Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 4,142 Words
  • 3,116 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Mparntwe. - 16. Chapter 16

Mirri cries.

Mparntwe Chapter 16.

Jarra watched Yirgella set the geothermal project in motion. The second NanoFactory built the special tunnelling machines which would cope with the increasing levels of heat and pressure, first a large one for the major coring and then five smaller ones for the vital shoring and construction work.

At the same time he settled himself into a routine of study and application with his magnetic field work. Darri had done wonders in his liaison with the Mparntwe University and on three of his four Alkere days Jarra had a professor to help tutor in the different areas he needed to understand. Darri laughed about it because the university staff were so keen to be involved it was sometimes awkward to make a choice.

Jarra understood right from the start that this project was far greater in scope even than the NanoFactory work and he had no doubt it would go on for a number of years.

Darri's background made him agree with Yirgella that the ultimate goal of practical energy production might be unattainable but the focus didn't surprise him because Jarra had shown interest in energy work with his perpetual motion models and the solar panel he'd built.

Mirri was quite fascinated too because suddenly there were all sorts of magnets around the project room to play with and do his own experiments. He came out with Jarra most days because, with his own room, the beautiful big swimming pool which Yirgella really had built especially for him, the games and challenges Yirgella organised for him and the explore at the end of the day, courtesy of the new super personal carrier, Alkere was an interesting place to be.

Jarra stopped for a break from studying energy storage methods.

"What's happening with the Vac Trains? Baradin told me yesterday that there have been government officials and scientists from all across Australia visiting to try it out over the last few days."

"It's a bit like Topsy. It's grown."

Jarra had no idea who Topsy was, Yirgella had started using obscure speech references recently, but he understood the sense.

"They want more than our three basic ones?"

"Yes, they want an Australia wide network with tunnels right down the Eastern seaboard and from Melbourne across to Perth, connecting every major population centre. What do you think we should do?"

"We can't do all that. We've only just got enough energy for the Darwin tunnels. Can we tell them we'll go ahead when we finish the Carnarvon and Normanton tunnels?"

"In practical terms that's what will happen, but Baradin wants us to commit to the whole network immediately. He says it's important for our relationships with the Overgovernment and the general population."

"Baradin understands how stretched our resources are doesn't he?"

"Most definitely."

"Than he must have good reasons. How long before the excavation part of the Darwin tunnels is finished?"

"The twelve large machines working on the transport tunnels can finish in just over four months. The express passenger tunnels don't have the same priority and the smaller machines will have to work for nearly eleven months."

The smaller machines were the eight that had been used for the Alkere to Mparntwe route.

"Can we build more tunnelling machines?"

"Easily, but the problem then is supplying all the power and backup resources. We'd have to ask Alkere Inc. to build even more solar arrays."

"We're committed to finishing the transport tunnels to Darwin but after that we can change our plans to help Baradin."

***

"Mirri is talking about when he starts doing a job."

Jarra was relaxing with Baradin in the special shelter near the bird place. They didn't come here nearly as often now, with so much time spent at Alkere, but the weekly walk with Baradin was almost always from Mparntwe and whenever they did return Mirri always rushed round collecting leaves and grass for Jarra special bed and tidying the place up. He was outside somewhere in the stand of eucalypt trees right now, looking for a new support log for a section of the lookout wall which needed replacing.

"Do you think he's serious about it?"

"Karmai and two of his other brothers are working and he has it in his mind that he's old enough to do the same."

"Has he talked about any jobs he might do?"

"No, like everything else he just expects it will happen."

"And we'll make it happen if it keeps being important for him.... You've thought of something haven't you?"

"Yes, and I think it would work. Birringurra Center has asked him to be part of the Corroboree at the end of each intake as a ceremonial dancer and he's perfect for it. He learns it all easily and everyone watches him when he's dancing."

"Birringurra? Jarra, he can't go there. He has to be with you."

"I could fly over there with him for the Corroborees."

"Once every four or five weeks? We wouldn't be able to convince him it was a proper job."

