Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 3,339 Words
  • 4,528 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Crown Prince Yoshi - 4. Chapter 4

4

Midori carried Yoshi, who had passed out on the ride through the forest, into his tent. No doubt, the adrenaline had disappeared leaving the pain from the lashes Yoshi had received from the rebels. Laying him carefully on his bed, Midori untied the overcoat Yoshi wore. He pulled off the pale green tunic and turned Yoshi on to his stomach.

He cursed under his breath when he saw the red welts over the phoenix on Yoshi’s back. Midori touched the bruised skin with the tip of his finger. He winced at the thought of the pain Yoshi was feeling. Adjusting Yoshi’s head on the pillow, he covered him with a sheet and hurried out to find the healer.

****

Telia cursed when she realized the dark rider was from Fier. Shadowing him to the middle of the camp, her gaze hardened when she saw the dark rider enter the General’s tent.

“What now?” Hinna whispered behind her. “The noisy one is captured; the Prince is with the General. They escape and hell breaks loose.”

“We’ll steal them away at night,” Telia said. “Come on; let’s find Sando and the Prince’s horse.”

Glancing at the sky, Telia counted three hours before she could steal into the General’s tent, get the Prince and get them on to the road to Earith.

***

Sando shifted his legs on the hard ground and bit back a groan when pins and needles raced through his numb right leg.

Gods, what had happened to the Prince?

He’d heard whispers about a rebel attack in the village. The bastards holding him didn’t want to share information. He was going crazy sitting on the hard ground in a wooden makeshift holding cell thinking about the Prince.

He let out a sigh and stared at the dark sky. He couldn’t believe their luck these past two days. Assassins, rebels, Fier soldiers, they should never have left the palace!

“You,” Hinna’s voice interrupted his thoughts. “Why are you so occupied with the sky? Pay attention.”

“Shh…do you want to wake the whole camp?” Telia chastised in a whisper. “Sando, let’s go.”

He grinned so happy to see the two women he could have kissed them. Crawling over to the corner of the wooden shed, he looked at the solid wood and frowned.

“In case you didn’t notice, I can’t pass through wood,” Sando complained.

“Idiot,” Telia said and waved a hand under the wooden fence.

They’d dug a sizable hole under the wooden fence big enough for him to crawl. However, because the bastards holding him had tied his hands behind him, Sando had to wedge his upper body into the hole, making Hinna and Telia work to pull him out. Five minutes later, he was out of the makeshift shed and Hinna was cutting the ropes around his chest and his arms.

“Where is the Prince?” he asked worried. “I left him at the tea house, we should—

“He’s in the General’s tent,” Telia answered dragging him to his feet. “We get him and head to the west. Our horses are waiting in a clearing just inside the forest. We’ll ride for Earith through the night, no stopping.”

Sando grabbed Telia’s shoulder when she turned away from him.

“That General is Midori Sanori,” Sando whispered.

“All the more reason to get out of this camp without being caught,” she advised. “Let’s go.”

****

Midori sat at the table in his tent watching Yoshi in the firelight. The shadows dancing over Yoshi’s handsome face, the thick braid of hair falling over the bed almost to the floor. The phoenix on his back was intriguing; the red color vibrant in the light, Midori wished he could trace the tattoo to his heart’s content. He dared not, with the red welts on Yoshi’s back. The healer had applied a numbing salve to ease the pain, but Yoshi hadn’t moved since he’d laid him on the bed.

He could still taste the fear he’d felt when he’d reached the inn and found Yoshi captured. Hot anger had boiled through him when those rebels had lashed the younger man. Had he been ten minutes late, those men would have abused Yoshi mercilessly. The rebels his father nurtured were black hearted and reveled in degradation. He hated to imagine what Yoshi would have suffered this night.

Glad that he’d saved the handsome man, he returned his gaze back to the map on the table. The detail on the parchment gave him a clear picture of where they were. Hidden in the Furian forest, a day away from Fier and three days away from Earith, he touched the red button to the north of the forest. Red for the Furian Princess and her army, surrounded with black pins that represented the rebel army. She was holding her ground, but not for long. He picked up the yellow wooden coin with the Imperial Army mark and placed it in the middle of Fier. His father had joined his forces with the Imperial Army and split them into three. The spy he’d left in his father’s ranks had sent him a message this evening.

