Jump to content
    Parker Owens
  • Author
  • 1,356 Words
  • 3,842 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Predator Prey - 16. Led Home

em>No warnings needed for this chapter.

The remaining hours in the Feigenbaum's January cruise passed in a blur. One incident stood out. It happened during his last morning watch with the Marine Technician. The labs seemed split between scientists frantically finishing experiments or data sets, and other researchers carefully cleaning up their spaces and equipment.

"Wally, those boxes get stowed in the forward compartment below. Make sure the number on the shelf matches the code on the box," Haskins called out to him.

"Sure thing." At least Haskins didn't insist on the nautical replies the others did.

He turned and spotted his pasty faced assailant in the corner of the lab a few feet away. On a ship like this, very little was distant. In front of the unfortunate researcher stood a very serious looking Javier Cabrera holding a lethal-looking dissection scalpel.

"Look what I found in the galley stores this morning," he overheard Cabrera say conversationally.

The moon face stared with eyes wide at the sharp blade as the Engineer rolled the instrument between his fingers.

"You wouldn't want to lose it, would you, doctor? Mistakes on board ship can be very…expensive, no?"

He saw his antagonist nod once.

"In fact, maybe this whole episode might convince you to stay on shore next time, don't you think? Take time to rethink your research methods, you understand?"

He could read complete defeat in the fat man's face, even as a chill ran up his spine at how close he'd come to being cut wide open. Or raped again. Or both.But he couldn't stay and watch. He had work to do.

Eight hours later, the Feigenbaum made its way back up the river channel and slipped into its berth at the Marine Research Station. With that, the research party swiftly disembarked. The crew took more leisure in packing and leaving the ship, but not much. The Feigenbaum's mini-refit had only five days to run, and everyone had to be on shore as soon as possible.

Cookie had handed him an envelope with an apologetic smile. "Listen, Wally, you’re not exactly crew, and you're not exactly research party. Cap told me to put you on to the books as a regular intern for the next cruise, but that kind of puts you into a bind for your January stipend."

He didn't understand, and his blank look told the purser an explanation was in order.

"There's five hundred dollars in that envelope. It’s an advance on your pay for this cruise and the next. By then we'll have you on the ship's payroll. But that should hold you for the next week or so."

He gratefully accepted the cash. He'd need it to survive the next week. He listened to the eerily quiet ship. His roommate, the earnest Joshua, had already departed. He looked about the tiny stateroom as he deliberately stuffed all of his gear into Marc's hand-me-down duffel. He knew nothing about the town in which the Research Center stood, except that it was small. What in hell was he going to do for five days?

He had already ruled out calling up Lee and Marc and begging for a room. They'd done enough. Calling his parents was utterly out of the question.

He crammed his last t-shirt into the bag and heaved a heavy sigh. He heard a soft knock on the door. Opening it, he found Javier Cabrera waiting on the other side.

The deep gravelly voice spoke gently. "Hey, Wally. You're coming home with me."

Cabrera wasn't asking.

"I am?"

The older man nodded. "Got your stuff ready?"

"Why am I going home with you?"

"Because you need to," was the gruff reply. The Engineer turned and headed for the ladder to the upper deck. He stopped a moment and looked back. "You coming?"

What was there to lose? He had no place else to go, and Javier Cabrera seemed like a good guy.

"Yeah, I'm coming." He shouldered his duffel, grabbed his other bag, and followed.

The gangway once again connected the Feigenbaum with the shore. From its deck end, he could see knots of people in the parking lot, chatting, greeting one another, packing up, getting ready to go. Tall, stately royal palms lined the end of the parking lot, stirring in the gentle breeze. For a winter's day, it was surprisingly warm.

A twinge of sadness hit him. Nobody was there for him. There never would be. Marc had been right about that: he didn't deserve it. He wondered for the umpteenth time what Lee and Marc were doing now. He was fortunate to be going with Javier Cabrera, who appeared to have taken pity on him, possibly at the Captain's insistence. He'd have to ask why – later. He trailed down the gangway after the Engineer.

At the bottom of the gangway, he stepped onto land again for the first time in several weeks. The air smelled heavy with the scent of earth and vegetation. He stared about himself, a little vacantly. Cabrera had walked off to the left, toward a green sedan parked at the far end of the lot where there would be shade most of the day.

"Hey, Wally, this way," he was being summoned.

"Okay." He turned away and walked behind the Engineer to his car. He tried to put the anxiety he felt in the pit of his stomach aside.

"Just dump your stuff in the back seat," he was told.

