Jump to content
    LitLover
  • Author
  • 2,556 Words
  • 5,721 Views
  • 30 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Choices - 28. Chapter 28

Chapter 28

 

Liam hurriedly fluffed cushions and swiped at imaginary specs of dust on furniture as he scanned the apartment in search of any further preparations needed before the guests arrived. Elena had texted a few moments before to let him know she and Natascha were on their way with the ingredients to make dinner. He had hoped to prepare everything himself, but was honest enough about his cooking abilities to know he needed help.

When the doorbell finally rang, he opened the door to two smiling faces looking back at him.

“Bratik,” Natascha said warmly, pulling Liam into a hug. “It’s wonderful to see you again.”

Bratik? Liam wondered at the term, but the affectionate and happy smiles from the sisters told him whatever the word meant, it wasn’t bad.

Elena held up the cloth grocery sacks she was carrying and grinned. “We have everything here, so we can get started as soon as you show us to your kitchen.”

Grabbing the bags, Liam led the way with two happy, chattering women following close behind. “What are we making?” he asked while trying to get a glimpse at the items he carried. He’d left the dinner choice to Alek’s sisters, since he knew they’d be doing most of the preparation work while he would be their sous chef.

“Lasagna,” Nat replied, pulling ingredients out and placing them on the counter. “It’s one of Alek’s favourites, and Elena’s lasagna is amazing.”

Elena blushed at the compliment. “It’s not that good.”

“Please,” the older sibling scoffed. “You know Dad always insists you make it, not Mama. Hers is okay, but there is never enough cheese.”

At the mention of Alek’s parents, Liam squirmed, feeling uncomfortable. “So,” he said, pretending to be engrossed in the label on the mozzarella package, “I guess they’re both still pretty angry with Alek?”

Elena wrapped a slim arm around his shoulders and squeezed him tight. “Don’t worry about them. It’s their choice not to have our brother in their lives.”

“I feel like it’s my fault. I know how much he misses them… especially your mother.”

“Mama knows his number,” Natascha replied, sounding bitter. “She could call him if she wanted. Don’t put this on yourself.” The older Petrov placed a warm palm against his cheek and stared at him for a moment before turning away with a nod. “Alek made the right choice. He’s happier than I’ve seen him in years. That is because of you, not this bullshit with our parents.”

Elena nodded in agreement as she opened cupboard doors and pulled out pans and a cheese grater. “I didn’t think Aleksei knew how to smile so much,” she said, winking at Liam and making him flush with pleasure. “The stress of living in the closet had been weighing him down for years. I was getting worried about him, especially after you two broke up. He was drinking so much.”

“He was?” This was news to Liam.

Elena grimaced. “It was getting bad. I would show up at his house some days and he’d reek of booze. It didn’t happen every day, but he was never a big drinker before… well you know.”

Liam had to agree with that assessment. Alek rarely drank, and would often limit himself to a beer or two when he did partake. He’d told Liam he didn’t like being out of control, and being drunk made him feel that way.

“I have to admit, I feel guilty about that. If I hadn’t left him….” Liam trailed off and bit his lip. He looked up to find Nat and Elena assessing him.

Nat shook her head and sighed. “I didn’t see him as much as Elle, but I know he was using the alcohol to dull his pain.”

Liam winced, wondering where she was going with this.

“But,” she continued, taking a deep breath, “his decisions aren’t on you. He knew the consequences of not coming out. It was hard, and it hurt him, but you leaving was the best thing you could have done. Staying would have only made you resentful, and forcing the issue could have broken you up anyways. Aleksei needed to tell our parents in his own time, and now that he has it’s like a weight has been lifted off his shoulders.”

“Your parents sound like they took it hard?”

Elena laughed, but the sound wasn’t a happy one. “That’s an understatement. Dad threw things, and Mama cried. She won’t even talk about it. When I bring up Alek, she says she’s waiting for our father to deal with it, whatever that means.”

