Jump to content
    LillyLee
  • Author
  • 2,368 Words
  • 3,608 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My Prince - 5. Chapter 5

That morning the Prince proudly wore his new armour to train with his guard. There were many complimentary remarks, and more than a few surprised faces when they learned the apprentice blacksmith had done the work. Noah was glad knowing most of his guard was going to request the apprentice to make them armor, the work would build him a great reputation and the pay would go far. But at the same time a part of him didn’t want to share his blacksmith with anyone.

When he took up his sword in his left hand the soldiers seemed sceptical. Until he began the drills. The use of his left arm, along with the training and properly fitted armour, allowed the Young Prince to thoroughly impress everyone. He even managed to best his Captain in one on one.

When they were done for the day Captain Ares approached him. "You have been holding out on us Your Highness."

"And you have been holding back on me for years. I pray hope you do not treat all those you train so casually." The Prince retorted with a hard glare.

"My sincerest apologies your highness." He replied with a low bow, "Have you been training elsewhere?"

The Prince pursed his lips then turned away without comment.

*

That night Noah excused himself after dinner claiming a headache and retired to his room early. This night when he snuck out he took his pauldron and new sword, excited to properly thank his friend for the hard work and care that obviously went into his armour. He also grabbed the gift he had gotten for him, although undecided if he was going to give it to him. It was a small token really but Noah had braided the leather cuff himself and stamped it with an image of the flaming bird that was his friend’s namesake. He was beautiful and sleek. With a firey passion dancing in his eyes. He was tall and strong, lean muscles filled his body covered in smooth tanned skin. Majestic. That boy was made to wear a crown. Noah sighed as he swung his legs over his window ledge. He tried to stop himself from following that train of thought, it was dangerous and painful.

*

Phoenix paced by the wall in the backfield. The Young Prince was late and Phoenix’s mood swung back and forth between worry and anger. He held and daggers in the special sheath he had Grayson make for him, he really had hoped to give them to his friend as an apology and a goodbye. His chest hurt and his eyes burned. Why would his friend stand him up like this? Phoenix placed the daggers on the ground next to their tree and retrieved his sword. Running through drills to distract himself. He forced himself to stop thinking like that; perhaps he just couldn’t get away tonight. He was a Prince, kept carefully under guard. Phoenix ran drills until his arms ached; still there was no sign of him. Phoenix dug a hole under the tree and wrapping the sheathed daggers in a cloth he buried them inside; hoping to bury his feelings with them.

*

Noah made his way quietly through the streets, his hood up to hide his face. He had a bounce in his step, like he always did on his way to meet his friend. He had decided to give him the wrist cuff. It was his hope that even if the time came (as it surely would) when their friendship came to an end the blacksmith would still wear it and remember him. It would give him great pride if ever he saw it on his wrist. Perhaps he would wear it to the matching ceremony. To see it on his wrist when he was bound to another would make the process much less painful. As he neared the wall he saw his friend kneeling beneath their tree, he slowed down and crept quietly, hoping to sneak up on him. He was so busy watching he didn't realize someone was sneaking up on him. Suddenly a sharp pain exploded in his head and before he had time to scream out everything went black. His last thought was hopes that whoever had attacked him would not harm his Phoenix. The leather cuff dropped to the grass.

*

"Missing? What the hell do you mean missing?"

The kingdom was in upheaval, Guards scoured the village, when Phoenix arrived at the shop Owen told him to sit down. That there was grave news.

"Calm down, Phoenix. I am sure he is fine."

"How long has he been missing?" Phoenix jumped to his feet. This cannot be happening.

"Since last night. No one has seen him since dinner."

Phoenix turned and flipped the workbench in rage, tossing tools and metal scraps all over the shop. How could this happen? He had a full guard team that's supposed to watch him. They are always by his side...except when he sneaks out after dinner to meet Phoenix. The young apprentice froze, he had been so mad at the Prince for standing him up he didn't even think to go look for him. He had gone missing on his way to a training session. Phoenix spun to fact Owen.

"He was taken, was he not?"

"That is the belief, although they can not figure out how someone got into the castle and leave with him. Most likely they will ask for a ransom."

