Jump to content
    Mikiesboy
  • Author
  • 2,063 Words
  • 2,694 Views
  • 27 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Only Prompts - 8. First Love, Again

strong>Prompt 527 – Creative
Tag – First Love Again
It has been years since you saw your high school love. In fact it was the summer you both left for college. You’ve been home many times, but this is his first time back due to a family death. You run into him and talk only to discover both of you are single. Is this the rekindling of an old romance or just an old friendship?

First Love, Again

 

Mum put the bowl of fresh tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich in front of me. I smiled at her, as it was this meal that she always served as my first lunch when I came home. My palate had become more sophisticated living in the big city, but nothing was ever as good as this.

She sat down to watch me eat, just as she’d always done. “You know that Donald Richards died a few days ago.”

Soup slopped off the spoon as I jerked it to a stop before it reached my lips. Tiny drops of red decorated the rim of the white bowl and the back of my hand. I put the spoon back into the soup. “Jamie’s father?”

Mum nodded. “Yes, he’s been quite ill with cancer for some months. It was expected.”

“Wow. I had no idea. How is Marie? Have you seen her?” I wiped my mouth with the white paper napkin. I dabbed the soup from my hand too.

“I did go over—took a tuna casserole and pan of brownies—she’s bearing up. The girls are there.”

It was on the tip of my tongue and probably on Mum’s too, but I said it first. “Is Jamie coming home, for the funeral?”

Nodding, Mum said, “Marie said Jeanette called him. He said he’d think about it. He’s lucky he’s not my son!”

“Mum, please. You know the reasons behind that. It’s not all Jamie’s fault.”

“Well, he never kept in touch with his mum or sisters. And worse, you were his best friend! Did you ever hear from him?”

“No. I haven’t spoken to Jamie since the day we left for college.” It made me sad when I realized how much time had passed.

“Your dad and I are going of course. We’ve known them forever. You’ll come too, won’t you?”

“Yes, of course I will. I’ll need to go and buy something suitable to wear though.”

“We can go after lunch if you like, dear.”

I spooned some lukewarm soup into my mouth, followed by a bite of my now-cold grilled cheese and nodded.

 

The day of the funeral was bright and sunny. The weather service said it was going to be a nice warm day. Luckily my new navy blue suit was summer wool. I tied the dark-blue, muted-silk tie and put on my jacket and looked in the mirror. Not too shabby.

I wondered if Jamie would be there.

We’d been so close when growing up. The same age, same junior high school, similar likes: baseball, swimming, watermelon, burgers and onion rings, and boys. Jamie was a runner too, always in the top-three for the 100-metres dash, while I usually brought up the rear in cross-country.

In high school, things changed for us; we got closer. Jamie was my first crush, then my first kiss and finally, my first lover. We made plans, were accepted at the same college and couldn’t wait to go away together.

Two weeks before we were to leave, it happened—the thing that changed everything. We were found by Mr. Richard’s in flagrante delicto. I was given ten minutes to get out of their house and out of Jamie’s life.

I hadn’t come out to anyone but Jamie, but that night I had to tell my parents. They weren’t upset but mostly kind of sad.

Jamie got a note to me eventually through his oldest sister Jeanette. I met him under an old bridge by the river. I reached for him but he stepped away.

I blinked and dropped my hands by my sides. “Okay, fine.”

“Eddie! Jesus, we can’t. My father wants to disown me. He’s pulled me out of Brockville—”

“What?” I was horrified. “What do you mean?”

“I mean he won’t let me see you, or go to school with you. He blames you for turning me into a … a, well you know.”

I nodded but was angry. “Yeah I know. So you didn’t stand up for me, for us, at all?”

“I told you, he’ll disown me, for Christ’s sake!”

I gazed at this boy I thought loved me as much as I did him. To me, at that moment, his inheritance meant more to him than I did.

That opinion has softened over the years.

 

I stared at myself in the mirror and wondered what Jamie looked like now; we were both eight years older. My mum called up the stairs to say they were ready to go. I adjusted my tie and went down.

The funeral was Catholic and long. From where we sat in the church I couldn’t see the family, but once the service was over and the casket was moved, the family followed it out. He was there beside his mother.

My heart leapt in my chest and I had to sit on the pew. It took me a minute to get my breath back. My mother turned to hiss at me. “Stand up!”

I did, and said sheepishly: “Sorry.”

We followed the procession to the graveside and we stood toward the back. Once the casket was lowered and the grave covered temporarily, people walked away slowly.

