Jump to content
    Naptowngirl
  • Author
  • 5,208 Words
  • 4,611 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

School Daze - 13. Chapter 13

There's light at the end of the tunnel...But is it attached to a train?

“Okay follow the light Joel.” Dr Levy instructed his patient as he examined him, shining the light in his left eye then his right. Ryan sat next to him, their fingers entwined tightly together; holding his breath as he watched the doctor’s every move. He wanted to ask questions but he didn’t want to distract him.

Janice stood behind him chewing nervously on the fingernail. Ryan called them after Joel woke up, they were there in five minutes, the hotel they were staying at was right next door to the hospital.

“So…how is he Dr. Levy?” She asked cautiously walking closer to her son’s bed, asking the question Ryan was dying to ask.

He sighed and nodded slowly, “He’s fine.” He smiled to Ryan before turning his attention to Janice.

“See mom, I’m fine.” Joel smiled looking into his mom’s concerned eyes. She smirked at him, then looked to the doctor for the real answer.

“What Joel is experiencing is normal. He was put into an induced coma to allow the swelling to go down, his brain had suffered severe trauma, and we didn’t want anything upsetting the healing process. If he had been awake this whole time, he would have been complaining of headaches.” He explained, “We gave him some medicine for the pain, we don’t want it to interfere with the TPA that we’re giving him for the Blood clot however, so he might have to suffer just a little longer, but your son will be fine. “ He assured her.

“Thank you Dr. Levy.” Janice smiled as she placed her hand on Joel’s leg tenderly.

“You’re welcome ma’am.” He nodded as he reviewed Joel’s chart. “Joel if the pain you’re feeling gets any worse, you let the nurses know okay?”

“Okay.”

“I know I said headaches are a normal process of healing, but if it gets worse that what you are experiencing right now, let us know immediately.” He stressed.

“Don’t worry Dr. I’ll keep a close eye on him, I promise you that.” Ryan said eyeing his boyfriend lovingly. Joel smiled and nodded agreeingly.

“Ryan for some reason I believe you.” He patted Ryan on the shoulder before gathering his things together. “Mrs. Masterson.” He nodded graciously as he headed toward the door.

“Where’s dad.”

“He stepped out while the doctor was examining you. He got a call from the store, something about a mix up in our shipment.” Ryan stepped aside allowing her to take his place beside Joel.

“He’ll be back.” She smiled as she caressed his cheek softly with the back of her hand. She leaned over kissing him on the forehead. “You gave us quite a scare bunny.”

“Bunny?” Ryan’s eyes widened as he mouthed the word to Joel peeking over Janice’s shoulder suppressing a hardy laugh. Joel eyed him sternly then smirked teasingly, before allowing his mother to cradle his face in the palm of her hand.

“I’ve called him bunny his whole life.” Janice said over her shoulder as she looked endearingly into her son’s eyes. “He had this little blue bunny suit he got one Christmas, he wanted to wear it day and night, he would cry when I took it off to wash it.” She laughed. “And he would cry the whole time it was washing and then sit in front of the dryer until it was done.”

“MAWH!” Joel protested covering his face with his hand to hide his reddened cheeks.

“Do you remember it?” She asked as she sat in the chair beside Joel’s bed. Ryan stepped up behind her and placed his hand on her shoulder as he listened to her talk fondly about Joel as a baby.

“Yes…yes, I remember you showing it too me. Do you still have it?” He asked quizzically.

“Of course I do, I have a box that I keep all yours and Brye’s baby stuff in. I have both your baby teeth, all your report cards from kindergarten on up, and the blue bunny suit.”

“Wow…that’s cool.” Ryan laughed.

“Ryan…” Joel eyed him seriously, “If you call me bunny in front of the guys, you’re dead, got it?” He asked with one brow raised.

“Got it bunny…I mean Joel.” Ryan giggled causing Janice to bubble forth with laughter.

“See what you’ve started mom.” Joel pouted, leaning back against his pillow, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Awww…Joel.” Ryan said teasing, “I love you though.” He said through a lopsided smile.

“Hey…” Mitch stuck his head in the door. “I’m sorry had to take that call.” He explained as he walked hurriedly over to them.

