Jump to content
    Mikiesboy
  • Author
  • 2,222 Words
  • 2,505 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Only Prompts - 10. Dogman - O.Henry Prompt 3

Please look here to read the prompt.

O. Henry Short Story Prompt 3 – Hour of the Dogman

 

 

Being polite did not help, so Sam pushed his way through the elbow-to-elbow crush of his fellow travelers to disembark the subway car, giving his backpack a good tug to free it too. Finally able to breathe, he drew in a lungful of air that was not populated by the fumes of a hundred types of perfume and cologne.

“Thank god that’s over for two whole days!” Sam muttered, mainly to himself. He walked briskly down the platform looking for the Main Street exit. His thoughts of freedom were brief, as visions of his first chore once he walked through the apartment door entered his head.

Akasha.

That was the name of his partner’s fat, spoiled, mincing apricot teacup poodle. Akasha, by order of his partner Randolf, had to be walked as soon as Sam got in.

‘Because she’s been alone since we left in the morning, Sam.’ Randy would say—that made sense, but it was odd Randy was never home in time to walk his dog.

Sam stopped and looked up at the apartment building where he and Randy lived. Then with a sigh, he pulled his keys from his pocket, opened the door and entered the building. He took the small, slow elevator up to the sixth floor.

Loath to find what mess the spoiled dog may have made, Sam didn’t rush down the hall to open his door. The little shit always knew he was home though and started barking—more like squeaking—as soon as he got off the elevator. Today was no different and he unlocked the door, stepped in and closed it behind him. And like always, Akasha was there to greet him. She bounced, barked, growled, and bared her tiny teeth just before she latched onto the cuff of Sam’s trousers.

He shook his leg. “Get off, you little … horror!”

The tenacious creature slid across the dining room floor and scrabbled her little legs to regain traction. Sam ignored her and reached for her pink leash which hung on the rear of the door, and shoved a few poop bags into his pocket. Once the dog returned, Sam bent down to clip the leash on. He’d nearly attached it when Akasha bit Sam’s thumb.

“Ouch! You little piece of shit!” He dropped the leash and stalked into the washroom. He washed his bleeding thumb and dried it. He put on a bandage and leaned on the sink, his head hanging, and he sighed. Looking down he noticed Akasha beside him. She stared at him with big brown eyes, making Sam feel like a giant monster. He bent and quickly picked up the pooch. He held her at eye-level.

“I’m sorry, dog. This isn’t your fault; you were badly raised. Come on, let’s get your leash and go for your walk.”

Sam returned to the foyer and picked-up the leash, still holding the dog. The leash clipped on, he held her in front of him and looked into her eyes—he’d just smiled at her when she bit his nose. His howl of pain frightened the little dog into letting go.

After round two in the washroom and a dab of antiseptic, Sam and Akasha walked down the street together to the local park. The last of the warmth dribbled from the sun as the pair walked the asphalt path through the green-space. The tiny terror tied to him growled and snapped at every dog she met, while owners smiled and pulled their charges from each other. They apologized and chastised their dogs as if they were children: “Oh, I’m sorry, he’s just so naughty. Come on Bradley!”

Sam noticed with growing horror that these other men … they were all men, looked as miserable as he felt. They all walked things that were no longer dogs, but were precious, pampered, and pretentious. Sam pulled Akasha to a halt and looked down at her saying, “You’re a dog. Not a jewel, not a baby, and not a precious angel. You are a dog. And guess what else. I don’t need you, or your owner if I’m honest. I have a degree in agriculture. I left behind a career, a life and love for … for this!”

He pulled the leash and sat down on a nearby bench. Ignoring Akasha’s whining, Sam thought, ‘I’d been ready to start my own business. Jim and I were going to run it, once Jim got out of the Air Force. But Randolf Masterson came along and I let him turn my head. Let him tell me life in the city would be everything we could want and more. He’d run his restaurant, while I … what am I? I’m a glorified fruit buyer for Best Fruit and Veg—not what I went to school for. I was impatient, greedy and a fool. So now look at me! I’m a Dog-man! What would have happened if I’d just waited another year for Jim?’

The incessant whining forced Sam to his feet. “Come on. I better get you home and feed you.”

Sam walked briskly out of the park and was nearly home when he heard his name: Sam!

That voice, it was familiar and he stopped and turned. He couldn’t believe his eyes.

Jim!

“Jim? Oh, my God! Why are you here? It’s so wonderful to see you!” Sam sputtered and pulled his old lover into an awkward embrace.

