Jump to content
    LillyLee
  • Author
  • 1,640 Words
  • 2,737 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My Prince - 6. Chapter 6

“Son?” Noah, exclaimed. “That is your father?” Phoenix didn’t say anything.

His father tooks another step closer, his eyes glued to his son’s.

“That is a beautiful sword, almost as beautiful as the Prince’s own. I wonder, has the old blacksmith’s talent grown so much in these past years? Or perhaps, someone else has taken up the art.”

Neither boy spoke, the older man took another step forward and Phoenix raised his arm once again.

“Why do you fear me my boy? Do you truly believe I would harm you? Do you not trust your own father?”

Phoenix took his battle stance, his eyes hard. “I have no Father.”

“Come my boy; let us sit by the fire, talk. Catch up. Come men, sit, relax.”

"You think I'm just going to sit with you?"

"You do not have many options. There are more of my men nearby. You took those out easily enough, but here's still 10 of us and only two of you."

The bandits began to return to the fire, helping their fallen friends. Phoenix did not move, and kept himself between Noah and the bandits. “I fear he is right, we cannot face ten men and we cannot outrun them My Prince.” He whispered over his shoulder.

“Play along Phoenix; I truly believe he will not harm you.”

“And what of you?”

“I suppose they will tie me back up. Do not fret my friend; I was becoming used to my spot. Like a second home.”

Phoenix spun around to face him. “Do not make jokes! They are mercenaries, barbarians. These men are pirates! They cannot be trusted. I will not let anything happen to you.”

“Your father…”

“Is as bad as the rest of them!”

“I do not mean to interrupt,” the man spoke up. “but will you be joining us, my boy?”

“What of my Prince?” The older boy responded without turning.

“What do you care? You are no knight, no Guardsman.” His father asked skeptically.

“I cannot allow you to harm him.” Phoenix’s voice was even and calm but Noah could feel the slight shake in his stance, the worry in his eyes.

“Bring your Prince, for all his fancy armor, I believe him harmless enough. Although, perhaps you should leave your swords there. You my son, make my men nervous.”

Phoenix scowled at his father before turning back to his Prince. He wasn't sure exactly when he started thinking of the Prince as his own, but he realised he had even started saying it out loud. He pulled a small cloth out of his cloak and unwrapped a double sheath holding two daggers. Using his body to hide his actions Phoenix slipped his hands under the Prince’s tunic and strapped the daggers to his side. His fingers were cold and Noah shivered at the contact. Phoenix held his finger to his mouth demanding silence. Before bringing it down he pressed his lips against two in a kiss then slowly laid them against Noah’s own. The Prince shivered and closed his eyes as he kissed the fingers the boy had offered him. Silently acknowledging and returning his affection. Phoenix smiled softly as he removed his sword, leaning it against the tree before leading the Prince over to the fire.

 

The two boys sat on a log across the fire from Phoenix's father.

“So, you have grown quite a bit since I last saw you. How old are you now?”

“Eighteen.”

“A man now. And your pair bond? Are you happy with her?"

Phoenix hesitated, eyes narrowing.

Noah stiffened. He hadn’t even thought about that, the ceremony would have been this morning. Missing the ceremony would get Phoenix in a lot of trouble and start his life out on badly with his mate. Then again, without the Prince there, maybe they postponed it.

Phoenix shrugged. “Do not have one yet.”

His father nodded. “Yes, I imagine you would be hard to pair. Maybe next year they will find someone for you. You are the new blacksmith, no? You're Prince seems very attached to his sword."

“Apprentice.”

“The pieces that belong to the Princeling? Your sword? Those are your work I presume?”

Phoenix nodded. “I am proud of you my son, you have great skill.”

“Do not call me that. I am no son of yours.”

Noah elbowed Phoenix in the ribs. “Be nice.”

“Yes, listen to your dear Prince. Manners, my boy.”

Phoenix scowled. “Let us get to the point. Whatever your plans are for the Prince, I am going to have to stop you. And as impressed as you are with how I craft a sword, just wait until you see me wield one.”

“Well, my boy, would you like to hear my plans?" His Father paused a moment. "I plan on bringing him far away across the ocean on my ship, sending word for ransom but in the meantime selling the young boy into slavery. He is a beautiful boy, and young enough I believe him to be untouched. He would fetch a pretty penny from any man whose tastes run that way. And let me tell you, there are many.”