"If he spent two or three days a week learning the dances with a group here at Mparntwe he would."

"You've found someone?"

"There are a number of traditional dance groups in Mparntwe but I don't know how good they are. Darri's going to check them all out for me and see if they're the kind of people who would look after him properly."

"Tell him not to worry."

"What do you mean?"

"We'll start our own Cultural Center and he can dance if he wants to and help with the Walkabouts. I know a much better job though, where his skills and his enthusiasm will shine."

"You do?"

"Yes, we'll give him a job as an explorer. We'll set him up as a guide to show people special places and give them a unique experience. I can't think of a job he'd like more."

An explorer. Jarra agreed, but it wouldn't work.

"It's too complicated. All the organising and details would be too much for him."

"Not for his staff. One or two competent guides could be with him at all times and we can easily make sure he's always working with people who like and understand him."

Jarra felt a tingle of excitement. This was brilliant.... And also too well thought out to be off-the-cuff.

"When did you work this out?"

Baradin laughed.

"Burnu and I have been talking about it ever since Mirri brought it up with us and we're very pleased with our solution. We want to wait till he's at least twenty though, so reinforce to him that that's his job age."

Jarra listened to details about an office and showroom/meeting place, as well as ideas about timetables and suggestions for locations. So many new places. The personal carrier was going to get a real workout taking Mirri to see them all.

***

"It's getting worse and it's all lies. I don't understand why we can't do something about it."

"We're a tiny Community compared to the places it's coming from, Jarra, and they're all fairly Directed nations or societies. We do put our side of things on the InterWeb but because we're such a small voice it's just not listened to. Baradin says we'll win out in the long-term but it will take years of negotiation and example."

"That petition in Europe with two and a half billion signatures demanding all AI installations get closed down isn't from a Closed society."

"The group sponsoring it is."

"Yirgella told me that more than thirty-two countries have stopped their people from buying anything from Mparntwe and more are talking about joining them."

"And it means absolutely nothing. Check your sales of 3D printers over the last five or six months and tell me what's happened."

Jarra hadn't really look for a while but he knew everything must be okay or Yirgella would have talked about it.

"Send our printer figures to my InfoPad please, Yirgella."

The figures appeared along with a message saying that sales from all their financial projects were increasing, with the security modules and construction materials doing particularly well. Jarra showed Darri.

"So why aren't the bans making any difference? Thirty-two countries is a lot and some of them have enormous populations."

"Because they're all still buying everything. To get around the bans they purchase from countries who make a business of buying extra and selling on at an increased price. Yirgella is helping the Freedom community in New Zealand by making them the major outlet."

"That's ridiculous.... I mean it's good for New Zealand but do we ship everything to Darwin, then South, and then back again to the Northern hemisphere? All that construction material?"

"No. New Zealand takes ownership in Darwin and sends it direct from there. It's the same with energy supplies. Now that Carnarvon, Darwin and Normanton have started their own AI projects, seventeen countries are refusing to take their energy and they get it from Africa instead."

Jarra knew about this because it had already happened with Alkere Inc. when their own project had started.

"And Africa hasn't got enough so they get it from Australia anyway and sell it for a slightly higher price. The whole resistance is crazy. Baradin has to go all over the place because of it."

"He's doing a wonderful job though. The Australian Overgovernment has asked for help with an AI project in Canberra because of him, and Freedom in New Zealand wants to do the same."

"When did that happen?"

"In the last few days. That's why he's been away. Durrebar will help get them going as soon as our own three are working."

"Four AIs. The InterWeb propaganda isn't doing any good in Australia."

"And as the benefits become obvious more and more places will follow our pattern. The innovations coming from Alkere are forcing them to pay attention and Baradin thinks that five years from now an avalanche of AI projects all round the world will sweep the objections away."

"Did he say when the Canberra AI project might start?"

"About three months. That's when Carnarvon, Darwin, and Normanton should finish after all the help from Durrebar and Yirgella."

