Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 3,836 Words
  • 1,222 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

City Under the Waves - 12. Chapter 12

Celyn couldn’t bear it: he felt that he was intruding on something intensely private and so he got to his feet and looked towards the doorway where the two children still stood, watching. With a great effort he smiled.

 

“Hello. You are free now. You can come out. We won’t hurt you.”

 

At the sound of his voice the two children stepped into the light. The boy looked to be about ten years old, the girl three or four years older. He froze at the sight of them. They were so familiar and yet so strange. The girl lost interest in him very quickly and turned her head to look at Mererid where she remained on her knees weeping, her head bowed over her brother. Uncertain she laid a hand on Mererid’s shoulder.

 

The boy, however, could not tear his eyes away and almost seemed to glide across the floor, drawn inexorably towards Celyn where he stood in wide eyed wonder, waiting. When they were a pace apart the boy looked up. His eyes were cat green; exactly the same shade as those he looked into. The silver hair was shorter, more severely styled but the same in essence; the eyes, the features, the pale translucent skin were all more juvenile but essentially the same.

 

In wonder, the boy reached out and touched Celyn’s arm. In a dream, Celyn looked down and was half wondrous and half horrified to see the hand, where it lay on his arm was becoming indistinct, fading away. Raising his eyes again to those of the boy he was shocked to see the whole of him fading, like a ghost. At first he panicked but there was a look of such joy on the other’s face that he could not believe this was a bad thing.

 

There was a strange feeling within him as though a wind was blowing through him even though, on the outside there was not a breath of air. Something deep inside him was whispering and he shivered deeply, closing his eyes. The sense of movement within continued and increased until he felt that he was the centre of a whirlwind and then suddenly it was gone. Caught off guard he staggered and almost fell before realising that something fundamental had changed.


Still with his eyes closed he stood and thought about it. There was a part of him that had always been strangely empty, as though he were a jigsaw puzzle with a part missing. Even though part of that space had been filled when he met Marc there was another, different void at the centre of his being that he hardly recognised as it had been there so long; as achingly lost and lonely as the emptiness within his soul that Marc had filled. And now the empty space was gone. For the first time he was wholly completed and suffused with a strength and certainty that he had never experienced before.

 

Opening his eyes he looked around at a world that was suddenly more substantial, more vibrant and more secure that it had ever been before. He looked at Gwyon, wonder brimming from his eyes. Gwyon smiled encouragingly.


“You are free now.”

 

“Yes, that’s exactly it: I am. I am free now.”

 

Touched by the joy in his voice Alarch and even Mererid looked up. Mererid was shocked by the change in him. He seemed taller, broader, more… present. There was no shyness in his look, no stoop in his shoulder. He was somehow… more real.

 

“Meri; this is what you have to do. Free her: free yourself.”

 

Hesitantly, reluctantly Mererid stood, still unable to tear her eyes away from Marc. Gently Alarch touched her shoulder and she turned to stare into the oh so familiar eyes. Nothing happened. Gradually the encouragement and hope in the eyes, which were so very like her own, died.

 

“Why is it not working? Why am I not to be freed too?” Although clearly trying to be brave, the girl’s lip trembled. Pushing past Meri she ran to Gwyon, the only truly familiar figure there and threw her arms around him. “Why am I not to be free Gwyon? Have I not been true, I have been patient too.”

 

“Hush child, there is a reason for everything.” He looked over her head at Meri, who frowned.


“I didn’t know that this was supposed to happen. If it is then something has gone horribly wrong, because…”

 

A silvery laugh cut the air like a knife and another figure stepped out from the crystal room. She was truly beautiful here, in her element; in the heart of her power. Burning like a golden flame, her raven black hair falling long and straight over her shoulders, she smiled. Meri squared to her, anger snapping in her eyes.

 

“I will kill you; you bitch, for what you did to him. I swear I will kill you.”


“Kill me? You could not, no matter how much you wish it; I am too strong for you. And besides, you do not wish it, do you. After all, you have no idea what is waiting for you on the shore. If you were to destroy me then you destroy any chance you may ever have had of seeing your brother alive again.”


“So there is a chance? He is not dead there?”

 

“I would be a fool to answer that question. All I can say is that it would be such a shame if you snuffed out what chance he might have.” Keeping her eyes on Mererid she stooped beside Marc and allowed here eyes to flick to him. A strange smile touched her lips, almost regretful. “He has such pretty eyes. Like mine but… softer.” Her voice turned almost tender as she reached out and gently closed them. “It would be such a shame; such a terrible shame. He should not have fought me so hard. I did not know how strong he was. I could have loved him.”

