Jump to content
    Lugh
  • Author
  • 1,073 Words
  • 2,240 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Leader of the Pack - 3. Chapter 3

The third challenge was to write the same story where every sentence has more than 10 words.

Short Stories

 





Short Stories By Lugh


Leader of the Pack

 





Dr. Graff placed his hands on either side of the podium and flexed the muscles of his one good leg.

Jason arrived early and looked around for familiar faces; there were several including a very special one, "Hey George, I didn't know-"

At the sound of the familiar voice, George pivoted on his artificial limb, and then faced the leader of the pack with a forced smile.

"That you would be here, or that you would be addressing the masses," concern furrowed Jason's brow.

"Of course I would come when extended such a polite invitation, Jason," George said sarcastically, "why wouldn't I?"

Jason shrugged rolling his shoulders and nodding his head toward George's metal appendage, "I dunno, I just thought."

"Thought what," George snapped, "That I wouldn't show up because of the..." he tapped his leg.

"Yeah," Jason nodded grimly, "that's why, well that and all the stuff that happened after."

"Well, that's behind me now," George reassured his once friend with a pat on the shoulder.

"Can it truly ever be behind us, George, it is an awful large thing to overcome you know?" Jason asked, sounding more alone today than he had the last time they had parted, not that long ago.

George nodded sagely at his friend and smiled, trying to reassure him that everything had worked out for the best, even if they both had lost something important in the bargain.

Reluctantly, Jason accepted George's word, his smell said he spoke the truth, and if there was one thing he knew he could trust beyond anything else, it was his sense of smell.

The conference went as planned by the committee with the speakers giving their speeches and a nice buffet type lunch.

Later that night after the conference ended for the day and before the moon rose fully, they met again.

Jason came to George's room and together they retired to the patio to sit on the stone bench that was hidden by the shrubbery.

"George, I'm not over it," Jason began, indicating the artificial limb, "I just can not seem to let it go."

"I know, Jason, I know," George crooned softly in the waning light, "but it's done and it can not be undone."

"Will you join with me now, George, can we just be like we were before?" Jason asked, his amber eyes reflecting their need more strongly than his words ever could.

"Ah Jason, how can I resist you, you are my heart and my soul, you always have been don't you know?"

"Don't resist, let me love you please, just don't resist me ever again; I don't think I could live with myself."

George relented, accepted his fate, and closed his eyes, waiting for Jason to consume him.

Jason slid up to George, ran his hand over his good leg, up his back to his neck where he caressed for a moment before moving in.

Heartbeats later their mouths met, their tongues entwined and their souls leapt playfully at each other in recognition.

George felt the change begin deep within himself, and for the first time since his accident, he didn't fear it. To aid things along he began to remove his clothing, and with a final human glance at Jason, he removed his left leg.

He shuddered at what he knew was coming and how Jason would respond, but he didn't fight it, not this time, not ever again. It had been so long since he had welcomed the change, too long, some would say, and he would have to agree if he had bothered to ask them. But he hadn't asked them, and now he lay breathless on the patio floor next to a worried seeming Jason who had slid effortlessly into lupine shape and was now licking his face. George nuzzled his once lover and licked his muzzle, now he enjoyed the freedom of being wolf again.

"Come run with the pack," Jason urged George to his feet, well aware of his handicap.

"I shouldn't go to the pack, Jason, you go to them; you belong with them just as they belong with you."

"I want you with me," Jason whined, unwilling to give George up again now that he had him back in his life.

"You are their leader, now," George stated flatly, void of emotion, his head hung low.

"And you used to be, we would be good together, George, they will accept you back," Jason argued with him, trying to make him see things his way.

"Used to be, Jason, past tense," George chided softly, "there is a reason why new leaders are supposed to kill old leaders you know -- so we won't be around to cause problems."

"I don't care, George, I still want you with me," Jason complained, "I didn't choose to be leader any more than you chose not to be leader any more, they need you -- I need you."

Jason growled deep in his throat when George refused him, since he had taken over the pack he had been forced to do things he didn't like to do and if it meant doing something he didn't like to do to get George back, so be it.

George was a little older than Jason, and just a little more mature, however, he knew that sound.

Jason would not accept no for an answer and honestly, he wasn?t sure he wanted to tell him no. In fact, he wanted to say yes, and so he did, "I will run with you."

"And the pack too, George," Jason was adamant about including the pack, because they needed George's wisdom and guidance.

"And the pack too, Jason," George finally gave in as he struggled to his feet.

Jason howled the good news to the pack that waited not too far away, George was coming home; his lover was back. Grinning wolfishly, he ran ahead, but he kept looking back over his shoulder to make sure that George was keeping up, that he was able to keep up.

George followed with a wobble, running three-legged would require practice, but with luck, he would have all the time he needed. Jason would see to that, George had sacrificed a lot for his pack, now it was time to give some of that back -- beginning with a welcome home party.





Care to Comment?

Copyright © 2010 Lugh; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Textbook excample how to deepen your storytelling description. I kinda liked the second chapter most, the manly grunty sentences fit weel to the were scenery as this later version was almost sophisticated. There was a one very obvious downside; I wanted to read a whole lot more of this werestory. It has quite interesting setting around it, aside your play with the rules. Do you have more were-tales?

Link to comment
On 02/17/2011 10:06 AM, Marzipan said:
Textbook excample how to deepen your storytelling description. I kinda liked the second chapter most, the manly grunty sentences fit weel to the were scenery as this later version was almost sophisticated. There was a one very obvious downside; I wanted to read a whole lot more of this werestory. It has quite interesting setting around it, aside your play with the rules. Do you have more were-tales?
heh. I might. I might not have them posted yet. There might be reasons for that though.
Link to comment

I totally agree with Marzipan, would love to read the full version! I thought all 3 were great and love how it deepen with each chapter and i can honestly say i dont know which i liked best lol :) yay not sure what to read now that im waiting for the next 'It was' story lol Really really would like it if you made your chapters longer hehe:)

Link to comment
On 06/07/2011 05:24 AM, Sami said:
I totally agree with Marzipan, would love to read the full version! I thought all 3 were great and love how it deepen with each chapter and i can honestly say i dont know which i liked best lol :) yay not sure what to read now that im waiting for the next 'It was' story lol Really really would like it if you made your chapters longer hehe:)
LOL

 

this was a writing exercise, quite a few of my flash fictions or write by the rules stories are writing exercises to help me think about the structure of my writing or some other aspect...

 

what to read next... Heritage Heretic?

Link to comment

I love that in sharing your work from your lesson, you're teaching, too.  :D  I do love the premise and crave more, as well.  ~chuckle~  Ms. V

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..