"I have to go after him."

"Relax, I know the Prince is important to you, but the whole Guard is out there looking for him."

"You do not understand..." Phoenix told his mentor softly, chin against his chest. "This is my fault. He wasn't taken from the castle."

"How could this possibly be your fault?"

"He snuck out. To meet me." Phoenix couldn't meet Owens gaze. He felt like he was going to be sick. Noah was out there somewhere, possibly hurt, he had to find him. Owen studied his apprentice for a moment before speaking. "Phoenix," he started softly. "How long have you been having an affair with the Prince?"

Phoenix's head shut up. "What?"

"I knew you were close, but I never realised just how close. I have seen the way you are with each other. It is obvious you both care deeply. "

"No, it is not like that. We have been training. He asked me to help him, his Guard goes easy on him and he knew he would never improve that way. We have been meeting in the backfield for the last month. He did not show up last night, I thought... He just... I thought. I am not sure what. But I was angry he was not there and went home. I should have gone looking for him." Phoenix flopped down on a chair head in hands.

"Phoenix, this is more than guilt. Is it not? You do care for him, greatly."

Phoenix nodded slowly without looking up. "I know I am a fool. There could never be... " Phoenix sighed. "I was going to tell him we should not meet anymore. I was not deluding myself into thinking our friendship would last."

"Did he know?"

"I am not sure. I never said anything, but...I do not know. Sometimes it seemed like he did. I have to find him, Owen, please give me a leave."

"There is nothing I can say to stop you is there?" Phoenix shook his head. "Your matching ceremony is in two days, Phoenix."

"I really do not care."

"No, I suspect you would not. You have your leave. I will hold your position for you. But, Phoenix, the King needs to know his son was not taken from the castle. There is a chance you will be punished severely."

"If I can save him I will bear any punishment to bring him home. And if I can not... Well there would not be anything he could do to me worse than knowing this is my fault."

"I will help you prepare for your journey. And then I will go to the castle to speak to the King, you will slip away while I am gone. Be careful, Son, who ever took him..."

"I know."

*

Phoenix returned to the backfield hoping to catch a trail, and to retrieve the daggers. He left his horse at the wall and prepared to leap over it when something caught his eye. He knelt down to retrieve what he now saw was a braided leather cuff. The craftsmanship was plain and without a masters flourish but well crafted nonetheless. A small Phoenix was stamped into the leather. Somehow he knew it was made by his Prince. He grasped the leather cuff and felt the panic that rose in his stomach. Noah had been here last night, right at this wall. He cursed himself; if he had been paying attention he could have stopped them. He leapt over the fence to retrieve the daggers and hoped he could pick up a trail.

*

Noah sat with his back against a tree, the bark biting into his arms which were tied behind his back. They had taken his armor and his sword, he could see them sitting on the other side of the camp. Five men sat around the fire, drinking and laughing, celebrating their successful kidnapping of the Prince. Noah tested his bounds again; they were too tight to get free. They had ridden hard through the previous night and the whole day before stopping to make camp. They believed no one was following, and Noah feared they were right. No one had known where he had been taking from. It would take them days to search the whole grounds for a trail to follow. It wasn’t long before the men began to nod off, drunk and exhausted. Noah tried to push himself up, bending his arms in ways he knew would cause pain had his adrenaline not been pumping hard. He overheard them talking about making their way to the harbour where a ship waited. He knew once he got there he would have no hope for escape. He heard a twig snap and froze, someone was approaching. Suddenly he felt a soft yet calloused hand cover his mouth and a hot breath on his ear.

“Do not worry, My Prince.” Phoenix’s voice broke through the sounds of the night.

Noah felt the fear that been holding his stomach tight melt away. Phoenix had come for him.

“Took you long enough, peon." He replied softly.

He heard a soft chuckle as the breath brushed against his neck. His bounds came loose and the feeling slowly came back to his hands. He rubbed his wrist as Phoenix pulled him to his feet.

“Come on, we must get out of here.”

“No, wait.”

“My Prince, we must get out of here. Before they awaken.”

“Phoenix, I need my armor.”

“Oh, Noah, I can make you new armor.”

