Jump to content
    Mark Arbour
  • Author
  • 5,134 Words
  • 9,548 Views
  • 24 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Odyssey - 74. Chapter 74

Happy New Year!

December 20, 1798

St. James Palace, London

 

Granger shared so much with his wife, just with their eyes, but this was not the place for the kind of personal conversation he so desperately wanted to have with Caroline. That would have to wait. He became conscious of the room around him, of the brilliantly lit chandeliers, with the candlelight flickering through the prisms of the crystal. He smiled as they refracted through the big diamond earrings Caroline wore, the ones he’d bought her with his prize money. He noted the men and women here, all in their very best court dress, many of them staring at them. He had already risked an admonishment with his overt display of affection, with his kiss, but both George and Caroline were accomplished courtiers, so once they had indulged in that lapse; they reverted to their normal, appropriate roles. “There is much to say, but we will say it later,” he promised.

She put her arm in his as he escorted her toward the back of the room where the denizens of the court gathered, awaiting their turn to see the King while they plotted and strategized, crafting backroom deals. “I am less interested in talking,” Caroline said, and felt herself blushing at being so forward, but George appreciated her enthusiasm, and smiled to show her that he did.

“Evidently I have much to look forward to,” he whispered into her ear, making her giggle.

They arrived among the other courtiers, and the first to greet him, appropriately enough, was his father. Granger noted how his father seemed to be the same. When Granger was younger, his father had appeared to be growing old, even when he wasn’t, but now that he was actually advancing in age, the years did not seem to wear on him all that much. It was as if he’d done all of his aging by the time he was forty, and now he was done with it. “George, how splendid to see you returned from your journeys, safe and sound,” the Earl of Bridgemont said to his youngest son.

“It is good to see you as well, Father,” George replied, and threw caution to the wind and embraced this stoic man who had taught him so much, and was such a foundational rock in his life. He felt his father embrace him just as warmly, and knew that such a display was quite unorthodox, and probably improper, but at that moment, neither of them cared. When they pulled apart from their hug, Granger noticed his father was wearing the blue ribbon of the Garter. “Congratulations on your knighthood, and your appointment to the Privy Council.”

“I should thank you for those honors. It has been many years since the King seemed to notice my service to him, but your exploits appear to have sparked some enthusiasm for our entire family, and I fear that I am the one to reap the rewards for your efforts.”

“I have been made the Governor of Windsor, and I have been appointed a Colonel of Marines,” Granger said with a smile. “I would submit that since I have been so well-rewarded, your achievements must be solely your own.” The Colonelcy of Marines was definitely a reward only for Granger, but his post as Governor of Windsor would probably benefit his father more than Granger. When he returned to sea, it would be reasonable to assume that his father would use his chambers at Windsor. Then Granger remembered that it may be a long time before they could formally arrange his exchange, and until then, he’d largely be a prisoner living in his own country.

The Earl laughed. “You are quite the diplomat. Living amongst the enemy will no doubt hone those instincts. But it is not only to His Majesty that you are indebted for those honors.”

“It was not his idea?” Granger asked, surprised.

“It was not. Your appointments were actually done at the request of His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales,” the Earl said. “You are known to be one of ‘his’ men, so even though the King is fond of you, it is the Prince of Wales who advocated for your advancement.” Granger was momentarily stunned by that. He enjoyed the Prince of Wales, and got on with him well, but had never considered that the Prince had taken him under his wing. By engineering these appointments, he had as much as formalized that arrangement.

“Then I must call on His Royal Highness this evening,” Granger said, conscious of the jealous person that was the heir to the throne. As he glanced around the room, and at the dowdy old king, he pondered the tedium of being at Windsor for weeks on end, and wondered ungratefully if the Prince of Wales had done him any favors with his appointment.

“That is an excellent idea,” the Earl said.

“Is Mother not here?” Granger asked.

