Jump to content
    LillyLee
  • Author
  • 1,001 Words
  • 3,418 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My Prince - 1. Chapter 1

The matching ceremony was in one month and 18-year-old Phoenix was not excited. Most of the other children he had grown up with were more than ready to find out who their pair bond would be. They had spent the months coming up to it gossiping about who everyone would end up with. The most popular speculation was that he would be paired with Aurora; the librarian’s daughter. Honestly, he couldn’t see why anyone would think that. She was an intellectual and spent all her time reading and learning. Phoenix hated to read, he much preferred doing things with his hands. Not that Aurora would have been so horrible. She was kind and attractive enough. Phoenix would even consider her one of his closest friends. But he didn’t have any romantic feelings for her. Phoenix, actually, had no interest in any of the girls in his year. And he had no interest in spending his life with someone he didn't choose. Unfortunately, as a commoner it was his lot in life. Only nobility could choose their own mate. Phoenix didn't think it was fair, but his mother often reminded him life sometimes wasn't fair. There were worse lives than theirs, she would remind him, and they were lucky for what they did have. His mother had always been the sweetest women. Somehow always managed to stay optimistic.
His neighbor and close friend, Grayson, told him to trust the system. Mates were based on personality and ability tests administered the week before. The results were used to match each citizen with their perfect match. Success rates were high and most people found themselves happy with their pair bond. Phoenix 's friend was a good example; he had been paired last year and was madly in love with his pair bond Violet. Phoenix dressed as quickly as he could and headed out the door. If he was late for work again he was going to get an earful from the blacksmith.

 


Prince Noah wasn't looking forward to the matching ceremony either. He was 16 this year. As heir to the throne it would be his job to help the elders during the ceremony by officiating the bonds. Each citizen aged 18 would be bound with their life mates. There was no pressure or awkward encounters, no courting or need to impress. Commoners had it easy. Noah sighed as he clipped on his sword. His parents were already pressuring him to begin courting one of the ladies in the court, even though he had two years before he needed to marry. Unfortunately he had no interest in any of the women at court. They were shallow and their tongues were as sharp as their claws. And if he was completely honest, he wasn't attracted to even one of them. Noah headed down to the courtyard where he would be training with The Guard. He tried to push the ceremony out of his mind. Because he wasn't willing to admit the real reason he was dreading this year’s ceremony: this was the year his love would be paired with another. And once paired there's no getting out of it.

*

Phoenix wiped the sweat from his brow with the back of his hand and continued to hammer the sword he was repairing. It was hard and hot working with the blacksmith, but he enjoyed the physical labor and he was lucky to have a job. Work was scarce in the village these days, and many of the men and women in his year were without any at all. Most of their parents were losing jobs they had held for years as new and more efficient ways were being discovered, cutting back on the need of laborers. He threw the sword in the water to cool it and leaned back against the table for a rest. He had worked with the blacksmith, Owen, for almost two years. The older man often told Phoenix he had a natural talent. More often than not, Owen left Phoenix to his work without reserve or worry. Phoenix's swords and armor were the most sought after in the land, even though no one knew it was his work. Owen said as soon as he finished his apprenticeship he would give the boy the credit he deserved. For now he must pay his dues. Phoenix didn't blame him, he may be young, but he was wise enough to know no one would buy swords and armor made by a child. When the sword cooled he pulled it out and gave it a swing to test the balance. He gripped the handle and spun it twice. He loved the feel of a blade in his hand. Forgetting himself and his place, he lunged into some maneuvers. His sword sliding and gliding through the air. He was so entranced he didn't hear the bell ring as a customer walked in.

 

*


Noah called out for Owen, but there was no response. The Prince moved through the shop, broken shield in hand, looking for the blacksmith. If he hadn't been so distracted today he wouldn't be in this mess. He paused at the door to the back room and watched for a minute as the blacksmith's apprentice swung the sword around. His posture and technique was flawless, his footwork a dance. The older boy was wearing a thin tunic and Noah could see his muscles coil and roll. His messy red hair was damp from sweat and hung in his eyes. Even though his eyes weren't visible, Noah knew they would be a mesmerizing olive green. He shook his head to focus and cleared his throat to get his attention. The boy spun, sword in hand, and swung at the intruder. Noah raised his broken shield and the sword made contact. His shield shattered with a loud crack, the pieces dropping to the floor.

The apprentice dropped his sword and stared in horror. He almost just killed the Young Prince.

Copyright © 2017 LillyLee; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 31
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..