Jump to content
    old bob
  • Author
  • 2,444 Words
  • 881 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Memoirs of a child of the past century - 13. Chapter 13 : Going my way through mountains (up) and valleys (down)

As I said in a previous chapter, so many things happened together in my life during the years 1970 to 1975 that I don’t know how to be clear enough in the description of this period.

I was no longer alone, for two reasons : first I had with me in GREPAL (term shorthand for my own engineering company) 3 engineers as minority shareholders, who formed and led several working groups and were entirely to devoted me.

Secondly GREPAL was now a part shareholder, on par with the other shareholders, of the 'Community of Technical Studies Ltd' ( the CET), a larger group consisting of civil engineers, sanitary engineers , heating engineers and electrical engineers (see the mandate of the University of Dorigny in the previous chapter).

All these specialists in the CET were used to assist, each in his specialty, the architects commissioned to conduct more or less important objects (apartment buildings, office buildings, schools, hospitals and others). Their mandates were directly attributed by architects and they were dependent on all of those architects, technically and financially.

My position in the CET was special. Some of my activities (planning of studies and realization, coordination of different specialists hired by the architect) also depended on the architect contractor, and were similar to those of the other members of the CET. But another part of my activities, the assistance of project owners, future users of industrial objects, then the design and construction of these projects, led me to get along without an architect and perform myself activities normally carried out by him. For these activities, I was competing directly with the architects usually responsible for the conduct of such operations.

Therefore, other members of the CET regarded me as an obstacle and feared that this part of my activities are were detrimental to their relationships with their customers architects. In short, they felt that my presence in the CET could have a negative effect on their business. It was never openly stated, but I often did understand half aloud. In addition, my political position more liberal left and my support through the Office of Urban Development (led by people of the same political trend) which flowed from it made jealous the other engineers, more right-leaning.

But back to my every day life which was undergoing significant changes, the main one being my move to the ‘select’ suburbs of Lausanne.

A friend of Aldo R., a renowned architect had just completed a set of luxury apartments in Epalinges, a village above Lausanne. I settled there in a brand new apartment, modified according to my indications. Each child had his own room, a large fireplace decorated the living room and the kitchen, equipped with sumptuous devices, opened directly on the living room.

My first acquisition was the installation of a video and audio set (radio and television) covering a whole wall with a multitude of speakers, to the delight of the whole family. Needless to say, the choice of programs was the occasion of many family disputes, the children never in agreement among themselves.

This district in Epalinges was a curious mixture of new buildings and farmland. Right next to our building, a pensioner occupied an old farm and cultivated vegetables around the house. I felt sorry for him because his acreage was reduced o every time new buildings were constructed. At the end, he only had a thin strip of land along the road, just enough to grow some salads!

The offices of the other members of the CET were spread all over the city. Several of them were cramped.

As far as I was concerned, my own office in town consisted of two small rooms and it was impossible to accommodate everyone for coordination meetings. We already had enough trouble to reach an agreement because of our remoteness from each other and everyone quickly accepted my suggestion to move in a single building, the same for all.

At the front of the building where I now lived, a broad lot was available. The CET got from a bank a mortgage sufficient to purchase the land and commissioned Aldo’s friend to construct an office building with 5 floors, with sufficient parking places for employees and customers.

The choice of an architect was in itself a problem. Besides me, every other member of the CET had his own favorite… Aldo R. demonstrated, once again, his ability to negotiate in self-interest, persuading the other members of the CET to abandon their favorites and to accept his choice.

The construction program given to the architect is another example of the differences in mentality and ambition of the members of the CET. We met on numerous occasions and discussions were still very busy. There were strong tensions between some (like Aldo and me), who 'dreamed big' and wanted to have opportunities for expansion included in the building, and other more conservative who did not want a too large building. Many times, some members even got upset and left the session slamming the door.

Given these difficulties, the architect suggested that I should ask a lawyer, shareholder of my own company, to participate as a neutral adviser in these sessions. I also had an ally among the other members. It happened that Charly P. the electrical engineer, was a cousin of my wife. They had grown up together and we had, my wife, him and me, several talks how to calm things down and get the other members to forget their bad temper.Through his influence, the presence of the counsel was accepted.

I drew from this experience a valuable lesson : in any difficult negotiation, it is good not to exacerbate latent opposition, but to encourage everyone to remain calm and, above all, to know how to manage sessions with humor. I became a champion of good jokes , making it possible to relieve the atmosphere.

Another technique I learned is a method developed apparently by the Jesuits. If a participant is asking an embarrassing question, just to answer by another question ! In this regard I once asked a Jesuit friend of mine if this was true. He replied: Who told you that?

I remembered also how I prepared my interview with the committee in charge of the USNC to hire me (see a previous chapter). Before a meeting whatever its importance, success is directly proportional to the level of preparation of the participants and, especially, the level of the person who will have to conduct the session.

I did not lack opportunities to demonstrate my abilities in this regard. Indeed, I spent much of my time leading or participating in sessions, either within the CET, either within my own company.

I remember very well the difficulties we had to agree on the construction of the building of the CET. Each of the six members had his own ideas and the architect who attended our sessions ‘often tore his hair’.

Was it necessary or not to include a meeting room for parties of prestige? Should the offices of the 'bosses' be larger than those of employees? Did we really need a concierge and a receptionist at the entrance? Cafeteria in the basement or just drinks vending machines on each floor?