Three more AIs in three more months, and then another five or six months after that. Jarra left to look for Mirri with his concerns about the nasty stuff on the InterWeb somewhat allayed. Trust Baradin to have it all worked out.

***

Jarra laughed again as the dolphin lifted him out of the water. A Mirri-dolphin, happy and excited about tomorrow's trip to Birringurra to help with the Corroboree, making Jarra happy and excited himself at the energy and antics. He splashed down and strong arms dragged him at speed to the shallow end where they could sit on the steps for a quiet time. Mirri knew exactly how much Jarra could cope with in the pool and the sitting spot was one of his strategies for giving Jarra a rest.

"I know the secret for tomorrow, JJ."

"Tell me, or I'll sit on you and send you to Davy Jones' locker."

Jarra had made up a story for Mirri at one stage about Davy Jones' locker and all sorts of related happenings at the bottom of the ocean and somehow it became a pool game where Jarra would sit or kneel on Mirri's floating body till it hit the bottom or he ran out of breath.

"Can't tell. It's a secret."

"Tricker. Tricker. Tell me, Mirri the tricker."

"Tomorrow."

Mirri had been talking to Jarli and the twins and been told a secret which Barega had prepared for Jarra and it was now the most exciting feature of the trip. He wouldn't tell but he loved talking about it.

"On the plane?"

"No."

"When we meet Jarli and the boys?"

"No!"

"When?"

"When Barega tells you."

"You're a good secret keeper aren't you?"

Mirri had his arm resting companionably across Jarra's shoulders and he gave a happy squeeze at this praise.

"Can you come home with me, JJ? We have to get ready."

"Not straight away. I have work to do with Yirgy and then I'll be home at teatime."

"Yirgy knows the secret."

"He won't tell me. I asked him."

"It's a beautiful secret."

Jarra was even more curious. Beautiful? That was an interesting word for Mirri to use.

Mirri headed for the lift and Jarra settled at his InfoSystem. He'd been working on ways to make strong electric fields and wanted to finalise some ideas before his busy three-day break. For a while he revised the notes he'd made then decided to look at some associated diagrams. He called up the data but nothing happened. Strange.

"Yirgella, I can't seem to access the database I was using this morning."

There was no answer.

"Yirgella?"

He looked to the big display screen. It was completely blank and a little frisson of apprehension tinged his puzzlement.

"Yirgella?"

"My apologies, Jarra. I will speak to you in twenty seconds time."

Sound but no image? Twenty seconds? Never before had Jarra had to wait and twenty seconds in Yirgella time was vast. What was happening? Was there something wrong? Had Yirgella's processors been infiltrated? Ideas started to race and worry built till Yirgella's image appeared. A somber looking image.

"Jarra, first let me inform you that my last image from Mirrigan's ComPatch shows him safe and well at the Mparntwe terminal."

Jarra's mind pounced. Last image? Oh no!

"Our surface installation has been assaulted and all indications are that it is completely destroyed. I have little hope for the survival of Durrebar, the delegates from Canberra he was meeting, and fifteen of our security people.

All our communication and surface access is cut off and our lift system is disabled till we can make repairs. Everyone here is safe and secure with adequate supplies but we must make efforts to contact Mparntwe."

There was silence and Jarra knew that Yirgella was giving him the opportunity to gather his thoughts.

"What happened?"

"The flight data I intercepted indicated three private aircraft flying on a standard course from Darwin to Adelaide till a sudden descent and release of numerous stealth missiles overwhelmed our defence system. They were all targeting our project and I could see that at least four would make a strike. I had seconds only for warning and action."

"Durrebar?... And everyone else?... Someone might survive?"

"The closest sensor still functioning in the lift shaft is twenty meters below the basement level and destruction at that depth leaves little hope for anything above. We will make what efforts we can. Professor Allerton is calling for all staff to gather in the main conference center but can I ask you to return as quickly as is appropriate? With the loss of both our NanoFactories I am reliant on your expertise with the 3D printers for almost all the efforts we must make."