“So…how’s that head, boy?” He asked as he kissed Janice on the cheek.

“Hurts like hell.” Joel chuckled squeezing his temples together.

“I bet…I’m glad Ryan was here when you woke up. Thanks Ryan.” Mitch gave Ryan an appreciative smile.

Ryan threw his hands in the air, “There’s no need to thank me, sir, this is the only place I’d be.”

“So…” Joel adjusted his covers, “Did the doctor say when I can get out of here?”

“Hey, hold on tiger, you just came out of a coma, chill dude.” Mitch chastised his son.

“Bunny... Tiger, your parents are really into animals huh?” Ryan laughed as he sat on the windowsill crossing one leg over the other.

“Huh?” Mitch laughed with a confused expression on his face.

“Never mind.” Joel laughed. “So what about it?”

“Your father is right Joel, you shouldn’t be worrying when you can go home, you need to be worrying about getting better.” His mom said sternly, with Ryan in the background nodding in agreement.

“Okay…okay, so did we win the game against IU…please tell me we did.” Joel asked looking around the room at all their somber faces. Ryan raised his eyebrows and found something interesting on the ceiling to divert his attention, while Janice cleared her throat playing with the back of her earring, and Mitch just shoved his hands in the pocket of his knee length khaki shorts.

The room was silent, the air thick enough to cut with a knife. Joel ran his tongue over his top lip slowly as he eyed each one individually. He sighed pressing his lips together. “Okay how bad was it?” He inquired.

“Ahem... Um… they stopped the game.” Mitch answered in a low tone

“What!?” Joel asked frantically trying to sit up but the pain in his head prevented him from doing so…”Ouch.” He grabbed the side of his head.

“Joel!” Janice and Ryan said in unison, both scurrying to his side.

“Don’t do that.” Ryan scolded as he helped Joel lean back against his pillow. Janice poured him some water and handed the cup to Ryan. “Here…Joel you have to relax okay.” He said with pleading in his tone, as he exhaled heavily combing his fingers through his hair.

“I’m sorry.” Joel said faintly reaching for Ryan’s hand. He could see the look of fear in his eyes. He took Ryan’s hand into his and squeezed it gently, gazing lovingly into his eyes. “I’m okay Ryan.” He smiled warmly. Janice and Mitch smiled as he wrapped his arms around his wife’s shoulder witnessing the display of affection between the boys; it was as if they were the only two in the room.

Ryan lowered his head, bringing it closer to Joel’s, their mouths almost touching; when he pulled back abruptly remembering they were not alone. He looked toward Janice and Mitch who quickly turned their heads.

“You better kiss me.” Joel demanded jokingly tilting his face upward.

“Oh yeah…don’t mind us.” Mitch laughed.

“Nope, don’t mind us.” Janice giggled.

Ryan sighed bashfully and gently placed his lip on Joel’s. He lingered there longer than he intended, for what started out a simple peck on the lips turned into one of hope, desire, passion, and love.

Ryan pulled back breathlessly as he traced Joel’s lips with the pad of his finger getting lost in those hypnotizing blue eyes.

“Um…did you guys want something from the cafeteria, I’m feeling a little hungry.” He said breaking Joel’s spell.

“Hell, me too, I’m starving, I want a big fat greasy cheese burger and French fries loaded with ketchup. “

“Ewww….didn’t I teach you anything son.” Janice cringed with a look of disgust on her face.

Ryan laughed, “I’ll see if that’s on your diet.” He laughed over exaggerating a winked, “Mitch?”

“Green tea, if they have it.”

“Hey, I’ll go with you, maybe I can prevent a disaster waiting to happen.” Jan smiled placing her hand on Ryan’s shoulder.

Mitch smiled shaking his head, if he knew his wife… and he did that meant the cheeseburger would turn into tuna on whole wheat.

Mitch and Joel watched Ryan and Janice walk out the room gently closing the door behind them.

“I’m not going to get my cheeseburger am I?” Joel frowned.

“I’m afraid not son.” Mitch laughed giving Joel two pats on the thigh. “So how do you really feel son?”

“I feel fine, I mean besides the headaches, but the doctor said that’s normal.” Joel shrugged.

His dad took in a huge breath of air, “You know you were hit pretty hard out that there.” He bobbed his head, “You scared us this time.”