“She was not feeling up to the rigors of Court today,” the Earl said, which meant that his mother must be involved in a spat with someone. The Countess of Bridgemont was sometimes a bit petty.

“I am sorry about that, and even sorrier that I thus cannot see her,” he said.

“I suspect that when she hears of your return, she will be vexed with herself for not making the effort to be here. Perhaps you would care to dine with us tomorrow? That will give us a chance to catch up on your adventures, and you may tell me of Bertie’s activities, in all of their unsavory glory.”

Granger laughed. “I fear he has not changed much, and is as charming but as unscrupulous as ever. I will call on you then.”

“You will also get to see your protégé,” the Earl said.

“Indeed?” Granger asked, wondering whom his father was referring to.

“When Kingsdale returned, I took the liberty of offering to allow him to stay with us. He is a delightful young lad, and it has given me the opportunity to continue his education.”

“I’m so glad you did,” Granger said. The poor young peer had really had no one to take him under his wing and guide him, but Granger’s father had stepped in before their voyage to help present Kingsdale to the King, and now he was helping him after he returned. The young baron was a smart lad, with a bright future, so it was fitting for him to know better how to conduct himself.

“With all the prize money he earned on his voyage with you, it is enough to put him on a solid footing. I think he was planning to return to Ireland shortly, to put his affairs in order, so we are lucky to have you home in time to see him,” Bridgemont said.

“I’ll look forward to seeing him as well.” Caroline had drifted away from Granger briefly to allow him to talk to his father privately, but she sensed that their conversation was ebbing, and rejoined him. Granger appreciated that, and was glad she was there to support him, since much would have changed since he had left, and it would be easy for him to stumble on a topic that was more current than his knowledge. “We will talk tomorrow at dinner.”

Bridgemont smiled at his accomplished daughter-in-law. “It would please all of us if you could join us as well.”

She curtsied and smiled at this man she’d grown to respect and rely on. “It would be my pleasure.”

And with that much-too-brief reunion with his father, Granger paused to ask Caroline about his brother. “Is Freddie not here?”

“He and Davina are at Blankford,” she said. Granger looked at her curiously. Freddie had never enjoyed the country all that much, nor had he shown much interest in the land from which he derived his courtesy title. “She has been much luckier at the tables, and fancies a country retreat. They are trying to decide if Blankford will serve.”

“And what if her luck changes for the worse?” Granger asked.

“Then they will both come whining to you and your father to bail them out again,” she said, with a hint of contempt in her voice.

“Then we will have to hope her luck continues,” Granger said. He and Caroline moved on to talk to other people. He felt as if he were in a tidal eddy, where he was being spun around in circles, greeting and chatting briefly with people that he knew, but only for a short time, until he was whisked onto the next one. It was with some relief then, that he found himself in front of Lord Spencer, who demanded a bit more of his attention.

“Welcome back, Granger,” Spencer said, with his usual pleasantness. “We have much to talk about, but I fear this is not the venue.”

“I expect you’re right, sir,” Granger said with a smile. “I seem to be popular.”

“Don’t let it go to your head. It will fade once the newness of your return becomes old news,” Spencer joked.

“I am more than happy to return to that state of affairs, sir,” Granger said.

“Well, to indulge you in your current popularity, I will upset my morning schedule for you tomorrow. Be at the Admiralty at 9:00am,” Spencer said.

“Yes, sir,” Granger said.

Spencer looked at this young captain who had always delivered good results for him, and smiled. “I am glad you are back. You performed splendidly on your voyage.”

“Thank you, sir,” Granger said, smiling back.

“You are only paroled, not exchanged?” Spencer asked.

“Yes, sir,” Granger said, and could not mask how disappointing that was.

Spencer gave him a knowing smile. “It is just as well. I don’t have another ship for you at the moment, and in any event, your presence will be required ashore for the near future.” Granger knew these things. It was heaven to be back here with Caroline, and with all of these people that he knew, and it would be marvelous to reconnect with his friends and retainers, but he also knew that the sea would be calling to him, and this time, he would be unable to answer her summons.