I told my parents I’d get back home on my own when I noticed Jamie remaining at the grave. I didn’t crowd him, but waited quietly where he’d see me. He stood there for several minutes. Finally he moved and noticed me, our eyes met and his face twisted in anguish as he realized who I was.

I took two tentative steps toward him. “Jamie—”

“No … no, Eddie. I can’t … please just go away.” With a last glance he turned and ran toward the parking area.

I jogged after him, but he was still faster than I was. I slowed and stopped when I heard my father.

“Edward … son.”

Hurriedly I wiped away my tears as my dad took my arm at the elbow. “Come on, son. Leave him for now. He’s probably got so many unresolved issues to think about. We’ll see them back at the house.”

My mother hugged me and kissed my cheek before I climbed into the back seat.

I didn’t miss the subtle glance they gave each other when Dad started the car.

 

Back at the Richard’s home, I mingled and hugged and kissed and drank and ate. Finally, I went into the back garden and sat on one of the stone benches. I wished I smoked or something. The night was clear and cool. The moon in its first quarter hung bright in the sky.

“Eddie.”

I whirled around so quickly; I kinked my neck. I jumped to my feet. “Jamie!”

We just looked at each other for a second or two and then spoke at the same time.

“Jamie, I’m so sorry …”

“Me too. Damnit, it’s been so long. I’m sorry.”

Jamie looked at his feet. “Eddie, you think we can get together to talk?”

“Sure, I’m home for a week.”

“Here’s my cell. I have to go back in; call me, please?”

I entered his number. “Yes, I’ll call. We’ll talk.”

He smiled then, and touched my shoulder. “I’ll be waiting.”

I resumed my seat and took some deep breaths. My father appeared on the deck about twenty minutes later.

“You ready to go home, Edward?” He looked at me with his wonderful, kind eyes.

After getting to my feet, I dusted off my butt, and he put his arm around me. “Funerals are always hard, son.”

I nodded.

He said, “Let’s say our farewells and go home.”

“Okay, Dad.”

 

The next morning I slept in. I heard my parents go out. They had said they would be, but I didn’t recall the reason.

I pulled my suit trousers off the back of the chair and fished my phone out. I stared at it. I looked at Jamie’s name and number. I kept looking at it—my heart was pounding—I clicked on the number. I listened to it ring.

“Hello?”

“Jamie, it’s … it’s Eddie.”

“Hi … hi.”

“Is this a bad time? I can call back, you know whenever you think—”

“No. No Eddie now is perfect. Listen … will you meet me?”

“Yes, of course. Where and when?”

“Now and at Richard’s and Company?”

He wanted me to meet him at the family business? “Well, okay. I’ll get dressed and get a taxi. Be there in an hour?”

“Yes. An hour. See you there.” Jamie disconnected.

I got up and pulled off my t-shirt and boxers and stalked into the bathroom. I turned on the shower and climbed in. I stood under the hot water for a few minutes before reaching for the shampoo and the soap.

After the shower, I dressed casually in jeans and a t-shirt, stood in the kitchen, reheated a mug of coffee in the microwave, and swallowed a slice of toast. I called a taxi, pulled on my jacket and went out to wait on the front porch.

 

It was Sunday, so the office wasn’t open. Jamie was waiting outside the main doors when I pulled up. I paid the driver, and got out and walked to him. In his hands he held a cardboard tray with coffee and a couple of white bags.

“Good morning, Eddie. Thanks for coming.”

Okay, very formal. At least he didn’t say Edward.

He pushed the tray of coffee toward me. “Will you hold this, while I unlock the door?”

I accepted, walked in when he held the door for me. He pulled the door closed and I followed him into the office and a small meeting room. I put the coffee down, removed my jacket and took a chair. Jamie sat at the head of the table.

I handed him a cup of coffee and a white bag, and took one for myself. “So? Why here.”

He pulled the white plastic lid off his coffee and sipped it. “It’s mine now, Eddie.”

I nearly snorted, but didn’t. “Well, you were a good boy then, because you got your inheritance.”

Jamie’s coffee slopped onto the tabletop as he reacted to the bitterness of my words. He wiped it with a paper napkin. “I deserve that I guess.”

“Shit. No, you don’t. I’m sorry.” I looked at him over the rim of my coffee. “So, are you coming back to run it? I mean where have you been?”

“Yes, I think I will and I’ve been in British Columbia … Vancouver.” He pulled out a cinnamon roll and pulled at the pastry. “Dad sent me to school out there … after the … incident.”

I did snort this time. “Oh, is that how we’re referring to what happened that night now?”

“Eddie … “

“Jamie, what do you want?” I wanted to get on with it and go home.

