Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 5,390 Words
  • 6,559 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Morgan Lore - 6. Chapter 6

Visiting the Town’s Grocery Store

Milan.

Milan Takeda.

Cucciolo.

Rory smiled. He loved Ilaria’s nickname for his mate. The beautiful Japanese-Italian boy of sixteen filled his every waking moment, and his nights too. The scent of mandarin oranges lived in his head; he constantly needed it to stay sane.

Since he discovered Milan was his mate Rory barely slept at home. Choosing to climb up the evergreen tree behind Milan’s bedroom for the night. It grew tall, branches wide, but not reaching the house. The height was enough to allow him a spectacular view into Milan’s room.

The first night was rough.

Milan coughed hard through the night. Rory watched Ilaria walk in to Milan’s room periodically to check on him, and give him medicine on an IV line. Deep in the night, a Japanese man came home and sat on Milan’s bed for hours watching Milan sleep.

Rory figured the man was Milan’s father.

The next day, Milan spent the day in bed, watching NatGeo on the flat screen while he drew on an expensive looking tablet on his lap. Rory wished he could sit next to Milan on his bed, keep him company, and keep him warm.

Milan’s big brother, Ayu, came in for a while, telling Milan stories of what he had seen on his errands around town. Rory found that he truly respected Ayu. Ayu was patient with Milan, very devoted. It was hard not to like him.

That evening Milan looked better, health wise. He even got out of bed for family dinner downstairs. Marie, the housekeeper, her cooking was divine. While they all sat at the dining table, Rory sneaked into the kitchen and got himself a bowl of mushroom risotto, grilled chicken and garlic bread. After dinner, the family migrated to Milan’s bedroom to keep him company.

Rory loved Ilaria. She was the mother he dreamed of: caring, loving, attentive, and firm. She took care of both Ayu and Milan in equal parts. He was envious of the brothers.

And so, on the third morning into his new found stalker tendencies, Rory woke up to Ayu talking with his mother in Ayu’s bedroom. He sat up to watch the exchange. Ayu was enrolling into Ashland University. They sat on Ayu’s bed discussing Ayu’s course choices for the new semester.

“I don’t want to pursue medicine,” Ayu said. “I know you’ve wanted it. I would do it for Milan’s sake, but—,”

Ayu shook his head.

“It’s not my calling, Mamma.”

“Ayu.” Ilaria took his right hand. “When did we ever say you must do medicine?”

“Dad is always dragging me to his lab, and you buy me all these medicine books. Look at my bookshelf.”

Ilaria looked at the bookshelf, and then wiped a hand down her face.

Dio santa, Ayu. I’m sorry. I—”

“You might not have realized you were doing it. I know. I know what it has been like with Milan. I know, Mamma, but, I still want to do what makes me happy. Can you forgive me for that?”

Ilaria let go of Ayu’s hand and wiped her palms over her face, and Rory realized she was crying. It took her a moment to regain control. When she did, she took Ayu’s right hand again.

“Ayu, Mamma is sorry.” She straightened her shoulders, meeting her oldest son’s gaze. “There is nothing to forgive. You go ahead and tell me, what do you want to do?”

Ayu took in a breath, and let it out with a skeptical glance.

“First, remember Milan is still sleeping. So, don’t yell. Promise not to be angry with me.”

Si, si, I promise,” Ilaria said, giving an impatient nod.

Ayu stood up and got his tablet from his desk. He brought it back to his mother and she stared at the screen for a few minutes.

Rory adjusted his position on the branches, but he still couldn’t see the tablet screen.

“What is TakSecure?” Ilaria asked after a moment, a frown gracing her forehead. “It’s familiar. Ayu?”

“I have been developing security software and testing it out for a while. Christina and I, we started a small security company in Turin. I put in most of the money you gave me from my allowance into the small start-up. Christina was my partner. It was good, but not perfect. There are more things I need to learn.”

“Oh goodness, our whole neighborhood in Turin was under TakSecure.”

Ayu winced.

Ilaria looked up at her son.

“You somehow convinced them to choose you, didn’t you?”

“Surprise!”

“Who knew?”