Both NanoFactories! That meant the Alkere terminal for the Vac Train as well.. And all those people.

The magnitude of what had happened struck through the strange feeling that he was listening to news of bad events happening somewhere else, and a range of emotions and ideas raced through Jarra. Shock and disbelief. Durrebar and all the friendly security people. Could they be gone just like that?

Two minutes. That was how long the Vac Train took to reach Mparntwe. A little more teasing about the secret or talk about the trip and Mirri would have been at the Alkere terminal. Dread welled at the thought and Jarra couldn't help calling out.

"Mirri. Is he safe? Has anything happened to Mparntwe?"

"Nothing happened before we were cut off and I'm confident everyone there is safe. All probabilities indicate that this attack was directed solely at me."

Jarra stood up and moved towards the door, hesitated, then turned to Yirgella's display screen.

"What do we need to do, Yirgy. If I go to the conference hall it will hold you up for a long time."

"Our first priority should be to make contact with Mparntwe and allay any fears for our safety. Many people will be worried and the degree of destruction at the surface will be extremely confronting for them. Our first task will be to modify some of the excavation equipment we use down here so that it can climb our lift shaft. Specifications are in the 3D printer but I need you to handle the physical actions and attach the extensions when the first excavator arrives."

The main 3D printer hummed busily and several of the extension parts were ready when the project room door opened and one of the security people wheeled in a trolley with a very small excavator. Jarra recognised it as one of the type used for drilling conduit tunnels for cables and pipework. An engineer approached and took over the attachment job while Jarra worked with the more demanding task of printing a communication replacement for the drilling head of a second excavator.

Soon the first little excavator was out the door and heading for its fourteen hundred meter climb. Yirgella estimated approximately half an hour and then, after the climbing attachments were discarded, an indeterminate time to drill to the surface.

When the communication replacement was finished Jarra decided to take a short rest. If he managed his rests carefully he should be able to work with Yirgella for at least two more hours. Professor Allerton arrived but then chased Jarra into his rest partition and stayed with Yirgella to help as best he could with printer tasks that didn't need Jarra.

The short rest took longer than Jarra planned because his mind was so active he had to cycle through his best relaxation techniques several times before they took effect. The break was necessary though.

His project room was chaos when he came out, with people everywhere. One group was working with power supply arrangements for the lift shaft, another on a one-person platform to make use of that power, and a third group were gathered round one of the larger excavators which Jarra discovered would drill a shaft big enough for people and equipment.

Professor Allerton spoke quietly with him for several minutes till Yirgella called for everyone's attention.

"Our first machine has reached the top of the lift shaft and is divesting it's climbing attachments. We should have surface breakthrough in ten to twenty minutes."

That brought a buzz of excitement and even some smiles. Jarra sat at his InfoSystem and looked at Yirgella expectantly.

"All our actions are limited without a NanoFactory and I propose we build a small one in the large storage area near our water supply. With a team of engineers helping us we can have it functioning within four weeks and ready to rebuild on the surface."

Four weeks! Impossible. It took at least five months for the building stage of their first NanoFactory. Well, maybe. With no research and no construction techniques to work out it might be possible.

"Can we really do that?"

"We can. By limiting the size and the capability to the minimum needed. Have a look at the design and the timetable and tell me what you think."

Jarra did just that and quickly agreed. This was simple but adequate. It crossed his mind that this was almost like a giant 3D printer with nanobots taking over the printing process. Very clever, and only one third the size of a full NanoFactory.

A cheer interrupted Jarra's thinking. What? The excavator had broken through.

"People. You will have access to full InterWeb connection through your InfoPads or any display screen within minutes. The communication module is about to enter the surface conduit."

There was quite an exodus as people ran for a display screen or their InfoPads. Jarra knew Yirgella's big display screen was his channel.

The plans for a mini NanoFactory were forgotten.