He looked sad and drawn. “I wanted to say I’m sorry. If I’d have been older, I could have handled him differently ... it differently. But I wasn’t and I didn’t. But Eddie, I am sorry.”

He reached out and took my hand. “There’s been no one else. So many times I wanted to call your parents and ask how I could reach you. School was lonely, and so has life.”

Suddenly I felt heavy, felt the weight of the years and our shared loneliness. I felt tears on my cheeks. “Me too, Jamie. There was only you—but I … I thought …”

“Are you married, or …?”

“No, I’m single. I dated, but none of them were you.”

We were silent then. The room still. We looked into each other’s eyes. Jamie, always the braver of us, spoke first. “So do you think that maybe?”

I squeezed his hand, and hope fluttered in my chest like a manic butterfly. “I think we need to, Jamie. I’m tired of my life being half-empty.”

“I’m scared, Eddie. Scared that it’s too late. That I hurt you too much.”

We stood then and fell together, holding on for dear life. As I felt his body pressed solidly against mine, as I ran my hands over his strong back and felt his hands on me—I knew it wasn’t too late.

It was only just the beginning.

 

C’est fini.

Thank you to AC Benus, for his wonderful reading and editing skills.
If you haven't, read AC's work here!
I recommend Bound and Bound - the Curse and the Captives, or the Judas Tree Novellas or any in the Famous-Barr series.
Enjoy!!
Copyright © 2017 Mikiesboy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I love this story. You have spoken to me, as your voice often does. I read it swiftly, then again, savoring it. Both men can wonder if it is too late, but Eddie 'life half-empty,' is a perfect turn of phrase to make it worth the risk. Beautifully told.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Well done, tim. I'm tempted to say it was a little short hehe, but I won't. It was a sweet tale of love, sorrow, and hope. Kudos and cheers... Gary xoxo

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 09/04/2016 03:26 AM, northie said:

A wonderful read, Tim! Despite your 'fini', it feels as though it could continue. :)

It could continue, but it was a break in a longer story I'm working to finish. Maybe who knows I may go and see what they are up to.

 

Thanks northie!! Appreciate you reading this.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 09/04/2016 03:32 AM, Valkyrie said:

Very touching story, Tim. :hug: I could definitely read more. :)

I appreciate it Val. Maybe I'll see what happens to these boys, but it has to wait for the moment.

 

Thanks for reading this.

 

tim xoxo

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 09/04/2016 03:39 AM, Parker Owens said:

I love this story. You have spoken to me, as your voice often does. I read it swiftly, then again, savoring it. Both men can wonder if it is too late, but Eddie 'life half-empty,' is a perfect turn of phrase to make it worth the risk. Beautifully told.

Aw, thanks Parker. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I appreciate your comments.

 

tim xoxo

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 09/04/2016 05:01 AM, Headstall said:

Well done, tim. I'm tempted to say it was a little short hehe, but I won't. It was a sweet tale of love, sorrow, and hope. Kudos and cheers... Gary xoxo

Thanks Gary! LOL I guess I deserve that, hehe. But this was just a little break from another story I'm hoping to be finished soon, so I didn't want it to be too long.

 

Thanks so much for reading. I appreciate your support for my much shortererer chapters!

 

tim xoxo

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Loved this story...you write so well, Tim. Just one prolly unimportant thing. In the first paragraph you talk about his palette having changed. The correct spelling should be palate, which has to do with taste. The one you used is to do with an artists colours.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I'm glad they found each other again and decided to give their love a chance. I agree with Eddie's evaluation of Jamie's decision, but if he can forgive the love of his life, then we should admire him and wish them both a HEA - and a long life to make up for the eight years wasted.
I can't help imagining, almost hoping, that Jamie's father suffered for a long time, and that someone pointed out to him how God works in mysterious ways and his cancer might be divine retributrion and a way to get rid of him and his evil acts towards his son. :evil::yes: And I hope he goes straight to Hell. As for Jamie's mother and sisters they had better apologize and receive Eddie with open arms to make up for not helping their son/brother.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 09/04/2016 02:39 PM, Coastguard said:

Loved this story...you write so well, Tim. Just one prolly unimportant thing. In the first paragraph you talk about his palette having changed. The correct spelling should be palate, which has to do with taste. The one you used is to do with an artists colours.

Thank you, for stopping by! I'll fix that error once I'm near my laptop! Appreciate it! Editing on the tablet changes the formatting. Hope you're well. Haven't seen you for sometime.

tim

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 09/04/2016 06:02 PM, Timothy M. said:

I'm glad they found each other again and decided to give their love a chance. I agree with Eddie's evaluation of Jamie's decision, but if he can forgive the love of his life, then we should admire him and wish them both a HEA - and a long life to make up for the eight years wasted.

