Jump to content
    Parker Owens
  • Author
  • 1,476 Words
  • 4,324 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Predator Prey - 11. Turned Loose

em>No warnings needed for this chapter.

Everything happened so fast after Christmas, he barely had time to keep track of the changes.

The day after Christmas, he'd asked Marc to drive with him down to the dealer who sold him his car. He'd gotten as good a deal as he could hope for, and put the money into his one remaining bank account.

Thirty-six hours later, the account had perhaps two hundred dollars left in it, but he owed nobody anything anymore. Except Marc and Lee, who had possibly saved his life. Marc and Lee, who point-blank refused any money he offered them in thanks for their help.

And within another hour after that, Marc had sauntered into the kitchen, grinning. Something was up. Marc's smirk gave that away in a split second.

"You're going to need to pack," he was told.

"Pack? Where am I going?"

He watched uncertainly from the other side of the table as Marc pulled out a chair and sat down.

"I've found you a job," Marc announced.

That was a shock. A job? He hadn't even started looking. Then he remembered the time pressure he was under. He had to go. After all, the parents were coming. Marc had found a way to get rid of him.

"Doing what?" he asked warily.

"I have a friend of a friend down at the Marine Research Station," Marc said diffidently. "He said their research vessel – did you know the University owns its own ship? – needs some volunteer crew for the January term. If you show up tomorrow, they'll sign you on."

He considered this. A month on a research ship wouldn't be all bad, would it? Not much chance of running into Ted and redhead there; plenty of opportunity to stare out over the lonely sea and re-think his life. But – volunteer?

"How much do I get paid? Anything?" he asked.

"You heard me say 'volunteer,' right?" Marc rejoined. "You get to eat, sleep and I think they pay you a stipend. That's university-speak for glorified shit," Marc grinned.

So there would be something at the end of January. How much? Did it matter? It really didn't. This was a chance to get away, get out, and get started again. Maybe figure out a way to make some real money. Maybe figure out a way to forget what had happened to his life.

"Okay," he nodded. "So, how do I get down there?"

"I drive you down tomorrow at seven – in the morning," Marc said.

"Shit, you don't leave me much time, do you?" he complained. Why did he feel guilty about complaining? Because Marc was doing him a favor.

And Marc was grinning, like it was a joke. In a way, it was. Back in the dorm, for the brief time they'd been…together…he'd never been one to get up early.

Marc was speaking again. "Nope. Not much time at all. Listen, I'm sorry about that. But I thought this was a good opportunity for you, and well…"

"No, it's all good," he jumped in, not wanting to show how uncertain about this he felt. He could make a clean break tomorrow. Start over.

So he packed everything he currently owned into a duffle on loan from Marc – it looked as if it had seen plenty of better days – and tried to sleep. Unlike the last few nights, he heard nothing from the bedroom down the hall.

Lee was up with Marc in the early morning darkness to see him off.

"I made you some coffee," Lee said quietly, handing him a full travel mug.

Marc already had one.

"It was nice getting to know you," Lee said to him, awkwardly. "I'm glad you followed us home." And under Marc's watchful gaze, Lee offered him a brief, warm embrace.

"Thanks for everything," he said into the hug.

And then they were out the door, loaded into Marc's ancient Toyota, and on the road down to the coast. It wouldn't take long to get there; perhaps an hour. Traffic was light – the early hour and the time of year combined to make it so. Headlights from the few other cars on the road glared at them in the early morning dusk. Scrubby palms, alternating with banks of lush, tangled growth, dotted the roadside.

They were silent.

Finally, he couldn't contain himself. "Marc?"

"What?"

"Why are you doing this?" he had to know.

Marc remained quiet so long that he thought he was being ignored. But the figure behind the wheel spoke, eventually. "Because of Lee. Because Lee tries to see the good in everyone, and actually believes in love and mercy and all that stuff."

