Jump to content
    NightOwl88
  • Author
  • 3,565 Words
  • 7,306 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lovers Blind - 2. Protector

Disclaimer: This story includes sexual and romantic situations between consenting individuals. Any allusion to illicit or illegal activity, sexual or otherwise, is used only for enhancement of the story line and not promotion thereof. Remember AIDS, HIV and other STDs are a very real threat, please always practice safe sex.

I can prove copyright on this story so please don't copy or remove this story for personal use without my permission.
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Lovers Blind 02: Protector

"That’s it, as soon as school is out I am going to the principal and getting my schedule changed." Jake told me as he dabbed the cut on my temple with some wet paper towels from the bathroom.

"No way am I letting you change it again. You've done it twice already this year. Striklin said last time that if you changed it again that it could only work if you matched mine exactly." I said as I suppressed a small smile. I would love to have Jake with me all the time but I wouldn't want to be such a burden.

"Well if that is the only way I can do it then that’s how it is going to be. I am tired of people pushing you around and you getting hurt. Do you realize that this is the third cut you've had in a month? What happens if it is something serious next time like a broken arm or leg? What if one of these days when they trip you don’t get a cut but you snap your neck, then what?" He asked and I could hear the concern in his voice.

"I don't want to be a burden.” I mumbled in defense.

"For the thousandth time you are not a burden." He said sounding oddly happy as he pushed the wet rags harder against the cut.

"Come on, I am taking you to the nurse. I can't get this to stop bleeding." He told me pulling me up and sounding scared.

This is a typical gym class for me, I almost always get some kind of injury; mostly just a bump or bruise but this is the third time this month I have come away with a bad cut. My first one was when someone tripped me and I grazed my arm across a locker door, the second one was up the side of my back. I got that one when I beat Rick Jenkins, the school bully, at one of Mr. James push-up contests.

He had lifted me by my shirt collar and tried to hang me on a towel hook but had lifted me too high and when he let go I ended up hitting the floor and cutting my back on the hook.

This one I got when Rick, for some unknown reason, decided he was going to shove my head against my locker. It doesn’t do any good to tell the principal or Coach James because I can't see him and no one else will step up against him.

"Why are you not in your classes Mr. Manning and Mr. Madsen?" The annoying secretary asked us when we walked into the office.

"This is why we aren't in class.” I said as I lowered the rags from the cut on my head, which from what I could feel was still bleeding pretty badly.

"OH MY GODDNESS how did that happen?!" shrieked someone on my left then I felt an unfamiliar hand grasp my arm and pull me off to the left.

"Sit down and I will see what I can do.” Said the voice again as she pushed me into a chair.

I recognized it this time as Nurse Winston.

I winced as she began to clean the cut and tried to stop the bleeding.

"Here hold this against it.” She instructed as she pushed a warm, wet cloth against my head.

"He'll be ok. You need to go to your class; I will take him to his next one when I have taken care of him.” I heard her tell Jake.

"I am not going any where, I want to talk to Striklin; now." Jake said angrily.

"Mr. Striklin is busy and cannot see you right now." The secretary said dismissively.

"Striklin will see me now or there will be calls made to the school board, and maybe to a lawyer.”

Jake said and you could hear a cocky tone in his voice.

It was rare to see, or to hear in my case, Jake acting this way. He is always quiet and reserved under normal circumstance but when he is doing his protector bit he becomes loud, outspoken, and threatening.

I love it when he gets protective.

* * *

"Mr. Striklin will see you now." The secretary said a few minutes later.

I followed her down the short hall past the nurse, who was still fussing over Zeek, to Striklin's office. Mr. Striklin, the Principal, was sitting behind his desk wearing the same furious expression he had the last time I had demanded to see him.

Though he was pushing his mid-forties he still retained traces of a good looking youth. Though at the moment he looked rather old and imposing; his dark brown eyes bored into you like drills, his broad face was framed by his dark brown beard and hair.

"Sit down Mr. Madsen." He said in a deep, irritated voice.

I took the seat across from him looking him directly in his cold brown eyes.

"Why is it you demanded to see me this time?" He asked curtly.

