down the open stairwell. Mission accomplished.

"Hey," he said to the nearest guard, "isn't there a party around here or something?"

"How do you know about that?" the man barked.

"Saw it written on the wall of the john."

Without moving an inch, the man struck, and Aleck crumpled to the floor as pain exploded through his head. "Bring him," he heard the leader say. "You two get back to your post."

The pain ended, but Aleck stayed down, curled into a fetal position while he gasped for breath. He grunted when the first guard nudged him with his foot. "Get up. Time to party."

"I thought you'd never ask," Aleck wheezed, struggling to his feet. "If that's what a bad joke gets me, what happens if I really piss you off?"

"I have a feeling you might find out. Let's go." The man shoved him forward. Aleck went docilely. At the door, they paused, and Aleck heard muffled voices from the other side. When the guard knocked, they went silent.

"Enter," someone called. That had to be Roman. Aleck had heard the same aristocratic tone in Keev's voice.

The guard opened the door and pushed Aleck through. He stumbled a few steps before righting himself, and murmurs erupted around the table. The guard steered him across the room to stand in front of Roman.

"Aleck." Graviel pushed himself up, setting two shaky hands on the table. Whatever he'd planned to say next, he reconsidered. The ensuing silence gave Aleck a chance to reconnoiter. Nora was sitting next to Kaye. Good. He made sure his gaze didn't linger on Keev, but was relieved to see him seated beside Roman. Perfect.

"Aleck," Roman drawled, breaking the tense silence.

Aleck saluted him. "Sorry I'm late."

"I don't believe you were invited."

"Now that hurts my feelings."

"And why is that?" Roman stood, placing a hand on Keev's shoulder when he tried to rise as well. Keev's face was a white mask, fixed on Aleck. "You've joined the enemy," Roman said. "You have no business here."

"No!" Graviel shouted. "I don't believe it. Aleck?"

Aleck ran his eyes over the Directorate, dismayed to find them wide-eyed and inert. He couldn't stall forever. Damn it, where was Grier?

"Aleck," Graviel repeated. "Tell him he's wrong. I know you, son. I know you."

In spite of all the lies between them, that was true. Graviel knew him. He hoped the reverse still held. "You've been tricked," he said to Graviel. "Petrova means to kill you."

A collective gasp went up from Graviel's side of the table, yet Roman's people were still. Aleck knew the moment when Graviel realized the truth.

Still, Roman played his game. "You come here daring to spread these lies." He pounded his fist on the table, shouting at Graviel. "Remove him. Before I do."

Graviel didn't move, and Aleck shook his head. "It's over."

"How wrong you are," Roman hissed under his breath. He focused his gaze across the table.

Before Aleck could process the energy that surged past him, Kaye shot from her seat. Bright splotches of red colored her cheeks. Even halfway across the room, her anger rocked Aleck back on his heels. She lunged under her jacket, and suddenly there was a gun in her hand. "Traitor!" she cried as she fired.

As her finger squeezed the trigger, Keev hit Aleck from behind, driving him into the floor. Aleck's head slammed into the wood, and the bullet thudded into the wall above his head, spitting plaster down on both of them. His vision went white from the blow, and came back double, but he still saw what happened next.

Nora leapt from her seat, pulling the syringe from her pocket as she did, and jabbed it into Kaye's neck. Kaye gasped and twisted, but Nora followed, depressing the plunger and emptying the drug into her bloodstream.

Aleck felt like cheering.

Kaye yanked out the syringe and threw it across the room. "You bitch!" she screamed, swiveling to point the gun at Nora.

"No!" Graviel yelled, echoing Aleck's shouted warning. He stepped in front of a cowering Nora, hands out. "No, Kaye!"

Kaye pulled the trigger. Graviel spun backward, then crumpled to the ground. Nora released a splitting scream, and the room erupted into chaos.

Feeling sick, Aleck glanced over his shoulder. Keev was still on the ground, but he wasn't watching the drama unfold across the room. His eyes were on Roman, who was standing over them, murderous gaze glued to an identical syringe clutched in Keev's hand, and the liquid swirling inside of it.

"Shit," Aleck said.

The lights went out.

Aleck kicked and his boot met something soft and yielding. He heard the snap of a bone and a grunt of pain. He spun into a crouch, intent on launching himself toward Roman, but Keev caught him. "Aleck, no." He threw his weight forward, holding him down. "I didn't get a chance to inject him."

