Jump to content
    Mikiesboy
  • Author
  • 1,830 Words
  • 2,529 Views
  • 24 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Only Prompts - 12. Notebook

Prompt #571

 

Notebook

 

The phone was ringing. I knew it was just a dream. The phone kept on ringing.

An annoying dream it seemed.

I reached for the phone, and in my dream, put it to my ear. “Hello?”

“Den?”

I knew the voice.

“Den?”

Why is Arlo in my dream?

“Den!”

“Arlo, why are you in my dream?”

“Den…damnit, wake the fuck up!”

“Huh? Wha… Oh… shit. Arlo? What’s wrong?”

He chuckled. “I left my backpack. I need to come get it.”

Awake finally, I replied, “Oh, in other words, you left your notebook! Sure come on by whenever.”

“K, I’ll see you in an hour or so. Let you get your fat ass outta bed.”

“My ass is not fat, thank you!”

“You haven’t walked behind yourself lately, hmm?”

“See you later, Arlo!” I put my phone down. ‘Fat ass…my…my ass!’

I picked up my tiny travel clock, which sat on my bedside table, and peered at it. Its little white hands read 9:25am. Oh, okay. There was a smallish mess out in the front room.

Me, Arlo, Becks and Matt had had a nice boys’ night the previous night. We’d drunk too much beer, ate pizza and wings, watched the Blue Jays lose and then regaled each other with stories of manly prowess of the sexual variety.

‘Up, lump!’ I sat up and stretched my legs out in front of me. After sliding off the bed I found yesterday’s underwear and pulled them and a pair of cut-offs on. I stood in front of the mirror and tried to see if my ass was spreading. It still looked okay, as far as I could see.

I attended to my morning needs and then padded out to the living room.

Ignoring the mess, pizza crusts, chicken bones, and stale beer, I found Arlo’s backpack behind the sofa.

It was wrong.

I know. I was raised to respect people’s privacy and property.

But I was curious. Arlo had never let me look at his notebook. I’d known him since seventh grade, nearly twenty years, and I’d never seen inside that book. I supposed he had twenty or more of them by now, but never a glimpse into any of them. Arlo, I should explain, is a published author, so all these notebooks did get used and were necessary to him, or that’s what he told anyone who asked.

So now, I had the opportunity and I opened the main compartment of his aged green backpack. When I looked inside—there it sat—his black ring-bound notebook. I pulled it out and just held it.

‘You shouldn’t do this, Den.’

I told myself to shut up.

I opened the notebook to the first page and flipped through to the latest entry. Arlo had written thoughts about what was happening in the headlines. There were notes about some characters he was developing for a story, and there was a poem.

‘Poetry?’ Who knew he wrote poetry? Why had he never said he wrote poetry?

Definitely I shouldn’t read it, but I couldn’t stop myself.

What boundaries love?
Can what I feel be wrong?
He is untouchable.
Beauty untellable, only seen.

 

Hmm, I wondered if this was about that new woman. Sarah, I think was her name. The ‘he’ must be a mistake.

Finally, the guilt started to hit me. I closed the notebook and picked it up to slide it back into the backpack when a piece of paper slid out. I watched it float a couple of feet and land under the coffee table. I put the notebook down and went to retrieve the paper from the floor.

I grabbed it and returned to the sofa. I glanced at it, ready to return it to the notebook, but I saw my name on it. The paper was sort of yellowed. It was a letter, addressed to me, dated May 2007—ten years ago. I had to read it …

Dear Denny,

This letter is hard to write.

Since you told me 3 weeks ago that you were into guys, I haven’t thought of much else. I mean all through school, you never seemed to like girls like the rest of us. But I never thought that you were, well you know.

So you probably want to know why I’m writing this. The truth is, since you told me, I haven’t known what to do.

Shit, the truth is, I’ve been thinking….

 

My reading was interrupted by a knock on the door. Panicking like I’d been caught with my hand in the cookie jar, I jumped to my feet and ran to the door to open it.

Arlo stood there smiling broadly. I took a step back to allow him entrance. He walked in but his blue eyes were on mine.

“You okay, Denny? You look a little hot. Not watching porn at this time of day are ya?” He shrugged out of his military jacket and dropped it onto the bench that stood by the door. “Glad you dressed.” He gave me a back-hand to the abs.

I swallowed, and gave him a smile. I’d just realized I was still clutching the letter in my left hand. Arlo had moved out of the small entranceway so I wondered if I could hide the letter. Where though?

“Damn you, Den. You piece of shit!”

“What?”