"I wanted to ask you what you intend to do about the ongoing abuse of my friend Zeek Manning in his gym class." I said in the same curt tone he used.

"I understand gym class is very difficult, especially with Mr. Manning’s handicap.” Striklin said coldly.

"Gym class wouldn't be difficult for him if Rick Jenkins would keep his hands to himself." I replied hoping I sounded as cold as he did.

"And how is it that you know it is Mr. Jenkins that is allegedly abusing Mr. Manning? If memory serves me right, you do not share that class with Mr. Manning?" Striklin asked me in mock curiosity.

"He's always the one that attacks Zeek. Maybe you've forgotten the incident with the towel hook?"

I asked savagely.

"I may be old Mr. Madsen but my memory is as good as ever, and I do not believe that we ever had any proof to verify that Mr. Jenkins had anything to do with that tragic accident." Striklin said in a superior tone.

"Oh it was an accident. I guess Zeek flew four feet in the air and cut his own back on the hook.

And it was never proven that Jenkins had anything to do with it even though he was the only other person in the locker room at the time and he was heard boasting about it to several students’ four of which you yourself talked to." I replied loudly.

"Be that as it may I cannot and will not take action against Rick Jenkins for these accidents without an eye witness to the event. I am afraid that the boasting claims of a seventeen year old boy will not carry much weight." Striklin replied dismissively.

"How about the victims’ testimony and a bit of proof?" Zeeks voice came from behind me.

I turned to find Zeek and the very agitated looking nurse framed in the doorway of Striklin's office.

"Are you telling me that you can prove Mr. Jenkins attacked you without, and forgive me for sounding rude, seeing him do so?" Striklin's tone was skeptical. At that moment I wanted to break his damn nose, principal or not, for taunting Zeek like that.

"Yea that’s what I'm telling you. Sight is one of five senses’; hearing is another. I know Rick

Jenkins voice better then his own mother, I could also hear people in the locker room yelling his name quite clearly as my head collided with my locker. Some were cheering him while others tried to stop him.

Feeling or touch is another of the five senses Mr. Striklin. As I grabbed his arm to try and prevent my collision I felt this, and managed to pull it off him as he left go." Zeek said as he navigated the room with his can and threw a red, rubber bracelet on to the desk.

Mr. Striklin picked up the bracelet and read the name that had been cut into the underside of the band.

" R. JENKINS".

"Well Mr. Manning since you have been able to provide me with proof I will take action as soon as I can. I have seen Mr. Jenkins wear this very band, and given the fact that there is no other R. Jenkins in attendance at this school it won't be very hard to prove your claim." Striklin said in a defeated sort of voice.

I could understand his reluctance to punish Rick. His family, while not rich, was well connected to several influential people in town, some by blood or marriage.

"Thank you very much Mr. Striklin but if I have estimated time correctly I think that Jake and I have another class each to go to", Zeek said as I joined him at the door to lead him out as we were walking out of the door Zeek paused and turned back toward Striklin's desk, "Oh by the way Mr. Striklin, you will be hearing from my parents about this in a few days. They told me if I came home injured again they would be taking action, have a nice day."

"You rock Zeek! Snatching that bracelet off Jenkins and actually keeping it from him." I told him as we made our way back to the secretary's desk. It was good to finally see Striklin taking some action, as well as seeing his face turn beet red at Zeeks rundown of the senses.

"Yea I'm not even sure how I got it. I grabbed his arm when he had his hand against my head so I must have grabbed it when he let go.” He replied in a confused sort of voice.

"Just one more thing to take care of," I said reaching the desk, "Mrs. Anderson I need to -" But she was ready for me.

"Yes I know I already have the paper work filled out and you will be able to start your new classes next week."

"Thank you." I said leading Zeek out of the office.

"I don't see how that’s possible; it's Friday, there isn’t going to be anyone here to file the papers over the weekend." Zeek said behind me as I lead him to his next class.

"I don't care how she does it as long as she does." I replied halting outside a class room.

"You are late Mr. Manning." Mrs. Peaks said as we walked into the room.