While they talked, Liam and the sisters put together two large lasagnas as well as a couple of good-sized salads, and a tray of finger foods. Elena thought lasagna would be a good way to feed everyone with minimal supervision during the baking process. Setting the timer, they retreated to the living room with glasses of wine to await the guests arrival.

“I know I gave you a hard time when you called me after your accident, Li, but you should know how happy I am that you’re back in my brother’s life.”

Liam turned a surprised gaze to Natascha. “I understand how you felt, now that I know what Alek went through,” he said, twisting his mouth is a grimace. “It must’ve been hard to see someone you loved hurting so much.”

“It was difficult for us knowing you were hurting too, bratik,” Natascha replied, giving his forearm a squeeze. “It was as hard on you as it was on Aleksei.”

“Okay, I have to ask,” Liam said, sitting forward and placing his glass on the coffee table. “Bratik?”

Nat flushed a little and bit her lip. “It’s a term of endearment in Russia,” she explained.

“It’s a pet name for brother,” Elena added.

“Oh.” Liam was happy they thought so highly of him, but was also acutely aware of the expectations that affection could bring. He and Alek were progressing very well in their relationship, and didn’t need any additional outside pressure.

“Relax,” Nat said, breaking into his thoughts. “I can see that mind of yours working overtime to over-analyse this. I like you, and you’re good for my brother. If you marry Alek, I’ll be thrilled, but no pressure. I promise.”

“I’m not promising the same,” Elena said cheekily with a smirk on her face. “I reserve the right to make kissy noises and ask when the wedding is at least once a month.”

Liam shook his head and grinned at the young woman. “I wouldn’t expect anything less from you.”

 

Liam looked at his cell phone for what felt like the hundredth time and heard an impatient sigh behind him.

“I doubt he’s texted since you checked two seconds ago,” Bryce teased.

Liam turned his head and stuck his tongue out at his friend. He had a right to be anxious. Alek had been held up, and said he would fill Liam in when he got there, but wouldn’t go into details on the phone. Liam’s curiosity warred with his nerves over the surprise dinner for residence in his thoughts. Luckily Alek didn’t seem to have any idea about the party.

“I just want everything to be perfect.”

“Then you’re going to be disappointed,” Jason said as he sat on the couch beside him. “Nothing is ever perfect.”

“Thanks.” Liam muttered. His friends were really not helping.

“Don’t worry so much,” Corey chimed in, sliding onto his husband’s lap. “You did a great job organizing this, and dinner smells amazing. You know Alek would have been just as happy with pizza and beer, so you’ve already exceeded his expectations.”

Liam smiled gratefully at his boss. “I know. This is going to be a hard day for him because of the situation with his parents, and I want the party to be a nice distraction.”

“It will be,” Natascha said, sipping her wine. “Aleksei loves you, and the fact that you planned this for him is going to make him very happy.”

The doorbell rang and Liam stood quickly, ignoring the amused chuckles of his friends as he hurried to open the door, telling them to hide as he went.

“You finally made it,” he greeted his boyfriend breathlessly.

“Sorry I’m late,” Alek said after giving Liam a lingering kiss hello.

“I figured it had to be something important.”

“More like surprising. Mom called to wish me a happy birthday.”

“Really? That’s wonderful… and unexpected.”

“It wasn’t a long conversation, but she told me she loved me. Saying I was surprised she would go behind dad’s back to contact me is an understatement. I don’t know what to make of it, but I don’t want to think about it anymore tonight. Right now I just want to concentrate on you.”

“Speaking of surprises….” Liam looked over his shoulder and then back at his boyfriend. “I have one for you.”

“Oh?” The hungry gleam in Alek’s eyes made Liam blush.

“Not that kind of surprise, perv,” he said with a nervous laugh. “Come on. Let me show you.”

Liam laughed as he tried to brush off Alek’s wandering hands, not wanting everyone to see Alek feeling him up. “Behave yourself.”