I followed him into the living room. He stood there in front of the sofa where the backpack sat, and beside it, the notebook. Idiot—I could have taken a minute to shove it back in before answering the door.

“I can’t believe you did this.”

I felt hot and guilty. “I’m sorry, ‘Lo. I’d only just found it and opened it. I didn’t see anything. I know that doesn’t make it right. I was gonna put it back when you knocked….”

Arlo had the notebook and was flipping through it. He dropped it and was pawing through his backpack with some urgency. “Where is it?”

“What? I never took anything else out, ‘Lo.”

“It was in the notebook—a piece of paper.”

He turned, and examined me up and down. “What’s in your hand? You have it, you bastard. Did you read it?”

He headed toward me, he seemed angry, so I took a step back. Arlo grabbed my right bicep, fingers digging deep. I know I winced and gasped.

“Give me the paper.”

I held it out. “I didn’t read it all. Arlo, I never knew you were upset that I’m Gay.”

“I’m not.” He didn’t take the letter from me.

He released my arm.

“No, but the letter ….”

Arlo sat on the sofa. I perched on the edge next to him. My usually confident friend seemed conflicted.

“Arlo, you’ve been carrying this letter around for ten years. Why didn’t you give it to me?”

He sighed deeply. “I wanted to. So many times, Den. I was afraid of what you’d think.”

What I’d think? “What are you talking about? We’re friends; we’ve been through lots of shit together….” I put the letter on the coffee table and tried to smooth it. “What does this say then?”

Arlo snatched the letter from the table. “It doesn’t matter.”

He put the letter down in front of him and carried on trying to flatten it like I’d been doing.

I sat back. “Obviously it does, Arlo. What the fuck does it say?”

“It says….” He rubbed his hands down his thighs. He was sweating and his voice hitched as he said, “It says…that…that I love you.”

I felt his eyes on me. Every emotion went through me in seconds—what did he mean? “We’re friends forever, I love you too.”

“No!” He stood up and stalked to the window. “No, Den. That’s not what I mean.”

“It’s not? Then ….” He couldn’t mean…he’s always got a girlfriend.

He’d returned to the sofa but sat closer to me. “Den…Den you are always on my mind. I think about you all the time.”

I stared at him. “For ten years, ‘Lo? You’re straight. You always have a beautiful girlfriend.”

“Straight, Gay, Bi, so many words. Labels. Why can’t I love you? Do I have to be anything?”

I was confused. “But you like girls!”

“I do. But when I’m in bed with them, I need to think of you—think of being with you then I can…finish.” He took and held my hand. Arlo met my eyes. “You feel anything for me, Den?”

My mouth gaped as I fought to find words and sort out feelings.

He’d gotten up and pulled me to my feet. Suddenly I was in Arlo’s arms and this was no guy hug.

I’d never noticed before, Arlo smelled like lime and basil and I breathed him into my lungs, and held on to him. Too soon he was holding me at arm’s length, and then bending a little to look into my eyes. It was Arlo but yet, not.

His rough hands were holding my cheeks and he spoke but I couldn’t hear such was the rushing in my ears. I noticed tears in Arlo’s blue eyes. His hands trembled as he held onto me. He was perspiring and breathing hard.

Then his lips were on mine. Softly at first and then with urgency—we kissed, deep hot kisses and they got me hard in seconds. Him too, because he slid his hands down my body and held my ass in his big hands and ground against me.

This was too much. “Arlo, please stop.”

He did and sat with his head in his hands. “I’m sorry.”

I sat beside him. “Arlo…you’re not Gay.”

“I don’t know what I am. Why do I have to have a name for it? I love you Denny. I have for years. I have girlfriends for sex. That’s why they don’t stay around, cuz they figure it out. I fuck them, I take them out and spend time with them to get sex, but really all I want is you.”

“You’re serious.”

His head swiveled toward me. “Yes, I’m fucking serious. Do you feel anything for me?”

I sat back. I needed to think and I needed to answer my best friend. “Arlo, I think I could—do. You need to be patient; this is the first I’m hearing that you feel this way.”

He nodded but looked miserable. His broad shoulders sagged.

I needed to sort out how I felt and help Arlo. “So, you doing anything today, ‘Lo?”

“Nah.”

“Then stay here with me. We can clean up, make some food, watch the ball game and talk.”

Arlo looked happier. “Can we kiss?”

I grinned at him. “Sure we can. Right after we clean up.”

“You’re teasing me, Den.”

After grinning at him, I leaned in and kissed his cheek, then ran a finger slowly down his chest. “No, baby, I think I’ve been teasing you long enough…."