“I know…” Joel said faintly. “I don’t know who is worse mom or Ryan.” He chuckled running his hand down his chin.

“I’d say Ryan is running a close second.”

“Yeah…” They both laughed.

“He’s a very special young man Joel, you should take care of him, he really cares about you.”

“I know.” Joel said fondly.

“He’s been by your side the whole time you’ve been here, he’s helped your mom and me out a great deal.”

“Okay dad, where is this going?” Joel questioned.

“I’m saying he really cares about you…about you, not Joel Masterson the athlete, but Joel the man.” Mitch looked into his son’s eyes and he wanted to tell him, he wanted to tell him his career as a football player was over and that none of that seemed to matter to Ryan, but he couldn’t find the words. At that very moment, Ryan was his only comfort.

“Dad…” Joel placed his hand over his father’s, “I’m not going to blow this, I know I’ve said I wasn’t ready to be with just one guy, not ready to settle down, Ryan is different, you know?”

Mitch nodded slowly, “I know son, just remember listen to him, he has your best interest at heart no matter what he says.”

“Wow you really like him.” Joel smiled, still somewhat confused.

“I…”

Brye interrupted his statement when he entered the room. “Hey big bro, aren’t your eyes a sight for my sore ones.” Brye laughed as he jogged over to Joel’s bed. “Come on, give me some love.” He patted his chest as he leaned over to hug his brother. They held each other tightly for a moment. Brye pulled back, “Man, am I glad to see you.”

Joel laughed, “Yeah that’s what I’m hearing it was like you guys were ready to read me my last rites or something.” Joel teased.

“Don’t play like that.” Brye eyed him with a stern shake of his finger. “Hey dad, where the warden, I mean mom, out patrolling I take it.” He laughed slowly looking around the room. “Where’s Ryan?”

“He’s with the warden.” Both Mitch and Joel laughed.

“Poor boy.” Brye said sitting on the Joel’s bed. “So….” He slapped Joel’s leg, “How you feeling?”

“I’m good, except for these headaches the doctor said its to be expected, but damn I feel like I’ve gain ten pounds, I need to get back on the field throw the ball around, run, you know?”

Brye looked to his dad and shook his head slowly, making eye contact with his father, he knew they had not told Joel the news.

Joel noticed the silence, “What?” He asked with a smile.

“Um…nothing, yeah I’ll get out there with you and throw the ball that is when the doctors say its okay.

“Cool….” Joel smiled. “So how’s Olivia?”

“She’s good, she will be on her way over after work, she sends her love though.”

“Tell her to stop and bring me a cheese-“

“I’m going to get some air.” Mitch interrupted standing to his feet; he glanced sadly at his sons before quickly heading toward the door.

“You okay dad?” Joel asked with concern. Both he and Brye watched their father walk out the door without answering Joel’s question.

“Is he okay?” Joel asked again.

“Yeah….” Byre nodded staring at the door. “He’s just tired.” He hated lying to his brother, but they had agreed to wait until he was strong enough to handle the news. He also knew this was killing his dad to watch Joel oblivious to what was going on around him. Brye watched his brother pick up the remote control and surf the channels for a sports network any sports channel, and he wasn’t sure what would hurt his brother more, finding out that he could never play football again, or finding out that everyone including Ryan knew, but no one told him.

~*~*~*~A few days later.

The sound of Marvin Gaye’s ‘Got to Give It Up,’ was blaring through Tank’s IPod home that he brought to the hospital for this occasion. It was Friday night, there was always a party on campus every night of the week, but Fridays were the big ones. The party this Friday was an intimate group of friends, Tank, Emmett, Jaxson, Colin, Brye, Olivia, Shuree and a girlfriend of hers name Erica, Ryan and the guest of honor tonight was Joel.

Shuree, Olivia, and Erica were dancing, sharing Brye and Jaxson between the three of them. They had formed a mini ‘soul train line’, and Jaxson was dancing his way down doing the running man, being silly and just having fun, while Joel and Tank were partners, playing spades against Collin and Emmett.

The nurse on duty knew she was breaking the rules, but she said if they promised to keep it quiet, and not disturb the other patients and wear out her patient they could stay until visiting hours ended.

