Jump to content
    Lux Apollo
  • Author
  • 966 Words
  • 1,426 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Marvel Comics <br>

Running for Home - 36. December 20, 2021

December 20 2021


 

Classes are finished until the New Year, thank god. I’m definitely ready for a break. I’m supposed to be going out for drinks to celebrate later, but I’m so exhausted that I’m questioning whether I should. I guess I’ll take a nap after I finish this entry.

So the drugs seem to have done what I needed them to do. I haven’t had any flashbacks since I went on them and my anxiety levels have been numbed. I still have some small spikes here and there, but they are manageable and I don’t feel paranoid. I think the paranoia was the part that worried me the most, so I can relax a bit. I’m going to stay on the medication until after the hearing with Dom in L.A. I figure I won’t really be able to let go of things until after I am finally rid of him, so I might as well take advantage of this crutch while Cecilia lets me. I haven’t told anyone else about being on them, though there have been a couple times where I am not sure I was discreet enough with my pills. Sigh. When it comes to the mental health side of things I really don’t like other people being all up in my business about it. There is literally not much people can do to help me with it unless I’m in a crisis, so there is no point in making a big deal out of it. Maybe, though, I’m more just avoiding having to answer questions because questions lead back to my past which leads into… that.

My friends already know enough. They don’t need to know what happened in that prison, what really went on. From what I can tell, Bobby hasn’t opened his mouth about it, either, so bonus points to him. Fucking bonus points for Drake. I… I hate how it makes me feel. I hate how it warms me up inside, because it’s just another thing leading back into that deep, dark hole that consumed my teenage years and left me vulnerable to Magneto’s manipulations. I can’t blame Bobby for my mistakes, but I can blame the feelings my friendship with him generated for putting me on that path.

I managed to finish my Christmas shopping with less hassle than I imagined. It helps that I asked Emma for an afternoon off and she granted it. I didn’t tell her why. She just looked at me for a second and then nodded. It didn’t feel like she had telepathically scanned me, but that woman is so goddamn powerful a telepath that I wouldn’t put it past her to be able to jump past any barriers I have without raising any alarm bells like they would have in the past. Then again, it’s not like I’ve been bothering with the old exercises that help resist telepaths and help you at least realize you are being probed. I’m not sure if Emma is quite as powerful as Xavier was, but from what I hear her finesse is probably best-in-the-world.

Anyway, I’m not going to write about what I got people. It’s not that I feel like any of them are somehow going to stumble upon this journal and read it - they aren’t Kitty, little Miss ‘What-Do-You-Mean-I-Invaded-Your-Privacy?’. I just… I feel like if I write about it, I will jinx it, doom them for failure. But… well, there is Bobby’s gift. I really didn’t know what to get him. I seriously struggled with it. That shouldn’t be all that surprising, given the ambivalence of my relationship with him. By ambivalence, I mean it in the classic sense of being pulled in two directions, not in the more modern apathetic sense. I couldn’t even really think about it, to be honest. That gift. Every time I thought about it, my thoughts were bringing me back to my teenage years, and I couldn’t handle that. Didn’t want to.

It’s unfair, really, that I was trying to do this now, to get a gift for him when I really haven’t known him for very long. The adult him. Seriously, we’ve only been on good terms for less than a month now. Is that long enough that I should be getting him a gift in the first place? Am I just doing this out of masochistic nostalgia? Would he even be giving me a gift, either? No, that doesn’t matter. I don’t expect anything from him. I don’t have a right to expect anything from him. Not after all this time.

But I did get him a gift. I did. I had finished shopping for everyone else, and the mall was starting to get busy because work had let out for the evening. I was stuck, contemplating what to get him and beating myself up about even thinking about getting him something in the first place as I walked around the mall. And then I saw it.

A 1909 Cy Young baseball card.

Cy Young, maybe the greatest pitcher of all time. Most wins, most innings played, all of that jazz. The eponymous Cy Young Award has been given out to the best pitcher of the previous year since the time he retired from pro baseball. The only reason I know anything about him is because he was Bobby’s idol back when he was a pitcher in Little League before his powers manifested and Xavier brought him to the School. There were a few times when Bobby got all excited about baseball, about a pitcher who was on the way to becoming another one of the greats and Cy Young’s name would come up and he wouldn’t shut up about him.

I paid $400 for that card.

I’m such an idiot.

 
© 1963-2022 Marvel Comics, Walt Disney Company; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2017 Lux Apollo; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Marvel Comics <br>
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm glad he's letting medication help him over the rough spots, I think it was a good decision and Cecilie must think to too, otherwise she wouldn't offer the pills.
Well done on the Christmas shopping and now I can't wait to see what Bobby will give St.John. ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Awww. That was so sweet. I think the thought of it will mean a lot to Bobby. John is kind of putting himself out on a limb with his old/new friend, but it's a relatively safe one because it's Christmas. My guess is Bobby has a gift for him too. Bobby has been putting himself out there for a while... it would be fitting... look forward to how that plays out. Another great entry, buddy... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/15/2017 07:38 PM, Timothy M. said:

I'm glad he's letting medication help him over the rough spots, I think it was a good decision and Cecilie must think to too, otherwise she wouldn't offer the pills.

Well done on the Christmas shopping and now I can't wait to see what Bobby will give St.John. ;)

I haven't really had John discuss Cecilia much except in the interactions he's had with her as a doctor, have I? Maybe I'll be fixing that at some point. She's a really interesting character in the comics, from my point of view. No spoilers for Christmas - we have one more chapter to go before then anyway. December's a busy month for John in his journal.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/16/2017 04:38 AM, Headstall said:

Awww. That was so sweet. I think the thought of it will mean a lot to Bobby. John is kind of putting himself out on a limb with his old/new friend, but it's a relatively safe one because it's Christmas. My guess is Bobby has a gift for him too. Bobby has been putting himself out there for a while... it would be fitting... look forward to how that plays out. Another great entry, buddy... cheers... Gary....

John is definitely putting himself out in risky territory, isn't he? Maybe the risky feeling is only in his head/heart. I'd be terribly anxious about it if I was him, though. I totally get it. I thought this was one of my weaker chapters, to be honest. It's a bit all over the place in terms of content since it's more just an update on things from past chapters. I'm glad you liked it. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..