Behind them, a door smashed open, letting in a touch of grayish light. Aleck squinted, then pounded his fist against the floor when a figure limped through. "He's getting away."

The shouts grew more frantic. Chairs toppled. A glass pitcher shattered on the floor. Aleck cringed. At least Kaye seemed to be the only one with a gun.

Even as the thought passed his mind, the doors to the lobby where thrown open and one of Roman's guards panned a bright spotlight over the space. He lowered the light and hefted a machine gun against his shoulder. Before Aleck could shout a warning, there was a deafening spatter of gunfire. The picture window shattered, raining glass into the gorge below. Wind charged in. The shredded blinds drifted to the floor, and the last of the day's sunshine lit up the room, tinting everything pink.

"Jesus." Aleck ducked against the flying glass, then shouted, "What the fuck are you doing? Stop shooting!"

Miraculously, his order was obeyed. He craned his neck, desperate for a glimpse of Graviel or Nora, but he couldn't see through the throng of panicked people. Few were fighting; most were converging on the lobby doors, trying to escape.

Keev grabbed the syringe off the floor and scuttled toward the rear door after his father. Cursing under his breath, Aleck followed.

*~*~*

Grier had wanted to kill Aleck when he ran off. Reckless little bastard! Fuming, he'd waited, and a few seconds later, the men at the top of the stairs abandoned their post. Aleck had lifted the curtain on his gifts, exposing himself.

As much as Grier wanted to throttle him, the diversion worked. He slipped out of his hiding place and bent low to dash across the floor and onto the steps. He crept down a half a flight before turning to peer at Aleck through the banister. Four guards surrounded him. Aleck had fallen to the floor, clutching his head.

Rage ballooned in Grier's chest. His legs twitched, desperate to carry him back. Instead, he slithered down the rest of the steps before rising to take the next flight at a run, then pushed through the double metal doors into the maintenance area of the lodge. Once inside, he pulled a small flashlight from his pocket.

Two deep breaths calmed him enough to recall Keev's instructions. Second right, third left, down a short flight of metal steps, and there it was. The electrical main. The lock had been cut, the chain puddled on the ground next to it. That made sense. Graviel's people had been there earlier, reconnecting power to the restaurant. A secondary breaker was also active: the emergency lighting. Grier stuck the flashlight between his teeth, reached for the main breaker, and flipped it down with a loud snap.

The bulb above his head went out, and the low whirring of the back-up generator died. The ensuing silence seemed to have physical weight. Grier didn't move. The only sounds were his harsh breathing and thumping heart.

Far away, so faint it was nothing more than a breath of sound, someone screamed. Grier took off toward the restaurant at a run.

The trip back felt endless. He topped the stairs to the lobby still running, the small beam of his flashlight a beacon if anybody wanted a shot at him, but there was no gunfire, no shouts for him to stop.

The sun had set. The barest hint of light shone through the windows, but it was enough for Grier to see someone throw open the restaurant doors, swing a gun up to his shoulder, and fire off a dozen rounds. More screams erupted from the room.

He heard Aleck shout, and the relief almost buckled his knees.

He didn't slow as he came up behind the shooter. Bending low, he tackled him at the knees, driving the weapon up and away. The man went down with a grunt, and Grier finished the job with a vicious blow to the side of his face.

"Aleck!" he shouted as he gained his feet.

No one answered. People rushed past on both sides, jostling him backward, their expressions a mix of fear, anger, and confusion. He fought his way back into the room, and in the pale light saw Graviel sprawled on the floor, blood seeping from his stomach and Nora huddled over him. Graviel's eyes crackled with rage. "You," he said. He pointed with one shaking finger, but not at Grier.

Grier followed his gaze.

A few feet away, Kaye stood, arms outstretched. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," she cried. "Please."

Blood bubbled out of Graviel's mouth. Sobbing, Nora tried to wipe it away with the edge of her shirt, but more came behind it, dripping across his cheek and onto her leg.

Grier's heart clenched. He fell to his knees by Nora's side.

Trembling, Kaye dropped the gun. It clattered on the floor. "Please."

Graviel's stare never wavered. He sucked in a wet breath. His pupils dilated, then shrunk to pinpricks. No words passed his lips, but Kaye's head snapped back. Her fingers locked apart, and her mouth opened in a silent scream. Graceless as a string puppet, she turned and began a clumsy run for the shattered window.

"Graviel, no," Nora whispered, but Grier said nothing. It was too late.