“I can only hope that the French don’t place too much value on me, sir,” Granger said.

“With your recent performance, including Nelson’s raving about your role at The Nile, I suspect they will determine you are quite valuable,” Spencer said wryly.

“Thank you, sir,” Granger said, as seemed to be appropriate. “I will call on you at nine in the morning.” Spencer nodded, dismissing him as it were.

Granger and Caroline moved on, in this sea of people that they both knew so well. Granger turned on his inner social beast, and while he was enjoying these people, he was also forcing himself to be pleasant. It was as if he was on display, performing for everyone, and it felt somewhat odd. But then all of those thoughts were dashed away by the person who stood in front of him.

“Freddy!” Granger exclaimed, perhaps a little too exuberantly, but the huge grin that broke out across Cavendish’s face told him he was just as excited to see Granger.

“It is so good to see you,” Cavendish said earnestly. He held out his hands to take Granger’s, their firm grip seeming to bond them together. And then, almost as he had been with Caroline, Granger felt as if he were alone with Cavendish in this sea of people.

“If you gentlemen will excuse me,” Caroline said, her voice sounding as if she were miles away, “I am going to leave you in Freddy’s capable care for a few minutes.”

“Of course, dear,” Granger said, pulling out of his daze. He turned back to Cavendish. “There is so much for us to talk about, but I fear this is not the right location.”

“It is not,” Cavendish agreed, “but perhaps after your meeting tomorrow with Lord Spencer, we can find some time to talk.”

“Or sooner,” Granger said, with longing in his voice.

“Or sooner,” Cavendish said, in the same tone.

Granger noticed that Cavendish was not wearing his uniform. Instead, he was wearing a dark green coat, covered with lace and gold leaf, with a tastefully matching waistcoat and breeches. “You are not in uniform. Are you still at the Admiralty?”

Cavendish chuckled. “I fear that my work at the Admiralty was making me appear to be a laborer, something my father could not stomach. So I have been appointed as the Comptroller of the Household.” That made sense. It was not fitting for the son of a duke, and especially the son of the Duke of Portland, to appear to be nothing more than a glorified Admiralty clerk. Instead, they’d found a relatively prestigious post for Cavendish to occupy. The Comptroller of the Household was part of the King’s Household, largely concerned with the King’s finances and expenses. The position did not require much work, and was usually awarded to politicians as a sign of favor.

“So how does watching after the King’s purse keep you busy at the Admiralty?” Granger asked jovially.

“It is a position that brings me into contact with His Majesty, and allows me to act as something of an informal advisor to him on naval affairs,” Cavendish explained.

“And Spencer was in favor of this arrangement?”

“It was his idea,” Cavendish responded, a simple statement that contained much information. Spencer must have a great deal of trust and confidence in Cavendish to allow him to represent naval matters to the King, and the King must also view Cavendish with much favor.

“That would seem to indicate that he has good judgment,” Granger said with a smile.

“It would appear that is correct,” Cavendish replied playfully.

“The advantage of that is that it allows you to select your own wardrobe, and I would note that you have exemplary taste,” Granger said, enjoying his banter with this man that he loved.

“Of course that is true, but then you already knew that,” Cavendish said airily, making them both chuckle. “And speaking of wardrobes, I must say that for someone who has been away from England for a year and a half, you are quite well turned out.”

“I chose not to let the exigencies of war prevent me from having my uniforms tailored in Paris,” Granger said with faux arrogance. “Even though we are at war with France.” They both chuckled, but not so loudly as to be noticed.

“Perhaps I will see you later this evening,” Cavendish said.

“I am planning to call on His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales, but after that, I will be available,” he said, giving Cavendish a subtle wink.