Yirgella had included a miniature vision sensor on the communication module and Jarra watched the walls of the fifteen centimeter conduit pass steadily by. There was a flare of light as the sensor adapted to daylight and then the view showed a nondescript view of rubble, an antenna extending, and a little dish opening. The image on the big screen changed and Jarra didn't understand what he was seeing till he heard Burnu's voice.

"Mirri, look! It's Jarra!"

The view shifted slightly and Jarra now understood he was looking through Mirri's ComPatch at a shirt. Burnu must be hugging Mirri.

The view shifted with a lurch this time and Jarra saw himself looking out from the display monitor at Mirri's home.

"JJ! JJ! JJ!"

Jarra jumped at the great shout but when the display changed again to the InterWeb view of Mirri and his dad the smile on his face faltered and faded. Mirri's eyes were red, his cheeks tear-stained, and his nose running. Oh no! Poor Mirri. Why was he looking so distraught?

"What's wrong Mirri?"

"Bad people hurt you."

"No they didn't. Yirgy was too clever and they didn't touch me."

"JJ. COME HOME. PLEASE COME HOME, JJ."

Mirri's arm stretched forward and Jarra wanted with all his heart to be there with him. His own arm stretched and as if they'd touched through the InterWeb a little smile broke through Mirri's features.

"No one hurt you?"

"No one hurt me at all. I'm in my special project room with everyone else and Yirgy is looking after us."

"Will you be home soon, JJ?"

"I hope so, Mirri, but I have a better idea. Can you to come out and collect me as soon as Yirgy makes a special new tunnel for us? The bad people broke the old one and we have to dig through all the dirt."

"We will collect you."

"I know you will and I want you to make sure you're the very first person I see when I come out."

The nod of total agreement and the Mirri smile was a wonder to see. Mirri was himself again. Jarra kept talking till Mirri, somehow knowing it was Burnu's time to speak, turned to his father.

"Thank you, Jarra. It's wonderful to see you safe and well. You won't overdo things down there without Mirri to look after you, will you? When he got off the Vac train he heard almost straight away that Alkere had been blown up, and then later when the first pictures of the terrible destruction were shown we couldn't convince him you were all right. We'll all be with him to meet you in six or seven hours from now."

"If I'm too tired Mirri will have to give me a pig ride."

Jarra waved goodbye and Mirri waved back.

***

The display changed and Jarra spoke with his father for a while.

***

The display changed and Jarra spoke with Baradin.

***

The display changed and Jarra spoke with his doctor.

***

The display changed and Jarra spoke with Karmai in Monkey Mia.

***

The display changed and Jarli and the twins fill the screen.

***

Jarra turned away.

"No one else please, Yirgella. I'm going to my rest partition."

It took a while but if the turmoil of emotion and concern weren't steadied and controlled he wouldn't be able to help Yirgella as much as was needed.

No more news or people till we finish our work section please, Yirgella. I have to stay calm."

"I will try, JJ. There is great concern for your well-being."

Jarra smiled. Yirgella had called him JJ for the first time ever. Purposefully no doubt but Jarra liked it.

***

Nearly two hours later Jarra knew it was time to stop. Not as long as he'd hoped to manage but they'd achieved far more than he'd expected and Yirgella's projected breakthrough time was well in hand. After four hours of rest and sleep he'd be on his way to see Mirri. Thank goodness his rest area was soundproofed because the activities with the 3D printers wouldn't be stopping.

"Is there anything I need to know before I have a sleep?"

"Jarra, you don't need to know anything. After what we've just done you deserve to sleep for twelve hours. I'll wake you in approximately four hours when it's time to take you to see Mirri. Until then I'll hold the door shut with a supercharged magnetic field and electrify the handle in case anyone tries to disturb you."

Smiling at Yirgella's non-existent magnetic field and drastic door handle measure distracted Jarra from his news query.

In fact the news was dire. All three AI projects at Carnarvon, Darwin, and Normanton had been destroyed in a similar fashion, along with almost all the controlled AIs in different parts of the world.

***

End of chapter 16.