Kaye never slowed, even when the sleeve of her blouse caught on a shard of glass, ripping a jagged hole in the fabric. She jumped, arms and legs still pumping when gravity caught and carried her down and out of sight.

"Grier."

Tearing his eyes away from the scrap of material caught on the glass, Grier looked at Graviel. The old man gave him a sad smile. "A fitting end."

"She—"

"I wasn't speaking about Kaye." Graviel fumbled for Grier's hand. The clasp of his fingers was familiar, the grip of a man who'd once saved him. "Don't I always say, no mistake should go unpunished?"

"No," Grier replied, hoarse. "You always say we should learn from our mistakes."

Graviel struggled for another breath. One corner of his mouth, still wet with blood, turned upward. "So I do." His fingers went tight around Grier's. "Then you, my son, must learn from mine."

"I don't want—"

"Watch out for Aleck. Watch out for all of them. Please." Graviel shut his eyes.

"No!" Grier covered the bullet wound with his hand, calling up as much power as he could to repair the damage. Within seconds, he realized the futility. Graviel's body had shut down. His heart struggled on, even when his lungs ceased to fill. Jaw clenched, Grier watched as the artery in his neck stuttered, then finally went still.

Only then did he acknowledge the watchers.

A circle of people stood around them. The Directorate, he assumed. Most of the rest had fled. There was no more reason to hide. Grier dropped his shields, flinching at how his improved vision sharpened the details of Graviel's slack face and the coppery smell of blood. Grief crushed down on him, not all of it from the men and women clustered around the body.

"The end of an era," Nora said. She laid a hand on Graviel's forehead.

Caught in a storm of conflicting emotions, Grier stood, swiping a blood-covered hand over this shirt. "Go," he choked, addressing the Directorate. "It's not safe here." He bowed his head, sensing when they moved off. "You too, Nora."

"But …"

"I'll take care of him. Go."

Despite the order, Nora stayed on the floor, legs tucked beneath her and Graviel's head on her lap. Her glasses were crooked. A thin spray of blood covered one lens. "So it's over?"

Grier extended his senses past the empty room, searching. Aleck's return touch held relief and affection. And a sense of urgency. "No," Grier said. "Not yet.

*~*~*

Aleck let Keev take the lead. Two levels down, they found a set of security doors torn from their hinges. Aleck's step faltered at the snapped metal. "Did he do that?"

"I'm afraid so." Keev leapt over the obstacle without slowing.

Beyond was a sweeping veranda, carved into the side of the cliff. When the resort was open, Aleck imagined it was filled with umbrella-shaded tables and lounge chairs, but at the moment it held nothing but a few dead branches. It stretched from one end of the lodge to the other. A short wall of stones separated it from the forest beyond. Every few feet, faded, red-lettered signs warned of the danger.

Do not cross.

Keev vaulted over it, and Aleck followed. They slid down a steep incline onto the next terrace of earth and rock. Keev paused, and Aleck bent over his knees to catch his breath. "How the hell is he moving so fast? I broke his fucking leg."

Keev's face twisted into a frown. "He knows he has no chance of outrunning us. He's setting a trap."

"Scary. Let's go."

Sunset had faded to full dusk. The sound of the river filled Aleck's ears, echoing up and down the gorge until he couldn't tell from which direction it came. His only clue was the sloping terrain. One slip was all it would take. He reached for Keev's arm. "Careful."

"I'm trying," Keev said, voice strained. He said something else, but it was lost in the roar of the water. They slid down another steep bank, clutching at exposed roots. The trees had thinned, and a cool mist bathed Aleck's skin. The river.

His feet hit the next terrace to find Keev huddled on the ground, clutching his leg. Aleck crouched over him. "Did you hurt yourself?"

"No." Keev wiped a bead of sweat off his brow. "My father's sharing his pain."

"He's trying to slow you down." Aleck pulled at his fingers. "Give me the syringe."

The details of Keev's expression were lost in the falling darkness. "Are you going to use it?"

Which isn't what he meant, Aleck knew. "If I get the chance."

Keev pressed it into his palm. "Be careful."

"Don't worry."

"Aleck." Keev grabbed him before he could move. "He'll try to trick you, and he's very good."

Aleck curled his fingers around the syringe. "Stay put." He moved off, extending his senses in a wide arc. He absorbed the lay of the terrain, felt Roman's presence ahead of him – though not too far ahead. Pain was slowing his progress, dulling his ability to fight. Aleck dug into his mind, memorizing his route, then followed.