Once again, we were able to verify the accuracy of the second 'Murphy's Law’ - the time spent treating a question is always inversely proportional to the importance of this question. In other words: it is in the discussion of small problems that we spend most of time !

One of my interventions was much appreciated by everyone: the construction of a gas station reserved for employees and customers of the CET. Through my contacts with importers of gasoline, I managed to conclude a contract for delivery at a price per litre less than 30% of the normal price and especially free installation of distribution columns. We made many friends among the locals, by offering our neighbors the opportunity to fill their tanks at our service station.

Through my new wealth status, the creation of the CET, the development of GREPAL, I had become a personality "recognized" in professional circles.

I was even asked to join the Kiwanis, a global organization of volunteers dedicated to 'changing the world'. Analogous to the Rotary Club, Kiwanis offered an opportunity to create new relationships and becoming a member opened many doors. But I stayed for only a short time. One constraint was to attend meetings regularly. My frequent trips abroad prevented me from being as assiduous as others and I was quickly put 'to the door'.

My membership in the JCES from its creation had introduced me to many young entrepreneurs. Today, I realize that I was like them: a mixture of snob and social climber.

But the real reasons for my success in the 'high society' had nothing to do with my human and professional qualities. I became a 'man frequentable' thanks to my money. Heir to a large fortune, earning lots of money for my various activities, hoping to gain even more in the future, it was expected of me I behave the same way as the other members of the class, to which I had just come, sharing the same prejudices and the same contempt for the less fortunate or less 'well born' classes.

My friends gave me to understand very quickly that being a tenant of his apartment was not up to my new social position. I should very soon buy a beautiful house, well located and big enough, in which I could receive with panache all my new relations, curious to see if I really had become one of theirs.

I was not so favorable to the idea of leaving Epalinges. The apartment we were staying in was perfect for me, just opposite the building of the CET. In addition, I had not the soul of a landowner. Deeply Jewish, my forefathers had left their imprint: not to be attached to a property, always be ready to go, according to the whims of the rulers and their 'pogroms'. But Yvette was dreaming of owning own house, in which we could raise our children our grandchildren and later welcome our great-grandchildren.

One day a member of the JCES, real estate broker, presented to us what he called ‘an extraordinary opportunity’. This was a house built in the 19th century, with three apartments (one per floor) and a large sloping garden with magnificent trees older than 150 years. The owner, another member of the JCES, had inherited it and didn't know what to do with.

The house was located in the 'Lavaux' a wine region above the lake (now World Heritage listed by the UNESCO (see: http://whc.unesco.org/). One apartment was occupied by an elderly couple, who hoped to end their days there and whose evacuation was the only problem opposing the acquisition of this house.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:6514]

On our first visit my wife literally fell in love with this house and its garden. I had to obey and to buy. In fact I was not so keen but the broker convinced me by taking care of getting rid of the occupants and hired my brother in law, a young architect, who had just been out on his own, to renovate the inside.

I regret to this day having been forced to turn out the old couple to put myself in their place. We found a place to relocate the old couple in another part of Lausanne, but this action has certainly not brought to me good fortune.

An apartment on the top floor was created and given to the architect in exchange for his work for the studies and the monitoring of the renovation. A ‘carnotzet’ (a small cellar converted into a wine bar where you can store and taste wine with friends) and a playroom for children were installed in the basement.

My wife wanted to take care of the garden herself, but she contented herself with treating her rosebushes and pluck roses. As the garden was sloping I had to buy a lawnmower engine specifically designed for the mountains to cut grass on the rest of the surface. I also had to pull weeds on paths and sweep the leaves in autumn.

Despite the slope I did flatten a small area and install a small round pool barely big enough to swim but where we could cool off during heatwaves.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:6457]

To have at our disposal a large house, to receive with panache all our friends; to wake in the morning, admiring from our bed the magnificent view of the lake and the mountains; to have breakfast under the trees while listening to the songs of birds around; to work in my office while listening to classical music and looking to the terrace, through the wide open patio door, the children playing in the sun.

My memories of the first part of our stay in the Conversion (1971 to 1974) are all very pleasant.

By 1975, due to my financial problems, of which I will write later, I found it more difficult to assume the financial burden (mortgage interest, maintenance costs) of the house and my situation became darker and darker.

My only regret today is that I didn't understand how such a situation was artificial. To sit back and enjoy a too easy life, apparently carefree, is never right. I forgot that nothing is ever for nothing and that everything has to be paid one day. I had no one near me to make me aware of the risks and counsel prudence, or at least I refused to listen to those, indeed very few, who tried to restrain me.

In my mind, I had reached an unconscious target, deeply rooted in me : to be better than my father, to be more able than him to be successful in both my family life and in my professional life. As I said before, I had suffered much from his attitude towards me. I always felt that he saw in me still the little boy unable to conduct himself properly, that he always had to lead and correct.

I remembered all these years, where every time I took an initiative, even in the most benign acts, he always found something to criticize. One detail often came to mind: when I was buying clothes, my choice was never adequate.

He always picked on details such as the style or color of a suit. His main criticism was always, "you should have asked me." His criticisms were always meant to 'put me in my place', to assert his authority “for my own good”, as he said!

Copyright © 2013 old bob; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Beautiful home, but as we all know, a lot of life's hard learned lessons are cloaked in beauty.

It's fascinating to see how you can see regrets and learn from what happened to you.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..