“Christina,” Ayu said, sitting next to Ilaria. “She was my front person. She talked to the customers and I ran the logistics of installation and maintenance. The response team was ran by her uncle, the one in the police force. Before we left, I left everything to Christina. I will maintain it if she needs it, but I want to learn new things, more. Milan knows too, but only because he discovered us installing the system for Mrs. Roberto down the street.”

Ilaria groaned and placed the tablet on the bed.

“I don’t know my oldest son!”

“You do know me,” Ayu insisted.

“Why didn’t you tell me before?”

“Because,” Ayu shrugged. “Milan has been sick and we all needed to focus on getting him better. It was hard to pull that focus away to my small project.”

Ilaria wiped her hand down her face, and stared at Ayu for a full two minutes.

When she did speak, Ayu looked nervous.

“Follow your heart,” Ilaria said, making Ayu exhale in relief. “Your papa and I will be very proud no matter what you do.”

“For real?” Ayu asked, studying her, his gaze still skeptical.

“Come here,” Ilaria waved him closer.

Rory bit back a laugh when Ilaria pinched Ayu’s cheeks hard, making him cry out. Then she pulled Ayu into a tight hug.

“Don’t keep secrets from me again, polpetto. I’ll really break the skin when I pinch you next time.”

Ayu returned the hug, burying his face into Ilaria’s shoulder.

“And Milan?” Ilaria asked, still holding on to Ayu. “Does he tell you what he wants to be?”

“Mamma.”

“He won’t tell me,” Ilaria sighed. “He says he will be happy to live with us, but I know he has dreams, Ayu. He is afraid he might not fulfill them, so he won’t say. Tell me.”

“An architect,” Ayu said. “He loves buildings. When he was healthy enough, on those perfect days, we drove all over Turin, Milan, and Florence, just to look at buildings.”

Rory locked that information in his heart. Collecting Milan’s secret wishes, likes and loves was turning into a hobby.

Ilaria bit her lip and nodded.

“It is a good one. I’m sad none of my sons want to be doctors, but you have good dreams.”

Ilaria let go of Ayu and stood up. She wiped her eyes with her scarf as she headed for the door.

“You’re going into school today?”

“Yes, they said I could collect my schedule,” Ayu said. “We need to check it so we can plan the days I pick up Milan from school.”

“You’re a good big brother. Take the Black Audi, your father is not using it. We are working on getting you a car. Which reminds me, your Papa needs to sign some papers when he comes home,” Ilaria said. “Ayu?”

“Yes, Mamma.”

“I love you.”

“I love you too, Mamma.”

Ilaria nodded and left Ayu’s room, heading downstairs.

Rory stretched out on his spot on the tree, his gaze returning to Milan’s room. Ayu and Milan’s rooms were divided by a bathroom they shared. They both had a backyard view thanks to all the windows on the top floor. Milan rolled on his bed, and then sat up with a yawn. His hair sticking out all over the place.

Rory grinned, watching Milan push the covers away and get out of bed.

His mate rushed to the bathroom, closing the door. The only source of privacy from Rory. Rory growled with impatience when Milan stayed in the bathroom close to twenty minutes. When Milan emerged from the bathroom with only a towel wrapped around his waist, Rory almost fell out of the tree. He dug his nails into the bark to keep his balance. It never got old, seeing Milan this way.

So sexy, so beautiful, all his…soon.

Rory sighed in disappointment when Milan entered his closet and returned wearing a white long sleeve t-shirt, and jeans. He sat on the unmade bed to wear his socks. When he was finished, Milan ran fingers through his curly hair. He grabbed his quilt and pulled it over the bed in one careless move.

Rory smiled when Milan then raced out of his room, rushing downstairs to the kitchen. He looked in high spirits, excited, and full of energy. It was nice seeing Milan this way.

Ilaria and Marie greeted Milan with smiles. The two women were discussing a trip to the grocery store in town. Rory’s smile widened when Milan declared he would marry Marie after taking a bite of breakfast. Ilaria’s acceptance of her daughter in-law was hilarious.

Then, Milan agreed to accompany his mother to the grocery store.

Rory jumped out of the tree and ran home at top speed. When he reached, he slammed in to the house without pausing. He took the stairs two at a time to his bedroom. Taking a shower, and changing into shorts and a t-shirt in record time, he ran back downstairs taking his car keys from the table in the hall. Impatience filled him when his father called out his name.