Jim hugged his old friend and gently untangled himself. “It’s good to see you! I’m in town on a conference and I thought I’d look you up.”

“Wow, I’m glad you did.”

“So, can we go to your place and chat for a bit?”

“Um, better if we …. I know a great bar with a nice patio where I can bring the ball and chain.”

“Oh, you got married! Congrat—”

“No, Randy and I aren’t married. I mean this thing ….” Sam pointed to the powder-puff pooch beside him.

Jim looked disappointed. “Oh, I see. Is it yours?”

“No. She’s Randy’s, but I usually get stuck looking after her.” Sam wanted to punt the pup down the street. “Come on, let’s go.”

The friends walked along chatting about the weather and inner-city travel until they were seated on the patio at the Bird’s Eye Pub.

Their pints of bitter in front of them, bowl of water for Akasha, and a large plate of deluxe-nachos ordered, the two men talked.

Sam sipped his drink. “Tell me Jim, what are you doing now?”

“Well, I went ahead and started the cheese factory and dairy that we’d always talked about, Sam.”

“Really? That’s wonderful. How are you doing?” Sam felt the first stabs of regret and envy.

The waiter brought the cheesy plate of nachos and the two dug in.

Jim swallowed, wiped his fingers on a napkin, and replied, “It’s better than we’d ever hoped, Sam. People come from all over. I started with just me and thirty Nubian goats. I’ve just ordered twenty La Mancha’s. Both are great dairy goats; lots of butterfat. And I’ve added staff too: another stockman, a second cheese maker, and I’ll need someone else in the shop!”

Sam pushed down his jealousy, knowing it was due to his own choices, not Jim’s. “Oh, that’s wonderful, man. I’m happy for you.”

Jim smiled happily. “Just think how great it would have been if you’d stayed and we’d started that organic salad and veg part of the business! I guess we’d branch out into our own salad dressings and stuff too!”

This was getting harder; Sam felt anger and much regret. “Yeah, just think. Instead here I am, buying crates of oranges for Best Fruit and Veg.”

Jim watched the feelings pass over his old friend’s face. “Oh, Sam. Look maybe this was a bad idea. I’m sorry if I ….”

“No. This isn’t your fault and I am very happy for you, Jimmy.”

Jim reached over the table and placed his hand over Sam’s. He spoke quietly. “You know, if you’re unhappy … well, it’s not too late.”

Akasha began barking and whining, breaking the intimacy—Sam pulled his hand away. “Look, it’s been great to see you.”

Jim sighed. “Yeah, for me too, Sam.” He glanced at his watch. “Look I should … I have a train to catch.” He stood up and shook Sam’s hand. “Come and visit. You’re always welcome, Sam.”

Jim put money on the table, patted Sam on the back and leaned in to kiss his cheek. “Take care.” With that he walked away.

Sam paid his share of the tab and pulled Akasha home, every once in a while he shook her off his pant leg.

 

That night, when Randy wanted his needs fulfilled Sam said no and turned over. This went on for several days until Randy got angry.

“What is your problem, Sam?”

Sam lay on his side of the bed, as far from Randy as he could. “I’m tired.”

“You’re always fucking tired!” Randy sat up, leaning back against the headboard. “Look babe, come on. You know you like it after we do it.”

“I don’t want sex.”

“Huh, no kidding. What the fuck do you want?”

“I want a life.”

“You have one, with me here.”

Sam laughed but there was no happiness in the sound. “No! You have a life. You are a celebrity chef, you go out, and you go to parties. No one fucking knows I am your partner. Fuck I hate that term.”

Randy felt the anger from Sam and it surprised him. “You do? You hate it? Sam, I ….”

Sam was fuming now and determined that Randy should understand. “Yes, I hate it. It sounds like we’re in business together, not that we’re a family. And I hate your fucking dog! I hate walking it, feeding it and being anywhere near it. You never fucking ask me to help you, you order me. I’m sick of it, sick of us and I’m sick of you.” Sam threw off the covers and stood up, arms crossed, leaning against the wall to look out the window.

Shock filled Randy’s face and Sam’s anger was like a sledgehammer. “Babe, I ….”

Sam spun around, ready to attack. “I have a fucking degree in Agriculture. I was set to start a business with a wonderful man. Organic and speciality vegetables and a small cheese factory. Then I listened to you and look at me. I’m one of the fucking Dogmen! Pathetic fools who walk alien creatures we once knew as dogs! Because that creature is more important to you than I am.” Sam wiped away hot tears. “I gave up everything for you and now I cannot stand myself.”