A few moments later, the pair of them rolled out past the gates and headed south into the small town where the Research Station was located. The car smelled stale and a little musty. Javier put his window down.

They passed down a main street: a couple of banks, a gas station, three or four bars. A fairly quiet, ordinary little town, really. They drove further on, into a residential area.

The left turn signal ticked noisily; Cabrera spun the wheel and made the turn.

"Thanks for taking me home with you," he said awkwardly into the quiet car.

"You needed a friend," the darker man said simply.

"How'd you know?"

Cabrera kept his eyes firmly fixed ahead of him. "I've seen the video."

The turmoil in his gut got ten times worse. "How?" he croaked out.

"Someone who knows I'm gay showed it to me before the cruise. Thought it was cool or something."

Another turn, down a smaller street. Low ranch houses lined both sides.

So the Engineer was a gay man. "You knew all along?"

"Sure. You're hard to forget. Don't worry, I'm not gonna bust you."

But that was hardly reassuring. He was being taken to the man's home. What would happen there? What was expected of him now? He wasn't sure he liked the ideas that were occurring to him. He felt sick.

"Maybe you don't want me to…"

"Wally, it's cool. Our house is a safe place. My husband knows I bring home students to stay over once in a while, and he'll be okay with your being there."

Husband? There was a husband? He looked again at Cabrera's left hand. Sure enough, there was a simple gold band on his ring finger he hadn't noticed before. But the man wasn't finished talking.

"Just a few house rules, Wally. You never hit on my husband or on my stepson. Never. You clean up after yourself. And if you go out, tell us where you’re going and when you'll be back."

The surprises just kept coming. "You have a son?"

"Stepson. My husband's boy. His ex didn't want anything to do with him when they split. Michael is a sweet, smart kid. Nobody hurts Michael." The last was spoken with a quiet ferocity that left no doubt about what would happen to the first person who injured the boy in any way.

"Okay. I got that."

The car turned again, this time to the right. It slowed in front of a modest single story house. White siding, turquoise shutters. Lush tropical shrubs surrounded the yard. They pulled into the driveway behind an older SUV.

"We're here. Home sweet home, Wally," Cabrera announced.

em>I give Craftingmom my many thanks for her excellent editing and encouragement. Carlos, tim and Spike acted as wonderful beta-readers, and deserve everyone's thanks.
Please leave a review. I appreciate all remarks, good or critical.
Copyright © 2017 Parker Owens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 41
  • Love 2
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I had a feeling that he would end up being Wally's saving grace (in more ways than one). Wally has grown so much, and I think he wants to keep a hold on the possible new life he's beginning.

Link to comment

What a wonderful pair of chapters! Dark and light - the contrast isn't forced upon us. Instead, the actions of the second flow on from the first. Wally does seem to attract guardian angels, doesn't he? I've given up trying to second guess you. I just read on in awe. :yes::)

Link to comment
On 01/01/2017 10:50 PM, JayT said:

I had a feeling that he would end up being Wally's saving grace (in more ways than one). Wally has grown so much, and I think he wants to keep a hold on the possible new life he's beginning.

Javier Cabrera is clearly a very good man, not just a good mechanic, engineer or mentor. Wally had no idea, and then the worst idea about what was to happen, at least until Javier showed him what was really happening. You are right in that Wally doesn't want to escape the Feigenbaum, even though he may not feel completely safe there. Thanks for reading and for your comments!

Link to comment
On 01/02/2017 03:46 AM, droughtquake said:

Wow! Cabrera is full of surprises! I wonder if Lee and Marc know him and arranged with him to get Wally onboard?

Some things we best left unexplained. :) But I am glad this chapter surprised you. Thank you for sticking with the story so far...

Link to comment
On 01/02/2017 06:32 AM, Geemeedee said:

A husband and a stepson? Whoa. Didn't see that coming.

Some people are quiet and can surprise the heck out of you. Javier clearly just did that to Wally. I am glad you found this chapter twist a little unexpected. Wouldn't want everything to be predictable. Many thanks for your comments and for reading thus far into the story.

Link to comment
On 01/02/2017 09:43 AM, northie said:

What a wonderful pair of chapters! Dark and light - the contrast isn't forced upon us. Instead, the actions of the second flow on from the first. Wally does seem to attract guardian angels, doesn't he? I've given up trying to second guess you. I just read on in awe. :yes::)

Wally has attracted several angels, though whether they are guardians is another matter. Lee and Javier both qualify, certainly. If this chapter and the last we're a bit unexpected, then I have done my job a bit. Not everything I write should be as predictable as it usually seems...many thanks for your encouraging comments. Hope the reading is worth the while!

