Jump to content
    Lugh
  • Author
  • 867 Words
  • 2,320 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

It Was A Rescue Day - 3. Speaking of Rescues

The bright red bag was universal. An orderly pushing a cart in full hazmat gear was not out of the ordinary. Biohazard tags were a little odd, but not so much that anyone made comment. The fact that the elevator was going up, not down, might have brought attention had it been noticed. Maybe the security alarm going off in the psych ward eight floors up and two wards over had something to do with that. Down elevators, not up were being watched. The guard at the transport station looked at the paperwork, signed off on it, and kept his copy. Biohazard medical waste was exported all the time, nothing new there. That there was so little of it was not his concern. Nor was the fact the orderly took the waste to a smaller, private transport, one that had arrived only half an hour ago. Everything was paperwork perfection.

Bobby stowed the bag and secured it for inspection if they decided to hold one, then went to tell the pilot he was ready to take off. He looked in the cockpit and the small crew quarters and there was no one aboard. Confused, Bobby went down the gangplank to find them.

“Is there a problem?” The guard asked.

“The pilot and crew are not on board.”

“They’re probably at that mandatory meeting all our hazmat transport ship pilots must attend once a year or before the first time they transport for us. Their certification was out of date.”

“Oh.” Bobby resisted the urge to check his watch, “How long does that take?”

“It’s a good couple hours. You should be on your way by supper. But in the meantime, you’ve got to stay with the waste. You know that, right? It can’t be left alone. Regulations and all.”

Bobby nodded. “I understand.”

“I’ll send someone up to you in a bit so you can go get something to eat, maybe if you’re lucky they will be the ones stuck on the transport when it takes off.”

“Nah, this is my free ride to a connecting flight for a trip home. I’ll just hang around, don’t want to miss it.”

“Ah I hear that, got to get the free rides where we can, eh?”

Bobby grinned and re-boarded the transport. The façade dropped as soon as he was inside. Taking a deep breath, he steadied his nerves. This was not the time to lose it.

Puck, however, needed out of the bag, not to mention every second they stayed was one closer to being caught. No, he needed to do more than be calm.

Bobby prayed.

It wasn’t that he believed so much in a supreme being as he had nothing else to occupy his time. In stressful situations his mother often prayed and it just seemed like the right thing to do now. He prayed that autopsy was backlogged. He prayed that no one went looking for Puck’s ‘body’. And most of all he prayed that the pilot and crew would hurry the hell up and get them in free space.

Alarms were still going off inside, but they were only a faint claxon out here. The guard he talked to was replaced by a new one. This one decided to do a thorough search of all spaces.

Puck was tucked up in bed in the forward cabin when the guard came onboard. Barely a third as full as before, the hazmat bag lay in its compartment. This guard didn’t see how full it was before. He poked it.

“These usually only go out full.”

“I didn’t pack it.” Bobby shrugged, hoping he sounded more confident than he felt. “I just volunteered to accompany it – free ride and all.”

“Going to see family?”

Bobby blushed and shook his head slightly.

“Ah, one of those hops then.” The guard winked. “Well that explains why you don’t want to miss it, then.” He poked around the cockpit, left it, then pointed to the only other door off the main cabin. “What’s behind that door?”

“Crew’s quarters.”

“So dirty laundry and sex magazines?”

“Pretty much so,” Bobby agreed and tried to not think of Puck lying just beyond that door.

The guard shook his head, “I remember those days. No one would want to hide in there. Likely stinks too. Keep an eye out and give a yell if you see anything strange, all right? Have a nice flight.”

Bobby's body unclenched as he watched the guard retreat. Where was the damn crew?

Nerves frayed, he quickly followed orders when the crew returned.

Now that they had the required training class - a class the Center charged them to take - the pilot told him they would leave as soon as they had clearance. Annoyed he'd have to pay the added fee, he considered it worth the money when they had clearance in record time. A sigh escaped his lips as they achieved lift off.

“Twenty minutes to free space, sir.” The craft was small enough that the captain didn't use the loudspeaker. “I hope whatever you took from the Center was worth all this hassle.”

“Very much worth the hassle,” Bobby assured him. “Very much.”

Copyright © 2011 Lugh; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ok, I do appreciate that you post this in small pieces, just that I hate waiting for the rest. You will get much reads and revs :P but you are killing me :(

 

Everyone seems to be very very family orientated when it comes to the Hannovers. Even Bobby is very protective of Amberly's brother. I like that.

 

With Bobby's perspective it is fun to get the scientific look on things.

 

How do you cut the chapters?

Link to comment
On 07/11/2011 04:49 PM, Marzipan said:
Ok, I do appreciate that you post this in small pieces, just that I hate waiting for the rest. You will get much reads and revs :P but you are killing me :(

 

Everyone seems to be very very family orientated when it comes to the Hannovers. Even Bobby is very protective of Amberly's brother. I like that.

 

With Bobby's perspective it is fun to get the scientific look on things.