Randy got up, walked to his partner and pulled him close. Sam fought him, but Randy took the blows and just held on. Finally Sam tired and just stood still, arms limp at his sides.

“I’m sorry,” Randy whispered. “I am. I am sorry. I didn’t know. I love you, Sammy. I never … never wanted to hurt you. I thought the city would be the best place ….”

Sam slipped his arms around Randy and leaned against him.

“I’m not that happy either, Sammy. I’ve been pretending a long time.”

“What?” Sam pushed away and looked into Randy’s green eyes.

“This wasn’t … isn’t my dream. The restaurant isn’t really either, well it was, but not anymore.”

“What is?”

They pair sat on the edge of the bed and pulled a blanket over their shoulders. Randy took Sam’s hands in his own. “You really want to know?”

“Yes, yes, of course I want to know!”

Randy nodded. “Well, okay. The honest truth is I’d love a small country inn or pub. Somewhere quiet, where locals come to have a drink and lunch, maybe dinner. We’d have our own chickens and well, you can grow all our produce—you’re good with your hands.”

Sam was frustrated. “Then why are we here, if that’s what you wanted. You knew my dreams too.”

“I thought starting here … then it all just became a habit.” Randy gazed at Sam. “Do you really hate Akasha?”

“Yes. No! I don’t know. I guess I hate what she represents. And all this shit you do for her, feed her, and carry her around. She’s a dog, Randy. She deserves to have the life of one.”

“What about us, Sammy?”

“I don’t know, is there any hope?”

“You said you hate being my partner.”

“That’s because I’d rather be your husband.” Sam smiled and kissed Randy softly.

Randy pulled Sam down onto the bed next him and then rolled on top. “Start again?”

“Mmm. You’re serious, right?”

“Yes. Yes I am very serious. Let’s go and get the life we want.” Randy kissed Sam with passion and they clung together. “I love you, Sam.”

“I love you too. Can we really do this?”

Randy grinned. “Yes, we can.”

“Akasha is getting a new collar and leash, in camouflage!”

“Pink, right?”

Sam smiled broadly and ran his hands down his lover’s back. “Okay, fine. Pink camo it is!”

Randy grinned. “So, you taking my last name when we get married?”

 

C’est Fini.

Thanks to AC Benus for putting these prompts together. They are so much fun to write.
Thanks to you all for reading!!
Copyright © 2017 Mikiesboy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Never having read the source of the prompt I read this as a stand alone piece. It serves very grandly in that manner. I suspect it's equally grand as a response to the prompt.
Surprising how easily we can settle into a life that doesn't suit us only because we think it's what someone else wants. Well done.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Hey, tim! I read the prompt first, and expected a Sam and Jim result. I loved that you showed Sam really did love Randy, and that lack of communication was the problem. I'm pleased too that Akasha gets another chance. It was a shitty life for her too... and... I loved this... "The last of the warmth dribbled from the sun" ... well done, buddy... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

One thing that's subtle, and passed me by on first reading, is how you establish Sam's moral fiber for the reader early on. Even though Akasha is sign and symbol of his unhappiness in the city, he tells the dog: "This isn’t your fault; you were badly raised." This is a subtle hint that he's not the kind to run away from his troubles.

 

Like all of your work of this nature, you offer us a great blend of humor and touching, person-to-person connection. I think this piece is an absolute delight.

 

Thank you for taking the O. Henry Prompt challenge! Great job.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I have been slow to wake, to rise and to read today. This was a treat to find! You handled this prompt with finesse, and I love the way you resolved the tensions that underlay Sam's relationship with Randy (way better than Randolf :) ) And while it is easy to consider the temptation of running away back to Jim, you took a harder, route, but the better one. But I have to admit, Akasha would try my patience terribly...
Great story!

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/25/2016 04:18 AM, dughlas said:

Never having read the source of the prompt I read this as a stand alone piece. It serves very grandly in that manner. I suspect it's equally grand as a response to the prompt.

Surprising how easily we can settle into a life that doesn't suit us only because we think it's what someone else wants. Well done.

I read AC's prompt but not the actual story before I respond to the prompt. I don't want to know what O.Henry did. I do know now, but it's much different from what I ended up with. These are a lot of fun to write ...

Thanks for your comments and for reading this dugh!!

