Jump to content
    LillyLee
  • Author
  • 1,209 Words
  • 3,276 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My Prince - 2. Chapter 2

Phoenix thought he was going to die of mortification. He had been so caught up in playing with the sword he almost ran through the Crown Prince. He dropped his sword with a clatter and fell to his knees.

"My Lord, my most sincere apologies, I beg your forgiveness. I did not mean to... What I mean is that..." Phoenix stumbled over his words; he dropped his chin to his chest in defeat. "Bloddy hell, I am sorry."

The Young Prince laughed. "Relax, Phoenix, I know you were not trying to kill me. I just startled you. Besides, I have asked you before not to be so formal with me, at least when were alone."

Phoenix looked around the shop, they were indeed alone. Climbing to his feet he asked softly, "Are you alright, Noah?" . Phoenix had made friends with the younger boy two years ago when he started working for the blacksmith. Of course he hadn't known he was the prince at the time. The boy came to see him a few times a week for over a month before Phoenix found out who he was. It was still a little awkward at times. Phoenix had trouble figuring out just how he should be treating his young friend. Especially now that he was named heir to the throne. It was hard to joke with and tease his friend as he once did knowing he would someday be the king. But somehow they made their friendship work.

"Yes, I am fine. But I am afraid my shield did not fare so well." He gestured to the three pieces on the floor. Phoenix's eyes went wide again. "Do not fret my friend; it was cracked already, pretty badly. That is why I was here, so you could repair it. But now I suppose I will be needing a new one."

"Owen is not here now; I am not sure when he will return. If you need it right away I can go look for him."

"Come now," the Young Prince jumped up on a table, his feet dangling. "Owen is never here anymore. We all know it is you doing all the work. We pretend it is him, give him the praise, but I have heard many of my Guard comment on your skill. I believe the popular opinion is that you have surpassed your teacher. I would agree of course." Noah smiled when he finished his praise.

Phoenix raised his eyebrow. "So you want me to make you a new shield behind my master’s back?"

"Nonsense, I would never ask you to betray him in that manner. When he returns we will tell him what has happened and he will get his due credit and payment. I do not have time for you to go running around the village looking for him."

Phoenix smiled as he gave a small bow, "I can have a new shield for you before dinner." His eyes flicked up to meet Noah's. "My Lord."

Noah felt his heart skip a beat at the breathless way the apprentice added 'my lord'. He swallowed. Phoenix would be paired to his life mate in less than a month; it was pointless to continue fawning over him.

"Before dinner would be fine." He managed to push out.

Phoenix examined the shield with a slight frown, "This is part of a set I assume. Shield, sword, the armor. It all matches, yes?"

"That is correct."

"I can not copy this." Noah frowned, but Phoenix continued. "But, give me a month or so and I can have a new set for you. Shield, sword, armor. Custom made of course, your sword is not weighted proper anyways."

"In truth?" Noah jumped off the table. "You have never done a full set before."

"I have done each piece separately. I will give you one of our generic shields for now and get to work right away." His voice was soft and steady, full business mode. "If that would please my Lord." He added with a sideways glance at Noah, as if he just remembered who he was talking to. Noah swallowed, that was a very dangerous sentence. It made him think of all the things the older boy could do to please him.

Before Noah could respond they heard the bell over the door ring.

"Phoenix?"

"Back here, Owen." Phoenix stepped away from the Young Prince.

"Sire, what brings you here?" Owen asked bowing his head in respect, but only mildly surprised. Prince Noah had come around less since he turned 16 and his duties became heavy, but Owen had gotten used to the young royal hiding out here.

Noah blinked, for some reason he felt like he had been doing something wrong. Luckily Phoenix wasn’t frozen.

"He needs a new set of armor." Phoenix replied.

"Oh, that should not be a problem." Owen smiled, work for The Royals was always good, payment and reputation wise. "I can get started right away."

Prince Noah stepped forward. "I mean no offence, Sir. But I would like to request Phoen... I mean, your apprentice, would be the one to complete this order. And mark it as his own." He spoke with respect, yet leaving no room for disagreement. The way only one raised to rule could. Phoenix's eyes bugged, he knew he would create it but he had yet to mark a piece as his own. For the Prince to wear his first piece of custom work would do wonders for his reputation. Not to mention the personal pride of seeing his friend wearing his creation.

Owen smiled and sat on a stool examining the broken shield. "I made this set for your father when he was about your age. It never fit you well and has seen far too much action. You should have received your own long before now. Do not worry my Lord; I take no offence to your request. I knew the day would come when Phoenix would receive credit for his work, and he deserves it. His work is outstanding and definitely worthy of my Lord's first custom set."

"I appreciate your agreement." Noah lowered his head in respect before turning back to Phoenix. "What information do you need to get started?"

Phoenix had already started sketching out a plan and wasn't paying much attention. His head popped up when Noah addressed him.

“Pardon?”

“Measurements and what not?”

The older boy went back to his paper, “Oh, no, nothing. I know your measurements. And I have seen you fight, I know your style. I have everything I need.” He spoke as if to himself, Noah was curious about how the apprentice had all the information. Phoenix looked up as if he had just realized what he said. but he shrugged it off like it was nothing and went back to his work. Noah smiled.

“Well, Sire, it seems we have lost him to his work for the rest of the day. I will try to leave him free as much as possible to work on your set. It is a great honour you have bestowed upon him.”

Noah nodded and after receiving a generic shield from the front of the shop he headed home.

 
 
Copyright © 2017 LillyLee; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

I'm happy to see that Owen is a good man and is supportive of Phoenix and his skill as a blacksmith. Good thing about this too is that Noah now has a genuine reason to be hanging around the shop again, doesn't he?
I just realized too that the set will take a month to make. Isn't it a month away from Phoenix's finding his life mate? I predict that will not go as planned....
Good story so far Lilly. I am looking forward to reading more about these two very likable MCs.

Link to comment

But Phoenix doesn't search for his own Life Mate, his match will be made for him. Sort of a mandatory eHarmony kind of thing.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..