One group would match to the west to fight the Princess Naria and take control of Earith. The second group would head back to Lexin city and the palace. The last group would head for Terra.

Midori rubbed his forehead staring at the map on the table. His father’s thoughts so clear to him it was terrifying. If Namik gained control of Terra, the Empress would lose a large chunk of her control making Prince Tailen more powerful.

Shaking his head, he dropped the yellow coin and picked up the piece of yellow embroidered fabric his men had gotten from the Prince’s carriage. His trackers had claimed that a set of horses had raced into the forest. Midori hoped the Prince had escaped. If they could only find the riders who’d gone into the forest—

He felt the whisper of fabric before he saw the Furian.

She moved fast, her dagger pressing against his neck before he could blink let alone reach for his sword. She kicked his right hand, shoved the table away, and straddled him.

“Don’t move,” she warned her eyes a dangerous red.

He’d grown up with stories of the Furian women. He'd heard of their angry red eyes and sharp daggers that could gut a man with one swipe. He swallowed hard when her dagger dug deeper, her face so close he could see the pores on her smooth skin.

“What do you want?” he asked tightly conscious of the sharp blade at his neck.

“I’ve come for him.” She nodded to Yoshi on the bed.

“I have safe passage through your forest,” Midori said quietly hating the thought of divulging his true mission.

He couldn’t let the Furian take Yoshi away. The Princess Naria had promised no interference but, she’d also warned him should he meet with a Furian sister, truth was best.

“I don’t care,” this one said with a growl.

“Get him up,” she ordered sharply, her words directed to someone in the shadows.

He tried to dislodge her but her dagger dug deeper into his skin. He winced when she nicked his skin, drawing blood.

“I’ll not warn you again,” she said in a low menacing tone.

A young girl and the man they’d captured in the forest earlier hurried to the bed. Between them, they sat Yoshi up on the bed and helped him into the green tunic he’d left at the foot of the bed. Yoshi groaned and Midori strained against the dagger.

“Hush,” the Furian warned.

“Sando,” Yoshi groaned when the man tried to settle him on his back. “What’s going on?”

“I’m sorry,” Sando said and stood up with Yoshi on his back.

Midori brought his left hand up and hit the Furian under her right shoulder. She shifted just enough to ease the pressure of her dagger against his neck. Midori moved fast pushing the Furian to the ground and lunged toward Yoshi.

The Furian kicked the back of his left knee and he stumbled enough for her to jump on his back. Her dagger raised high; she brought it down with force just as Yoshi ordered.

“Telia stop! He saved my life.”

“My lord!” Telia exclaimed her dagger inches away from his vital vein. He could feel the strain she used as she fought the momentum.

“Stop,” Yoshi ordered again. “I’m indebted to him.”

The Furian on his back gave an angry growl and jumped off. Midori sighed in relief and rubbed his neck. He glared at her when he saw blood on his palm.

Yoshi tapped Sando’s back. “Put me down.”

“My lord—

“I said put me down,” Yoshi ordered with an irritated tone.

Midori frowned when Sando let him go. The speed in which they complied with Yoshi’s orders made him pause.

Yoshi sighed and sat on the bed.

“I’m sorry,” he said looking at Midori. “I must have passed out on the way from the village. Please excuse—

“Don’t apologize for us,” Telia cut in quickly. “He’s holding you here and Sando was his prisoner. We must leave this camp.”

Sando nodded in agreement turning to look at Yoshi. “We must leave, my lord.”

“I saved his life,” Midori said, confused by the thanks he was getting. “We’re not rebels; you have nothing to fear here.”

“Tell that to someone who hasn’t seen your holding cells,” Sando said bitterly. “Your men are mean.”

“They’re meant to be, especially to nosy intruders,” Midori retorted. “You’re never going to make it out of this camp.”

“We’ll make it if we threaten you,” Telia said placing herself between him and Yoshi.

“My men will hunt you down.”

Yoshi stood and shook his head. “Both of you stop this. Midori will let us leave. Telia stop threatening a man who saved my life.”

Telia grumbled under her breath.

“I can’t let you leave,” Midori said fascinated by Telia’s strange attitude. She was a Furian. They never took orders from anyone but their Princess.

“Midori, what do you mean by that?” Yoshi demanded imperiously.

“It’s deep in the night, and there are rebels crawling through the forest. This is your safest place. I’ll see that you’re comfortable.”