 

Something in her words began to flick switches in Mererid’s stunned mind. The fact that she was touching Marc and nothing happened; had touched him before, many times. The fact that she was feeling more than brotherly love for him, someone who was in essence no more than a part of herself. Or was he? She had assumed that was how it went. Aerfen clearly believed it and yet… and yet… Marc was so dark, so like her. But raven hair, dark eyes and a restless, bold spirit didn’t necessarily mean he was the dark one. Just as fair hair, lighter eyes and an outwardly sunny and innocent disposition did not necessarily mean that she had the lighter spirit.

 

With a startling certainty growing within her she leaped across Marc’s body, catching Aerfen unawares so that she barely had time to stand up and no time at all to protect herself. But Mererid was not attacking her. All she had to do was touch her.

 

The last she saw of Aerfen was wide startled eyes, realising that, for the first time in centuries she’d got things completely and badly wrong, then she faded, her outline becoming at first bleached of colour, then indistinct as a ghost until at last she was no longer there at all.

 

As Celyn had before her, Mererid stood for a time with her eyes closed, coming to terms with what had happened and what it meant for her. When she opened her eyes they were filled with purpose.

 

“Quickly, Alarch; you must touch him. This must be completed quickly: I must get back before it is too late.”

 

Alarch hung back; her face showing doubt and horror.

 

“Don’t be afraid. It will be alright, but you must hurry. Trust me.”

 

“Trust you? How can I trust you? After what you did...”

 

“No; not me, Alarch, not me. It was Aerfen who did those things and she’s not here now. She is not me; and I am not her; although, now I know what to look for I can see parts of her in me… they are the parts that make me strong. I also have some of her knowledge, at least her recent knowledge. I know what she did to him and I know how to undo it, if I can get to him in time. But this must be completed first. He must be complete.”

 

“But he is… will it mean that I…?”

 

“That, I don’t know. Maybe he will take life away from you; maybe you will give it to him. I don’t know. I can’t make you any promises other than that if you do this then I can bring the cycle to its end. You will be truly free, forever; in this life or the next I can’t say.”

 

“I… I am afraid.”

 

“We have all been afraid, Alarch; terribly afraid. I’m still afraid.”

 

Alarch looked up at Gwyon for support and he smiled a soft, regretful smile and shook his head. “I cannot make this choice for you, little one. I am no more certain of the outcome than she is. But remember this: there was a time, before her heart turned cold, when you were close with your sister; as close as any sisters could be. In this place and time… you still are.”

 

Hesitantly Alarch walked across the space and knelt down. She looked up at Gwyon who smiled and nodded to her. Then she looked at Celyn who smiled back with steady eyes and at Mererid who was only able to glance at her before looking away; afraid that the raw desperation in her eyes should frighten her. Finally she looked down at Marc; for a long time searching his face, looking for something that she must have found it because she reached out her hand and touched his shoulder.

 

In a now familiar process, Alarch grew indistinct and faded. When she was gone there was a sound like a bell and a cold wind howled briefly across the room and was gone.

 

For a moment they were all frozen, staring at Marc; watching , waiting, hoping. There was nothing. Mererid sagged as hope died. She fell to her knees and bent her head in silent tears. Taking his hand in hers she lifted it to her lips. “I’m sorry Marc, I was too late. I didn’t understand. I should have understood. It is all so clear now. I have to go back. I don’t want to leave you here. I don’t want you to be alone in this place, but I have to get back or I might lose you altogether and I couldn’t bear that, not now.”

 

The fingers twitched against her cheek and it was then that she realised that they were warm.

 

“Marc?!”

 

Reaching out with her hand and her heart she touched his face and his eyelids flickered. For a long moment he stared up at her saying nothing. There was something in his eyes that frightened her, until, gradually she began to understand

 

“I made a mistake. I was so sure; but I was wrong. I should have known, If I had it could have ended a long time ago.”

 

“I made the same mistake.”

 

“Is it too late?”

 

“Possibly. It is ending. See.” He raised his hand and it was fading.


“What does it mean?”

 

“It means it will soon be over and you must hurry back. Do you know what to do?”

 

“I think so.”

 

“You will be too late Meri, but don’t let that stop you. This place and that place are echoes, mirrors, of each other. Hurry.”

 

But she couldn’t move. She was frozen as Marc’s eyes flicked past her and were filled with a different light. She looked up and caught Celyn’s eyes which were enormous in an ashen face. Slowly he knelt beside her and leaned over Marc. Slowly and carefully Marc reached up and touched his cheek. Celyn barely felt the touch and the insubstantiality of it frightened him. Marc’s lips trembled and curved into a beautiful smile and Celyn’s heart ached that he might never see it again. Laying his hand over Marc’s he leaned further until their lips touched. It was a brief kiss but the sweetest he had ever had. It ended when the lips he was touching faded into nothing and there was nothing left but a sigh.