***

Milan walked down the stairs to the kitchen to find Ilaria creating a grocery-shopping list with Marie.

Buongiorno,” Milan said as he slid into a chair on the island table.

“Morning, Milan,” Marie smiled at him. “You look perky today. Your color is good. You want breakfast?”

“I could eat a horse,” Milan said with a grin.

“How is your chest?” Ilaria asked, moving around to touch his forehead.

“Clear,” Milan said, glad that he didn’t have to lie. He was energetic, like he could run for miles. He loved these good days more than anything in the world.

“Your temperature is normal. I was afraid your time outside three days ago would set us back.”

“I am as they say, ‘good as new’,” Milan said, accepting a bowl of porridge from Marie. He dipped his spoon in and took a bite with a small pleased moan. Food always tasted so good after a bout of illness.

“Marie, I’ll never marry anyone but you,” Milan declared.

Ilaria rolled her eyes at the usual declaration, and returned to writing her list.

“If I wait for you, I might become an old woman,” Marie said in reply to his declaration.

“Mamma, I’ve made my intentions known. What do you think of your daughter in-law?”

Ilaria looked up from her list, adjusting her reading glasses, to look at Marie. Marie was older than Ilaria by a few years, and had grown children already working back in Italy.

“Marie, I’m a very understanding mother in-law,” Ilaria said with a grin. “I’m even willing to listen and support you when he breaks your heart and leaves you for a young stud.”

A loud laugh rolled out of Marie, Ilaria joining her. Milan ate his porridge watching them laugh hard until their eyes had tears.

“I’m so glad I could amuse you early in the morning.” Milan took the orange juice Marie handed him and took a deep gulp. “Marie, I won’t make you cry. I promise.”

“I believe you,” Marie said, wiping her eyes with her apron. She stroked her fingers through his curly hair. “Meanwhile, my mother in-law is preparing to go to the grocery store in town. Do you want to accompany her as I clean out the house?”

Si, it will be nice to discover what Portento looks like.”

Milan finished his juice and belched.

Ilaria stared at him, her gaze full of amazement. Milan continued eating his porridge, looking up to find his mother still studying him.

“What?” he asked.

Did he have porridge on his chin?

Ilaria shook her head, leaning her elbows on the table, still watching him.

“When you’re done, go upstairs for your coat. Get the heaviest one. Wear the scarf Nonna made you, gloves, and your ninety-five mask. Don’t forget a hat. Okay?”

It was no use arguing with her. She was queen when it came to managing his health.

Milan nodded and concentrated on finishing his porridge.

***

“Rory!”

“I have to go, Dad.”

“We need to talk.”

“Yeah, yeah, I’ll be back this afternoon.”

Rory left the house and ran to his red mustang. He drove out of the parking lot too fast hoping to beat Ilaria and Milan to the grocery store.

In town, he parked behind the grocery store, and entered the building using the staff entrance. Everyone he met greeted him on the way to the security room. He found Andy, the man in charge of watching the cameras, sipping on a cola with his legs on the table.

“Andy.”

“What brings a Morgan here?” Andy asked, dropping his feet down, and sitting up straight.

“I just want to check on something,” Rory said, leaning over the camera screens monitoring the main floor.

He searched for Ilaria and Milan, but they hadn’t made it yet. Sighing in relief, he patted Andy’s shoulder, and left the security room. He found Linda in her office. She looked busy working at her laptop.

“Rory, you’re looking good. Heard you found your mate.”

“I need a favor,” Rory said.

“What kind of favor?” Linda asked, closing her laptop to give him her attention.

“Can I work in the store for an hour?”

“Why?”

“Coz,” Rory touched a little wolf statue on Linda’s desk.

“Oh my, is your someone special coming here?”

Rory fidgeted not about to admit that he had turned into a stalker. He wasn’t proud of it, but he couldn’t stay away from Milan. A tight vice settled around his heart, his very lungs, dictating that he know everything about Milan. Every laugh, every smile, every sigh…otherwise, and the vice tightened making it hard to breathe. He could not wait until school started to meet Milan.

It needed to be today.