“No.” Alek snaked an arm around his waist and pulled Liam back against his chest. “I missed you.”

“I missed you too.”

“Oh, for Christ’s sake,” Bryce said from somewhere in the dark. “Get a room.”

“What?” Alek said, peering into the room over Liam’s shoulder, his eyes widening when the light turned on and everyone shouted ‘Surprise!’

A stunned looking Alek waved sheepishly at the assembled group. “When did you plan this?” he asked, turning to Liam. “And how did Corey manage to keep it a secret?”

“Hey,” Corey grumbled. “I can keep a secret.”

“Of course you can, babe,” Jason assured, earning him an elbow to the ribs.

“Elena? Natasha? You’re here too?” Alek’s voice softened when he spotted his sisters grinning at him.

“Of course we came,” Elena responded, stepping forward to pull her brother into her arms.

“Nat, I thought you were stuck in Ottawa at an open house?”

“I guess that means you’re not as good as figuring out when I’m lying to you anymore,” Nat said, sounding smug.

“Only if I can’t see your face,” Alek responded with amusement shining in his eyes. “You could never tell a lie face to face.” He reached out and pulled Natascha into a family hug, and pressed kisses to the tops of their heads. “I’ve missed both of you.”

“I know why you’ve been staying away from the house and family dinners, but we could still spend time together, you know,” Elena scolded. “I haven’t seen you in weeks, and you didn’t return my last text.”

“I’m sorry, sestrichka. I know I haven’t been the best brother, but I promise to make more time for you.”

“You’ve been busy getting your life together, Alek. I understand that,” Elena said quietly. “Just don’t forget Nat and I love you.”

Liam felt a pang of guilt, knowing he was the one responsible for taking up most of Alek’s free time. It didn’t sound as though either sister held that against him, but it didn’t make him feel any better about eating up so much of his boyfriend’s time.

“Maybe the three of you can spend some time together tomorrow?” he suggested.

“You and I were going to go watch a movie tomorrow,” Alek said, looking concerned.

“We can go to the movies any time,” Liam replied, “but Nat is only here for the weekend. You should hang out with your sister while she’s in town.”

“Liam,” Nat cut in. The tone of her voice sounded almost scolding. “You don’t have to run off. We’d like to see you too. You’re a big part of Aleksei’s life, and that means you’re a big part of ours.”

“Why don’t we all go see this movie together?” Elena interjected. “It’s been ages since I’ve been to one.”

“Alek? What do you think?” Liam looked to Alek for his reaction and found the man smiling affectionately at the three of them.

“I think it’s a great idea. We could go out for Chinese first, since Nat loves it so much.”

“It’s a date,” Elena said excitedly, clapping her hands together.

“Now that family bonding time is over, let’s get this party started,” Bryce called out, making the rest of the guests laugh.

“Bryce,” Elena cooed, walking up to him and kissing his cheek. “I know you love me.” Bryce and Elena had only met a short time ago, but immediately hit it off. Liam suspected a friendship could easily blossom between the two, if given the opportunity.

“We could make beautiful music together, gorgeous, if only you had the right equipment,” Bryce lamented with an exaggerated sigh.

“Oh, I know the kind of equipment you prefer to work with,” Elena replied, looking at the nearby Nathan with an appraising eye, making the man blush bright red and hide behind his bottle of beer.

While Elena and Bryce continued their playful banter, friends started to approach Alek to wish him a happy birthday. Liam was pleased everyone stuck to congratulations, and didn’t grill the poor birthday boy. It did Liam’s heart good to see his boyfriend laughing and enjoying himself.

Liam excused himself to check on dinner, but didn’t even make to the oven when he felt arms circle around his waist.

“I can’t believe you did this for me.” Alek’s warm breath and deep voice sent a shiver down Liam’s spine.

“I love you,” he replied, leaning into the larger body. “I wanted to make the day special for you.”