Sando leaned close to Yoshi and whispered into his ear.

The dark expression that filled Yoshi’s eyes was surprising. Midori felt a sharp sting on his neck that made him slap his hand against the painful spot. He gasped when his hand came away with a needle-thin thorn. Pulling it out, he turned to see the young girl hold up a thin flute before the world faded into darkness.

****

“Is he dead?” Yoshi asked his gaze on Midori.

Telia and Sando had found ropes in one of the wooden chests along the walls of the tent. They’d tied Midori and put him on the bed.

“We wouldn’t tie him if he was dead,” Telia said. “You should have let me kill him.”

“What a blood thirsty wench. I can't believe you're making me agree with her. We should leave,” Sando complained. “Staying here makes us vulnerable. Someone is bound to come looking for him.”

“Aren’t you curious?” Yoshi asked his gaze still on Midori.

Dark hair spread out on the bed, his skin brown from the sun, long dark lashes, Yoshi smiled. This Midori Sanori was handsome.

The son of Namik, he thought.

“Why is the Fier Quad heir hiding in the Furian forest and helping innocent villagers? Don’t you think he would be by his father’s side?”

“That question should have you out of this tent,” Telia said quietly. She grabbed the map on the table and stuffed it into a bag she carried on her back. “The faster we get on the road, the easier it will be to escape his soldiers. We’re running out of time.”

“We’re not leaving,” Yoshi said intrigued by Midori.

“What?” Sando gasped his eyes wide. “You’ve gone mad, haven’t you? Those rebels lashed you too hard and it damaged your thinking.” Sando grabbed his left arm and shook him. “This man’s father plots treason and wants you dead. You shouldn’t be anywhere near him.”

“Yes, but,” Yoshi leaned closer to look at Midori. “He saved me in the village. He had no reason to do that, but he did.”

“I’m losing my mind,” Sando said letting go of his arm. “Of course he saved you, he wants you. I’m very sure he thought you would become his new lover. You’re driving me crazy.”

“Calm down,” Yoshi said irritated, not wanting to think that Sando might be right. “By the way, you’re always yelling at me for getting in trouble. What happened to you today?”

Sando sighed. “Don’t try to change the subject. We need to leave.”

Yoshi started to protest, only to have Midori open his eyes. He jerked away from the bed, and Telia shifted so that she was once again standing between them. She smiled down at Midori, a cold tug of her lips that sent a chill down his spine.

“No struggling, be still and listen, traitor,” she warned. “I have no qualms killing you, Midori Sanori. Your kind is waging war against my sisters and innocent people in the North. If it weren’t for him, I’d end your existence.”

Yoshi met Midori’s alarmed gaze.

“She gets excited easily,” he said nodding to Telia. “Don’t test her patience. She’s had to hold back because of me and her temper is short. Do you understand?”

Midori nodded and held his gaze. Yoshi frowned, gauging the man who’d gone out of his way to save him. He removed the gag on Midori’s mouth and helped him sit on the side of the bed.

“Who are you? Why does she treat you like her master?” Midori asked keeping a wary gaze on Telia.

“He’s not my master,” Telia protested with a growl.

“Then what is he?” Midori asked turning a probing gaze to him. “Who are you?”

“Someone who has to get to Earith in the next two days,” Yoshi said.

“You won’t make it through this forest alone,” Midori said abruptly.

“We’re four, two of us are natives,” Telia said. “We’ll make it.”

“You don’t understand. My father has been building an army. The moment they attacked the Crown Prince, my father deployed his army to Lexin city. They’ll be crossing the Furian forest tonight and tomorrow. If you want to reach Earith, your best bet is with me.”

“Why are you going to Earith?” Yoshi asked with a frown.

“The Quads need to unite, that’s the only way to defeat my father’s army,” Midori said quietly. “Even if the Empress stays a declaration of her successor, Fier’s army will be at her doors, ready to take control of the palace and force her hand. Without the Imperial Army, she’s defenseless.”

Sando placed a hand on Yoshi’s shoulder and squeezed. Yoshi took in a deep breath and tried not to panic.

How had this happened? How could the opposition have amassed so much power to leave Almira defenseless in her palace?

“My lord,” Telia said looking at Yoshi. “What do we do?”

Yoshi met Midori’s gaze. “I need your help.”

Midori narrowed his gaze and asked, “Who are you?”