I can't help imagining, almost hoping, that Jamie's father suffered for a long time, and that someone pointed out to him how God works in mysterious ways and his cancer might be divine retributrion and a way to get rid of him and his evil acts towards his son. :evil::yes: And I hope he goes straight to Hell. As for Jamie's mother and sisters they had better apologize and receive Eddie with open arms to make up for not helping their son/brother.

They both where they belong...I'm sure they'll be happy now. I'm sure Jamie's mum and sisters will have no issues, the one helped them meet up, and his Mum wanted him home. All I'll say about dad is, he's gone now, rip. Thank for reading this Tim. I appreciate your comments!

 

tim xo

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Very well done, with heart, character and excellent sentiment. I love reading about forgiveness and how things change and yet, heart strings can still remain tied together. Lovely story!

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 09/09/2016 10:13 PM, Cole Matthews said:

Very well done, with heart, character and excellent sentiment. I love reading about forgiveness and how things change and yet, heart strings can still remain tied together. Lovely story!

Thanks very much Cole. I appreciate you taking the time to read this one, and for your insightful comments.

 

Thank you, again.

 

tim

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Hey tim
This is a really terrific story and I'm inclined to say I want to hear more about Eddie and Jamie. However, when I really think about it, what you've given your audience is just enough. The HEA can be seen on the horizon and that brings a smile to my face and warmth to my heart not to mention putting my imagination in overdrive! :D
As always, nicely done. :)

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 09/23/2016 11:07 AM, Reader1810 said:

Hey tim

This is a really terrific story and I'm inclined to say I want to hear more about Eddie and Jamie. However, when I really think about it, what you've given your audience is just enough. The HEA can be seen on the horizon and that brings a smile to my face and warmth to my heart not to mention putting my imagination in overdrive! :D

As always, nicely done. :)

Thank you, Reader. Glad you enjoyed this little story. I like stories that push me in the right direction. Don't need every single detail about their lives. People are smart enough to fill that in for themselves.

 

Thanks again!

 

tim xo

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

So very late, but finally I read this. You told a beautiful story tim. Glad these two men found their way to each other again. That there was still something worth everything is so wonderful.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 09/26/2016 09:29 AM, Defiance19 said:

So very late, but finally I read this. You told a beautiful story tim. Glad these two men found their way to each other again. That there was still something worth everything is so wonderful.

Hi Def! Thanks for reading this. Needed a break so wrote this. I was glad it turned out as it did. Kinda like stories of love lost and found.

 

Hugs, tim xoxo

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 9/3/2016 at 10:38 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Maybe who knows I may go and see what they are up to.

 

Yes, please, I'd love to read more about these two, if you're ever inspired to return. But I have to admit the story seems perfectly 'fini' to me as it is. We know they'll be happy and make up for the years they lost.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Timothy M. said:

 

Yes, please, I'd love to read more about these two, if you're ever inspired to return. But I have to admit the story seems perfectly 'fini' to me as it is. We know they'll be happy and make up for the years they lost.

You know Tim. I like looking at moments ... those moments that change people and/or their lives. That's why short stories are wonderful ... because I can try and write a snapshot of that short period.  Thanks for reading this again.. xox

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

This was fantastic. Very loving, and touching. You could feel the love they both had for each other, even after the incident and time apart.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
26 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

This was fantastic. Very loving, and touching. You could feel the love they both had for each other, even after the incident and time apart.

Thanks A, i glad you enjoyed it ..

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Being the old romantic that I am I enjoyed it, just what i needed before bed, and like others I'd love to read more of these two. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
32 minutes ago, cognac69 said:

Being the old romantic that I am I enjoyed it, just what i needed before bed, and like others I'd love to read more of these two. 

Thanks.. i hope it helps you sleep xo

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 9/22/2016 at 6:07 PM, Reader1810 said:

This is a really terrific story and I'm inclined to say I want to hear more about Eddie and Jamie. However, when I really think about it, what you've given your audience is just enough. The HEA can be seen on the horizon and that brings a smile to my face and warmth to my heart not to mention putting my imagination in overdrive! :D

I agree with Reader. This felt complete to me. Usually I’m the first one in the sequel waiting room.  ;–)

 

 

Jamie just wasn’t ready to stand up to his father. Financial considerations are often the reason why LGBTQ people remain in the Closet and battered spouses (and their kids) don’t leave. That can also be a reason why harassed employees don’t quit their jobs.

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..