“I thought I would never get to hear you say those words to me again.” Alek pressed a kiss into Liam’s hair, and hugged him a little tighter. “And for the record, today would have been special even if it was just the two of us, because I would be spending it with you.”

Liam turned in Alek’s arms, wrapped his arms around his neck, and stretched up for a kiss. “Since when did you get so sappy?” he asked teasingly.

“Since you allowed me back into your life.”

Liam felt a lump forming in his throat. “Go on,” he said hoarsely. “Go enjoy your party. Dinner won’t be long.”

After a last, lingering kiss, Alek turned and sauntered out of the room. Liam watched the disappearing view, and adjusted himself once he was alone. “God,” he whispered to himself. “The things I’m going to do to that man later.”

The lasagnas were done, but needed to sit for a few minutes. Liam left them to set while he took the opportunity to run to the bathroom. After washing up he stepped into the hall, and heard voices coming from his bedroom. Curious, he walked in that direction and noticed the door was partly open.

“All right,” Alek’s voice drifted through the opening. “You said you wanted to talk? I can guess it’s about Liam and me. Should I have worn my hockey cup?”

Alek sounded amused instead of irritated, so Liam decided not to interfere. ‘This should be interesting,’ he thought, wondering which one of his friends was getting ready to grill his boyfriend.

A big thank you goes out to my editor/beta and dear friend, Gary, for all of his great advice, time and support. :hug::kiss:  Thank you to all of you who read and support this story. :thankyou: 
Copyright © 2017 LitLover; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 66
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I'm so happy for Liam and Alek, curiosity has got me about who's in the room with Alek. I think Bryce is too obvious a choice, plus I don't think he'd care who was listening. Oooh! maybe it's Nathan. Please don't too long to post. Thank you for another heart warming chapter, you're awesome. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Aww damn cliffhangers, at least I didn't cry, yet. I'm guessing its either Bryce or Corey. Of course it could be a sister too....

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Well, that was certainly a successful birthday party so far. My guess is Jason, who's the only one also playing hockey. :lol: And Alex has already started to become friends with him.

But I guess the best birthday present was Liam saying I love you and telling Alek he did it for him. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Bryce had two of the best lines!

 

 

If I had been the one talking to Alek in Liam’s bedroom, he would need the whole hockey outfit! The mask to protect his face, pads everywhere, and skates to get away! (Just kidding, I’m not a fighter. But he’d want them metaphorically because when I was done with him, he’d feel like he got beaten up! And he’d want to get as far away and as fast as possible!)

Link to comment

Sounds like a nice party. It was good to get the family view of Alek and Liam from the sisters. Now to figure out who is the first guest to give Alek the third degree. Thanks.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

Great party, including the parting quip!

 

lol thank you for your comments and support. DDK :) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Bndmetl said:

I'm so happy for Liam and Alek, curiosity has got me about who's in the room with Alek. I think Bryce is too obvious a choice, plus I don't think he'd care who was listening. Oooh! maybe it's Nathan. Please don't too long to post. Thank you for another heart warming chapter, you're awesome. 

 

You'll have to wait for a week to find out, but I am happy you enjoyed this weeks chapter :) 


Thank you for your wonderful comments and support :hug: 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Wesley8890 said:

Aww damn cliffhangers, at least I didn't cry, yet. I'm guessing its either Bryce or Corey. Of course it could be a sister too....

 

lol well I do have to live up to my moniker once in a while :P  Hopefully this cliffie wasn't too bad ;) 


Thank you for your comments and support, Wesley :hug: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, deville said:

Old world listen to your Husband ethics are so hard to break. It really says something about Alex's mother that she phoned him on his birthday and told him she loved him. Especially after what the sisters told Liam. Seems the girls in his family are far more liberal ( mom included) . Great chapter . 

 

It can be hard to combat old world prejudices and attitudes.  The women in the family seem to be doing a pretty good job of it so far though.