Yoshi took Telia’s dagger from her and cut the ropes wrapped around Midori’s upper body and his legs. He gave back the dagger and looked at Midori.

“Your house plots treason against mine,” he said in a low voice. “Do you understand me?”

Midori’s eyes widened and he fell to the floor on one knee as Telia had done when they first met.

Midori lowered his head and said, “I declare my allegiance to you, Prince Yoshi Taimeng of Amana, heir to the throne. I am your servant.”

Yoshi sighed in relief, only to gasp when Telia moved behind Midori, her fingers digging into his hair. She brought her dagger to Midori’s neck and leaned close.

“If you betray him, I’m going to cut out your tongue, gut you alive and watch you die a slow death. Do you understand?”

Midori nodded holding still under her sharp blade.

“Good.” Telia let him go and walked around to face him. She held out her hand to Midori.

Midori hesitated for a moment before he took her hand and she pulled him up.

“Now that it’s all cleared up, shall we get started? We must plan how we’re going to make it to Ear”

****

Yoshi sat on the bench in Midori’s tent that morning while the healer applied salve on the welts on his back. He gritted his teeth and closed his eyes when the young man touched a particularly painful part on his left side.

“Be careful,” Midori ordered gruffly.

Yoshi buried his face in his hands to hide his expressions. Midori kept chastising the young healer every time he winced. He was glad when the ordeal was over because the welts on his back had only gotten more painful through the night.

“I’ll come back this evening,” the healer told him.

Yoshi nodded and reached for the black tunic Midori had found for him. The healer left the tent and Midori stood to help him put the tunic on.

“You should let me do it this evening,” Midori said quietly. “He caused you pain.”

“Nothing should change. A General would never tend a merchant’s wounds. You can’t act different toward me,” Yoshi said, happy when Midori made sure the fabric didn’t touch his back.

“He didn’t have to hurt you,” Midori complained as he held out a steaming cup of green tea.

Yoshi took the cup and sipped the hot liquid gratefully. Midori sat across him on the table.

“Who put that phoenix on your back?”

“Why do you ask?”

“You’d have been in a lot of pain for many days.”

“Pain builds strong character,” Yoshi told him with a small smile. “Don’t wear that pained expression. I’m sure you went through worse training under your father.”

Midori dropped his gaze to the table.

“Why didn’t you tell me who you were at the baths?”

Yoshi shrugged.

“I’m on the run. You are a soldier who thought me a serf. Why didn’t you tell me who you were?”

Midori laughed and he glanced up.

“I suppose for the same reasons why you didn’t tell me the truth. I’ve always wanted to meet you. We never got a chance.”

“Your father isn’t very hospitable.” Yoshi sipped his tea. “Namik Sanori has never liked me or my mother.”

Thinking of his mother, Yoshi stared into his green tea with a frown. The palace was probably busy planning his funeral, that couldn’t be easy to endure even for his stoic mother.

****

Amana Palace

Almira walked into the small dark hall where they had laid the pretender. The chamberlains working in her son’s suite had dressed him in Yoshi’s finest clothes. Red silk embroidered with a yellow phoenix. She stopped before the body and looked around the room. Sayuri was making sure there were no prying eyes. Biting her lip hard, she touched the cold stiff arm wearing her son’s ring. She fought the urge to recoil from this gory task, but she had to make sure. It took her a few tries, but she finally turned the man to his side so that she could check his back. Few knew about her son’s tattoo. She’d made sure to keep it that way in case this very situation happened.

A relieved sigh escaped when she found a clean back. Thanking the gods, she righted the pretender’s clothes and left the dark hall without a backward glance. She would prolong the imposter's mourning period for as long as she could. She hoped that would give Yoshi time to return to the city.

She prayed she’d taught him enough to know he’d need to raise an army like no other. Otherwise, they were both dead.

****

2012 lilansui
  • Like 20
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Love this story! I wonder why Midori is so caring about Yoshi? :P .... What does Yoshi feel ..... How will he express that?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/20/2013 10:55 AM, Ashton said:
Love this story! I wonder why Midori is so caring about Yoshi? :P .... What does Yoshi feel ..... How will he express that?
:) So many questions...lol Soon to be answered. Thank you so much for reading. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/24/2014 10:17 AM, m.p. said:
This is so exciting! Can't wait to read what happens next! :)
Thank you m.p. Keep looking forward to it. :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..