 

tim xoxxo

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/25/2016 10:56 AM, Headstall said:

Hey, tim! I read the prompt first, and expected a Sam and Jim result. I loved that you showed Sam really did love Randy, and that lack of communication was the problem. I'm pleased too that Akasha gets another chance. It was a shitty life for her too... and... I loved this... "The last of the warmth dribbled from the sun" ... well done, buddy... cheers... Gary....

Thanks Gary. The original story had a Sam and Jim result, which I didnt know when I wrote this. But I'm glad both Sam and Randy decided to fight for their relationship. It's very easy to just walk away. I also feel sorry for those spoiled dogs. You're not doing them any favours. Ripley was a poodle but he was a dog first ... he loved to be into things, loved to walk. He did not like puddles! But we didn't pick him up.. walk thru or find a way around. He loved to place fetch too, which was in his retriever nature.

 

Thanks Gary for your great comments and all your support!!

 

tim oxoxoxo

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/26/2016 02:56 AM, AC Benus said:

One thing that's subtle, and passed me by on first reading, is how you establish Sam's moral fiber for the reader early on. Even though Akasha is sign and symbol of his unhappiness in the city, he tells the dog: "This isn’t your fault; you were badly raised." This is a subtle hint that he's not the kind to run away from his troubles.

 

Like all of your work of this nature, you offer us a great blend of humor and touching, person-to-person connection. I think this piece is an absolute delight.

 

Thank you for taking the O. Henry Prompt challenge! Great job.

Thanks very much AC. This was easy to write and a lot of fun. I remember asking you if it was okay if it was humourous. But life is.. and that's how I try to write, as real as possible.

 

Thanks for the great prompt!! Your great skills as an editor are a god send.

 

tim xoxoxo

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/26/2016 05:58 AM, Parker Owens said:

I have been slow to wake, to rise and to read today. This was a treat to find! You handled this prompt with finesse, and I love the way you resolved the tensions that underlay Sam's relationship with Randy (way better than Randolf :) ) And while it is easy to consider the temptation of running away back to Jim, you took a harder, route, but the better one. But I have to admit, Akasha would try my patience terribly...

Great story!

After Thanksgiving feasting you're allowed to be slow. I'm pleased you found this and enjoyed it, Parker. Giving up and walking away is easy, much harder to work to make the relationship better. We've had issues in our marriage, but we both want it to work. So I guess that's where I'm coming from. Thanks for reading and your comments.

 

tim xoxo

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Very well done, tim!

 

Of course, it took me a long time to get to it. First, I had to sift through everything that piled up in my two-day absence -- was there a fire sale on stories? And then, once I got Mark's story finished -- sorry -- and landed on yours, but had to trace back up the ladder of references to find the prompt and the meaning of it. Then, being who I am, I had to think about how I would have written the story, if I ever had the time.

 

Finally, I began reading and was at once captured by you usual light deftness of placing us in the moment. A little head feint toward Jim, a deke around the defenceman Akasha and a goal with Randy was a great tic-tac-toe in the finest sense! A great score, my friend!

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/26/2016 08:10 AM, skinnydragon said:

Very well done, tim!

 

Of course, it took me a long time to get to it. First, I had to sift through everything that piled up in my two-day absence -- was there a fire sale on stories? And then, once I got Mark's story finished -- sorry -- and landed on yours, but had to trace back up the ladder of references to find the prompt and the meaning of it. Then, being who I am, I had to think about how I would have written the story, if I ever had the time.

 

Finally, I began reading and was at once captured by you usual light deftness of placing us in the moment. A little head feint toward Jim, a deke around the defenceman Akasha and a goal with Randy was a great tic-tac-toe in the finest sense! A great score, my friend!

LOL, skinny! What a great review. See what happens when you disappear for a few days!! Thanks for reading it and the brilliant review .. a story in itself.

 

tim xoxxo

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Hey tim
It's funny timing - or maybe not - but on one of my recent walks, I really noticed the "Dogmen" as you've pegged them (quite correctly, I might add) out walking critters that surely they did not pick of their own volition.
I wasn't sure where this story was going because of Sam's inner thoughts and all the twists and turns, but I am happy with where he and Randy ended up.
You very ably hammered home the idea that it's okay to change something if you don't like it or you're unhappy. Communication is a key part of any relationship - something that Sam and Randy came to realize in time.
As always, nicely done. :)

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

This was so good tim.. But really, I don't expect any different.
I was glad that Sam and Randy worked it out. I was worried because you really played into Sam's feelings and I felt his heaviness.. Wise to talk it out!
I like a happy ending so there's that too.. Loved it, great job..