Marc paused a moment, then went on: "And because I love him, I try to live up to that, too. I'm learning to do that. Love. Feel. Have a conscience. If it had been up to me, I'd have fucking slammed the door in your face."

The blond nodded. He knew that.

Marc kept going. "Lee's parents and friends gored him. Lee's boyfriend abandoned him and scrambled so deep into the nearest closet, he got dry cleaned. His own parents practically tore his heart out and sacrificed it on an altar of respectability. And Lee's so-called friends turned their backs on him so fast, you'd think it was choreographed. And despite all that, Lee tries desperately to keep in touch, send cards, and tell them all that he loves them, still. Because he thinks loving is better than hate. I can't come close to living up to that. But I'm going to try, because I love him."

Another mile went by. "So, when I found out about this internship, I knew it could be what you needed. And I knew it was what Lee would have done for you. I made a couple of calls, got it set up. You show up, it's a done deal," Marc said neutrally.

"You've been more than good to me, and I don't deserve it," he began.

"Damn right, you don't, you heartless bastard," Marc interrupted sharply. The anger was still there, despite the days he'd spent with them. "How many kids did you use up on your way to filling your pockets?"

He didn't argue. He knew it was a fair rebuke.

Marc took a moment to calm down, get himself under control. "So when Lee said I needed to forgive you, I tried. Damn and fuck, I tried. And I have to give you some credit; sometimes, I think maybe, just maybe, something behind that frozen mask might have thawed, and you've changed. But sometimes, I think it's all an act."

He sat there, stunned by the vehemence and the truth behind Marc's words.

"But you know, there's one thing, one big thing that makes it really, really hard to forgive you, for what you did to me, to all those boys, to everyone."

He waited, while the painted road stripes zipped past and the sky slowly brightened up in the side mirror on his right.

"You never said you were sorry."

There wasn't anything he could say to that. Every word was true, and every syllable felt like a dagger stabbing into his flesh.

They arrived at the small coastal town where the marine science research station was located in silence. The station itself had once been a marina. When the operator went bankrupt over a decade before, the university stepped in, bought the place, and began converting it to its present purpose. About $120 million of government stimulus money later, the university could boast of a state-of-the-art classroom and laboratory center, a harbor and slip for two handsome research vessels, plus some added marina space to be leased or lent to special friends of the university.

The parking lot was empty as Marc rolled through the gates to the facility. The car drove right up to a spot close to the water. A large vessel was moored broadside to the shore. A boarding ramp connected the dock area to the deck.

He got out, and unloaded his duffel from the back seat. He slammed the creaking door shut. The sun rose over the horizon, blinding him temporarily. He turned to go, but heard Marc calling out the passenger side window.

"Listen," Marc said hastily, over the idling engine, "there's something I forgot to tell you. To get this job? You have to change your major. You're a Marine Science major now. I'll make sure to change it for you."

He started to protest. He knew shit all about marine science. His last biology course had been in freshman year – of high school.

But Marc cut him off. "And for the record, just so you know. I don't hate you anymore."

And with that, Marc put the car in gear, and drove off.

em>Craftingmom is a peerless editor. I thank her most sincerely. Tim, Carlos and Spike provided beta-help and encouragement, for which I remain most grateful.
Please consider leaving a review, comment or response. They are invaluable.
Copyright © 2017 Parker Owens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 45
  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 12/02/2016 09:09 AM, Mikiesboy said:

The Predator At Sea: pretty apt title i think. Good chapter Parker...

Thanks, tim. Glad you liked it. And I love the new title...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

TP is going to have to learn how to be a human. While onboard a ship. Becoming a marine biologist.

 

I hope he doesn't get seasick! (Wouldn't that be ironic!)

 

Mikiesboy's title needs a subtitle: The Predator at Sea: Marc's Revenge.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/02/2016 09:20 AM, droughtquake said:

TP is going to have to learn how to be a human. While onboard a ship. Becoming a marine biologist.

