Jump to content
    Lugh
  • Author
  • 2,110 Words
  • 2,522 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Spring - People Are Strange Entry

It Was a Holy Day - 2. 2

Out of Town Guests

Clereva smiled at the serving girl as the girl finished serving the tea. Dismissing the girl once it was poured; she turned her attention back to her unwanted guest – her sister-in-law -- Uliza. “So you and the children are staying with us for a few weeks according to Jozet.”

“Bravil sent Gawen to witness your brother’s wedding. Granted, he is the youngest legitimate heir, but the others are needed at their father’s side. Jozet suggested to Bravil he come. I know the official invitations have not gone out yet, but maybe the boy can be of some use.”

“The official ceremony may not be for months yet. Father has only set a date for him to produce his Bound, not set a date for the official ceremony.”

“Produce his Bound?” Uliza asked as she worked on her embroidery.

“Yes, it seems my baby brother is a bit feather brained,” Clereva chuckled. “He showed up single to announce he was Bound, after the gods informed him on a High Holy Day. You should have seen him facing Father. It was as if he hadn’t even considered the idea of being Bound, or the girl he might be Bound to.”

“I can’t imagine what your people go through, trusting your gods to pick your mates.”

“Is it any worse than trusting your father? Jozet has been good to me and he’s given me three boys who are still in line for the throne.”

“Only until Anarix has a son of his own or even a daughter if he can see her grown and Bound with a son of her own before he passes,” Uliza reminded her. “Succession is something we deal with all the time although there are five boys. What would happen if one went to the church and another died in battle? At what point can an illegitimate boy become heir or can he? Annoying. And then there are the girls -- every last one of them acknowledged.”

“How do you feel about that?”

Uliza shrugged, “They are girls. He acknowledged them. I can do what I want with them.”

“Where are they now?”

“Oh I brought them with me. Bravil suggested I do so. I left them in the solar, sewing.”

“I believe Gawen is the same age as Torzet. You must be looking for a wife for him, at least inquiring into the families of eligible young ladies.”

“Yes, we have started introducing him to young ladies of proper breeding, but it is not a choice we can make. Have you found anyone for your boys?”

“We are in negotiations with families for the elder two boys. With so many brothers, none really feel a rush to marry and reproduce and their father doesn’t seem to be in much of a hurry to press them into it as he is of the opinion he was thrust into marriage too young. Personally, I would prefer their wives to have a little more experience behind them so we are opting for a longer engagement with ceremonies up to two years away.”

“The eldest will be what twenty-two then?”

“About that.”

Clereva laughed. “My boys were calling Anarix “Uncle Prude” because he was not Bound by that age and now he is well beyond it. Are you sure the boys agree with your plan?”

“My boys will not bond like your boys, Clereva. It is not our way. We can make good matches for our boys, and for the girls without the added burden of the gods trying to choose our children’s spouses for us.”

“You don’t think the gods choose well for us?”

“I don’t think the gods have as much say in the choice as your priests seem to want you to believe. Look at your father. His first wife bore him two sons. Both of which died in their youth, so he had to have another woman bear him a child when his wife, your mother, was unable to bear him one. Why? Only because he wanted a son of his own to inherit the crown -- not a grandson – not your son. Then that child was sickly as an infant. Anarix barely made it out of the nursery, yet his Elmera, born a scant year later in hopes of a second son, was hale and hearty. How does anyone explain that?”

“My brothers were clumsy beasts always challenging the other to a more daring or difficult task. One fell from the tower wall and broke his neck. The other was tinkering with things in one of the storage sheds. The entire shed blew up with him inside. He was not the only one injured or killed that day. Mother was injured and unable to have any more children after that. It was why she agreed to allow Father to try to have a son. Tertesa and I were not marriageable yet and would not be for a few years. The kingdom needed an heir. We were all in mourning.”

“It’s understandable I guess, but having a bastard inherit would never happen in our land,” said Uliza. “Honestly, Anarix has a better chance of inheriting by our laws than the bastards do.”

“Anarix? How?” Clereva squeaked.

“Well, and this is a long shot, but my husband must die, and all his sons, and your husband, and all his sons, then there would be Anarix and some boys who are not old enough to rule. If the boys are old enough, they would have priority, but until they are…” Uliza shrugged. “But there is no need to worry over these things, nothing will happen to my husband or yours. Now, I really must be getting back to my girls. I hope all goes well for Anarix, that his bride is worthy of him and the kingdom.” She stood, “Will Torzet or Alvaz be available to entertain Gawen? His father promised him he could go out to the town some while he was here to relieve his natural urges. He gave the boy some coin although he said with his name and good looks he shouldn’t need much.”

“I will speak to Alvaz as soon as he shows up. His tutor told us he has him on a special project. Torzet is not allowed in town unaccompanied due to his status as Eldest Unbound. It is a religious restriction.”

“But Gawen would be accompanying him.”

