Jump to content
    Lugh
  • Author
  • 1,151 Words
  • 2,123 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Fall - Legends Entry

It Was A Judgment Day - 2. Part II

Courting Disaster

“This is the strangest message I think I’ve ever gotten, Tal,” Kismet said as he wrote it down on a sheet of paper to study it. It was basically a string of numbers like a text converter gone bad.

“Who is it from?”

“Well at first I thought it might be Valdorn, but we talked this afternoon. His ship is docking at their exchange tonight. A ship in Uncle’s fleet is meeting them there.”

“They made good time then.”

“Well, there were a few complications, and he did have to use some connections he said.”

“It happens.”

“And he’s betrothed to my sister.”

Tal choked on his drink. “He’s what?”

“Something about the numbered heirs not being able to travel unescorted unless they were betrothed. So he obtained some travel documents to show he was betrothed to my sister and somehow convinced my parents to go along with it although it meant he had to share sheets with her for the sake of the help,” Kismet said as he toyed with the numbers on a piece of paper. “We’ve been sharing sheets for quite a while even without any help to fool.”

“Yes, we have.”

“And we have travel documents that were not forged.”

“Yes, we do.”

“Is there something I should know?”

“You asked to court me.”

“I did.”

“You won or maybe I did. I’ve not decided that yet.”

Kismet got up and walked around a bit, then he picked up the page with the numbers and left the room. This was stressful. He should have known it was more than just some simple customs. The number of documents, the fancy seals, the new identification, and the total acceptance by everyone should have told him it was more. He wasn’t sure how he felt about it. Deceived, trapped, confused, loved, wanted…

He wished he had his gear with him. Instead he went about cracking the code the old fashioned way.


Several hours later Tal came into the room and wrapped one arm around his lover. “I’m sorry. I should have told you immediately what was going on but I thought you understood what was at stake when you fought for me.”

“I will always fight for you,” Kismet said as he nuzzled the side of Tal’s neck. “Always. You are the breath I breathe. Did I not promise you that?”

“You did. That was the day you pledged yourself to me even if you were not aware you were doing so at the time.” Tal kissed along Kismet’s ear. “Did you figure out your code?”

“I think it’s from Amberly. But it says something about the House Estovan needing help and Puck is not dead. I’m not sure why it would say that unless he thought Puck was dead, but that makes no sense either.”

“Sure it says not?”

Kismet looked at the message again.

“No.”

“We already knew they were headed to Estovan, Kismet. We can go now.”

“I’ll pack a bag and contact Val. He’s going to hate me.”

“I’ll make arrangements.”


“This is a fighter,” Kismet accused Tal.

“Yes it is. You will have to navigate.”

“Where are you going to sit?”

“Pilot.”

“Do you know how to pilot this thing?”

“In theory.”

Kismet looked at it and shook his head.

“Most of the hard parts are done by the ship itself. We’ll be just fine.”

 

 

Here Comes the Calvary

“You cannot do this!” Mia yelled from where she was tied up in the corner of the room. The two government agents were already prepared for travel. Mia had watched and she was not happy.

“I can and I will,” Valdorn said with all certainty. “My party will not be given two looks so there is no safer place for you to be than with us. No one will question why I have extra people; they will not remember how many I came on board with, only that my wife had an accident and we had to board early. Our entire party is transferring to a private ship, it’s all very simple.”

“It’s not right, Valdorn. I’m supposed to marry Kismet.”

“No, you wanted to marry Kismet for his lack of family. Seems your intel wasn’t as good as you thought. Well you’ve met Kismet’s family. Nice simple folk aren’t they? Really good people who shouldn’t be in the same sector as you.”

“You can’t mean that.”

“Yes I can.”

“I won’t take it.”

“Yes you will,” he told her as he held up the little pill that would ensure her cooperation for the next eight to ten hours. “My family had these cat-like creatures; they were very expensive and very volatile. One of them had an ailment that required medicine but he didn’t like to take it so we had to learn to give it to him. Do you want your medicine like a human or like a cat?”

She glared at him and opened her mouth.


Val’s cousin carried the one bag that had all their possessions. He also supervised the three very docile servants who followed along after him without speaking.

As predicted, they disembarked the ship ahead of the other passengers and no one gave them a second look. Cousins met Valdorn on Uncle’s behalf and took their guests to the appropriate quarters. He was saddened to find that Maggie had been put in a separate room than his. He had enjoyed sharing sheets.

Val was sad to say he missed it.


Val sat next to the communications officer and tried to hail Kismet again. It hadn’t been that long since the last time since his last communication, but he wanted to make sure he understood it before they entered Estovan airspace. They were closer than he expected.

Finally it patched through.

“Kismet?”

“Hey! How’s my brother-in-law?”

“Depends, how is my Cousin?”

“Taloric is great.”

“Taloric isn’t the Cousin I happened to be referring to.”

Kismet laughed, “I’m doing great too. We should be entering Estovan airspace soon.”

“Interesting, so should we.”

“So, where are we headed down there?”

“No clue. I’m sure someone will give the ‘all hail’ soon enough and tell us where to go,” Kismet laughed. “Want to do me a favor and explain about this betrothal paperwork?”

“Your sister and I aren’t sharing sheets any longer.”

“Taloric and I are.”

Valdorn felt as if someone punched him in the gut. Taloric and Kismet, together, it was a complication he had never foreseen. He had considered Kismet his, if any cousin could claim him. He was human. Cousins did not choose humans, especially not ranked cousins. Not if they wanted to rule – at least not unless they were partially human themselves, like him. He finally managed to answer though, “Uncle would have to approve. Forged papers would not do.”

“They aren’t forged.”

Further conversation was stalled because they were being hailed.

Copyright © 2011 Lugh; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Fall - Legends Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Poor Val. He really does love Kismet. Unless I forget Val's race believes in threesomes so there is still hope. Sigh. I have to wait until another day for that story. Can't we drop Mia out the space door at that time too. I really don't like her.

Link to comment
On 09/19/2011 04:09 AM, comicfan said:
Poor Val. He really does love Kismet. Unless I forget Val's race believes in threesomes so there is still hope. Sigh. I have to wait until another day for that story. Can't we drop Mia out the space door at that time too. I really don't like her.
Yes Fate, Luck, and Chance --- Val really does, poor baby. Four years is a long time to keep quiet over a family secret though, yes?

 

I would love to drop Mia out of a trash chute... but I think we need her still.

 

I don't like her much either.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..