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/26/2016 10:34 AM, Reader1810 said:

Hey tim

It's funny timing - or maybe not - but on one of my recent walks, I really noticed the "Dogmen" as you've pegged them (quite correctly, I might add) out walking critters that surely they did not pick of their own volition.

I wasn't sure where this story was going because of Sam's inner thoughts and all the twists and turns, but I am happy with where he and Randy ended up.

You very ably hammered home the idea that it's okay to change something if you don't like it or you're unhappy. Communication is a key part of any relationship - something that Sam and Randy came to realize in time.

As always, nicely done. :)

Dogmen is O.Henry's term. But i do feel sorry for the dogs. They just want to be dogs. If something isn't working it needs to be fixed and Randy and Sam were able to do that.

 

Thanks for reading! And your great commments!!

 

tim xxoxo

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/26/2016 10:49 AM, Defiance19 said:

This was so good tim.. But really, I don't expect any different.

I was glad that Sam and Randy worked it out. I was worried because you really played into Sam's feelings and I felt his heaviness.. Wise to talk it out!

I like a happy ending so there's that too.. Loved it, great job..

Awww Def, you're very kind. Well need to write a happy ending sometimes don't I? But life is full of ups and downs.

 

Thanks for your comments and support

 

tim xoxo

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

A slice of life that kept me guessing about the final outcome. I'm still not sure... do they really have pink camouflage?

 

Well written, entertaining, a good interpretation of the prompt.

 

I want to know if they actually went through with it, and I can't help wondering about Randy, dogs they say reflect their owners characters!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/29/2016 08:32 AM, William King said:

A slice of life that kept me guessing about the final outcome. I'm still not sure... do they really have pink camouflage?

 

Well written, entertaining, a good interpretation of the prompt.

 

I want to know if they actually went through with it, and I can't help wondering about Randy, dogs they say reflect their owners characters!

Hi William... yep they do: https://www.etsy.com/market/pink_camo_dog

 

I've not really thought about writing any more. But you never know. Thanks for reading and your comments!! Much appreciated!

 

tim xoxo

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I feel sorry for Jim, who apparently still pines for Sam. :(  It seems Sam was only able to speak his mind to Randy when he had another option. But I'm somewhat pleased to know Sam did actually fall in love with Randy, stays loyal to him and wants to make it work out. It was even more of a surprise the selfish git actually cared about Sam and was devastated at the prospect of losing him. So I shall wish them a happy life, but all my sympathy goes to Jim, who got his heart broken a second time. :hug:  

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

I feel sorry for Jim, who apparently still pines for Sam. :(  It seems Sam was only able to speak his mind to Randy when he had another option. But I'm somewhat pleased to know Sam did actually fall in love with Randy, stays loyal to him and wants to make it work out. It was even more of a surprise the selfish git actually cared about Sam and was devastated at the prospect of losing him. So I shall wish them a happy life, but all my sympathy goes to Jim, who got his heart broken a second time. :hug:  

Yeah, but Jim is a catch, I think. I'm sure he'll find someone. People get caught up in their lives so often, they forget what is really important. It's not all the things you buy or collect, it's the ones you love. There is nothing else that matters that much, yet how often do we fail to see it.  

 

Thanks Tim xoxxo love your reviews!!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

This was absolutely beautiful. Well written, not what I was expecting once I saw Jim. But I love how Sam let dam break, and the unleashed emotions flooded out. It was wonderful.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

This was absolutely beautiful. Well written, not what I was expecting once I saw Jim. But I love how Sam let dam break, and the unleashed emotions flooded out. It was wonderful.

Thanks very much A.  i love prompts ..

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I went with my ex-boyfriend to pick up his Bichon Frise, a very pretentious poodle semi-look-alike. The dog had been staying with my ex’s ex-husband. I got evicted from the front seat for the animal.

800px-Bichon_Fris%C3%A9_-_studdogbichon.

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I went with my ex-boyfriend to pick up his Bichon Frise, a very pretentious poodle semi-look-alike. The dog had been staying with my ex’s ex-husband. I got evicted from the front seat for the animal.

 

Yeah .. no.  Our dog was a miniature poodle. He never had a poodle cut... he didnt get carried. He had energy to burn. He was a great dog... but a dog.  Thanks for reading.. and you shouldn't have been ejected from the front seat...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..