Caroline rejoined them, and her return seemed to be a signal that she and Granger should move on and circulate more. He felt her tense up, and her anxiety became clear when Granger encountered Prince William of Gloucester. This was the man who had an affair with his wife, who had impregnated her, and whose baby she had borne while he was gone. This was the man who had been incredibly boorish to him when he’d last returned. But he had atoned for that, and had swallowed his not inconsiderable pride to apologize to Granger.

“Welcome home, Granger,” the Prince said affably, if not a little nervously. His eyes flickered furtively toward Caroline, but only for a moment.

“Thank you, Your Highness. It is a pleasure to see you,” Granger said, bowing in a courtly way.

“When I last saw you at Windsor, I invited you to call on me,” he said. “Now that you are home, I hope you will give me that honor.”

Granger smiled his most charming smile. “I am sorry I did not do so before, but I will not miss the opportunity this time, Your Highness.”

“Enjoy your homecoming,” he said, and then moved on.

“He is trying to be nice,” Caroline said unnecessarily. Granger was in too good a mood to let that annoy him.

“He was successful,” Granger responded with a smile, to tell her he was not upset about encountering Gloucester.

And so it went on, where they greeted people and chatted briefly. Granger found that he was fast becoming fatigued in this group, and deduced that the reason for that may be hunger. He had not eaten since breakfast. “Are you ready to go?” Caroline asked, sensing his feelings.

“I am,” he said. “If for no other reason, than to have something for dinner.”

“We shall feed you, and get you ready for His Royal Highness,” Caroline said. He escorted his wife from the palace, where he found their well-sprung carriage waiting for them. The coachmen’s mouth fell open in surprise when he saw Granger.

“Welcome home, my lord,” he finally managed to stammer.

“Thank you,” Granger said with a smile, then handed Caroline into the carriage and followed after her.

“I am so glad you are home,” she said, now that they were alone. “These past months have been hellish. Your letters, and news of your exploits have come in, but you went so far, and endured so much…”

Granger hugged her to him and leaned in to kiss her tears away. “But I am home now, and I am healthy. And I have brought you even more money, and I do know how much you enjoy wealth and power.”

Caroline frowned at him, and then smiled. “And now you are being a cad, accusing me of being bourgeois.”

“So you did not appreciate the silver from the galleon I captured?”

“I should have spent it all before you got back,” she said, pretending to pout.

“The last time I won scads of money you invested it in a foundry and I ended up with a midshipman as part of the bargain,” he said, laughing. “I can’t imagine whom you will saddle me with this time.”

“You did not think Mr. Llewellyn was a good midshipman?” she asked.

“He was a good midshipman, but like so many of the people I left behind, I have had no news of him,” Granger said.

“The last I heard he was serving aboard a battleship in the Channel Fleet,” she said.

“Perhaps I can rescue him when they give me another ship,” Granger said, and saw the look of sadness on her face. “I suspect that will be a while, though. I am merely paroled, not exchanged.”

“I wonder how many French generals it will take to effect an exchange,” she mused. “I am willing to wager that it will be quite a few.”

“Then let us hope that my military colleagues are adept at capturing their counterparts,” Granger said. He was having a wonderful time, bantering with Caroline, but that was interrupted by their arrival at Portland Place. The coachman braked the carriage smartly in front of the house, but in a way designed to attract attention. Granger stepped down from the vehicle and then helped Caroline. They ascended the stairs together, watching as the footmen and Cheevers had first stunned expressions on their faces when they saw him and then broad smiles once they digested that Granger was indeed back.

“Welcome home, my lord,” Cheevers said earnestly. “We have all longed for this day when you would return home.”

“As have I,” he said. “I have missed the excellent care that you and the rest of the staff take of me.”

“His Lordship will need some dinner, and then he will want to take a bath,” Caroline instructed.

“Of course, my lady,” Cheevers said, and turned to hand out orders to that effect. Granger was impressed with what a good butler Cheevers was: he could disseminate instructions in such a quiet way that it made him seem as if he wasn’t talking at all. Granger walked into the formal entry, and heard a bit of commotion as someone clattered clumsily into the room.