 

Shocked Celyn straightened, his eyes staring at the place where Marc had been.

 

“What happened?”

 

“He has ended.”

 

“You mean he’s dead? Here and there?”

 

“Almost. We must hurry. When we get to the other side we must run as fast as we can and when we get to the hospital I MUST be alone with him… no matter what it takes. There must be none of them near us.”

 

“Fear not, little lady, I shall ensure it is as you wish.”

 

“I will do whatever it takes. I would give my life for him.”

 

Smiling somewhat grimly Meri reached out and squeezed his hand. “You must both touch me. I can get us straight back but you must be touching me.” Still holding Celyn’s hand in one of hers, Meri took Gwyon’s with the other. Drawing on strengths and abilities she had not previously been aware she possessed, she called up the power. A clear musical note sang out and all of the crystal around them vibrated.

 

As the note rose the crystal vibrated more and more until with a deafeningly silent explosion it shattered and they were showered with shards of crystal which tinkled as they fell like rain all around, evaporating into the air before they touched either a body or the ground.

 

They had all closed their eyes instinctively as the crystal exploded. When they opened them they were standing on the bank of the lake and the island had gone. Meri hit the ground running and the others had little time to stand and wonder as they raced after her

 

It took less than five minutes to get to the hospital and, when they did, Meri led the way through the corridors unerringly.

 

As they walked down the last corridor, having been warned about running by a stern faced doctor moments before, they passed an open door. Glancing inside Meri saw the female doctor who had spoken to them the night before and, beyond, her mother and grandmother. They were clinging together; sobbing inconsolably. For a moment her heart turned to stone but she steeled herself and moved on. Seeing her, her mother called out but she ignored her.

 

When she was standing outside the door of Marc’s room Mererid balked. She paused with her hand on the handle and could not move forward. What if she was wrong? What if it didn’t work? What if she was too late?

 

A hand on her shoulder startled her. It was Celyn. Gwyon had dropped back and was talking earnestly to the doctor and Mererid’s family, delaying them, but her mother was already trying to edge around him.


“I’m with you Meri. It’s okay; I’m here.”

 

“Thank you; watch the door.” Taking a deep breath she pushed the door open and walked in. Celyn followed her and stood with his back to the door preventing it from being opened from the outside.

 

The room was unnervingly quiet without the sound of the monitors beeping. John was sitting on the bench at the side of the bed. His face was grey; he looked exhausted, years older. He jumped to his feet when Meri entered.

 

“Sweetheart… Meri; I’m so sorry. I’m sorry you weren’t here.”

 

She flicked him a distant smile, taking her eyes off Marc only very briefly. “It’s alright. I’m here now and it’s going to be alright. You know where I’ve been; heard what I said, now trust me. Help me.”

 

At first when Mererid began to remove the electrodes that attached her brother to the hospital machines, her grandfather was horrified and put his hand over hers.

 

“Meri, I really don’t think…” When she raised her eyes to his he recoiled and took a step back.

“This is not a matter for medicine, grandfather, it is a matter for magic. It is a time for water and ice not metal and fire. There is time but not much; help me; guard the door and let Celyn come to me.”

 

Suspiciously, John looked up at Celyn and narrowed his eyes. “Why...?”

 

“Trust us, Grandad. Much has happened and I beg to you to understand and accept. Celyn loves him; perhaps more than you and I together. He will not hurt him. He would tear off his own arm before he put his life in danger.”

 

John’s eyes widened. “What are you saying?”

 

“I’m saying that if you trust us we can save him.”

 

For a moment he stared and then, grimly, he nodded and replaced Celyn as the guard at the door. Released, Celyn hurried across the room and helped her remove the rest of the wires. Someone tried the door and, when they realised they could not open it they began to hammer and push harder.

 

“Hurry Meri, I can’t hold them for long.”

 

Seemingly unaware of anyone else in the room and, certainly not of the words her grandfather had spoken Meri laid her hands gently on Marc’s chest. It was cold and the chill seemed to seep into her fingers. Closing her eyes she drew the coldness into her hands and then reached into it, searching.

 

The hammering on the door grew louder and still Meri remained immobile with her eyes closed.

 

“Meri, I can’t block the door. It sounds like there are quite a few people out there now.” The raised voices could be heard clearly and most strident amongst them was Meri’s mother.