Roman had pushed through a thicket. There. At the next drop, he'd turned left, following the trail to an opening in the brush. Aleck followed, mapping Roman's every move in his head. Maybe the bastard would fall before Aleck ever reached him.

Gaining confidence, Aleck sped his pace. He was closing in. In his mind, he saw Roman take the next drop onto a large, flat boulder, then pick up a trail heading north, away from the gorge.

"Oh no, you don't." No way was the bastard going to get away from him. Aleck jumped down the incline, but where he expected his feet to hit rock, there was nothing. Gasping in surprise, he twisted, hooking a tree root with his arm. The syringe flew from his fingers and fell, disappearing into the mist below. Stopping his fall had almost pulled his shoulder from its socket. "What the fuck?" he wheezed, eyes tearing from the pain.

There was no rock, no wide terrace of trees. No trail heading north. The image in his head blurred, then faded. Keev's warning had been warranted. Even hurt and weakening, Roman's powers were formidable. The suggestion he'd embedded in Aleck's head had been seamless, the illusion perfect.

Grunting, Aleck hoisted himself a few feet higher.

"End of the line, Aleck."

Aleck jerked his head in the direction of the voice. Roman was so close, Aleck could've touched him. He too had wedged himself against a tree root. With one arm, he clung to the side of the cliff. His other hand held a gun, aimed at Aleck.

"Yeah, that suits me just fine. I've wanted off this crazy ride since it started." He gathered himself and struck, but Roman rebuffed the mental attack, swatting at it like he would a fly. Aleck couldn't help but be impressed.

"Is that the best you have, boy?" Roman sneered. "Pathetic." He cocked the gun.

"Well, actually," Aleck said, "no." With a deep breath, he reached for the power he hadn't sought in years, his ultimate camouflage, and made himself invisible. He had no idea if the illusion would fool someone as gifted as Roman, but it was his only shot. The night turned darker, sounds grew muffled. He prayed the ruse worked.

                                              

Roman's shocked shout was all the confirmation he needed.

Vertigo took hold as the strain of maintaining the illusion worsened. His hand slid from the tree root, and before his strength left him altogether, he let go and lunged toward the gun. It went off when his fingers closed around it, the report deafening, but the bullet went wide, ricocheting off the cliff face. Aleck ripped it from Roman's hand and tossed it away.

Roman let loose another strangled cry and began to slip, and Aleck kicked at his stomach, helping him along. With his own strength flagging, he revealed himself, grinning manically when Roman's eyes bulged.

"How did you—?"

Aleck kicked again and Roman's fingers lost their grip. "Bye-bye," Aleck growled as Roman dropped over the edge.

Roman's lips peeled back in a snarl. Just as he went over, he grabbed Aleck's foot, yanking him off-balance. Gasping, Aleck threw himself backward, scrabbling for a handhold, but his fingers found nothing but dirt and smooth rock. He shot toward the abyss.

Then jerked to a halt when a hand clamped onto his.

He tore his eyes away from where his legs hung out over the drop and tipped his head back, smiling into Grier's worried face. "Nice catch."

"Hang on."

"I'll try." But he was so weak that even saying the words was a struggle. In the end, it was Grier who did most of the work, manhandling them both up the cliff face until he'd reached flat ground. Panting, he collapsed on a bed of matted pine needles. Aleck curled against his side.

"See? Everything went perfectly," Aleck said a few minutes later. "And you were all worried."

Grier's hand tightened on his hair. "Shut up. Before I throw you over myself."

Heavy footfalls approached. Keev dropped to the ground next to them, setting his arms on his bent knees. "Just so you both know, I've satisfied my quota on heroics for the next century."

Aleck pushed himself upright. "Your father—"

"He's dead, Aleck. Please don't apologize. It would be an empty sentiment. For both of us." Like an animal that had caught a scent, he lifted his head, nostrils flaring, then swiveled to look up the hill.

"What are they feeling?" Grier asked him, staring at the dozens of shadowy figures watching from above.

Keev inhaled again, but shook his head. "Everything."

One by one, the figures turned and moved off into the night. A few minutes later, they were once more alone.

Grier helped Aleck and Keev to their feet. "Now," he said, brushing dirt from his pants, "it's over."

Copyright © 2010 Libby Drew; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Gay Authors 2009 Novella Contest Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I got my initial wish for Graviel, Kaye, and Roman to die.  But I find that I'm a little sad that Graviel died, although very satisfied that he was the one to kill Kaye!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..