 

How do you cut the chapters?

for something this short, it's not really chapters, they are scenes, so at the end of the action (ie end scene) although some of you might disagree.

 

Anyway.... the wait is killing me too cause the good part is at the end! And I want to know what you all think.

 

I'm beginning to wonder how it will really affect the read/reviews, but that is one of the reasons I did it.

 

Bobby's perspective has been fun. Although it's odd... they call Amberly the lab rat. I wonder how much of that his "knowledge" and how much he reseached and faked.

 

I think I showed how close of a family they were in Monday. Or I tried to. It would make sense that they branched out and "married" people who were just as family oriented as they were, don't you think?

Link to comment

So we managed to get him out of the Center. At least he is out and they are nearly to free space. Notice I said nearly cause I know how much trouble you like to toss into your stories. I have to agree I hate waiting, patience may be a virtue but when you are nervous you just don't have any. Oh well. Until the next scene and when we have a chance to see how Puck is truly making out.

Link to comment

Anyone else thinking it was "too easy?" I'm steeling myself for a vicious plot twist, like the mummy man not being Puck or the waste craft being captured. Lugh would be evil like that, I just know it! :unsure:

 

Of course, we'd love it, too. Hate it, but love it all the same. :P

Link to comment

Ugh. I am WAY creeped out and need to read more before I crawl out of my skin. As you can imagine THAT would not be a pretty sight

Link to comment
On 07/12/2011 12:02 AM, comicfan said:
So we managed to get him out of the Center. At least he is out and they are nearly to free space. Notice I said nearly cause I know how much trouble you like to toss into your stories. I have to agree I hate waiting, patience may be a virtue but when you are nervous you just don't have any. Oh well. Until the next scene and when we have a chance to see how Puck is truly making out.
hugs, hang in there. It gets worse.

 

Thank you for the review.

Link to comment
On 07/12/2011 12:44 AM, Dark said:
Anyone else thinking it was "too easy?" I'm steeling myself for a vicious plot twist, like the mummy man not being Puck or the waste craft being captured. Lugh would be evil like that, I just know it! :unsure:

 

Of course, we'd love it, too. Hate it, but love it all the same. :P

See there's that evil word again.. you really should not be tossing that word around when I'm in the middle of writing the next installment. It's just not... smart. Makes it rougher on the next set of characters. Poor Amberly/Brianna/Rix etc... sighs.

 

It was kinda easy wasn't it? Maybe Bobby isn't as smart as he thinks he is.

 

Thanks for reading!

Link to comment
On 07/12/2011 01:49 AM, Nephylim said:
Ugh. I am WAY creeped out and need to read more before I crawl out of my skin. As you can imagine THAT would not be a pretty sight
YOU? Creeped out?

 

YAY! (oh sorry... um... YAY!)

 

I still don't want you to crawl out of your skin though. That would be nasty. Blood and muscle everywhere. Although that would make a kick ass scene.... herm... keeps that one in mind.

 

Thanks again Nephy.

Link to comment

Am I the only one who remembers 'It was a Holy Day?' I mean hello! Okay that ought to get who ever didn't read Holy Day to go read it. When do I get my check, Lugh?? :whistle:

 

As for the story, Bobby is resourceful but then again one does wonder how they could 'miss' what he's doing. Perhaps someone else, oh I don't know, maybe a power hungry brother - in- law of a crown prince hell bent on seeing is own spawn on the throne type perhaps - might have his own plan in place to take Puck into custody and used Bobby to unwittingly carry it out and 'paid' the Center to 'not' find them. Just a theory, not a sermon. 0:)

Link to comment
On 07/12/2011 01:09 PM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
Am I the only one who remembers 'It was a Holy Day?' I mean hello! Okay that ought to get who ever didn't read Holy Day to go read it. When do I get my check, Lugh?? :whistle:

 

As for the story, Bobby is resourceful but then again one does wonder how they could 'miss' what he's doing. Perhaps someone else, oh I don't know, maybe a power hungry brother - in- law of a crown prince hell bent on seeing is own spawn on the throne type perhaps - might have his own plan in place to take Puck into custody and used Bobby to unwittingly carry it out and 'paid' the Center to 'not' find them. Just a theory, not a sermon. 0:)

whooo wheee

 

got everybody guessing and sweating bullets... man this is fun... I think I really like this chapter by chapter thing.

 

And another good plot theory. I like it. It's almost evil.

Link to comment

HAH! so he managed to achieve lift off! :P

WTH did Rix do to Puck? :o

It's just nerve racking to wait fto find that out! :P as for Bobby's journey, i', just gonna get to the next chapter :)

Link to comment
On 07/18/2011 05:27 AM, Frostina said:
HAH! so he managed to achieve lift off! :P

WTH did Rix do to Puck? :o

It's just nerve racking to wait fto find that out! :P as for Bobby's journey, i', just gonna get to the next chapter :)

Rix? why did Rix have to do all that? It's been weeks and weeks! I think the center has some explaining to do!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..