“My lord! You’re back!” Winkler said. He rushed over and embraced Granger, something that was quite inappropriate and unusual, but Granger cared not a whit, and hugged him back.

“I have missed you, Winkler. I have had to find others to torture in your absence, and those poor wretches have mostly fled to other continents,” Granger joked, to help Winkler keep his emotions in check.

“I am sure you were as successful at that as you are at most things, my lord,” Winkler said, being cheeky. Granger looked beyond him and saw Jacobs standing in the background, smiling.

“I see you have opted to come to the land of tyranny, Jacobs,” Granger teased.

“Aye, my lord, and I find that I am enjoying this brand of tyranny,” Jacobs said.

“Did Mr. Andrews return?” Granger asked Caroline hopefully.

“He did,” she confirmed. “He and Dr. Jackson have been staying at the Abbey. My understanding was that some fifty members of Bacchante’s crew opted to serve aboard Santa Clarita, while the remainder has been given quarters at the Abbey. Mr. Andrews and Dr. Jackson have been tending to them.”

“I would be most obliged if you would have a messenger sent to ask Mr. Andrews to call on me at once,” Granger said to Cheevers. “I have brought some things home with me, and I would like him to supervise their arrival.”

“Of course, my lord,” Cheevers said, and turned to dispatch directives for a messenger.

Before Granger could go and check on his children, he saw another, familiar face, this one scowling. “I see you have made it home, my lord,” Lefavre said.

Granger smiled. “I have vivid memories of your cooking, and that has hurried me on my way back.”

“Then I will see if I can conjure up something to satisfy Your Lordship,” he grumbled, as he headed down to the kitchen. Granger smiled after his grumpy chef. He was the kind of skilled artisan who could get away with an almost insolent posture. Granger indulged him, because he was a good chef, and because he was totally loyal to Granger.

“And now I must see my children,” Granger insisted. Caroline led him up the stairs to the nursery, where they were congregated. William was five years old now, Charlotte was four, Alexander was two, and Elizabeth was but a baby.

“Father?” William asked as he entered the room. Granger smiled, and felt his heart swell with joy at seeing his oldest son, who was now breeched, and dressed up like a little man. Granger knelt down and pulled the surprised boy into a hug.

“It is good to see you.” Then Charlotte approached him, her beautiful blond hair largely hidden in her cap. Alexander was right behind her. Granger sat in the nursery with his children, thoroughly enjoying them. Another nurse brought Elizabeth in, and made to hand her to Granger. Caroline started to intervene, evidently concerned that he would not want to interrupt his time with the other children, but a look from Granger stifled any objections Caroline had. He had pledged to raise Elizabeth as his own daughter, and so he would.

He held her for a while, admiring how cute she was, then handed her back to the nurses and played with the others. Now that they were older, they were much more interesting. He was so engrossed with them that he forgot he was hungry, at least until Cheevers interrupted him to tell him that dinner was ready. He escorted Caroline down the stairs and into the dining room, where food was already waiting for them. Granger felt himself salivating with desire, so hungry was he.

“There is much to talk about, and not all of it is good,” Caroline said as they sat down to eat.

“Then allow me to indulge in some of Lefavre’s fabulous food before you attempt to spoil the meal with foul tidings,” he said, teasing her. She gave him a dirty look.

“We are quite a bit richer, thanks to this voyage,” she said. “There was some talk about how you captured that Galleon, and the question was raised as to whether it was a capture, or you were just ferrying the King of Spain’s silver around for him.”

“And what did Their Lordships of the Admiralty decide?” Granger asked.

“They decided to treat it as prize money,” she said. “You performed so brilliantly, it would have been the height of rudeness to take your just rewards from you. Not to mention the furor the mob would have raised. You are quite popular, George.”

