Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prompt Ramblings - 1. Prompt 208 - The Medium

Well, your life hasn’t exactly been going as you wished. One day you go for lunch at the local restaurant only to have a young woman begin to pass your table and turn suddenly. She turns pale before she grabs your hand. What is it this medium has to tell you that has her so scared?

Erron looked down at the synthesized protein masquerading as eggs on his plate. How this diner could justify serving this travesty was beyond him. Even the smell was wrong. He picked at it with his utensil and promptly set it on the table. There was no way he was eating this. The triangle of toast was passable, at least they had real bread. It wasn’t helping though because his nerves were so on edge.

 

This diner in the spaceport was close to the Santa Claus’s landing bay. It was really the only reason he chose it. It certainly wasn’t for the four star cuisine. At least he could see the anti-grav palette that held the crates with all his worldly possessions from his seat. Erron had packed immediately upon returning to his room and simply couldn’t sleep. The whole task had been sadly faster than he would have liked to admit. Now he had time to burn before he was expected. He didn’t want to seem too eager.

 

Captain Danverse told him he would be meeting with his Security Chief for his indoctrination. There was a ship tour, procedures to go over and a work contract to sign. Two years off planet wasn’t that long really. From what he’d researched, most crew members extended their contracts multiple times, so the Santa Claus couldn't be that bad. On the plus side, he’d be allowed to cook for others again. That would make up for most shortcomings. Erron felt fairly confident he was doing the right thing. Fairly.

 

It’s not as if he had much choice. He needed the job. When the server brought the bill for his, what we will call for lack of a better word, breakfast; he cringed when he pressed his finger to the DNA ID scanner. If there hadn’t been enough credits in his account he would have been in trouble.

 

Why he continued to sip at the bitter, burned coffee, he simply didn’t know. It certainly wasn’t doing his stomach any favors. The diner was fairly full. Apparently being cheap overrode the food quality in this establishment. Granted, Erron silently admitted to himself that he may simply be a food snob.

 

The patrons seemed mostly working class and pleasantly enjoyed their breakfasts. Some were no doubt station regulars that chatted with the servers and cook with a family like familiarity. A warm camaraderie filled the place and that made Erron feel smaller somehow. What he wouldn’t give to feel like he belonged somewhere. He’d lost that when Toby hadn’t even fought for him when he was fired and evicted.

It wasn’t fair. Erron thought he had it all: a loving partner, a job he excelled at and a promising future. All of it scrubbed away without as much as an acknowledgement of regret on their parts. A young couple walked into the diner and sat at the counter, holding hands the entire time. The ache in his chest twisted deeper. Fucking Heteros.

 

The coffee had long since gone cold, but somehow it tasted better that way, so he waved off the server when she tried to refill. Erron looked at the time glowing on the wall in amber letters. An hour more, then he could start his new life.

 

An older woman shuffled into the diner. Her clothes were tattered, and she was slightly dirty. The diner’s staff had decided to ignore her, perhaps they knew who she was and new better than to engage her. Erron was about to follow their example when her grey eyes suddenly bore down on him.

 

With a stern purpose she strode over in his direction. Erron startled when she approached his table and clamped her dirty hand on his wrist. He pulled back slightly, but her grip was firmer than he expected.

 

“You’ve lost someone very close to you,” she said. Her voice was raspy and Erron couldn’t help but look into her glassy eyes.

 

“That’s a little vague.”

 

“You’re about to travel a great distance.” She continued to speak as if she was barely aware of his response.

 

Erron’s brow furrowed. “I am in a spaceport.”

 

“Someone will be on board that you thought you’d lost long ago.”

 

Erron froze. Gamin was on board. It had been years since they’d laid eyes on one another. Part of the gnawing at his gut was whether he would be happy to see him or not. He’d never learned what happened between the man and his mother that drove him away and not knowing had driven him crazy.

 

“You think you’ve lost the ability to love another but you’ll find it on board once again.”

 

Words refused to form when Erron opened his mouth. Could she really be a psi? He’d never met one before; they were far and few between. Could she be telling him his future? She stood silent as he pondered. It wasn’t so much that he believed her; he just really wanted to.

 

“Do you see anything else?” Erron’s response was timid and quiet.

 

“Of course, child,” her rough voice cooed, “It’ll cost you ten credits.”

 

Erron’s trance was broken by the sound of snickering in the diner. A chubby, greasy man in a grey coverall and cap sat at the counter looking back at him with the broadest grin.

 

“Myrna’s caught another one,” he chortled.

 

The regulars burst into laughter. Even the old woman still attached to his wrist was beginning to smile. Erron could feel the heat in his face and along the edges of his ears as the others reveled in their inside joke at his expense. He jerked out of Myrna’s hold as she began to cackle. Erron felt so stupid. Of course, she wasn’t psychic. She was just a practical joker or con artist, and these people were all in on it.

 

“Sons of bitches can all bugger off…,” he growled.

 

Snatching his cap off the table, Erron stalked out of the diner all too aware of the mocking laughs and eyes that were directed his way. He slammed his cap on his head as he approached his palette. Fuming, he roughly checked the straps holding his crates in place. Once he was convinced they were secure, he powered up the palette. The metal skid hummed to life, floating a half meter from the floor. He grabbed the handle and impatiently pulled his pack towards the dock.

 

If Erron had any doubts before, they were all gone now. He couldn’t wait to get off this fucking planet.

Copyright © 2015 Mann Ramblings; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

synthesized protein masquerading as eggs

 

What a charming turn of phrase! Loved it!

 

Disappointed not to see other comments. I love reading the reviews too. Can you tell me more about how these Prompts work and where I find them?

Link to comment
On 02/15/2014 08:03 PM, Jaro_423 said:
synthesized protein masquerading as eggs

 

What a charming turn of phrase! Loved it!

 

Disappointed not to see other comments. I love reading the reviews too. Can you tell me more about how these Prompts work and where I find them?

There weren't a lot of reviews on this one because it initially posted in the forums rather that in a compilation of stories like I have now to keep them easily accessible.

 

Prompts are announced every Friday on the site's main blog post. Comicfan keeps new ones up every week to give anyone who would like to participate an opportunity to exercise their writing skills. There are specific forum thread for each one so everyone can get involved. You don't have to be an author. Take a look at the threads or shoot me a PM. I'm a huge advocate for them.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..