“Please, Linda,” Rory said. “I’ll owe you a favor.”

“That’s a very enticing offer from a Morgan.”

Linda got up from her seat and walked to a counter on the left side of her office. She opened a cupboard and retrieved a red t-shirt.

“I’ll clear it with the floor manager.”

Linda threw the t-shirt in his direction and Rory caught it with ease. Removing his own t-shirt, he pulled on the grocery store t-shirt, sighing when it was too tight on his arms.

“Don’t you have a larger one?”

“All the large ones were taken by the staff.”

“Thanks for this.”

“I’ll collect at a later date,” Linda said, giving him a meaningful look.

Rory decided not to dwell on that, and left her office breaking into a jog. He headed out to the main store, slowing down when he saw Matt and Topher leaning on the customer care counter.

“What are you guys doing here?”

“We followed you from the house,” Matt said, tagging on the t-shirt Rory wore when he got close. “What’s with this? No longer into construction?”

Topher chuckled, and looked around the store, his gaze searching.

“You really couldn’t wait,” Topher said.

“Wait for what?” Matt asked, folding his arms against his chest.

The entrance doors slid open to admit Ilaria with her arm over Milan’s shoulders. The scent of mandarin oranges filled Rory’s nostrils, and he clenched his hands in tight fists.

***

Ilaria drove into Portento’s city square keeping to speed limits. The town cut a picturesque, old-fashioned figure. Most of the buildings constructed out of red brick, with white window frames.

“I bet they had a town meeting when they were constructing this place.” Milan joked. “They made a rule. If you don’t use red bricks for construction, they would feed you pine nuts morning, lunch and dinner.”

“How do you come up with these things?” Ilaria asked with a chuckle.

“The result is pretty though. I think it would be fun to discover more about the founding folks,” Milan said. “I’ve been searching online, and there is not much about Portento.”

“Papa also said the same,” Ilaria said. “Although, he did tell me that the hospital I’m working at is a new construction. Biosense funded it. A project started by the Mayor.”

“The power of corporations and politicians,” Milan said. “Speaking of which, Papa is working extra hard. I haven’t seen him in days. Will he make it for dinner tonight?”

“Of course.” Ilaria pulled into the town’s only grocery store. She parked her jeep and turned off the engine. “He wants to finish the formula for the medicine that will help you, cucciolo. Once it’s finished, you can spread your wings as wide as you like.”

“I wish he didn’t have to spend so much time at his lab. We barely see him now,” Milan sighed. “Because of me—”

“No, don’t say that.” Ilaria took his left hand and squeezed. “If Papa’s medicine works, it will help others like you.”

Milan squeezed her fingers too and tried not to feel guilty.

Ilaria patted his arm, and reached for her purse.

“All things aside, imagine this is an adventure, Milan. This close knit community will be our new home for now.”

Milan gave a short discouraged sigh.

“What? Why are you sighing?” Ilaria made him turn his head to meet her brown gaze. “Well?”

“This is not Italia, Mamma. This close knit community might be one that won’t let weird strangers like me mingle,” Milan said, shaking his head. “Just means that I’ll spend weeks as the lonely new kid in school.”

“Milan,” Ilaria frowned. “Don’t think that way. There will definitely be one or two friendly people. Trust me, yes?”

“You are so sure.”

“I’m very sure everyone will love my cucciolo, but none as much as I do,” Ilaria declared.

She opened her door, and Milan decided his mother was too biased.

Milan got out of the car, and slammed the door closed. He waited for Ilaria to walk around and meet him. She wrapped an arm around his shoulders, leading him to the grocery store entrance.

“I will miss the flea market behind Porta Palazzo,” Ilaria said as they entered the heated grocery store.

Milan grabbed a shopping cart from the long line at the entrance as his mother produced her grocery list.

“Do you think they will let me bargain here?”

Milan shuddered.

“Remember when you bargained for thirty baskets of blueberries from that farmer. You didn’t know you were bringing down the price for five baskets and he got you to buy thirty baskets for the price you wanted.”

“The blueberry invasion,” Ilaria said with a happy laugh. “Who can forget that saga?”

“If Ayu hadn’t made everyone at the Turin school come over for a party, we would have drowned in blueberries.”