 

I hope he doesn't get seasick! (Wouldn't that be ironic!)

 

Mikiesboy's title needs a subtitle: The Predator at Sea: Marc's Revenge.

TP is going to generate a whole slew of new titles! I'll have to keep a logbook, like they do on board ship. But the whole intern thing does seem like a big comedown, doesn't it?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great chapter!! Marc's effort to forgive TP really spoke to me. I don't forgive easily, but everything he said was so true. I think I just learned a life lesson. Thank you!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

The most powerful words of the chapter: I don't hate you anymore.
Interesting twist. I'm kind of hoping he'll get seasick. ;) lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I LOVE it! TP at Sea: Marc's Revenge!! Awesome! Maybe Marc paid someone to throw him overboard or something. Hehe

 

Seriously though, I agree with Val; when Marc told TP he didn't hate him anymore I teared up. Dammit! No mercy for TP! No mercy for TP! lol Marc is learning from Lee how to forgive. Amazing.

 

A little technical question, though: Marc wouldn't really be able to change TP's major, now would he?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/02/2016 11:08 AM, Okiegrad said:

Great chapter!! Marc's effort to forgive TP really spoke to me. I don't forgive easily, but everything he said was so true. I think I just learned a life lesson. Thank you!!

Marc is trying, at least for Lee. I don't think it us faking it til he makes it, more like attempting something and trying to get it right... And knowing that he's doing it imperfectly. The final line he delivers sums it best, perhaps. Many thanks for continuing to read this story...and for your comments!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/02/2016 12:29 PM, Valkyrie said:

The most powerful words of the chapter: I don't hate you anymore.

Interesting twist. I'm kind of hoping he'll get seasick. ;) lol

TP seasick? Given is much else t gat failed to turn his stomach, I'm not sure. But I agree with you about Marc's last line. Thanks for your thoughts and support...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/02/2016 04:12 PM, Lisa said:

I LOVE it! TP at Sea: Marc's Revenge!! Awesome! Maybe Marc paid someone to throw him overboard or something. Hehe

 

Seriously though, I agree with Val; when Marc told TP he didn't hate him anymore I teared up. Dammit! No mercy for TP! No mercy for TP! lol Marc is learning from Lee how to forgive. Amazing.

 

A little technical question, though: Marc wouldn't really be able to change TP's major, now would he?

This chapter could spur its own forum on chapter titles, it seems. One doesn't want to show mercy to TP; Marc is certainly struggling with it...but maybe the mask is coming off, and the awful man behind it may not be there anymore.

 

As for the technical question you pose, Marc shows he has a few devious connections of his own...I expect he may have a friend who can figure out the administrative computing necessary to make the changes....

  • Like 1
Link to comment

But is he sorry? Does he truly care about the destruction he caused? I certainly feel like he regrets it. But he's spent so much time burying his conscience that he doesn't express things like regret easily.

 

Moreover, Marc is correct, he never did apologize. But would it have mattered if he did? Would Marc even have believed it or accepted it? I'd think not, so what would be the point of the empty words?

 

This interaction was one of my favorites. It gave me a bit of a glimmer of hope for our dear protagonist, and helped me respect Marc much more.

 

Now onto adventures at sea.

Edited by spike382
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I think the "I don't hate you anymore" line is two-sided. I think in part, Marc is showing his personal growth because of Lee, but I also it's a way for him to say TP isn't worth that much emotion. I hope TP gets that. Anyway, good on Marc for taking CONTROL of the man who controlled him to near death. Fitting, I would say. There's a part of me that wonders if there are unpleasant surprises on board this ship. I hope not... for it would mean Marc is still damaged... and that wouldn't be good for Lee. Great chapter, Parker... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/03/2016 02:08 AM, spikey582 said:

But is he sorry? Does he truly care about the registration he caused. I certainly feel like he regrets it. But he's spent so much time burying his conscience that he doesn't express things like regret easily.

