Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prompt Ramblings - 15. Prompt 353 - The Anniversary

span>It has been a year since the accident stole your partner away. What is life like a year later?

I'd become well acquainted with the sound of my crutches on the floor, but here in the hospital in brought out a sweat across my forehead and spine that had nothing to do with exertion. I was swamped in memories that were better left in the silence of the morgue.

A murmuring cacophony surrounded me, a mass of hushed voices trying to maintain some modicum of privacy and dignity. Directories mounted to the wall somehow attempted to make sense of the maze this building was designed to be. Herds of the sick, wounded, and caregivers dodged my ambling gait. At least here, they were a common occurrence.

It was a morbid kind of anniversary, one year to the day of the interstate pileup that changed everything. Months of recovery from injuries and surgeries to repair the damage of multiple breaks in my leg and hip. I'll never walk unassisted again.

A woman held the elevator for me as I hesitated. Entering the patient wards was never a easy task. It reminded me of those months of loneliness after realizing that my partner who I longed to see wasn't going to visit me at my bedside because he had one of his own.

While only two doors from the elevator, it might have well been a mile. Guilt was a heavy burden to carry when you're on crutches. I hobbled inside, and there Matty was, a frail shade of himself, his mother Grace reading to him from his bedside.

Matty didn't move or breathe on his own. His darkened eyes were closed as always. The ghastly tubes and wires running from every orifice and limb brought a sick shiver to my bones and made my leg ache. Wasted away, I could barely recognize him. He was incapable of surviving on his own, machines kept the living corpse in existence.

Good morning, Hank,” Grace said. She closed the book and laid it in her lap, leaving her finger between the pages to mark her place.

Morning, Grace. Are you still reading to him?”

Of course. They say coma patients can hear things in the distance. It may help stimulate his mind.”

I shuffled close to the bed and brushed a lock of hair from Matty's forehead. A faint scar along his temple from where the doctors removed shrapnel from his brain could still be seen. The surgeons repair the immediate damage, but there was no brain activity after their best efforts.

He's not in a coma, Grace. How many times do we have to say that?”

I have faith that Matty will come back.”

I wish I could say I did. Matty didn't respond to stimulus and his brain activity was zero. Doctors had declared him brain dead months ago. I'd say it was cruel to keep him on life support but that wasn't really true. He wasn't suffering; Matty had long since left us.

Matty and I had been together for twenty-two years and if we lived in a state that allowed it, we would have married. We talked about it a lot recently, but Matty didn't want a ceremony that wasn't legal. If he was going to do it, it had to be legitimate in all sense of the word.

If we were married, I would have saved him from the indignity that Matty would never have wanted. He wouldn't be hooked up to machines that fed him and made his lungs work when his body wasn't capable of doing it for itself. But we weren't married. And because of that fact, the hospital didn't recognize me and placed all decisions in the hands of a woman I adored, but who couldn't bear the concept of letting her child go.

I didn't say these words out loud to Grace, we'd had all of these arguments before. In the end, her wishes were all that matters to the powers that be.

No he's not, Grace.”

Then why are you here if you don't have hope?”

My chest tightened as I steeled myself. “To say goodbye. Like I should have months ago.”

I stroked Matty's unfeeling jaw, avoiding the breathing tube, as I felt Grace's gentle hand on my arm. “Hank, don't. He'll want to see you when he wakes up.”

He's not waking up, Grace. I have to move on.” I crushed my eyes closed as I struggled to keep my breath from coming out in a tragic rush. “Matty would want us all to move on. He never wanted any of this.”

When I opened my eyes, nothing had changed. Matty lay before me, unaware of my presence and it strengthened my resolve to know that nothing was going to change. Once again, I felt my heart breaking. The constant rhythm of life support machines mocked me.

I can't bring myself to mourn him forever. There's nothing here to wait for.”

A tear rolled down to my jaw as I brushed a kiss across his forehead, horrified that my final farewell couldn't be more. I wanted to capture his lips one last time, but the tubes jutting out from his nose and mouth like some macabre experiment impeded me. I had to remind myself one more time that this was not Matty, but just a husk left behind to let us know of his passing.

Goodbye, Matty.” My voice broke as I found it hard to catch my breath. “I will never forget you.”

With a hissing inhale, I pulled away, trying to control the tightness in my chest from spewing its anguish in ugly, ridden sobs. Too many nights had already been spent wishing for a miracle that would never come. I had a lifetime of memories to draw from, happy times to warm my soul in the coming months. As long as I stayed in the room, I was as lifeless as the body masquerading as my husband inside. I couldn't even face Grace as I strode out, my will might have fractured if I saw her betrayal in her eyes.