“If that has brought us, as well as my officers and crewmen, some extra thousands of guineas, then I guess my fame is a positive thing,” he joked. “Did they divide the prize money up as I asked, giving half to Francis.”

“Not quite,” she said. “It was decided to give you the flag officer’s share, and then to divide up the captain’s share in half.”

“That is not what I pledged to Francis,” Granger objected, thinking of Calvert. He ignored his conclusion that Calvert had found someone else to love, and resolved to treat him fairly despite that.

“I had occasion to discuss the matter with him at length,” Caroline said. “He seemed quite satisfied with the way things were handled.”

“Well, he did not raise it as an issue with me when I saw him either, but then again, we had little time,” Granger said.

“You saw Francis? Where?” she asked, surprised. And so Granger told her of his adventures, from the Battle of the Nile, to the capture of Leander, to his stay in Paris, and to his journey home.

“I must remember to transfer seven thousand pounds to Monsieur Talleyrand,” Granger said.

“We can attend to that tomorrow,” she said. “Much has happened since you have left.”

“Seeing you and the children here, alive and well, is really all that matters,” he said.

“Only I am not well,” she said, and a tear fell down her cheek.

“What ails you?” Granger asked, almost in a panic.

“It is unlikely that I will be able to bear any more children,” she said, and then her tears began to flow more steadily.

“I had heard a rumor to that effect when I rejoined the Mediterranean fleet,” Granger said. “Did you not get my letters?” He had written to her, alluding to it, and assuring her that he loved her, but he’d been reluctant to go into much detail in case the rumors were false.

“I got them,” she said, and smiled at him. “They meant so much to me, George. But I almost cannot bear to look at you. God has punished me for my adultery, and he has punished you as well.”

Granger did not think that God took such a direct hand in his life, or in the lives of others, but he knew that he was somewhat unusual in that belief, so he humored Caroline. “Or perhaps God has given us four beautiful children, and he decided that we already have our fair share.”

She frowned at him. “You do not want to have more children with me?”

“I am happy with the four children we have, but I would like to try to have more,” he said.

“But I cannot have children,” she objected, not getting his point.

“I was referring more to the conception,” he said, leering at her. She blushed, and then giggled. Granger finished his last bite of food, then stood up and held out his hand to Caroline. “Join me. I need a bath.”

“You go ahead,” she said. “I will meet you shortly.”

Granger nodded at her, even as he grinned, then went upstairs where he found Winkler waiting for him. Granger shed his jacket, which Winkler studied approvingly. “A nice coat, my lord.”

“I had it made in Paris,” Granger said. “I should probably visit my tailor in the near future, nonetheless.”

“Of course, my lord, but in the meantime, this will serve.”

“You must tell me of your adventures when I have returned from the Palace,” Granger said. “I must call on His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales this evening.”

“I am at your disposal, my lord,” Winkler said. He helped Granger out of his clothes and into his robe, and then stood aside to let Granger go down to the baths.

But Granger stopped and put his hand on Winkler’s shoulder. “I have missed you. You are much more to me than my chief steward; you are my friend as well.”

He saw Winkler get choked up, and smiled at this young man who had taken such good care of him, and had seen so much with him. “I’m very fond of you too, my lord,” he stammered, and that actually made Granger laugh. He descended the stairs to the baths, and shed his robe in one of the dressing rooms. He all but ran to the welcoming water, and savored its warmth, and the feel of it leeching the salt and grime from his body.

He opted to enter the soaping tub and fully scrub himself off, and had just finished that and returned to the main pool when Caroline joined him. She shed her robe shyly, as if ashamed of her body, and entered the water with undue haste. “I cannot believe that you want to be with me,” she sobbed.

He pulled her to him and kissed her passionately, and let her feel his hard cock probing her, demanding entrance. “Then I must prove it to you,” he said. He adjusted her so he could enter her, and did so gently.