"Sorry Mrs. Peaks, there was an accident in gym and I had to go to the office." Zeek replied as I lead him to his seat.

"Very well, Mr. Madsen you need to get to your class, I believe you have a test today." Mrs. Peaks said as I left the class.

"I am on my way there now Mrs. Peaks," I said before turning back to Zeek, "I will be back for you after class then we will get going."

"Sounds good to me, see you in an hour." Zeek replied smiling.

* * *

I heard Jake walking away from me then the class room door open and close as he left. I hadn't missed much of the class; only the first few minutes. I turned on my recorder and listened as Mrs. Peaks told us (to everyone’s despair but mine) that we would be taking and oral pop quiz. This was the reason everyone hated Mrs. Peaks; she was fonder of giving oral exams rather then written tests.

One by one everyone in the class had to stand up to answer her English questions, and then she handed out a packet of papers and told us that we had to write a report on the various information to be handed in on Monday, (another reason she was hated, she was the only teacher that gave out homework over the weekend).

"Mr. Manning I will need a Braille copy in addition to your typed copy." Mrs. Peaks told me as I packed my recorder and study materials. That is the only reason I don't like Mrs. Peaks she always wants me to give her a Braille copy of my work. At first it didn't bother me but after awhile it got to be annoying because it made the homework process longer. I already had to take all my reading materials for my homework and put them through my converter and convert them to Braille so I could read them, then I had to use the speak and spell on my computer to do the work then after it was printed out I had to run it back through the translator so I can hand in the typed and Braille copy.

"Where’s your seeing eye dog at?" I heard someone close to my left say once I stepped out of the class room to wait for Jake.

"Is that you Rick? Well anyway if you are referring to Jake I'm not sure where he is but I'm sure he will be here soon." I knew it was Rick; he was the only one that ever referred to Jake as a 'seeing eye dog'.

"Yea it’s me”, Rick said and I felt him push me up against the wall and he said in a low voice near my ear, "you know, maybe I will drive you home myself we can stop off and have a little...fun on the way."

I tightened my grip on my cane handle ready to beat him with it if he tried to move me. I felt his hand close tightly on my shoulder and was ready to raise my cane when I heard Jakes voice on my right, by the sound of it he was half way down the hall and running fast to get to me.

"Get your hand off him Rick!"

"What if I don't want to, what are you going to do about it?" Rick said savagely, gripping both of my shoulders and spinning me around and pinning my back to his chest.

I was scared to death; Rick had me pinned against his chest with his hands clamped on my elbows so I couldn't lift my arms, I was helpless.

"I said let go of him you son of a bitch!" Jake yelled furiously.

My arms were starting to get numb from the pressure Rick was applying; I struggled against him as he pulled me back a few feet.

"Takes a big man to beat on a blind guy doesn’t it Rick, think you're a big shot picking on someone who can't defend themselves. Let me set you straight you're not a man, your nothing but a pathetic excuse for a human being, a worthless piece of dirt." Jake said his voice coming closer and closer the entire time.

When Jake finished I felt Rick's grip on my arms reduce then he tossed me aside like a rag doll. I managed to stay standing and heard him yelling.

"Get off me! I wasn’t doing anything, get off!!"

"Zeek, Zeek are you ok?" Jakes voice pulled me out of my shock. I felt him grab my hand and put it on his shoulder. I was dimly aware of him guiding me out of the school and across the parking lot to his car.

"Zeek please talk to me.” I heard Jake's voice come to me again. He was so close to me I could feel his breath on my face. All traces of the fury in his voice had vanished and were replaced with fear and concern.

"Take me home please." I finally managed to get out.

Jake helped me into the car then got in himself. I was lost in my thoughts as Jake drove us home. I tried to visualize what the scene must have looked like, trying to remember what we all looked like before I lost my sight but didn't have much luck. I was so occupied being in shock and being afraid I didn't realize we were stopped and the engine was off.

* * *

I lead Zeek into the house and laid his pack and cane near the door before leading him up to his room.

"Sit down and relax. It looks like that cut is bleeding a little bit again, I'm going to go get some stuff to clean it and a bandage; I'll be right back." I told him, taking him over to the bed and walking out of the room towards the bathroom.

