Jump to content

Three Strikes

   (9 reviews)
Genres: Comedy, Romance

Donovan, a one time promising baseball star, enjoys his life and his close friends. After almost a decade of trying to forget his past, he's wrangled into joining a summer co-ed men's baseball league. That's when he meets Shane, a jerk with a great ass. They don't get off get off to a good start but will they be able to overcome their differences?

Copyright © 2018 Mrsgnomie; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (33 members)

  • Action Packed 15
  • Addictive/Pacing 28
  • Characters 33
  • Chills 8
  • Cliffhanger 14
  • Compelling 19
  • Feel-Good 17
  • Humor 18
  • Smoldering 21
  • Tearjerker 16
  • Unique 19
  • World Building 15

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Dabeagle

· Edited by Dabeagle

   9 of 9 members found this review helpful 9 / 9 members

The first thing that drew me was the title because i like baseball, but I stayed for the amazingly well drawn characters who were finely detailed with their own idiosyncrasies and a tangled web that was delightfully silly.

The author took two main characters and filled out the story with an ensemble of a supporting cast that doesn't feel like they were there just to fill a space, but as though they had purpose and a life outside the bits you read about.

Even though this is a romance at heart, and one of my favorite tropes - people who initially don't like each other but have to learn and grow over time to find out they were wrong - it is also larger than that. It's about masculinity and the wide range of things that can  be included in that term. One's self expression is always difficult to come to terms with, and some of us are never comfortable past a certain point - but some are comfortable, and this reminds us that someone can moisturize and play baseball - that they aren't mutually exclusive parts of being a human male.

I could never see myself doing what Donny does - I would never be comfortable and I can't envision pushing some of the boundaries that he revels in - but it's a great reminder that we shouldn't hinder those who find other things comfortable that we do not.

Thoroughly recommend.

  • Like 6
  • Love 10
Link to review
chris191070

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

This is a wonderful story. It features two guys Shane and Donovan who don’t get off to a great start, we follow all of there adventures to see if they can have there happy ever after.

Highly recommend as a great read.

  • Like 5
  • Love 4
Link to review
ROXMILLER

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

The thing I like most about this story is that Donovan doesn't fit your typical mold. I'm guilty of expecting characters (men in particular) to be a certain way. The author did a great job of breaking that mold and doing it very naturally. There is a lot of drama, some of which drove me nuts, but it all had its place I suppose. Regardless, five star from me.

  • Love 5
Link to review
iMarme

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

Amazing story, very well written!

  • Like 6
  • Love 2
Link to review
ReaderGuy81

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

I've read all your stories on another site and followed you over here when I heard you're exclusively posting more chapters to my favorite story. Some how this story got missed. I'm so glad I found it here. It was absolutely amazing. I went through all the emotions as Donavan and Shane figured their shit out. Being emotionally invested isn't anything new with your stories. This is no different. Can't wait to read more from you!

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to review
raven1

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

Three Strikes is a delightful story from a great GA writer, Mrsgnomie.  It is her second book, but demonstrates the powerful writing and literary strengths found in all her stories.  She deals with some tough issues intelligently and compassionately in this romance.  The sharp points she makes are soften by her sharp humor that ranges from LOL to LMFAO.  Each and every chapter is filled with a variety of emotions for and opinions about the amazing individuals who inhabit the story. Her stories are all addicting and well paced. 

Donovan is a very unique character who is very idiosyncratic (proudly flaming to be exact), as well as a hunky  ex-college star baseball player in his younger years.  He hates the bully Shane on the opposing team.  Shane is a very, very deep in the closet gay hunk. They both are competitive and surrounded by great friends.  Throw in an AARP team, a few tears, numbskulls, skullduggery, outrageous clothes and uniforms, and a bathroom full of creams and makeup to mix and you get the outrageously funny Three Strikes.  Don't forget to wear your baseball cap on backwards as you read this story.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to review
n8te

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

Read this years ago on a different site. Recently I followed the author here and decided to re-read this story. It’s such a good read. The characters remind me that you can’t judge a book by its cover. The way she writes and brings her characters to life is like no other.

Worth the read if you’re on the fence. Not bad for her second story!!! 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to review
Topnotch

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

Going through her stories again. This is one of my favorites. There's a lot of drama but the character development is off the charts. Seeing the way she writes personal growth is real and raw. 

I started out loving Donavon and being irritated with Shane but as the story progressed, things shifted. You see how both men have things that make them they way they are. They're flawed, but in the end, they work it out. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 6
Link to review
NaeNae

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

I come back to this story every few months in the years since you finished. One day I hope they all return in a story for Drew. Mariah Carey just announced Christmas season is officially here. So Santa Baby...  lol I really been an awful good girl this year. Bring Drew and alittle cheer. 🎄 🎁 

Response from the author:

Drew was just brought up by another reader lol. Who kno what the future holds!

  • Love 2
  • Haha 2
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..