She let out a moan, as did he, and there, in the pool at their house in Portland Place, Caroline and George Granger were truly reunited.

Happy New Year!
Copyright © 2014 Mark Arbour; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 64
  • Love 6
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A Fantastic homecoming. And as usual, it answers almost as much as is newly asked. This is without a doubt one of the most masterly told tales I have ever read. C. F. Forrester couldn't touch this for realism and believability. And it's told so beautifully that you almost need a condom just in the reading.

Now THAT's realism at it's finest. Well done Lord Arbour.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Happy New Year, Mark! A wonderful chapter and well-told homecoming! A true Christmas tale (without Christmas)! Hehehe! I will have to read it a third time to fully absorb the nuances of George's reception! Well done! To many more chapters in 2014!

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Brilliant chapter :thumbup: Looks like George will have to enjoy staying at home for awhile but there seems to be quite a few people who are happy to keep him there.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I must agree with the others. Another well told and fantastic chapter.

I hope that George and Freddy get together soon. I have always thought Freddy was one of George's best partners.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Another well crafted chapter to add to a superb chapter. It was especially awesome because Freddy and Winkler both made appearances. Thanks.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Just back and already Granger's dance card is all full... He has to see the Prince of Wales to thank him for the appointments, Lord Spencer at the Admirality, Cavendish somewhere in betwee, Prince William, the Duke of Clarence so he doesn't insult him, and dinner with his mother and father; that is all in the first day or so...

 

Granger handled the situation at the King's leveee about as well as anyone would be able to. He and Caroline move through this world with such ease. The banter between the two is just so well written and scripted. I feel like a fly on the wall between two people in love.

 

With the capture of the Spanish galleon standing, Granger has more money than even Caroline knows what to do... I am glad to hear that Kingsdale was able to end up with enough money to set himself and his affairs in order. I am also glad that he was able to spend additional time with the Earl and Granger's family. This should have helped him be even more prepared to deal with his own affairs.

 

While I am sure that Granger is awaiting his exchange, I for one hope that he gets to spend sometime ashore and we get to see him in this arena.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 01/04/2014 02:26 AM, centexhairysub said:
Just back and already Granger's dance card is all full... He has to see the Prince of Wales to thank him for the appointments, Lord Spencer at the Admirality, Cavendish somewhere in betwee, Prince William, the Duke of Clarence so he doesn't insult him, and dinner with his mother and father; that is all in the first day or so...

 

Granger handled the situation at the King's leveee about as well as anyone would be able to. He and Caroline move through this world with such ease. The banter between the two is just so well written and scripted. I feel like a fly on the wall between two people in love.

 

With the capture of the Spanish galleon standing, Granger has more money than even Caroline knows what to do... I am glad to hear that Kingsdale was able to end up with enough money to set himself and his affairs in order. I am also glad that he was able to spend additional time with the Earl and Granger's family. This should have helped him be even more prepared to deal with his own affairs.

 

While I am sure that Granger is awaiting his exchange, I for one hope that he gets to spend sometime ashore and we get to see him in this arena.

Thanks for the review!

 

I suspect that the exchange would take a bit, and that will leave him at home. That's a good thing for him, but I can't help but think he'll be chafing at the bit to get another ship after a relatively short period of time.

 

It's worth considering that a lot of powerful people are probably very interested in keeping him home. Would they delay his exchange?

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I love this story and the the carictors are just brilliant rounded and believable , brilliant job as always but more more more please .

  • Like 5
Link to comment

All that was said before me, times ten. I wonder how long he will be able to keep the crew at the Abbey safe from the press. Thanks again for that wonderful chapter.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

George had much to be proud of during his reception with the king.  I feel like Caroline is acting more and more like Davina.  She has circumvented George's directive and probably  coerced Calvert into accepting the lower reward out of greed and her petty revenge.  When will George put her in her place?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

George has spent more time on land lately than he has since he was a boy and it's not over. It's time to really rest and recharge.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..