 

Thank you for your comments and support, deville :) 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

Well, that was certainly a successful birthday party so far. My guess is Jason, who's the only one also playing hockey. :lol: And Alex has already started to become friends with him.

But I guess the best birthday present was Liam saying I love you and telling Alek he did it for him. 

 

lol yes, Jason would understand what a hockey cup was for sure :P  I agree, I think the best present Alek would have received was Liam admitting he loved him. :) 

 

Thank you for your comments and support, Tim :hug:  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Crazyd1965 said:

I think its Nathan with Alek and lets hope he doesn't have the hots for him.

 

Well, you'll know next week if you're right :) 


Thank you for your comments and support, Crazyd :)  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Bryce had two of the best lines!

 

If I had been the one talking to Alek in Liam’s bedroom, he would need the whole hockey outfit! The mask to protect his face, pads everywhere, and skates to get away! (Just kidding, I’m not a fighter. But he’d want them metaphorically because when I was done with him, he’d feel like he got beaten up! And he’d want to get as far away and as fast as possible!)

 

Damn, poor Alek.  I think he might have to duck and cover when you're around :P  


Thank you for your comments, and support Drought. :hug:  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, JeffreyL said:

Sounds like a nice party. It was good to get the family view of Alek and Liam from the sisters. Now to figure out who is the first guest to give Alek the third degree. Thanks.

 

The dinner scene in my head was a lot of fun.  I could practically hear the laughter :)  


Thank you for your comments and support, Jeff :)  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Lux Apollo said:

Joyful chapter, even if the ending leaves us hanging... you!

 

lol Thank you, Lux :hug:  

  • Like 3
Link to comment

 “I reserve the right to make kissy noises and ask when the wedding is at least once a month.”

 

:rofl: I love both the sisters. They are good for Liam and I suspect good for Alek as well.

 

My guess for the bedroom conversation is Natasha, she would be forthright enough for Alek to require the hockey cup :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
35 minutes ago, Bucket1 said:

 “I reserve the right to make kissy noises and ask when the wedding is at least once a month.”

 

:rofl: I love both the sisters. They are good for Liam and I suspect good for Alek as well.

 

My guess for the bedroom conversation is Natasha, she would be forthright enough for Alek to require the hockey cup :)

 

31 minutes ago, Bucket1 said:

PS I agree with Liam, the next chapter should be interesting :)

 

haha I really like both sisters too.  Elena is a hoot, and I really see her and Bryce clicking.  Nat is the more reserved sister, but she's also protective of both siblings.  I wouldn't want to mess with her ;) 

 

Thank you for your comments and all of your support, B :hug:  

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Another awesome chapter, and I do have a guess, but I'll keep it to myself :X  . It looks like Mom is thawing. It's a start anyway, but what is most important is that Alek has his sisters and a circle of friends who love and respect him. It's important for him to realize he's got that... the fears involved in coming out can be about what you might lose... and it should really be about what you gain. This surprise party shows that well... well done, my friend... Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Mom called? Might she be cracking? And does dad know? Hmmm...

The dinner sounds like it's a good time. Love Alek's sisters..the friends are being just that. 

 

Nice, Lit.. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 8/4/2017 at 2:09 PM, Headstall said:

Another awesome chapter, and I do have a guess, but I'll keep it to myself :X  . It looks like Mom is thawing. It's a start anyway, but what is most important is that Alek has his sisters and a circle of friends who love and respect him. It's important for him to realize he's got that... the fears involved in coming out can be about what you might lose... and it should really be about what you gain. This surprise party shows that well... well done, my friend... Cheers... Gary....

 

lol I think everyone has a guess, and each one seems to have a good reason for the choice.  Mom does sound like she's thawing.  Maybe the reality of losing her child is scarier than having that child love someone of the same sex?  I guess we will have to wait to see if anything comes of the call.

 

Thank you for all of your support and your wonderful comments, Gary. :hug:  

  • Like 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..