I gripped the bathroom sink so tightly my knuckles turned white. I was so focused on getting Zeek away from Rick and getting him home I hadn't thought of anything else, but now standing here in front of the mirror, seeing the fear in my eyes, the reality of it hit me. I was more afraid of seeing Zeek pinned against Rick’s chest, his arms clasped at his sides and the shocked and scared look on his face I was more afraid then than I have ever been in my entire life. Afraid Rick may do something so stupid it would hurt Zeek a lot worse than a cut or a bruise; I couldn't let him get that close to Zeek again.

I grabbed some peroxide and few paper towels and a wide bandage and went back to Zeeks room. He had taken off his glasses and was sitting back against the head board of his bed. His cobalt blue eyes stared emptily at the wall, his face blank of all expression. It was the first time I had ever seen him like this.

* * *

I jumped slightly as Jake sat down next to me; I hadn't heard him come in.

"Its ok, it’s just me." He said soothingly.

"I'm sorry it took so long, I couldn't find the peroxide. This might sting a bit.” He said pressing a wet paper towel to the side of my head.

"It's only a little bit so I don't think we need to bother with the bandage unless it gets worse." He said weakly.

I knew he was trying to get me to speak to him but I couldn't, its not that I didn't want to; it was like my throat was blocked.

I heard him put the bottle of peroxide down on the table and two dull thuds which I guess were his shoes as he kicked them off. I felt him reposition himself as he sat next to me. I shivered slightly as he wrapped his arm around my shoulders. I laid my head on his shoulder and started to cry, wrapping my arms around him wanting to be as close to him as possible.

"I'm sorry Zeek, I should have been there but Mr. Brown held me up in biology. I promise he will never get that close to you again.” He said with a soft determination.

"It's not your fault, he was pissed off and wanted to cause trouble." I said. I had stopped crying but hadn't let go of him.

"Who was he yelling at after he pushed me away?" I asked curiously.

"Four guys jumped on him two from the left and two from the right. They looked familiar but I don't know who they were." He said then was silent for a few minutes.

"You should lie down for a little while; you'll feel better if you get some sleep." Jake said quietly.

"Will you stay with me?" I asked not wanting him to go away.

"Of course I will, I wouldn't think of going anywhere else." He told me in a comforting sort of voice.

We stood up and Jake pulled back the cover on my bed. I laid down and felt Jake lay down behind me. I moved closer to him till my back was pressed against his chest then reached behind me and found his hand I took hold of his wrist and laid his arm across my stomach, I smiled as he slipped his finger tips between the bed and my stomach.

I knew right then, beyond any doubt that I loved Jake and wanted to be with him. I just didn't know how to tell him.

* * *

I wanted nothing more right then but to tell Zeek how I felt about him, but I didn't know if it would be more then he could handle, I will tell him one day, one day soon.

To be continued........
********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Well I hope yall enjoyed the first chapter. As always I want to give a big thanks to Rush for her work in editing. I’ll have the next one to you soon as I can. I’d love to hear what you think so feel free to let me know, good or bad. Drop me an email at allenarcane88@yahoo.com, PM me or leave a review. I read and respond to everything.

.

Copyright © 2011 NightOwl88; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 1
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another great chapter. I like how you are fleshing out the characters. ( I love that phrase, Fleshing out. ) And now that they have their schedules together, life should be a little better. I was a little surprised that Rick was there to do the damage, I would have thought Strikln had already called him in and suspended him.

On to the next!

Link to comment

So now Zeek and Jake will have common schedules? More importantly, perhaps Rick will get a smackdown. He seems to need one. If I were Zeek's parents, I'd hire a very, very good lawyer. Just saying. Thanks for this chapter.

Link to comment

Love story so but it would have been nice if you had indicated whose POV it’s going to be it’s sometimes confusing until you get it 

Link to comment

One of the many things I don't miss about high school is pompous ass teachers who think they're so high and mighty and the students are just dirt on the bottom of their shoes. That principal absolutely deserves a broken nose and more.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..