Ryan stood in the corner nursing the organic hummus and chips Janice brought. On the small serving table was the hummus and chips, regular chip and dip, Olivia brought a small serving tray of mixed veggies and the guys all chipped in for a hundred piece order of buffalo wings with ranch and blue cheese dressing on the side and plenty of soda for everyone, they omitted the liquor since Joel couldn’t drink.

Mmmm…” Ryan hummed as he bit into the chip cover with the chickpea dip. He danced to the music as he watched his roommate and friends dance. He made sure he kept his eye on his most prized possession…Joel.

A smile attacked his lips as he watch his boyfriend laughing and talking trash to Colin and Emmett as he slapped the ace of spade down on extra serving table the nurse had brought in. Tank gave him a high five as he scooped up the book. Joel was in his element, in his zone. He had good friends and Ryan really appreciated that.

“Hey Ryan, get you fine ass over here, I need my good luck charm.” Joel laughed motioning for Ryan to climb in bed next to him. Ryan shoved the chip into his mouth eagerly. He wiped his hands down his jeans to remove the excess salt, and was heading over.

“Yeah man, it’s a tight game we need all the help we can get, oh and hey grab me a few wings on your way over.” Tank laughed showing off that cute dimple in his left cheek as he shuffled he cards.

“Wings, coming right up.” Ryan chuckled as he made a u-turn back to the table.

“Hell yeah, they need luck.” Emmett said briskly rubbing his hands together, “We’re about to tap that ass.” He teased, giving Colin a double high-five.

“How in the hell you figure that, you’re losing.” Joel reminded them.

“Ten for two baby.” Colin laughed, “We're going blind six…that’s one twenty, count em.”

“Joel, put us down for a blind six too man.” Tank winked before he started dealing out the cards.

“Here…” Ryan sat the small plate of hot wings next to Tank before climbing in the bed next to Joel. He licked the sauce off his finger and just as he was about to lick the other one Joel grabbed his hand placing the finger still covered with sauce into his own mouth licking it suggestively, then smiled with a slow sexy nod.

Ryan blushed as he snuggled closer to his boyfriend. “What do you think?” Joel asked holding the cards in his hand pointing to one of the cards.

“Um-hum.” Ryan smiled.

“Hey…hey, no talking across the board.” Emmett protested.

Joel laughed, “Well…let’s see. Ryan is sitting here right beside me…on the same side.” Joel motioned between him and Ryan, “So technically we are not talking across the board, besides he’s not even playing.”

“Shit…whatever man…” Emmett retorted, waving his hand dismissively, “Just deal the damn cards Tank." He said rolling his eyes at Joel with a playful shake of the head.

The song playing next on the I-home was Michael Jackson’s ‘Lady in My Life’. Erica and Jaxson were slow dancing while Olivia, Brye and Shuree were inhaling the wings and Veggies.

Brye and Olivia's them song...Lady in My Life.

“My I have this dance?” Brye asked wiping his hands off with a napkin before bowing gracefully to his girlfriend.

“Sure…” Olivia nodded sweetly. They stepped out onto their make shift dance floor and Brye placed his arms around Olivia’s small waist and she draped her arms around his neck, lacing her fingers through his long curly hair that kissed the collar of his shirt as they swayed slowly to the music together.

“Hum…” Olivia smiled softly biting her lower lip.

“Hum…what?” Brye pulled back looking into Olivia’s emerald green eyes as he played in her hair.

“Nothing…” She sighed softly. “I was just wondering if I told you how adorable you were.”

“Hum…let’s see.” Brye eyed the ceiling nodding his head from side to side. “I can’t remember the last time you told me.” He teased giving her a quick peck on the mouth.

“You’re adorkable.” She giggled before resting her head against is chest. “I love this song.”

As they danced together, Brye looked across the room at Joel deferentially and sighed heavily.

“Joel looks so happy doesn’t he?”

Olivia raised her head and glanced toward Joel and his friends. “Yeah, he has great friends, I mean look at this.” She motioned around the room, “I have been to lots of parties, but, I have to say this is a first.” She admitted approvingly. “He has a wonderful boyfriend, and brother, loving parents what more could he ask for?”