Phoenix jumped to his feet; pulling a knife seemingly out of nowhere he launched it towards his father. It lodged in the cup the man was about to take a drink from.

“You missed.”

“Believe me when I tell you, I did not.” His fists clenched at his sides.

“You truly think you can stop me? There are nine fully trained swordsmen against two boys.”

“You think the King would send an untrained boy after his only son? You think that he would spend the money on custom armor, left handed, if his son was no swordsman?”

Phoenix gestured for Noah to rise and step behind the log they had been sitting on. The two boys backed up slowly towards their swords. “Would this pretty penny you believe you would get for the Prince be worth the life of your only son? Because I promise you, I will die before I allow you to take him.”

The bandits had jumped to their feet swords drawn, they began to close in. Phoenix gave his sword a few twirls and Noah could see the bandits hesitate.

“And what of my men? They were promised payment for their services.” His father spoke, moving closer with his men.

The bandits came closer, the first sprang to attack. Phoenix stepped forward to meet him, their swords clashing. Phoenix wasn’t feeling them out anymore, he was quick and ruthless. The bandit was down in moments with a hole in his gut.

“Consider their lives as their payment.”

The second bandit surged towards Phoenix and another towards Noah. The men were both despatched quickly. Noah was proud he had remembered what Phoenix had taught him.

"You think I can just let you leave? Your loyalty to the crown is obviously absolute."

"I hold no loyalty to the crown." Phoenix replied, surprising Noah who dropped his sword arm and looked back over his shoulder to look at his friend. It was a mistake that left him open; the bandit in front came forward and swung at him. He moved fast, but Phoenix was faster. He grabbed the younger boy by the waist and pulled him out the way blocking the attack. He swung his sword back and slashed the man’s gut.

"No loyalty to the crown you say?" His father asked amused.

Phoenix glared at the bandits around him, three down seven to go.

"My loyalty is to the Prince alone."

Phoenix's father tilted his head and studied his son. He held up his left hand and the bandits took a step back.

"What would you give for his freedom?"

"What do you want?"

"You."

Phoenix moved to sheath his sword, Noah grabbed his arm.

"Dare not Phoenix. I will not leave without you."

Phoenix turned to face his friend, his eyes soft. "He will not hurt me. You needn’t worry about me."

"And what is to stop them from coming back for me?"

Phoenix gave him a small smile. "No more sneaking out and you will be safe."

Noah shook his head. "I will not leave you here!" He hissed.

Phoenix stepped closer and put his free hand on his Prince's waist, their faces inches apart. "I have to protect you. I could not live with myself if anything happens to you."

"And I cannot live without you. Please, there must be another way." Noah felt his eyes burn and he squeezed them shut. He could not afford to get emotional in front of the bandits. Phoenix raised his hand to cup the young Prince’s cheek, his thumb rubbed against his lip. Noah shivered. Suddenly Phoenix's arm was tight around his waist pulling him close. Though he couldn't see with his face buried in the taller boy’s chest, he felt him raise his sword arm and fight off an attack. With a kick to the chest Phoenix sent the bandit to the ground. The boy spun around to face his father.

"You and you're men are cowards!" Phoenix spat.

"I am getting impatient. It seems the Prince will not let his pet go. For that is what this is all about is it not? My son has become the Young Prince's plaything. I bet the King does not know, he would never allow it. I guess my presumption that he was untouched is wrong." The bandits laughed. "You are disgracing this family boy! Step away from the prince or you will taste our steel."

Phoenix slowly released the smaller boy and raised his sword. Noah spun so his back was against his friend, also taking a battle stance.

"You are now four men down. You steel does not frighten me, old man." Phoenix spat.


 

Copyright © 2017 LillyLee; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 01/29/2017 04:18 AM, JeffreyL said:

More good reading! I'm really enjoying this adventure. Thanks. Jeff

Thanks for taking the time to review! I appreciate your interest :)\

Link to comment
On 01/29/2017 12:55 AM, Wesley8890 said:

I don't see things going well for daddy dearest. Can't wait for the next chapter

Thanks for taking the time to review, I hope you're enjoying the rest of the story!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..