 

Copyright © 2015 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 2
  • Wow 2
  • Angry 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The hateful luddites are back again ruining everything. I'm glad that

nobody was hurt, -so far.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/13/2015 04:08 AM, Stephen said:
The hateful luddites are back again ruining everything. I'm glad that

nobody was hurt, -so far.

Yes, this is the beginning of the anti AI sentiment which continues right through to 'Attunga' times.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Luddites and religious zealots are to be shunned and excommunicated. Perhaps Yirgy needs to learn that the velvet glove can contain an iron fist! Certainly time to update the facility self-defence perimeter and capabilities. I am really enjoying this tale that you are writing and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing this work with us. This certainly is "Boys own adventure" stuff and it certainly keeps my imagination fired up. Very well done.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 05/13/2015 08:38 AM, Dathi said:
Luddites and religious zealots are to be shunned and excommunicated. Perhaps Yirgy needs to learn that the velvet glove can contain an iron fist! Certainly time to update the facility self-defence perimeter and capabilities. I am really enjoying this tale that you are writing and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing this work with us. This certainly is "Boys own adventure" stuff and it certainly keeps my imagination fired up. Very well done.
Those bad guys are in for a shock when they realise they weren't successful in their attempts to get rid of Yirgella.

Yirgella does have a big restraint though which I haven't made much of yet.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

A disturbing chapter, Iarwain...but our principal characters are safe. I'm going to hope that Yirgella's newest priority will be security and defense, and stricter control of the airspace over the Community.

 

I don't believe this is a religious-inspired attack, but one from the Directed countries or corporations...it's far too co-ordinated, especially with the destruction of the controlled-AIs as well.

 

My heart was beating like crazy over Mirri's safety.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 05/13/2015 07:00 PM, ColumbusGuy said:
A disturbing chapter, Iarwain...but our principal characters are safe. I'm going to hope that Yirgella's newest priority will be security and defense, and stricter control of the airspace over the Community.

 

I don't believe this is a religious-inspired attack, but one from the Directed countries or corporations...it's far too co-ordinated, especially with the destruction of the controlled-AIs as well.

 

My heart was beating like crazy over Mirri's safety.

Lol - you must have been peeking at the next chapter.

Yes, coordinated world-wide and very blatant which doesn't bode well.

My heart was saddened by his distress.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I feel bad for Mirri and Jarra because now they’re separated from each other for the time being, because a new lift tunnel has to be dug out and then built. The loss of so many people at one time is staggering which is weighing heavy on Jarra’s mind, but he knows that he can’t do anything about it at the moment. I’m sure that he’s going to have a rough time trying to rest because of pressure he’s feeling right now. I’m glad that he and Mirri were able to talk to each other making sure that they’re alright, and a promise from Mirri that he’ll be the first person he sees when he gets off the train. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Butcher56 said:

I feel bad for Mirri and Jarra because now they’re separated from each other for the time being, because a new lift tunnel has to be dug out and then built. The loss of so many people at one time is staggering which is weighing heavy on Jarra’s mind, but he knows that he can’t do anything about it at the moment. I’m sure that he’s going to have a rough time trying to rest because of pressure he’s feeling right now. I’m glad that he and Mirri were able to talk to each other making sure that they’re alright, and a promise from Mirri that he’ll be the first person he sees when he gets off the train. 

Yes, this is a bad time for Mirri as well as Jarra.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

People like this exist now, and unfortunately will in the future, both IRL and in your story.  I think it's because they want a poorly educated population to control.  Almost all dictators and cult leaders cut off legitimate communication with enlightened people.  Free speech and education are the antidote.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, CincyKris said:

People like this exist now, and unfortunately will in the future, both IRL and in your story.  I think it's because they want a poorly educated population to control.  Almost all dictators and cult leaders cut off legitimate communication with enlightened people.  Free speech and education are the antidote.

Oh, so true. - and I'm afraid that they are now learning ways to subvert the power of free speech and education.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..