“To play football again.”

“Well he’s taking the news pretty well, if you ask me.”

“He doesn’t know.” Brye admitted sadly.

“What!” Olivia looked around the room quickly covering her mouth with her hand to hush herself. She lowered her head and her voice and whispered, “You mean no one has told him?” She questioned in disbelief. “Why?”

“Well my parents are not sure he can handle the traumatic news right now.”

“And what do you think?” She tilted her head slightly awaiting his answer.

Brye sighed, “I’m not sure, I mean I feel he has a right to know.” He shrugged as they continued to dance.

“You know Brye; the new is going to be traumatic no matter when he hears it.” She said hesitantly.

“What does Ryan think?” She smiled sadly to Ryan who was snuggled in Joel’s arm.

“He wants what’s best for Joel…One thing I do know, is Joel is about honesty, and he is going to be upset with all of us when he finds out we knew and was all in his face.”

“Then you should tell him, He’ll understand.” Olivia encouraged lovingly. She didn’t want to push, and she realized this was hard on Brye, she was just happy she could be there for him and his family.

He kissed her gently on the forehead. “I will when the time is right.”

Olivia placed her hand to his face caressing it gently, “You know your brother better than anyone and you’ll do what’s right.” She kissed him on the cheek.

The sounds of the horns at the introduction of Michael Jackson’s Thriller startled them causing them both to laugh nervously.

“Break it up you two.” Jaxson laughed, as he, Shuree and Erica laughed dancing beside them.

“HA…IN YOUR FACE!” Tank yelled from across the room as he slapped the big joker down winning the last book, setting Colin and Emmett. “Hell yeah we win!” Tank stood up giving Joel a double high five, then ducked his head quickly and covered his mouth as they heard the door open, fearing it was the nurse, Brye hurried to turn down the music. Everyone stood still watching as Jace entered the room.

Awww…” Everyone gave a sigh of relief.

“Shit man you scared us.” Colin said.

All eyes were on him. He shoved one hand in his pant pocket and ran the other through his hair as he glanced around the room.

“Here comes trouble.” Brye whispered in Olivia’s ear, causing a look of confused to appear on her face.

“What’s he doing here?” Tank asked disapprovingly.

“I said it was okay.” Ryan answered looking at Joel for approval.

“It’s okay.” He patted Ryan on the shoulder.

“Hey Jace, what’s up man?”

“Hey Joel, I just came by to see how you were doing, I didn’t mean to stop the party.” He smiled as he walked over to the bed.

“Ryan?” He gave a short nod.

“Jace.”

“What’s up Melvin, Colin?” He eyed each one cautiously. He knew he wasn’t a fan of Tanks, but he didn’t know about the rest of Joel crew, but Tank, he made it clear his dislike for him.

“I’m gonna get something to eat.” Tank said, his voice laced with venom, getting up, he eyed Jace bumping him on the shoulder as he walked pass not bothering to say excuse me.

Jace laughed humorlessly, as Joel smiled uncomfortably tightening his grip around Ryan.

“Um…thanks for stopping by.”

“No worries, I’ve been by several times but you were still out.”

“Oh…” Joel looked at Ryan, his brows furrowed.

“Yeah he came by once while you were in a coma.” Ryan informed him.

“I wanted to come by more but I didn’t feel welcomed, I know how your friends feel about me.”

“I think I’ll grab something to eat too.” Colin nodded toward the food, feeling a little uncomfortable sitting in the mist of them.

Ryan sighed and shook his head. They continued making small talk as Brye and the others congregated around the food.

“Who invited him?” Brye asked looking over Jaxson’s shoulder to the three trying to play nice.

“Ryan.” Tank answered with irritation in his voice.

“You don’t like him?” Olivia questioned curiously.

“Are you kidding?" Shuree chimed in, "Tank and Jace almost come to blows every time they are in a room together.”

“You mean Jace almost gets his ass kicked every time.” Emmett corrected her has he took a bite of celery.

“Yeah that’s more like it. If it wasn’t for Joel stepping in.” Colin agreed.

“Why?” Olivia whispered.

“Crazy shit.” Tank answered, “He’d show up at places where he knew Joel was going to be. One time he claimed he was jumped, to get Joel’s attention if you ask me.” He added.

