Jump to content
    MrM
  • Author
  • 406 Words
  • 1,381 Views
  • 2 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Poetry of M - 8. The Mist On The Stream

This is in response to AC Beanus's Poetry Promp 8 ~ Quatrains.

On a day of my choice I ventured out

Traveling along a stream white and pure
One whose soft banks my feet have known about
Seeking to find some palliative cure
 
For something I can neither name or know
My known path becomes something alien
The forest dark air is lit by a bow
Prismatic in color it shines without sun
 
Before mine emerald eyes hangs a strange mist
Floating free above the silent streaming
Two elementals dance nude in their tryst
One of air and one of water they sing
 
To life the bow of colors with love's light
Tiny they seem to my unpracticed eyes
One winged in blue the other winged in white
Sexless and seamless in their given guise
 
I sense only vagaries in their form
The clues of which only hint at human
Set to benefit my eyes to inform
And to ease any fear or objection
 
Upon my standing in their mist amid
They awaken to my living presence
Turn they do to my aspect most timid
I fear for my life before these ancients
 
Fear only waxes as I see them grow
To shapes both tall and with matchless beauty
I shrink away from the two fearing some blow
Thinking I have defiled their sanctity
 
My terror is unfounded as I whinged
Because with touches and gentle kisses
My golden element rose as I cringed
And my eyes met theirs with smiling faces
 
Weighted in strength my element anchors
My two dancing partners floating above
While spinning free in this dance of ours
I come to understand the truest love
 
Spinning faster our ecstasies fast climb
Shimmering together our colours change
Burning we three with hot shimmers sublime
A new light is born amid our exchange
 
Redder than roses and brighter than stars
He turns in our midst and fulfills our joy
He is a new part, the sum of all ours
An elemental child this our boy
 
Flaming his laughter seeks to burst each seam
His touch reaches out in a thrilling blaze
Consuming all in the mists on the stream
Our elements gone in a glorious haze
 
Of my own fate no mere mortal can know
Of what road I took on so strange a way
The villagers say only what is so
That I was lost by the stream to the Fae
Thank you AC for the Prompt.
Copyright © 2017 MrM; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow, this poem is pretty amazing. In terms of the prompt, and what I was looking for, Bravo! You kept the metre really tight, and all the lines are formed to break in a natural place, and consequently it reads really, really smoothly.

 

You've shown here how powerful a 10-syllable line can be to tell narrative poetry, and what a great story you tell too. It's a pretty amazing coincidence, but in the chapter of my new book called "Well in the Woods," I have one character tell another all about sacred pools, and natural springs inhabited by elementals, and that's the source of the well's power. I'm also reminded of a section by Milton where he talks about two male angels flying up and having 'sex' to regenerate their forces. (If you would like to know that exact reference, let me know and I will dig it out for you.)

 

I love the image here of a child being born from sensual contact with a spirit, and I also like not knowing if the original person speaking survived the lovemaking, but somehow became the child. It would be like a rebirth situation.

 

Great poem, great response to my little challenge. Thanks!!!

Link to comment
On 04/14/2015 06:10 AM, AC Benus said:
Wow, this poem is pretty amazing. In terms of the prompt, and what I was looking for, Bravo! You kept the metre really tight, and all the lines are formed to break in a natural place, and consequently it reads really, really smoothly.

 

You've shown here how powerful a 10-syllable line can be to tell narrative poetry, and what a great story you tell too. It's a pretty amazing coincidence, but in the chapter of my new book called "Well in the Woods," I have one character tell another all about sacred pools, and natural springs inhabited by elementals, and that's the source of the well's power. I'm also reminded of a section by Milton where he talks about two male angels flying up and having 'sex' to regenerate their forces. (If you would like to know that exact reference, let me know and I will dig it out for you.)

 

I love the image here of a child being born from sensual contact with a spirit, and I also like not knowing if the original person speaking survived the lovemaking, but somehow became the child. It would be like a rebirth situation.

 

Great poem, great response to my little challenge. Thanks!!!

Your praise of my work is humbling. I thank you.

 

This is a lyrical reflection of the Three Elements that tie together. Its a distillation of a theme one might pick up in my story The Thinning Veil which I just released yesterday. This will be the third poem here related to the story.

 

I enjoyed writing in Quatrains...Me and Nostradamus! We be mates! :P

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..