The Prince shook his head stubbornly. “Please.” He asked looking deep into the older boy’s eyes. "They are out cold, drunk as skunks." Phoenix sighed deeply; apparently he could not deny his Prince anything.

“Alright, but we must be quiet and quick.” Phoenix put a hand on his friend's shoulder, “Stay here, please. I will get it.”

Noah grabbed his forearm just above the leather cuff. “Where did you get this?”

“I found it, by the wall around the backfield. Was it not meant for me?”

“Of course it was.” The Young Prince’s eyes dropped to the ground as he released his friend's arm, “Who else would it be for?”

Phoenix pulled the Prince close and rested their foreheads together. “It is truly beautiful, Noah. I will wear it always, with pride. But now is not the time, I will retrieve your sword and armor so we can be on our way.” Noah nodded as Phoenix slipped away.

Noah leaned against the tree and watched as his friend slipped soundlessly through the night, he picked up the pauldron and sword and headed back to the tree. He helped the Prince slip it on and buckled it with quick skill and handed the sword into his left hand. The boys looked at each other and smiled, neither noticed someone had come up behind them, their own sword drawn.

“Isn’t this a surprise?” A low and loud voice called out. The boys spun, swords drawn to face their opponent.

“Come to save the little Princeling have you? All by yourself?”

Phoenix stepped in front of Noah. “Trust me, it’s enough.” His spun his sword and took a battle stance. Noah spun his back to Phoenix’s as more of the men surrounded them.

“Uh, Phoenix, a little problem.”

“Come now, Noah. There’s only five of them.”

The first man surged forward, his sword swinging. Phoenix met his blow with a parry and the clash of steel. The man swung again and met Phoenix's sword, the younger man grabbed his opponent’s wrist and kicked him in the chest. The bandit landed on his back with a thud. Phoenix swung his sword once and returned to battle stance. A second bandit stepped up swinging. Their swords clashed three times before Phoenix disarmed his opponent and hit him in the face with the hilt of his sword sending him to join his friend on the ground.

"Who is next?" Phoenix asked viciously. The three remaining men closed in on them.

"Relax, My Prince. Remember what I taught you."

"Your faith in my memory is flattering, Phoenix."

Suddenly a voice spoke from the shadows. "Hold!" The bandits stepped back but did not lower their swords.

“Phoenix? You called him Phoenix.” The new voice spoke is shock. “It cannot be!” A large man with long black hair and piercing green eyes pushed through the circle. "Phoenix? What are you doing here?"

Phoenix's arm lowered in shock. “No.” The man stepped towards him, Phoenix stepped back bumping into Noah. “No.”

“Lower your swords! At once!” The man called out, the whole group responded immediately. “We will not harm you my son.”

 
Copyright © 2017 LillyLee; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Love that little twist at the end. This is one of my favorite stories on here. Can't wait to see what happens next!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

And so the plot thickens,good story i am so looking fwd to the next chapter and the growing love between two beautiful boys. (Boys are indeed Gods most wonderful creation).Huge sigh from me.

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Why am I getting the feeling that Phoenix's father is more than just a bandit? And what was the reason for his banishment? Hmm...The plot has indeed thickened.

Link to comment
On 01/25/2017 02:43 PM, Wesley8890 said:

Love that little twist at the end. This is one of my favorite stories on here. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Thanks so much for your review! I'm really glad you're enjoying my story :)

Link to comment
On 01/25/2017 11:45 PM, bubby1234 said:

And so the plot thickens,good story i am so looking fwd to the next chapter and the growing love between two beautiful boys. (Boys are indeed Gods most wonderful creation).Huge sigh from me.

Thanks for your review, very appriciated! I'm glad your enjoying the story :)

Link to comment
On 01/26/2017 01:03 AM, Reader1810 said:

Why am I getting the feeling that Phoenix's father is more than just a bandit? And what was the reason for his banishment? Hmm...The plot has indeed thickened.

Dun dun dun *shifty eyes*

Link to comment
On 01/25/2017 05:35 PM, droughtquake said:

And just when Phoenix was about to take out all the bandits… ;-)

I know, how dare they keep him from showing off for his little Prince ;)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..