“I still remember the sight of you two handing out blueberries as party favors. Your hands were stained purple for days. I was terrified you would fall sick through it, but you pulled through.”

“I never wanted to see a blueberry again,” Milan said shaking his head in amusement.

“Well, that proves I have great haggling skills. I will find a place here that allows me to haggle,” Ilaria decided. “Now, tomorrow is New Year’s, which means the first item on our list is…”

“Lentils,” they both said at the same time.

Milan turned the cart to head to the legumes aisle.

Lentil soup on New Year’s Eve was a tradition started by Ilaria’s grandmother. The family recipe was passed down from mother to daughter. Ilaria’s mother made the soup, and now Ilaria made the soup for her family.

Milan didn’t mind shopping with his Mamma. It was good walking the aisles with her, listening to her rambling. Their cart filled with foodstuff, supplies for the kitchen, detergents, and knick-knacks Ilaria insisted the house needed. His first day out in weeks, and even though it was in a grocery store, it felt good to be active.

***

Rory watched Ilaria and Milan enter the supermarket. They spoke rapid Italian. Something Ilaria only did with Milan as Ayu preferred English.

It left Rory in a constant state of frustration.

“Learning Italian will take too long,” Rory complained, watching Milan take an empty shopping cart. His hands covered in heavy black gloves.

“I see why you came running here,” Matt said with a sigh. “I hate to break it to you, buddy, but you’re turning into a stalker.”

Rory ignored Matt’s comment, his gaze on Milan and Ilaria. Their connection was enviable. Rory imagined if he had a mother, he would like her to be a lot like Ilaria. He watched them shop, moving with them so that he had a clear view, smiling when Milan laughed. Ilaria was amusing and seemed to get Milan laughing at every turn. She touched him a lot too: brushing hair out of his eyes, squeezing his shoulder, taking his hand, at times pressing her palm on Milan’s forehead. She asked his opinion on the groceries she picked out, even though Rory knew she probably knew more about them. They were like best friends.

When Milan left his mother’s side, Rory could not resist the urge to meet him. He followed Milan down the liquor aisle, heart pounding hard the stronger Milan’s scent grew. Then he met brown eyes and he lost, thoroughly and eternally.

***

“Milan, will you get two bottles of sparkling Prosecco? Your Papa and Ayu love to pop it at midnight. It will be fun.”

Si, I’ll be right back.”

Milan left the cart with her, heading to the liquor aisle. Milan removed his gloves as they were making him itchy, as he read the labels on the wine bottles, looking for Prosecco. For one, he hoped the store had it stocked. He could not remember a new year’s eve without a bottle of Prosecco. He was sure they would need to drive to the next town to find a sparkling wine to pop for the year.

“Hi.”

Milan turned to his left at the deep low-pitched greeting. Standing a few feet away was a very tall man in a red t-shirt labeled with a huge Portento Groceries logo. The t-shirt looked too tight, almost bursting at the seams on thick biceps. He reminded Milan of an American football player. He was handsome, this mountain of a man. Dark hair wild, sapphire eyes filled with concern, and when the left brow rose, Milan realized he had not replied to the greeting.

“Hi.” Milan smiled, forgetting Rory would not see it because of his mask. “You’re very tall.”

The handsome man smiled at Milan and what a sight it was.

“You’re very short.”

Milan felt heat flush his cheeks.

“I get my height from my mother’s side,” Milan said, conscious of his heavy accent. He should have listened to Ayu and practiced his English more.

That blue gaze returned to staring, and Milan focused on finding Prosecco bottles to escape it. He wore his gloves to feel busy.

“I can help you find what you’re looking for,” the tall man said.

Milan risked a glance at him, almost dropping his right glove.

“Really, I’m okay.”

“I work here.” The man pointed at his t-shirt. “I’m an attendant.”

“Your name, please. It’s weird to keep thinking of you as the tall handsome man,” Milan said.

“Rory.” The answer came fast. “Rory Morgan.”

“Milan.”

Milan held out his hand to Rory. It took a second for Rory to respond. Rory’s gaze stayed fixed on Milan’s hand a bit too long. Then, Milan bit his bottom lip when very warm fingers wrapped around his cool hand. Tight and firm, a handshake that warmed him to the bone.