“Wasn’t that the time Joel told him he didn’t want to see him anymore?” Jaxson asked scooping humus onto his chip.

“Yeah man, bull shit… just like I said. And one day he stepped to me all cocky saying, “I was trying to break him and Joel up”…I was like, what the funk… you ain’t together.” Tank huffed through a snarl.

The nurse opened the door and smiled, “Okay kids party’s over.”

Everyone objected, voicing his or her disapproval until she placed her hand on her hip tapping her foot to the floor. “Visiting hours is over at ten, its ten thirty, and my patient needs his rest. So you hooligans gather your things together, kiss Joel goodbye and come back tomorrow.” She smiled, “Oh and leave me some of those wings, they smell delicious.”

“Sure thing.” Ryan said getting off the bed eyeing everyone trying to hurry them along. Tank gathered his IPod home carefully wrapping the cord around it, as the girls packed up the food, leaving nurse Luann some of course. Jaxson, Colin, and Emmett helped store everything in the proper bags.

“Joel…” Jace looked around for Ryan making sure he was out earshot. “I’m really sorry this happened, but will you call me when you get out?”

“For what?” Joel questioned.

“I want to take care of you; you’re going to need to take it easy when you get home.” He said placing his hand on top of Joel’s.

“Um…” Joel slipped his hand from under Jace’s, “I’ll be fine, thanks though.”

“Oh… you mean Ryan?” He said rubbing the back of his neck feeling disheartened.

“Yeah…I mean Ryan, Jace we’ve had this talk before remember?”

“Yeah…yeah, we’ve had this talk on more than one occasion.” He licked his lips seductively. “As I recall, it’s always after you meet someone new.”

“Jace…” Joel said annoyed.

“Okay…Okay” Jace held his hands up in defense. “But just for the record, I’m gonna always be here for you.”

“Is everything okay over here?” Ryan asked looking sternly at Jace then softening his gaze as he looked to Joel.

“Yeah…everything’s fine, Jace was just saying goodbye, right Jace?” Joel asked with his brow raised.

Um…yes. I was just leaving.” He stared at Joel disappointedly. He was about to speak when his phone vibrated in his pocket. He pulled it out recognizing the number. “I’ve got to take this…See you around Ryan. And Joel I’ll be expecting that call.” He said as he hurried out the room.

“What call?” Ryan questioned crossing his arms over his chest defiantly.

“Nothing. He, Um…”

“Hey guys we’re out.” Jaxson interrupted, holding a tray and a couple of empty bowls under his arm.

“Okay…” Joel smiled then looked back to Ryan who was clearly upset and still waiting for an answer.

“Yeah, man it’s been real.” Tank grabbing Joel’s hand giving it a hard firm shake.

“See yea tomorrow Joel.” Colin and Emmett waved.

“Yo man I’m going to walk Olivia out and I’ll be back, I packed some extra wings in here.” He nodded to the covered plate. “Luann will let me back in.” He looked over his shoulder for his girlfriend, then whispered, “I think she likes me.” He chuckled into his fist.

“Oh I’m sure she likes you, whats not to like.” Olivia laughed sneaking up behind her boyfriend. He jumped when she placed hand on his shoulder.

“Oh hey Olivia.”

Umhumm...” She eyed him pretending to be upset. She broke character and giggled kissing him on his cheek. “Anyway…” She turned her attention to Joel. “It was wonderful seeing you.” He hugged him around the before kissing him on the cheek. What do you want me to bring you tomorrow?”

“Tacos…” Joel laughed.

“I can do tacos, just call me when your mom leaves and we’ll have junk food together.” She winked.

Shuree and Erica hugged Joel kissing him goodbye as well.

“Come on babe.” Brye said wrapping his free arm around Olivia’s waist, “I’ll walk you out."

“How about you stay and talk to your brother and I’ll walk out with everyone else.” She nodded biting her lip giving Brye a slight wink.

“I’ll walk you out.” Ryan offered. I want to grab something out of my car.”

“Oh…okay.” Brye walked over. He ran his hand up the back of Olivia’s head and pulled their faces together kissing her deeply.” Call me to let me know you made it home okay.”