“Accompanied by his father, a quad of guards, or a priest; I’m sorry I was not clear.” Clereva smiled, “He’s not exactly happy about it. I think he’s beginning to understand why Anarix was such a prude.”

 

 

Sisterhood of the Traveling Plants

Elmera had not been idle while Gilban had been away. There was little she could do as a woman in her father’s household but she truly hoped it would be different under her brother. Gilban was different and she was thankful for it. She did not know her brother’s thoughts that well on the subject of women, but they had the same education until the day the Queen nearly had an apoplexy to see her riding astride holding a sword. That was when she had to learn to sew. But her father was funny. He made Anarix learn to knit, in the Queen’s solar no less. He said it was a manly endeavor and quite traditional. It was. Rix had looked it up, but he was still not any happier about it.

However, it did become quite the social event with the young men in one corner chatting as they knitted what were supposed to be useful things such as scarves and socks and the young women in another corner sewing adornments on various items of clothing. It was how Elmera became aware of Gilban as a boy. He had been brought in from the noble’s sons to amuse Rix and so that they could be taught in the castle of course. It was a great honor for him. Of course, girls were brought in to keep her company as well, and it was hoped that one of these girls would catch the eye of the prince.

It was only a year or two later that Father forced Clereva and Jozet to have Torzet join Anarix and the other boys for lessons. Clereva was so scared something was going to happen to her precious son. She screamed and railed at Father. Elmera smiled. It seemed that Clereva was going to be doing just that again. There were rumors flying among the servants about the odd behaviors of her boys since Torzet became Eldest Unbound. That was why she was sending her sister these flowers, fresh cut from the garden – a token of her love.

Elmera smiled and placed the spy-eye just right so it would not be noticed. Hopefully, Clereva would not toss them out too soon nor would she stick them with the little device facing a corner. It really helped things to have a husband who loved and trusted you implicitly, Elmera thought as she called one of the girls to her apartments to deliver the flowers.

 

Special Delivery

Jozet took delivery of the merchandise. One was a healthy human male who protested and fought like a wildcat while trying to protect the other who was very sick. So sick in fact all he could scent on it was illness. Jozet frowned. He had hoped to verify one of them was his brother-in-law’s mate, but the stench of impending death made that impossible. Maybe it was for the best. He vaguely recalled what the beast looked like from his glimpse in the alley and this one did match if compensation were given for being badly ill. He gave directions for the healthy one to be cleaned up, dressed, and prepared, but for the ill one to be fettered and left to die. Then he went to see his wife.

Clereva was sitting in her favorite chair doing her sewing. Windal sat on a stool nearby plucking slowly on a six stringed instrument in what was supposed to be a classical tune. She grimaced as he missed yet another note, but said nothing. He was just learning the song and would get better, hopefully, with time. When Jozet came in the boy barely seemed to notice. He did not let it disrupt his plucking. Clereva smiled when Jozet ignored him. “Yes dear?”

“Our package has arrived.”

“Which package would that be?”

“The special delivery,” he said nodding toward the boy, “I’ve put it downstairs.”

“Shall we go see?”

“If you wish, my dear.”

She sat her sewing aside and stood up, brushing her skirts out. “Windal, be a dear and practice until Mother returns. I want to hear it perfect when I get back.” She patted him on the head and he stopped playing long enough to look up at her.

“Yes Mother.” He resumed playing, his fingers plucking the strings a bit more quickly, but no less awkwardly as she left the room with her husband.

 

Downstairs there were two men being held. “This one is the one Anarix has bound,” Jozet told Clereva as he opened the cell door.

She followed Jozet inside so she could see. There were two guards present in case they were needed. Against the wall, lying on the stone floor in the clothes he arrived lay a man with short reddish-blond hair sticking straight up all over his head. His eyes were closed and his breathing labored. He was no taller than she was, and gaunt, but from the way his skin lay she could tell he was used to much bulkier frame. She wondered what had happened to cause him to lose weight, and then wondered if he were sick. His face did appear to be sunken in where it was not swollen.

“Is he well?” she asked Jozet, “He looks sick.”

“He smells sick to me. I’m not certain he will live.”

“I do not want to be near him. He is human, what if it is fatal?”

“Yes dear,” Jozet agreed reluctantly. The other one did not look sick. In fact, he was quite feisty. “Would you care to see the other one?”

“Is he sick?”

“I do not believe so.”

“And he is not bound to my brother?”

“No, only this one.”

“Then do with him what you will. He is no concern of mine.”

The ill prisoner would be left completely alone, however the other one would know no peace. They had cost too much to not enjoy his silent screams for at least a little while.

Copyright © 2011 Lugh; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Spring - People Are Strange Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

THAT GUY IS SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

soooo totally deserves to die a horrible death that would make even the most heartless shudder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link to comment

Jorzet and Clereva are evil and their eldest son is probably in on it. I'm getting Macbeth vibes here, and I bet Clereva is plotting to have Rix go insane, so her sons can inherit the throne.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..