Milan moved to pull his hand out of Rory’s, but Rory only tightened his grip. It was Milan’s turn to lift a brow. After a minute, Rory let go with a sheepish smile.

“Sorry. You’re looking for—”

“A bottle of Prosecco,” Milan said, returning his attention to the wine bottles.

He didn’t understand why his heart was racing. Rory was only being nice to him. To cover his nerves, Milan continued talking, pulling on his right glove. If his mother discovered they were off, she would pinch him with drama.

“It’s a standard for new year’s eve in our house. Without it, everyone will act as if the world has ended. Mamma says we need two bottles.”

“Prosecco,” Rory murmured under his breath. “It’s a type of wine, right? The bubbly kind?”

“Yes.”

Rory moved around Milan, touching Milan’s shoulders, as he shifted Milan to the side. He reached up on the top shelf and took two bottles holding them out to Milan.

“These ones?”

Milan took the bottles, checking the labels. Sure enough, it was Prosecco.

Fantastico, you saved us a trip to the next town. Thank you, Rory Morgan.”

Milan started to turn away from Rory, only to have Rory stop him with a hand on his shoulder. Milan met Rory’s gaze.

“Are you ok?” Rory asked.

Rory broke off, his hand dropping away from Milan’s right shoulder.

“I’m sorry. Do you live around here? I don’t think we’ve met before.”

“I’m new in town.”

“Well, it’s nice to meet you,” Rory said.

“Milan?” Ilaria called out.

“That’s Mamma,” Milan said. “If I don’t appear before her, she’s liable to screech down the place in Italian. Grazie for the help. Maybe, I’ll see you around?”

Rory nodded.

“I’d like that.”

“Bye.”

Milan waved at him, and hurried to the next aisle.

Milan found his mother studying canned tomato paste.

“How do you think the paste tastes?” Ilaria asked, as Milan placed the bottles of wine into their overfilled cart with care. “They do know that chopping real tomatoes and making fresh sauce is better, don’t they?”

“You’re a food critic, Mamma,” Milan teased, taking the can from her and returning it to the shelf. “I bet if it were up to you, the canning industry would die.”

“As it should, cucciolo,” Ilaria agreed, when Milan turned the cart toward checkout. “Unless we’re dressing olives, or making grape wine, vegetables should always be fresh.”

Yes, this was Ilaria at her finest.

Milan helped her arrange their items on the counter and looked up to find Rory bagging their groceries as the cashier checked them out. How had he gotten here so fast? Rory smiled at him, making Milan blush. He dropped his gaze down to the bag of fresh zucchini and artichokes he was holding.

“Milan?” Ilaria took the bag from him with a frown.

She touched his forehead, and he groaned in embarrassment at the mothering. He couldn’t help swiping her hand away, stealing a glance to see if Rory had noticed. Rory was busy arranging packages of toilet paper into a brown bag. Milan let out a relieved sigh and found his mother watching him. Her gaze moving from him to Rory, then back.

Ilaria grinned.

“I should buy a third bottle of Prosecco. Marie will be heartbroken this new year’s eve.”

“Mamma.”

“He’s cute, in that old barbarian Irish way. He feels wild. I like your taste, cucciolo.”

Milan’s face heated faster, the only thing that made this all better was that Rory did not understand Italian. Otherwise, the embarrassment would send him into an early grave.

Ilaria handed over cash for their purchases. She took her receipt and stopped when Rory started to push their cart of purchases.

“We can manage,” Ilaria said to Rory. “The place looks busy…”

“Don’t worry. He has permission to help you out,” a tall redhead said, coming to their side from the customer service desk. “My name is Linda Bennet. I run the Portento Grocery store. You’re new to town.”

Ilaria adjusted her hold on her purse to take the hand Linda offered in greeting.

“Dr. Ilaria Takeda,” she said, shaking Linda’s hand. “This is my youngest, Milan.”

“Nice to meet you, Dr. Ilaria. Milan. What a unique name you have. So handsome too, all that dark curly hair sneaking out of your hat. Are you Italian? I couldn’t help overhearing you when you came in.”

“We are a mix of Italian and Japanese,” Ilaria said with a shy smile.