Thanks to AC Benus for his excellent editing skills and suggestions. Thanks to all of you as well!!!
Copyright © 2017 Mikiesboy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I often wonder if all our ingrained perceptions about life and others were removed... our sexuality in particular... would this sort of occurrence in your story happen more often. I know growing up that my straight friend loved me, and that part of that love was sexual. There's not a doubt in my mind. Anyway, this was a great story, tim. Good flow with few words, a believable turn of events, and I could so obviously relate. Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Hi tim, this little story is very well written and sweet in it`s moment. It leaves me with very mixed feelings. I would like to like Arlo, but I can`t. Maybe it is because of knowing him not good enough, but I do not get over, how he treated women. I spend the whole morning thinking about this, knowing I am very touchy in the moment and trying to relativize it. But stories aren`t written to leave us in our comfort zones and the truth is, that live can be ugly. In conclusion such character has it`s need to be written and therefore well done.

It is nice, that Den gets his happy ending. xoxoxo Lyssa

Link to comment

It's strange how the world can tilt and suddenly even familiar things are completely different. Arlo should have avoided hurting others, but sometimes you make the wrong decision. We know nothing of his life or background. Perhaps it was impossible to admit his feelings? To others and to himself. But the truth is out now. Who knows where they'll end up, but I think it's a better place than denial and not knowing. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
10 hours ago, AC Benus said:

I really like this story. I think you have a way of capturing these 'on the verge' moments really well. Arlo forgot his bag, and then Den did what he should not have done...and yet it all worked out for the best. 

 

The kenetic energy of 'Lo taking his chance is fascinating to watch. He seems desperate to make 'this happen' at last, but he's also understandably nervous. A lot is on the line for him. 

 

As I said, I really like this vignette; it's full of motion and emotion - two things in combination I like very much. 

Thanks AC for this wonderful comment. If i'm honest, i'm not sure i'd ignore that notebook until the owner arrived. Curiosity etc. etc.  Thanks for everything.. xoxo

  • Like 4
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Lux Apollo said:

This is a wonderful short piece. The confusion, defogging... it holds together so well.  Great job.

Thanks for your comments Lux ... I appreciate it!!

xo

  • Like 4
Link to comment
15 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

I really, really like this. I can relate completely. It is lucky Arlo and Den feel like that about each other, still better that the air finally cleared enough to see and understand. A beautiful story. 

It could have gone the other way ... but we really don't know where this will end up, or even if it will be a relationship. It's a moment, that's all.  Thanks for your comments Parker...    xoxo

 

 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 5
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Headstall said:

I often wonder if all our ingrained perceptions about life and others were removed... our sexuality in particular... would this sort of occurrence in your story happen more often. I know growing up that my straight friend loved me, and that part of that love was sexual. There's not a doubt in my mind. Anyway, this was a great story, tim. Good flow with few words, a believable turn of events, and I could so obviously relate. Cheers... Gary....

Thanks Gary ... you're right .. I think there are Gay, straight, bi, and all the other choices in between because for some of us, it's just how it is. Why we are so hung up on who our neighbour sleeps with i dont know. It's something i like to explore so i'm sure i'll write about it again.. thanks very much for reading and your comments.  xoxoxox

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Lyssa said:

Hi tim, this little story is very well written and sweet in it`s moment. It leaves me with very mixed feelings. I would like to like Arlo, but I can`t. Maybe it is because of knowing him not good enough, but I do not get over, how he treated women. I spend the whole morning thinking about this, knowing I am very touchy in the moment and trying to relativize it. But stories aren`t written to leave us in our comfort zones and the truth is, that live can be ugly. In conclusion such character has it`s need to be written and therefore well done.

It is nice, that Den gets his happy ending. xoxoxo Lyssa

I, frankly, don't think Arlo was evil in his intentions. Just like i dont think all of his girlfriends would have been sweet, retiring innocent creatures who never used a man to get ahead or to get what they want. Men and women do bad things, often on purpose, but more often because they are misguided or afraid of their own truth. 

 

We don't know if Den and Arlo will be happy. Denny may not want what Arlo does, who knows. This was a snapshot of a single moment. 

 

Thanks for reading and for your comments. Your insight and thoughts are always welcome!

 

xoxox

  • Like 4
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, Puppilull said:

It's strange how the world can tilt and suddenly even familiar things are completely different. Arlo should have avoided hurting others, but sometimes you make the wrong decision. We know nothing of his life or background. Perhaps it was impossible to admit his feelings? To others and to himself. But the truth is out now. Who knows where they'll end up, but I think it's a better place than denial and not knowing. 