“I will.” She pressed her lips together tightly staring longingly into his blue eyes thinking to herself Brye was becoming harder to resist, she could wait, couldn’t she?”

“I’ll be right back Joel.” Ryan called over his shoulder picking up his keys. “We’re not finished.” He eyed him as he motioned Olivia and the others out the door.

Joel smiled nervously as he watched them leave.

“What was that about?” Brye asked inquisitively as he sat down in the chair next to Joel.

“Nothing just Jace being Jace.” He sighed.

“Damn, that boy is like a bad penny, he just won’t go away.” He laughed.

“Yeah, but enough about him,” Joel said wanting to change the subject. “Thanks for putting this together.” He thanked his brother referring to the party.

“Anything for you, you know that.”

“Anything…really?” Joel asked.

“Yeah…of course. You’re my brother and I love you man."

Joel inhaled deeply, placing his hands up to his lips. He closed his eyes tightly and breathed again rubbing his finger under his chin thoughtfully. “Then tell me the truth.”

“Huh?” Brye’s eyes widened with shock.

“Tell me what Ryan, mom and dad won’t.”

~*~*~Meanwhile

“Hey guys I have to use the ladies room.”

“Me too.” Shuree and Erica agreed.

“Will you guys drop this off at the nurse’s station for Luann?” Ryan asked handing the plate of food to Colin. “ I’ll wait on for the girls.”

“Sure…”

Ryan waited outside the restroom. He blew out a tired breath of air resting his head back against the wall, shoving his hands into the pocket of his jeans.

He lifted his head slowly when he though he heard a familiar voice around the corner. He listened intently when he heard Joel’s name.

“What the Fuck, man I said hurt him, not end his fucking career!” He spat to the person on the other end of the phone. Ryan listened his mouth agape as he covered it trying not to gasp.

“Yeah…yeah you dumb ass, Joel can't play football ever again.” He yelled into the phone. He listened to the person on the other end of the receiver.

“Hell no, I’m not going to say anything are you a fucking moron?”

Ryan’s hands trembled as he listened to Jace’s confession.

“Oh.My.God….” Ryan chanted silently as he tried to prevent the bile trying to erupt as his stomach muscles tightened and he started to hyperventilate. He tried to silence himself pressing his hands tightly against his mouth as he listened closely.

“Yeah, well I guess you know I’m, not freaking paying you for this, and you better keep your mouth shut or you’re dead, you hear me. Oh and don’t call me… again lose my number.” Jace snapped the phone shut. He breathed heavily looking down trying to steady his shaking hand.

“My god Jace, what have you done?” Ryan stepped around the corner catching Jace by surprise. He stood motionless locking eyes with him, and if looks could kill Jace would have died right on the spot.

TBC...
Copyright © 2011 Naptowngirl; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Angry 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This is so good I keep forgetting to vote! You are really not holding anything back with Jace's character, are you?

Link to comment
On 08/14/2011 11:58 AM, charlieocho said:
This is so good I keep forgetting to vote! You are really not holding anything back with Jace's character, are you?
Regarding Jace, Enquiring minds want to know eh? lol Thanks for reading School Daze, I'm glad you are enjoying it...oh and votes are good...don't forget. hahaha ;)
Link to comment

I really really enjoy your writing and your story lines, but I want to strongly recommend you get an editor. There are numerous errors. At least for me while distracting, I'm figuring out what you mean and get by the, but a good editor or two to check spellings, words and grammar would really improve the quality.

Link to comment
On 10/13/2011 02:35 PM, Bill Christiansen said:
I really really enjoy your writing and your story lines, but I want to strongly recommend you get an editor. There are numerous errors. At least for me while distracting, I'm figuring out what you mean and get by the, but a good editor or two to check spellings, words and grammar would really improve the quality.
Thank you Mr. Christiansen for your review. I totally get what you are saying. This is one of my favorites stories so I think I'll take your advice and search out an editor and have it revamped. it's like besides that Mrs. Lincoln how did you enjoy the play....lol glad you enjoyed it in spite of...and again thanks for taking the time to post a review.

 

Kim :)

Link to comment

It's time for Ruan to give Jace a reason to need medical help, or to need a lawyer.

 

The story is really going well. Keep up the good work.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..