Link to comment

TOTALLY didn't expect that one! There's a husband? And a stepson? lol Cabrera's gay? lol

 

Wally definitely made some friends on the ship. And now I know why Cabrera was so hard on TP. Actually, so as not to confuse anyone (and myself), I'll just nickname him TP2. lol

 

I really liked this chapter, Parker. Wally is certainly maturing, and I can tell he's very regretful of everything he did in his past. He may actually be redeeming himself. :lol:

Link to comment
On 01/02/2017 01:38 PM, Lisa said:

TOTALLY didn't expect that one! There's a husband? And a stepson? lol Cabrera's gay? lol

 

Wally definitely made some friends on the ship. And now I know why Cabrera was so hard on TP. Actually, so as not to confuse anyone (and myself), I'll just nickname him TP2. lol

 

I really liked this chapter, Parker. Wally is certainly maturing, and I can tell he's very regretful of everything he did in his past. He may actually be redeeming himself. :lol:

I am absurdly pleased that this was such an unexpected turn of events for you. But then, Wally's life has been hardly predictable for the past few months, has it? Wally is undergoing a change, as you say. Thank you so much for reading so far into the story, and for your vey kind words.

Link to comment

So Cabrera does turn out to be good for Waly.. Yet another person in his corner, and someone who's seen the video. It seems that if TP/Wall can keep focus on that new start he wants, there's there are positive opportunities and friendly faces.
It's not impossible for him to think he doesn't deserve it, and we don't know what's in the wings. (It's all going too smoothly) But it's within his reach and he might just have me believing he's worth the second chance.
Great stuff Parker....

Link to comment

Is this the beginning of a network for Wally? A new family... one he needs desperately? What ever it is, he has another opportunity to to prove himself... to grow. An encouraging turn of events, Parker... G

Link to comment

Wow. People like Cabrera exist everywhere. The small things they do every day for others should be recorded, but seldom are.
I hope this is really the lifeline it looks to be. The one first handed out by Mark and Lee, and passed along by those aboard ship. Acceptance. Friendship. People that care. Wally, alone in a strange place and at loose ends for a week - anything could happen. But maybe, now, that anything will be a good thing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/03/2017 06:14 AM, Defiance19 said:

So Cabrera does turn out to be good for Waly.. Yet another person in his corner, and someone who's seen the video. It seems that if TP/Wall can keep focus on that new start he wants, there's there are positive opportunities and friendly faces.

It's not impossible for him to think he doesn't deserve it, and we don't know what's in the wings. (It's all going too smoothly) But it's within his reach and he might just have me believing he's worth the second chance.

Great stuff Parker....

Cabrera appears to be someone trustworthy. I'm sure Wally had a gut wrenching moment of fear that he'd gotten himself into something awful. Instead, he turned out to be very, very fortunate. Things are developing smoothly, but Wally surely understands that it all could go very badly wrong all too quickly. Many thanks for your patience, and for reading the story!

Link to comment
On 01/04/2017 03:11 PM, Headstall said:

Is this the beginning of a network for Wally? A new family... one he needs desperately? What ever it is, he has another opportunity to to prove himself... to grow. An encouraging turn of events, Parker... G

Certainly, this looks like a new friend, one he needs to survive on shore, once he stays there. And you are right, too...this is an opportunity to prove something about himself and to himself. You completely read my mind. Many thanks!

Link to comment
On 01/31/2017 08:46 AM, Geron Kees said:

Wow. People like Cabrera exist everywhere. The small things they do every day for others should be recorded, but seldom are.

I hope this is really the lifeline it looks to be. The one first handed out by Mark and Lee, and passed along by those aboard ship. Acceptance. Friendship. People that care. Wally, alone in a strange place and at loose ends for a week - anything could happen. But maybe, now, that anything will be a good thing.

There are saints and angels in every corner, it seems. Cabrera is one of them. This is superbly a lifeline, but Wally must have felt a gut-wrenching moment of fear when Javier told him he'd seen the video. A place to be accepted and sheltered will be more than Wally could have hoped for. And will indeed be a very good thing, Again, let me thank you for reading the story!

Link to comment

Someone who's seen the video, realizes Wally needs a friend, and offers himself. This is the picture of generosity of self. Well done, Javier!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, BlueWindBoy said:

Someone who's seen the video, realizes Wally needs a friend, and offers himself. This is the picture of generosity of self. Well done, Javier!

Javier is a generous soul and a very good man indeed. Wally is lucky to have encountered him. Thanks for reading!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..