As I wrote to Lyssa, I don't think Arlo was hurting women on purpose. Maybe he wanted to be 'normal'. Many of us repeat patterns until one day we finally see them ... but so many people never do. I think that's because we are afraid to see who we really are. So i think you're correct the truth sets you free. 

 

What will happen next who knows. Thanks for reading and your comments, Pup.. much appreciated!

xo

  • Like 4
Link to comment

You did a wonderful job with this.  "Gay for you" can be a tough angle to pull off believably, but you did it here.  I can see Arlo slowly realizing his feelings, but not having the courage or experience to say something to Den.  The feelings had to be confusing at first, and then he wouldn't want to lose his friend.  This wasn't looking across the room and falling for someone out of the blue.  They started as friends and maintained that friendship for ten years before those feelings came to light.  Again. very believably done. :hug: 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
52 minutes ago, LitLover said:

You did a wonderful job with this.  "Gay for you" can be a tough angle to pull off believably, but you did it here.  I can see Arlo slowly realizing his feelings, but not having the courage or experience to say something to Den.  The feelings had to be confusing at first, and then he wouldn't want to lose his friend.  This wasn't looking across the room and falling for someone out of the blue.  They started as friends and maintained that friendship for ten years before those feelings came to light.  Again. very believably done. :hug: 

Thank you.. I appreciate it .. As you say this has been simmering for sometime in Arlo's heart. I wonder what he felt before . but I wont write that.. something are better left alone.  I appreciate you saying this is believable.. that's wonderful to hear. Thanks again!

 

tim xoxo 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 4/18/2017 at 7:00 AM, Freerider said:

Ten years wasted... or not. We'll never know.

Nice short story, thanks!

Hey! Thanks for reading!  I appreciate it!  Maybe wasted, some guys never come out, it's so sad. So Arlo is luckier than most... I appreciate your comments.

 

tim xo

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 4/18/2017 at 1:00 PM, Freerider said:

Ten years wasted... or not. We'll never know.

 

On 4/20/2017 at 1:58 AM, Mikiesboy said:

 Maybe wasted, some guys never come out, it's so sad. So Arlo is luckier than most... 

 

Interesting, I had the same thought as Free, but your reply made a lot of sense. I bet if Denny had ever shown the slightest attraction to Arlo, he would have told him much earlier. At least, Arlo only dated the girls, he didn't marry one of them, and perhaps he hoped to find the girl who could push Den out of his heart as more than a friend. Luckily, Den overstepping the boundaries of friendship in reading the journal led to more than friends and not loss of friend. Great take on the promt, tim. :heart: 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

 

 

Interesting, I had the same thought as Free, but your reply made a lot of sense. I bet if Denny had ever shown the slightest attraction to Arlo, he would have told him much earlier. At least, Arlo only dated the girls, he didn't marry one of them, and perhaps he hoped to find the girl who could push Den out of his heart as more than a friend. Luckily, Den overstepping the boundaries of friendship in reading the journal led to more than friends and not loss of friend. Great take on the promt, tim. :heart: 

Thanks Tim!   I find it so horrifically sad that people cannot just be.   That we must label them, look down on them, laugh and point.  We waste so so much time hating and being afraid that life is wasted on so many of us. Love who you want to love, as long as it doesn't hurt (k, sometime a lil hurt is fun!), but you get my meaning, i'm sure.  How many people don't come out ever?  Who live lives they don't want to really live? There is no round two... this is our one shot. I've upset myself now.. 

 

Thanks for reading Tim.. much appreciated. 

 

hugs xoxxo

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Goodness, that was simmering for ten years and no one thought to say anything sooner? I suppose if you're not expecting to see something there's no reason to find it. Well, at least they have each other now, and that's a good thing.. 

I liked this tim, great job.. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Defiance19 said:

Goodness, that was simmering for ten years and no one thought to say anything sooner? I suppose if you're not expecting to see something there's no reason to find it. Well, at least they have each other now, and that's a good thing.. 

I liked this tim, great job.. 

I hummed and hawed about the number of years.. i suppose i could have said nine. :) 

Thanks for reading Def xox

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Excellent story! Reminds me of a Den/Arlo situation I was in. Really hit me in the feels.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 5/11/2017 at 10:12 PM, BHopper2 said:

Excellent story! Reminds me of a Den/Arlo situation I was in. Really hit me in the feels.

sorry i missed this reply A .. thanks for reading this .. and i'm glad it touched you. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..