The soft tap of my crutches echoed into the hallway as I heard from the room a sad sound I'd become all too familiar with since the accident. Grace was crying.

Goodbye, Matty.

Copyright © 2015 Mann Ramblings; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator
:,( A necessary but very heart-breaking goodbye. My heart aches for all of them. Great prompt, Mann.
Link to comment
On 09/06/2014 11:53 AM, Valkyrie said:
:,( A necessary but very heart-breaking goodbye. My heart aches for all of them. Great prompt, Mann.
Thanks, Val. I always try to go with my initial instinct with prompts when the idea strikes. This is what flashed through my head this morning.
Link to comment
On 09/06/2014 12:25 PM, Cole Matthews said:
Very moving and gut wrenching. Thanks Mann. So sad but it's time to move on.
I tried to wring as much drama as I could while keeping the whole scene quiet and low conflict. I may have succeeded. Thanks for commenting
Link to comment
:,( this prompt was very moving, heartbreaking and sad. Great job Mr Mann ! I hope Mattys mother says goodbye too soon :( I feel so sorry for all of them :,(
Link to comment
On 09/06/2014 03:46 PM, aditus said:
You captured this dreadful moment of life perfectly. Great work, Mann.
I tried hard to express what I would feel in a similar situation. I may have succeeded. Thanks for reading. :)
Link to comment
On 09/06/2014 06:58 PM, Slytherin said:
:,( this prompt was very moving, heartbreaking and sad. Great job Mr Mann ! I hope Mattys mother says goodbye too soon :( I feel so sorry for all of them :,(
I hope Grace does too. She's too nice of a person to sit in denial forever. Sadly, this happens sometimes. Thanks for reading.
Link to comment

The ending is the most unfortunate, and I hope the authority wouldn't hunt him down for it. Complex issue(s) delivered nicely, Mann.

Link to comment

You've captured the passage of time and the depth of the loss well--even that of the mother hanging on to her grief. Great use of props: The hospital environment, the medical equipment, the crutches. All used to good effect to create atmosphere and add to the purpose of the visit.

 

My Saturday may be a sadder, and a more contemplative one, but that means you've written well, Mann.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/07/2014 03:44 AM, Ashi said:
The ending is the most unfortunate, and I hope the authority wouldn't hunt him down for it. Complex issue(s) delivered nicely, Mann.
Thanks for reading, Ashi :)
Link to comment
On 09/07/2014 06:22 AM, Ron said:
You've captured the passage of time and the depth of the loss well--even that of the mother hanging on to her grief. Great use of props: The hospital environment, the medical equipment, the crutches. All used to good effect to create atmosphere and add to the purpose of the visit.

 

My Saturday may be a sadder, and a more contemplative one, but that means you've written well, Mann.

I wondered how readers might react to the sad theme on this one, but it looks like people have responded well. Thanks for the review. I'm really happy with how this turned out.
Link to comment

A very moving and realistic portrayal of a goodbye of this type. You captured both the need to move forward and the lack of ability of some to do so beautifully.

Link to comment
On 09/07/2014 05:38 PM, SoullessCynner said:
I'm so sad now. :( Great response to this prompt. :thumbup:
I'm sorry you're sad, but happy that you liked it! I'm so conflicted right now...
Link to comment
On 09/08/2014 02:50 AM, Kitt said:
A very moving and realistic portrayal of a goodbye of this type. You captured both the need to move forward and the lack of ability of some to do so beautifully.
Thanks, Kitt. I wanted this to be a situation where there weren't any real victims other than circumstance. The pain of moving forward is one of the hardest things we experience in our lives. I really appreciate the review :)
Link to comment

This is the first thing I've read by you...what an introduction! It brings back the vigil at my mother's bedside in '07...she wanted no machines or extreme measures, just pain killers...but it took six days for the end, with her in a coma the last two or three. She went in the day before my birthday, and since then, I don't really celebrate them anymore.

Thank you for the story, and reminding me that the body was only the outer shell of the person we love.

Link to comment
On 09/20/2014 01:28 PM, ColumbusGuy said:
This is the first thing I've read by you...what an introduction! It brings back the vigil at my mother's bedside in '07...she wanted no machines or extreme measures, just pain killers...but it took six days for the end, with her in a coma the last two or three. She went in the day before my birthday, and since then, I don't really celebrate them anymore.

Thank you for the story, and reminding me that the body was only the outer shell of the person we love.

This was the idea that flashed in my head to the prompt response. I always run with them wherever they take me. I write a wide gamut when I do prompts and this was probably the most intense of all of them. Thanks for reading and commenting.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..