Jump to content
    Mikiesboy
  • Author
  • 676 Words
  • 2,128 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Only Prompts - 13. Maple Drive

Prompt 625: Maple tree, winding road, storm clouds, a green jacket, a ball.

Just a little vignette inspired by these words.

Maple Drive

 

It was a beautiful fall weekend. I’d gone home to visit my parents. Sadly, Shawn was on call that weekend so he was unable to join me. It turned out to be a nice visit that by chance, was also the anniversary of my childhood friend Georgie’s death. I hadn’t forgotten, well not really, more… that I just didn’t want to remember. Mom, however, had other ideas.

We sat on the sofa finishing our coffee.

“I’ve bought some flowers and I thought we’d visit Georgie.” Mom patted my right knee.

While I smiled at her, inside I was screaming no! I’d not been Georgie’s graveside since the day of the funeral. I’d made a point of never returning.

“Adrian, it wasn’t your fault.” Mom kissed my cheek. “You’re not still blaming yourself?”

“Hard not to blame myself, when it was my fault.”

“Put on your jacket and come with me.”

It’s funny how they say you can’t go home again, but when you do, no matter how old you are, your mother can make you feel like you’ve never left or aged. I put on my jacket.

We walked the three blocks to St. Jude’s Cemetery. Then we found our way to Georgie’s resting place. Mom and I cleaned up the site a little and we left the flowers. Mom walked on ahead, but I stayed for a minute. I ran my hand over the rough headstone.

“You know I’m sorry. I hope you forgive me for what I did, Georgie. I’m so sorry.” The tears came from where they had been stored for twenty years. I stood and wiped my eyes and walked with Mom who was fifteen yards down the path.

Mom slid her arm through mine. “Are you off back home now, Adi? It’s a shame Shawn couldn’t join you this time.”

I looked down at the sidewalk. “Next time, Mom.”

“Are you okay dear?”

I drew in a deep breath and let it out. “Yes. Yes, I am.”

We walked back home. After saying goodbye, I drove through town when I decided, on a whim, to head to Maple Drive. It was a beautiful winding road to drive, but today I parked my car, and after a moment’s hesitation, got out.

It had been years since I walked this road. The last time had been with Georgie.

Today, the trees were glorious, just like they had been that day. Leaves wore all shades of green, gold and red. Fallen ones skittered along the road and I walked among them. Today was clear; that day there had been storm clouds.

The maple tree was just ahead. It was huge; it was one hundred years if it was a day. I reached the tree and looked up into the canopy, Massive branches reached over the road and tapered gracefully. It still held a few leaves. I walked around the silver-gray trunk to the other side. The scars were still there in the bark. I ran my fingers over the gouges.

“Oh, God.” I whispered. “I’m sorry, Georgie. I didn’t see the car… I swear I didn’t.”

“I know.” The voice was a whisper on the wind. “I know Adi.”

I turned and there was Georgie. She was dressed in the green jacket she loved. She ran toward me, kicking her ever present soccer ball. “Nearly dinner time, Adi.” She slipped her hand into mine and we walked back the way I’d come. Like we had a thousand times.

As we neared the car, she tugged me to a stop. Her blond hair blew softly around her beautiful face and she smiled. “I know, Adi, and it’s all right because it was just an accident.”

~ ~ ~

I awoke in the car, in the driver’s seat. Had that happened?

I started the engine and drove slowly past the old maple. As I took the first bend, I glanced in the rearview, hoping to see her… but there was nothing but the past behind me.

 

 

*****************************************************************************************************************************

Thanks to AC Benus for reading this for me.
Copyright © 2017 Mikiesboy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 9
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Loved it, tim. Excellent story, and a great use of the word list prompt. Sad story, but its true about moms.

Edited by BHopper2
  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I'm thinking, I'm thinking...this one leaves me with lots of thoughts and feelings - yes feelings - swirling through my brain, but words will not form. 

I feel this one.

 

Well done my friend, well done. :thumbup: 

 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 5
Link to comment

this one forced me to put down my laptop and weep like a baby. well done. this is what survivor's guilt feels like. put me right back, 40+ years as i watched a friend get struck by a car as he crossed the road, getting off the school bus. yea, the drunk flew threw the flashers, killed my friend and almost killed his 3 year old who was standing  in the front seat of the car. in no way it could have been my fault, but i still felt it. i avoided that road, still do  when i go back.. today i remember Marc for the wonderful, happy kid he was. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Your use of the prompt went far beyond what I could have done with those keywords. I came back to read it a second time so that I could see past the emotions. you told us so much in this short piece. Very well done, tim. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
3 hours ago, northie said:

Very clever use of the word list, and very touching. Well done.  :) 

Thank you very much, northie. I appreciate it. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, BHopper2 said:

Loved it, tim. Excellent story, and a great use of the word list prompt. Sad story, but its true about moms.

Thank you very much .. hehe.. moms cant help it... 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Reader1810 said:

I'm thinking, I'm thinking...this one leaves me with lots of thoughts and feelings - yes feelings - swirling through my brain, but words will not form. 

I feel this one.

 

Well done my friend, well done. :thumbup: 

 

I'm glad you felt it ... it was odd, I felt it when i read the prompt.. it was all right there waiting for me to write it down.  Thanks, Reader xoxo

  • Like 5
Link to comment
56 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

This. Is. Fantastic. I am touched, teary and happy Adi might forgive himself. Beautifully told, 

Thank you so much Parker.  I kinda like this one, too. xo

  • Like 3
Link to comment
56 minutes ago, mogwhy said:

this one forced me to put down my laptop and weep like a baby. well done. this is what survivor's guilt feels like. put me right back, 40+ years as i watched a friend get struck by a car as he crossed the road, getting off the school bus. yea, the drunk flew threw the flashers, killed my friend and almost killed his 3 year old who was standing  in the front seat of the car. in no way it could have been my fault, but i still felt it. i avoided that road, still do  when i go back.. today i remember Marc for the wonderful, happy kid he was. 

didn't want to make you cry... sorry you had to go through that

  • Like 4
Link to comment
51 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

You were able to capture many emotions and feeling. All within a small piece. Very well crafted tim. xo

thank you jp,  i appreciate your comments xoxxo

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

didn't want to make you cry... sorry you had to go through that

it's all ok, tim. i'm left with the great memory of a little boy full of life, running in the fall sun shine after a moment. and that is a good thing.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
52 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

Your use of the prompt went far beyond what I could have done with those keywords. I came back to read it a second time so that I could see past the emotions. you told us so much in this short piece. Very well done, tim. 

thank You, Sir.  sometimes things just come together. Read the prompt and it just worked. Thanks for reading it, Sir. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
53 minutes ago, deville said:

Beautiful ,  all green and gold and despite the sad content, warm and timeless.....

Thank you very much. I very much appreciate you reading this, and your comments. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

tim, this left me speechless. ..and at Georgie's first word I gasped. ..unexpected yet beautiful. Love that lasted, and understanding. .friendship is timeless...Very well written my boy.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, MichaelS36 said:

tim, this left me speechless. ..and at Georgie's first word I gasped. ..unexpected yet beautiful. Love that lasted, and understanding. .friendship is timeless...Very well written my boy.

Thank You, Michael. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..