 

Moreover, Marc is correct, he never did apologize. But would it have mattered if he did? Would Marc even have believed it or accepted it. I'd think not, so what would be the point of the empty words.

 

This interaction was one of my favorites. It gave me a bit of a glimmer of hope for our dear protagonist, and helped me respect Marc much more.

 

Now onto adventures at sea.

I cannot say if Marc would have accepted an apology. Quite possibly not; but an apology might have helped stem the hurt and bitterness, perhaps. TP seems sorry, as you say, and you are quite right in thinking that he probably can't articulate it. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that TP is learning to be sorry. He surely feels it more and more. I am glad you have respect for Marc; he has had a very long journey, I expect. Thanks for your remarks, and for your patience as I have taken such a long time to respond.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/03/2016 09:32 AM, Headstall said:

I think the "I don't hate you anymore" line is two-sided. I think in part, Marc is showing his personal growth because of Lee, but I also it's a way for him to say TP isn't worth that much emotion. I hope TP gets that. Anyway, good on Marc for taking CONTROL of the man who controlled him to near death. Fitting, I would say. There's a part of me that wonders if there are unpleasant surprises on board this ship. I hope not... for it would mean Marc is still damaged... and that wouldn't be good for Lee. Great chapter, Parker... cheers... Gary....

TP must feel fresh burns from the scorching heat of Marc's words on the way down. I think Marc's parting words reflect precisely what you suggested: he's trying to grow and get over what TP did. In so doing, Marc is again claiming direction and ownership of his life - and reminding TP that their chapter together closed long ago. As for what happens next...that comes soon. Thanks for your reflections and thoughts, and for your patience as I have been slow to respond this week. - P

  • Like 1
Link to comment

In like Marc here. Whether he's doing it because of Lee, this has strengthened him and allowed him to take back his life. Saying he doesn't hate TP anymore allows him to write his own story and that's huge for healing and moving on.

 

TP at sea.. Hmm.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/29/2016 03:52 AM, Defiance19 said:

In like Marc here. Whether he's doing it because of Lee, this has strengthened him and allowed him to take back his life. Saying he doesn't hate TP anymore allows him to write his own story and that's huge for healing and moving on.

 

TP at sea.. Hmm.

Marc is a man who made the journey back to wholeness, or somewhere near it. He never wants to revisit the black places TP made him go, and he remembers that TP made him go. That he does not hate TP anymore is a testimony to Lee's love, and to the will to travel a different highway. Marc's story is so very different TP's, which is even now being written...many thanks got taking up the story!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Gotta smile here. Of course reform is easier with help. I have a feeling our boy is about to get some more, too.
Shh. Don't tell me!

Link to comment
On 01/30/2017 10:30 AM, Geron Kees said:

Gotta smile here. Of course reform is easier with help. I have a feeling our boy is about to get some more, too.

Shh. Don't tell me!

Marc's form of help may seem unusual and a bit hurried, but then, perhaps this is a good course for the predator to take. If nothing else, it gets him away from campus for a while. Thanks for your continued reading!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Marc probably saw and realised TP was sorry even without him uttering the words. In his own way he did say he’d forgiven him finally or so I believe. For to utter ‘I don’t hate you anymore’ would not be possible without forgiveness. 
This Marc’s revenge’ is actually Marc telling TP, a proof that ‘I forgive you and I don’t hate you anymore’ 

Beautiful chapter Parker.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Reed1101 said:

Marc probably saw and realised TP was sorry even without him uttering the words. In his own way he did say he’d forgiven him finally or so I believe. For to utter ‘I don’t hate you anymore’ would not be possible without forgiveness. 
This Marc’s revenge’ is actually Marc telling TP, a proof that ‘I forgive you and I don’t hate you anymore’ 

Beautiful chapter Parker.

Thank you for your kind words. Marc has traveled a long way not to hate any longer. TP has a journey of his own to make. Thanks again. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..