Ilaria moved Milan away from the checkout counter so that they could give other customers space to maneuver.

“We moved here from Turin, Italy at the start of December. My husband’s work keeps us on the move.”

“Ah,” Linda nodded her smile genuine. “Well, Portento is glad to have you. Where are you staying? Close to town?”

Ilaria wrapped an arm around Milan’s shoulders. She was nervous. This was probably the first person she was talking to outside the hospital.

“We’re out on Shirling Street,” Ilaria said. “Not close, but not far.”

“I know the street,” Linda said, with a nod. “Well, I know what it’s like to be new in a place. Tomorrow is New Year’s and the town has a small party planned at the town hall in the afternoon. I’d like to invite you and your family. This way, you get to meet a few people.”

Ilaria looked to Milan, and when he didn’t protest, she took the invitation card Linda held out to her.

“Is it formal?” Ilaria asked.

“No, no,” Linda said. “Very casual, and you can even bring a dish made at home if you like.”

Ilaria nodded, and tucked the card into her purse.

“Thank you. We’ll be glad to attend.”

“Great.” Linda clapped, her smile returning. “Now, allow Rory to help you out. I insist.”

Ilaria sighed, giving Rory a short nod.

“This once,” Ilaria said.

Rory pushed their cart out the store with a wide smile. Milan adjusted his jacket when they got outside, the cold hitting him hard. Ilaria helped him adjust his scarf, making sure his surgical mask was fit over his nose and mouth. She pulled the hood of his jacket over his head.

When they got to their car, Ilaria unlocked it, opening the trunk.

“Let me move a few things,” Ilaria said, shifting a bag of medical supplies to the side. “Your name is Rory?”

“Yes, we’ve met before,” Rory said.

“Oh?”

“In the hospital, you treated my brother, Chris Morgan.”

“Right, the motorcycle racer,” Ilaria said, straightening up after clearing space. “How is he?”

“Doing fine,” Rory said, his gaze sliding to Milan, as he took a bag from the cart and arranged it in the trunk. “You asked me to look out for Milan in school.”

Milan stared at his mother in horror.

“Yes, I did.” Ilaria stuck her tongue out at Milan over Rory’s back. “You work here?”

“It’s temporary,” Rory said, taking the last bag from the cart.

Milan moved around him, taking the wine bottles out of the bag.

“They’re safest in the front with us,” Ilaria explained. “Well, thank you very much, Rory. I hope your brother feels better.”

“Will you make it to the party tomorrow, Milan?” Rory asked, pushing the cart out of the way.

Milan looked at his mother, and gave a small shrug.

“I’ll try to be there,” Milan said, knowing it was highly unlikely.

Rory nodded, and watched them enter their car as he moved to stand on the sidewalk.

“He looks interested in you,” Ilaria said, as she wore her seat belt. “A bit too eager if you ask me.”

“Mamma, you said he was cute earlier.”

“Yes, I did.”

Ilaria started the car and waved at Rory when he lifted his hand at them. She drove out of the parking lot a bit too fast, her gaze on the rear view mirror. Milan followed her gaze to see Rory watching them drive off. A tingle of recognition raced through him, quickly disappearing when his mother joined the main road and Rory disappeared.

***

(2018) (Lee Suilan)
  • Like 43
  • Love 45
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Rory has it bad.  Really bad.  And somehow I don't think anything dad says will change much, alpha dad or not.  

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Yes having someone staring into your bedroom for 3 days would freak anyone out. Best not let that slip until your bosom buddies Rory. 

And Milan knowing that Rory is going to be on the lookout for him at school, courtesy of his mom, is sure to put a wall of independence between them to begin with.

Can't wait to see what happens at the new years eve party.

Edited by Bard Simpson
  • Love 4
Link to comment
Quote

“He looks interested in you,” Ilaria said, as she wore her seat belt. “A bit too eager if you ask me.”

If only mama knew how eager!  Rory and Milan's first meeting went well.  I don't think Milan will hold his mom's request to Rory against Rory.  However, I am sure Rory will do his best to protect Milan, and that may cause some problems.  Rory just keeps getting into deeper trouble with his dad.  That talk is overdue.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..