 

Ignoring them all Meri probed deeper and deeper into the coldness that surrounded her brother’s heart until she found what she was looking for. Very carefully she opened her eyes and lifted her hand, turning it over and concentrating on the palm. Something began to shiver there.

 

As John stumbled forward and the door burst open she closed her fingers around the shard of crystal which she slipped into the pocket of her jeans as her mother, grandmother, the doctor and two nurses tumbled in bringing a tumult of noise and activity into the silent stillness. John shot her an anxious look bed and she smiled, very slightly nodding.

 

Engulfed in embraces from her mother and grandmother Meri staggered, fighting to free herself.


“Meri, darling, what on earth do you think you are doing? I know you are upset sweetheart; I know that you must feel terrible that you weren’t here but…”

 

“Meri, this is the last straw; we’ve been through so much without having to cope with your tantrums. This is just not acceptable.”

 

The doctor, who had been hovering in the doorway cut short any further conversation by leaping across the room and silencing them.

 

“Please…” They silenced immediately and all eyes swivelled to her as she bent over Marc “Surely... it can’t be,” she murmured to herself putting her stethoscope to her ears and pressing it against Marc’s chest then, slinging the stethoscope around her neck she pressed her fingers against his wrist. After a few moments she straightened, her face incredulous.

 

“I… I… I don’t… I’ve never…”

 

“What? What is it? What’s happening?”

 

Abandoning Meri, all of the women gathered around the bed. Suddenly exhausted, Meri moved away. She put her arm around Celyn’s waist and rested her head on his shoulder.

 

“Are you alright?” he asked softly.

 

Mererid looked up and smiled with a slight nod. “I’m exhausted but I’ve done all I can. It’s truly over now.”

 

Celyn’s face lost all colour and his eyes widened. “Is he...?”

 

“Wait and see.”

 

“But...”

 

They were all startled when, quite suddenly and without warning Marc gave a deep sigh and opened his eyes. His mother sat down heavily, overcome with faintness and his grandmother, her hand flying to her mouth was wholly unable to speak.

 

“Where’s Meri.”

 

“Oh my darling. I… we… we all thought…”

 

He ignored her entirely. “Where’s Meri?”

 

“Here.”

 

He looked completely exhausted but his eyes were bright and the grin he gave her was more like his old self than anything had been since the whole thing began.

 

Ignoring everyone else who, recovering from their shock had all begun to speak at once and fuss around him; he irritably dodged them to maintain eye contact with his sister.

 

“We really did it didn’t we?”

 

“I think so. It feels… done.”

 

“Where’s Gwyon?”

 

They all looked around but there was no sign of him. Eventually Meri and Marc’s mother spoke up distracted.

 

“If you are looking for that great big hairy man, he’s gone. He said to tell you that he can go home now, to thank you. I don’t know what you’ve been getting up to but he doesn’t seem to be the sort of person you should be getting tangled up with. He looked like some kind of… of… hippie or hells angel or something.”

 

Marc, Mererid and Celyn all smiled and then Marc’s eyes met Celyn’s and the smile disappeared. “I won’t fade this time; I promise,” he whispered.


Celyn looked startled. “What? Here? Now?”

 

“After there and then; there is only here and now.”

 

Slowly Celyn smiled and moved forward. It seemed as if everyone froze, becoming still and silent; maybe they did because no one got in his way, tried to stop him or said anything to him as he drifted forward until he paused at the side of the bed. Marc raised his hand and took his. The fingers were warm and soft and gripped his strongly. At first Celyn’s smile was hesitant and uncertain, but as Marc’s smile grew stronger so did his.

 

No one else counted; no one else existed. Slowly Celyn bent over the bed but Marc shocked him when he sat up and pulled him into his arms kissing him soundly. “There’s no need to treat me like glass. It’s over; truly over.”

 

As sound and motion crashed in on them again they were both lost in the kiss and there was no care for the then and there; whether past or future and they existed only in the here and now.

The story ends but the magic goes on. There are many lonely lakes in the middle of marshes all over Wales, beautiful castles and ancient woods. All of them have their stories, their legends and stories like that never end. They keep playing themselves out over centuries and through worlds. If you are so sure this could never happen, would never happen and for certain wouldn't happen to you, maybe it would be better if you didn't visit Wales, and if you do make sure you never go walking in marshes, or forest, or mountains :)
Copyright © 2012 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 12/06/2012 02:58 PM, SoullessCynner said:
Awwww... It's over. :( This was a great story. Marc and Celyn are cute. :) I enjoyed this very much. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Thank you. I enjoyed writing this story because I delved into Celtic myth and tried to get the sense of mystery and magic in it. I think it kind of works. I'm glad it's finished in a way because I've one of my favourite ever stories to post next :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..